|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the vendor approaching Margret's house?
(a) Louis Yare.
(b) Lois Yare.
(c) Lois Dare.
(d) Louise Yare.
2. What does Mr. Holmes do after leaving the office at night?
(a) Goes home to cook dinner.
(b) Meets some friends at a club.
(c) Takes a walk into the country.
(d) Goes to a bar.
3. Where does Dr. Knowles go when he leaves the Howth home?
(a) A bar.
(b) The church.
(c) His own home.
(d) The mill.
4. What is the name of the textile mill where Margret worked?
(a) Indiana Woolens Inc.
(b) Knowles & Howth Inc.
(c) Knowles & Knowles Inc.
(d) Knowles & Co.
5. What was Mr. Howth's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margret hope people will know from her story?
2. Who is the black man who works for the Howth family?
3. Where does Mr. Howth wait for Margret's return home?
4. Who follows Margret home?
5. Why is the money from the mill such a powerful lure for Mr. Holmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Margaret realizes that someone follows her home? Who is it an why is he following her?
2. In addition to Margret's engagement, what other good fortune occurs for the Howths on Christmas Day?
3. What is Lois' impression of Miss Herne as she passes by Lois' wagon?
4. What is Lois' philosophy in life?
5. What new arrangements has Mr. Holmes made for his future regarding the mill and marriage?
6. Describe the scene in which Lois dies.
7. What is the House of Refuge?
8. How much time passes as Mr. Holmes recovers and who is a constant companion for him?
9. What are the indications that the Howth family has been struggling with poverty since Mr. Howth's blindness?
10. Explain the irony of Mr. Holmes' behavior toward Joe and the ultimate destruction of the mill.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)