|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What apologia does Coulmier make in his Scene 2 speech?
(a) The hour is late.
(b) The actors have never performed before.
(c) The play is poorly written.
(d) The space smells of antiseptic.
2. At the end of Scene 11, where does Corday imagine she is?
(a) In Caen.
(b) At Marat's lodging.
(c) In heaven.
(d) On the execution scaffold.
3. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
(b) A priest.
(c) Various nobles.
(d) His family.
4. Which what is Marat's tub filling in Scene 8?
5. Coulmier protests in Scene 11 that he brought in the public to show that his patients are not what?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what adjective does Coulmier describe the keepers of the asylum in Scene 2?
2. Which woman in the cast serves as Marat's nurse?
3. Which of Dupperet's articles of clothing is mentioned by the Herald in Scene 4?
4. What disease's effects are the wigs described in Scene 10 intended to conceal?
5. What historical figure did Damiens try to assassinate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coulmier characterize the asylum in Scene 2?
2. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
3. What is the state of the Revolution in 1793, according to the Singers in Scene 5?
4. What is Corday's primary fear regarding the revolution?
5. How does the Herald describe Marat in Scene 4?
6. What is the nature of Marat's life in 1793?
7. Why does Coulmier stop the play in Scene 6?
8. Describe Corday and Duperret's interchange in Scene 29.
9. How does the Herald characterize Sade?
10. What historical events have occurred in France in the four years prior to the events of the play-within-the-play?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)