|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margret hope people will know from her story?
(a) The anguish of the time in which she lived.
(b) How smart she was.
(c) How wonderful her parents were.
(d) The excitement of war.
2. What does Margret find that prompts her to write this story?
(a) Some love letters.
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) An old ledger.
(d) A diary.
3. Where does Mr. Holmes live?
(a) In a farmhouse.
(b) In a boarding house.
(c) In a room at the mill.
(d) In a rowhouse.
4. What does Dr. Knowles tell Mr. Holmes he has been doing today?
(a) Hosting a business meeting.
(b) Surveying property.
(c) Interviewing people.
(d) Buying new equipment.
5. What does Margret see coming down the road?
(a) A hay wagon.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A riderless horse.
(d) A vendor's wagon.
6. In what time period does the book take place?
7. Why did Margret give up her former love, Mr. Holmes?
(a) She fell out of love with him.
(b) She didn't want to be tied down.
(c) She caught him in a lie.
(d) She felt she was an impediment to his goals.
8. Why has Dr. Knowles purchased new property?
(a) To build a new mill.
(b) To build a new home.
(c) To establish a new commune.
(d) To build a new library.
9. Why have Margret and her mother sold household items?
(a) To buy chickens.
(b) To have a little money to run the household.
(c) To send Margret to school.
(d) To invest in the mill.
10. What sound makes Margret's heart pause?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A shriek.
(c) Mr. Holmes' footsteps.
(d) The clacking chicken.
11. What book does Margret read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Great Expectations.
(c) Oliver Twist.
(d) The Odyssey.
12. How does Lois now make her living?
(c) Selling produce.
13. Why does Mr. Holmes leave the mill by an indirect route?
(a) To check the plumbing.
(b) So he won't run into Margret.
(c) To lock the doors.
(d) To check the lights.
14. What does Margret feel will return?
(c) Comfort and beauty.
15. What does Mr. Holmes feel about his broken engagement to Margret?
(a) He thinks about it once in awhile.
(b) He still has pain over it.
(c) He never even thinks of it.
(d) He is trying to get back with Margret.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT characterize Margret's world?
2. Where does Mr. Howth wait for Margret's return home?
3. Who is buying the mill from Dr. Knowles?
4. With whom does Lois share her room?
5. Who is in the carriage that passes by Mr. Holmes outside the mill?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)