|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Holmes encounter as he approaches Lois' house to visit her on Christmas Eve?
(c) Mr. Pike.
(d) Dr. Knowles.
2. Dr. Knowles shows Margret the corpse of a 15-year-old girl who committed suicide by __________________-.
(a) Drinking herself to death.
(b) Shooting herself.
(c) Slitting her wrist.
(d) Hanging herself.
3. Which of the following does Lois NOT think about Miss Herne?
(a) She is a sham.
(b) She is kind.
(c) She is heartless.
(d) She is cruel.
4. Who does Lois see in an approaching carriage?
(a) Mr. Holmes.
(b) Dr. Knowles.
(c) Mr. Howth.
(d) Miss Herne.
5. What is Dr. Knowles' reaction to the fact that Margret will be marrying Mr. Holmes?
6. Dr. Knowles capitalizes on Margret's ____________________.
(a) Organizational skills.
(c) Need to feel needed.
7. Why does Mr. Holmes say he is going to marry Miss Herne?
(a) He is obligated to do it.
(b) He is crazy about her.
(c) He will learn to love her.
(d) Her money will be beneficial for him.
8. What does Lois do after her father walks her home?
(a) Secretly follows him back to the mill.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Sets out the breakfast dishes.
(d) Loads her wagon for deliveries.
9. Dr. Knowles knows that Margret is capable of _______________.
(b) Selfless love.
10. Who follows Margret as she walks home on Christmas Eve?
(b) Mr. Holmes.
(c) Dr. Knowles.
(d) Miss Herne.
11. In what month did the fire at the mill occur?
12. Who has agreed to work with Dr. Knowles at his new institution?
(b) Mrs. Howth.
(d) Mr. Holmes.
13. Why does Margret tell Mr. Holmes that she cannot marry him?
(a) She finds him repugnant.
(b) She does not love who he has become.
(c) She cannot leave her parents.
(d) She is engaged to someone else.
14. What does Lois see when she awakens?
(a) Suspicious shadows.
(b) The sunrise.
(c) The fire at the mill.
15. Who does Dr. Knowles meet as he leaves the hospital?
(c) Miss Herne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characteristics does Miss Herne NOT expect of Mr. Holmes?
2. What does Mr. Holmes do that surprises Margret?
3. What will Dr. Knowles call his new institution?
4. Which of the following is NOT something that depresses Mr. Holmes?
5. Where does Dr. Knowles lead Margret on the way home?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)