|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What force seems to drive Mr. Holmes?
2. Who does Dr. Knowles meet as he leaves the hospital?
(a) Miss Herne.
3. What will Dr. Knowles call his new institution?
(a) Knowles' Souls Center.
(b) House of Refuge.
(c) The Knowles Research Center.
(d) The Knowles Institute.
4. Where had Mr. Holmes spent every Christmas of his childhood?
(a) At the Howth home.
(b) At his uncle's home.
(c) At the orphanage.
(d) At his grandfather's home.
5. Which of the following does Margret NOT see in the abandoned tavern?
6. What does Margret say when Mr. Holmes asks her to be his wife?
(b) She'll think about it.
(c) She needs to sleep on it.
(d) Absolutely not.
7. Mrs. Howth prepares ____________ and plum pudding for Christmas dinner.
8. What does Lois do after her father walks her home?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(b) Secretly follows him back to the mill.
(c) Sets out the breakfast dishes.
(d) Loads her wagon for deliveries.
9. What does Margret not realize about Mr. Holmes?
(a) He has much scarring on his body.
(b) He has come into a small fortune.
(c) He is no longer engaged to Miss Herne.
(d) He has lost a leg in the fire.
10. Who follows Margret as she walks home on Christmas Eve?
(b) Miss Herne.
(c) Dr. Knowles.
(d) Mr. Holmes.
11. Where does Mr. Holmes recover from his injuries?
(a) The hospital.
(b) At home.
(c) At Miss Herne's home.
(d) At Dr. Knowles' home.
12. Other than Lois, who does the carriage pass by on its way to town?
(b) Mrs. Howth.
(c) Dr. Knowles.
13. Which of the following does Lois NOT think about Miss Herne?
(a) She is heartless.
(b) She is a sham.
(c) She is kind.
(d) She is cruel.
14. What are Lois and Joe doing as Chapter 7 begins?
(a) Going to church.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Delivering produce.
(d) Keeping watch at the mill.
15. Which of the following characteristics does Miss Herne NOT expect of Mr. Holmes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Lois notice that Miss Herne is wearing?
2. Who does Mr. Holmes encounter as he approaches Lois' house to visit her on Christmas Eve?
3. How long has it been since Mr. Holmes and Margret broke their engagement?
4. Why does Mr. Holmes say he is going to marry Miss Herne?
5. What type of institution does Dr. Knowles plan to open?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)