|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits the Howth family every night?
(a) Dr. Knowles.
(b) Reverend Morgan.
(c) Sister Mary Acquin.
(d) Susan Benedict.
2. From where has Lois' father returned?
(a) The army.
(b) The navy.
(c) An overseas job.
3. Who is the vendor approaching Margret's house?
(a) Louise Yare.
(b) Louis Yare.
(c) Lois Yare.
(d) Lois Dare.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the conditions in the mill where Lois Yare worked as a child?
(a) Little food.
(d) Poor ventilation.
5. What does Mr. Holmes do after leaving the office at night?
(a) Meets some friends at a club.
(b) Goes home to cook dinner.
(c) Takes a walk into the country.
(d) Goes to a bar.
6. What does Dr. Knowles tell Mr. Holmes he has been doing today?
(a) Surveying property.
(b) Interviewing people.
(c) Hosting a business meeting.
(d) Buying new equipment.
7. Who is engaged to Mr. Holmes?
(a) Miss Hall.
(c) Miss Herne.
8. With whom does Lois share her room?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
9. Which of the following is NOT part of Margret's trip to return home?
(a) Past the rowhouses.
(b) The meatpacking district.
(c) Into the country.
(d) Through the suburbs.
10. Of whom does Tiger remind Margret?
(a) Mr. Holmes.
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Mr. MacKenzie.
(d) Dr. Knowles.
11. How long has Dr. Knowles known Margret?
(a) A couple of months.
(b) Five years.
(c) All her life.
(d) A few days.
12. What does Margret make particular note of regarding the ledger?
(a) The paper stock.
(b) The leather binding.
(c) The meticulous writing.
(d) The ink color.
13. What kind of dog does Margret have?
(a) Labrador Retriever.
(b) German Shepherd.
14. What was Mr. Howth's profession?
15. Who is the only one who feeds the caged chicken in Margret's office?
(a) Mr. Pike.
(c) Mr. Holmes.
(d) Dr. Knowles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Holmes wonders if it is the right thing to _____________________.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Lois' condition?
3. What keeps Joe from interacting with the people he sees on the street?
4. What does Margret see coming down the road?
5. What is the name of Margret's long lost dog?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)