|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Margret glad that her father cannot see?
(a) That she and her mother have sold many household items.
(b) Her mother's weary face.
(c) The shabbiness of the furniture.
(d) The empty cupboards.
2. Margret starts work at the mill on what day?
(a) The day after she graduates high school.
(b) The day after Christmas.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) Her 20th birthday.
3. In whom does Lois place all her trust?
(a) Reverend Hall.
(b) Mr. Knowles.
(c) Her father.
4. Why did Margret give up her former love, Mr. Holmes?
(a) She felt she was an impediment to his goals.
(b) She caught him in a lie.
(c) She fell out of love with him.
(d) She didn't want to be tied down.
5. Which of the following does NOT characterize Margret's world?
6. Which of the following does Mrs. Howth NOT ask Joel to prepare for Lois?
7. Why is the money from the mill such a powerful lure for Mr. Holmes?
(a) He is ambitious by nature.
(b) He is status conscious.
(c) He is very greedy.
(d) He was raised in poverty.
8. Which of the following is NOT an element of the Howth household?
9. How does Lois now make her living?
(d) Selling produce.
10. Who is the vendor approaching Margret's house?
(a) Lois Dare.
(b) Louise Yare.
(c) Lois Yare.
(d) Louis Yare.
11. Where does Lois live?
(a) In a shack by the railroad track.
(b) In a rowhouse.
(c) In a room in a house near the mill.
(d) In an old farmhouse.
12. Where does Mr. Holmes live?
(a) In a farmhouse.
(b) In a rowhouse.
(c) In a boarding house.
(d) In a room at the mill.
13. Mr. Holmes wonders if it is the right thing to _____________________.
(a) Marry Miss Herne.
(b) Marry Margret.
(c) Expand the mill.
(d) Buy a new house.
14. What does Margret hope people will know from her story?
(a) The excitement of war.
(b) The anguish of the time in which she lived.
(c) How wonderful her parents were.
(d) How smart she was.
15. What does Lois' produce symbolize?
(a) Agrarian techniques.
(b) New life and vitality.
(c) Agricultural methods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Margret have?
2. How does Margret get to her office?
3. What does Mr. Holmes do after leaving the office at night?
4. Where did Lois Yare work as a child?
5. Who is the black man who works for the Howth family?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)