|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of material is produced at the mill where Margret worked?
2. From what ages did Lois work at the mill?
3. Of whom does Tiger remind Margret?
(a) Dr. Knowles.
(b) Mr. Hall.
(c) Mr. MacKenzie.
(d) Mr. Holmes.
4. What does Mr. Holmes feel about his broken engagement to Margret?
(a) He is trying to get back with Margret.
(b) He never even thinks of it.
(c) He still has pain over it.
(d) He thinks about it once in awhile.
5. In whom does Lois place all her trust?
(b) Reverend Hall.
(c) Her father.
(d) Mr. Knowles.
6. Where does Dr. Knowles go when he leaves the Howth home?
(a) His own home.
(b) The church.
(c) The mill.
(d) A bar.
7. In what time period does the book take place?
8. Who follows Margret home?
(a) Dr. Knowles.
(b) Frankie Murray.
(c) Mr. Howth.
(d) Jerry Grayson.
9. Where does Joel fix a bed for Lois?
(a) The barn loft.
(b) The back porch.
(c) The spare room.
(d) Near the fire.
10. What does Margret see coming down the road?
(a) A riderless horse.
(b) A hay wagon.
(c) A vendor's wagon.
(d) A horse and buggy.
11. Margret thinks that the doctor has always looked at her ___________________.
(a) With bemusement.
(b) With love.
(c) With a savage scorn.
(d) With tenderness.
12. How does Margret get to her office?
(a) A steep ladder.
(b) An elevator.
(c) A winding staircase.
(d) An escalator.
13. What book does Margret read?
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) Great Expectations.
14. What time of day is it when Chapter 2 begins?
(c) Late afternoon.
15. Who is engaged to Mr. Holmes?
(b) Miss Hall.
(d) Miss Herne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who set up Lois in her business?
2. Who stares at Margret as she reads?
3. What does Lois do after her father goes to bed?
4. How can Margret's work be best described?
5. Who is buying the mill from Dr. Knowles?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)