|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who anxiously follows behind Marat while the patients carry him on their shoulders in Scene 5?
2. What was Jacques Roux's former profession?
3. According to Marat in Scene 11, where did the aristocrats allow the poor to die slowly?
(a) The streets.
(b) Their homes.
(c) The churches.
(d) The workshops.
4. What historical figure did Damiens try to assassinate?
(a) Louis XV.
(c) Cardinal Richaelieu.
5. What abstract purveyor of death does Sade say he hates in Scene 12?
(d) The Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups is not one lambasted by the singers of Scene 5?
2. To what building does Corday compare Paris in Scene 10?
3. Which of Dupperet's articles of clothing is mentioned by the Herald in Scene 4?
4. Which of the following characters does not have a line in the Homage to Marat?
5. Which philosopher does Corday cite in her song in Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sade's ultimate attitude toward Marat?
2. What is the role of the audience in the play?
3. How does Coulmier characterize the asylum in Scene 2?
4. What satirical argument does Sade make about the aristocracy at the end of this section?
5. What is the nature of Marat's life in 1793?
6. How does the Herald characterize Sade?
7. What does Sade say in Scene 24 to appease Coulmier?
8. How does Sade explain his current role in the Revolution?
9. What proclamation about nationalism does Sade make in Scene 18?
10. Why is Marat particularly outraged by aristocratic revulsion at the executions?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)