|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whom does Lois place all her trust?
(b) Mr. Knowles.
(c) Her father.
(d) Reverend Hall.
2. Where does Dr. Knowles go when he leaves the Howth home?
(a) A bar.
(b) His own home.
(c) The church.
(d) The mill.
3. What is Margret glad that her father cannot see?
(a) The shabbiness of the furniture.
(b) The empty cupboards.
(c) Her mother's weary face.
(d) That she and her mother have sold many household items.
4. Who is Mr. Pike?
(a) A clerk at the mill.
(b) A chimney sweep.
(c) A delivery man.
(d) A grocer.
5. What is the name of Margret's long lost dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mr. Howth's profession?
2. Who is buying the mill from Dr. Knowles?
3. What does Dr. Knowles do when walking with Mr. Howth outside?
4. Why is Margret so intent on having the job at the mill?
5. From what ages did Lois work at the mill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan that Mr. Holmes intends to launch on Christmas Eve?
2. Who arrives at the Howth house as Margret and Tiger are getting reacquainted?
3. How does Mr. Holmes finally work up the nerve to propose to Margret?
4. Where does Dr. Knowles take Margret after he finds her sitting against the stone wall on the roadside?
5. For what reason does Mr. Holmes leave Miss Herne's carriage on the road?
6. What does it do to the story when the author introduces Mr. Holmes' point of view in Chapter 10?
7. Describe the use of symbolism related to New Year's Eve and New Year's.
8. How has Dr. Knowles' life been impacted by the destruction of the mill?
9. Margaret realizes that someone follows her home? Who is it an why is he following her?
10. Where does Mr. Holmes go before he makes the trip to the Howth home on Christmas Eve?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)