|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not something Marat blindly seeks in his fever at the beginning of Scene 21?
2. In Scene 18, for what group does Marat say the Revolution was fought?
3. Why do the people love Marat, according to Sade in the beginning of Scene 20?
4. Who separates Duperrat and Corday when the former begins to molest the latter?
5. What does Sade want remembered about himself after his death?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of absolute power. Marat is offered it over the course of the play, but he refuses it. Duperret and Corday fear he will become dictator. The play itself takes place in the shadow of Napoleon. Does Weiss believe that all power corrupts? Is he implying that Marat might have been an exception?
Essay Topic 2
In the great debate between Sade and Mart, Sade's viewpoint is more complex and ambiguous. As an aristocrat turned Revolutionary turned voice for political apathy, his worldview is strange and inwardly focused. Write an essay on etymology of this viewpoint. Why did Sade join the Revolution, and why was he repelled by it? What does he view as most important in life? What is his attitude toward violence and its place in society?
Essay Topic 3
In The Marat/Sade, several characters dominate the proceeding without ever speaking a line. These figures represent a authority int he play. How does their appearance reflect something more gentle than their function? What is their function within the role of the bathhouse? How is their true nature revealed in the final moments of the play?
Part 1) The male nurses
Part 2) The sisters
Part 3) Coulmier's family
This section contains 1,810 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)