|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who follows Margret home?
(a) Frankie Murray.
(b) Mr. Howth.
(c) Jerry Grayson.
(d) Dr. Knowles.
2. What keeps Joe from interacting with the people he sees on the street?
(a) His shyness.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) His lack of money.
(d) His criminal record.
3. How does Lois now make her living?
(b) Selling produce.
4. With whom does Lois share her room?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her father.
5. What time of day is it when Chapter 2 begins?
(d) Late afternoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Holmes feel about his broken engagement to Margret?
2. What does Mr. Holmes do after leaving the office at night?
3. Who is the vendor approaching Margret's house?
4. What is Margret glad that her father cannot see?
5. Which of the following is NOT part of Margret's trip to return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts does Mr. Holmes have of Margret as he lies in the hospital?
2. What literary technique does the author use when writing this sentence: "These churches lifted their hard, stone faces insolently, registering their yearly alms in the morning journals."
3. Why had Margret broken her engagement to Mr. Holmes?
4. What are the circumstances in which Lois saves Mr. Holmes?
5. What news does Lois share with the Howths?
6. How does the author describe the differences in the way Lois and Holmes perceive the world?
7. How does Margret explain how Dr. Knowles always watches her?
8. Why is Mr. Holmes so depressed about the imminent approach of Christmas?
9. What is the plan that Mr. Holmes intends to launch on Christmas Eve?
10. How can the character of Lois be compared to the character of Little Eva in UNCLE TOM'S CABIN?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)