|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene 27, what does Duperret demand replace hysteria and fanaticism?
2. Which book of the Old Testament does Corday read in Caen?
3. In Scene 27, which character accuses Marat of handing the country over to the lowest common denominator?
4. In Scene 30, of what does Sade say the world consists?
5. Which French Minister does Marat accuse of counterfeiting banknotes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play-within-the-play, Sade has created a sort of spectrum from far-left (Roux) to the far-right (Corday). Where do all the major players in this play fall on this spectrum? What does each extreme of this spectrum want regarding France? What is its ideal society? Does Sade present both as equally dangerous in the play?
Essay Topic 2
In The Marat/Sade, several characters dominate the proceeding without ever speaking a line. These figures represent a authority int he play. How does their appearance reflect something more gentle than their function? What is their function within the role of the bathhouse? How is their true nature revealed in the final moments of the play?
Part 1) The male nurses
Part 2) The sisters
Part 3) Coulmier's family
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the topic of absolute power. Marat is offered it over the course of the play, but he refuses it. Duperret and Corday fear he will become dictator. The play itself takes place in the shadow of Napoleon. Does Weiss believe that all power corrupts? Is he implying that Marat might have been an exception?
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)