|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Mr. Holmes NOT admit to Margret?
(a) He did love her.
(b) He has ambitions.
(c) He still loves her.
(d) He never loved her.
2. Who has agreed to work with Dr. Knowles at his new institution?
(a) Mr. Holmes.
(b) Mrs. Howth.
3. Why does Mr. Holmes say he is going to marry Miss Herne?
(a) He is obligated to do it.
(b) Her money will be beneficial for him.
(c) He will learn to love her.
(d) He is crazy about her.
4. In what month does Dr. Knowles visit Mr. Holmes at the hospital?
5. What is the tavern used for by some Negroes?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A church.
(c) A community center.
(d) A stop on the Underground Railroad.
6. Who sets fire to the mill?
(b) Mr. Holmes.
(c) Mr. Herne.
7. What does Lois offer to Joe?
8. Dr. Knowles knows that Margret is capable of _______________.
(d) Selfless love.
9. Which of the following did Lois NOT give to Mr. Holmes?
10. What does Margret say when Mr. Holmes asks her to be his wife?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) She needs to sleep on it.
(d) She'll think about it.
11. What topic of conversation does Margret veer away from?
(a) Her father's blindness.
(b) Her former engagement to Mr. Holmes.
(c) Miss Herne.
(d) The family's poverty.
12. Which of the following does NOT describe how Margret behaves toward Mr. Holmes?
13. What is Dr. Knowles' reaction to the fact that Margret will be marrying Mr. Holmes?
14. Which of the following does Margret NOT see in the abandoned tavern?
15. Dr. Knowles' vision for the commune is now ___________________.
(a) Just a memory.
(b) Just ashes.
(c) Just a dream.
(d) Stronger than ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characteristics does Miss Herne NOT expect of Mr. Holmes?
2. Dr. Knowles capitalizes on Margret's ____________________.
3. What does Joe beg Mr. Holmes not to do?
4. Where does Margret say she will wait for Mr. Holmes?
5. Who does Lois see in an approaching carriage?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)