|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the chorus sings about the Revolution, what body part do they say is bleeding?
2. What device's "singing" is Corday said to have hears in Scene 10?
(a) The pipe organ.
(b) The tumbrel.
(c) The guillotine.
(d) The printing press.
3. What object is Marat staring at as he writes at the beginning of Scene 7?
(a) His bath.
(b) A portrait of Rousseau.
(c) A knife.
(d) A map.
4. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
5. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shouts "Long live the Revolution" midway through the Homage to Marat?
2. What is Coulmier's official position?
3. What right's inclusion in the Revolution's declaration does Marat lament at the end of Scene 15?
4. According to Marat, what does one see everywhere one looks in 1793?
5. According to the Herald at the beginning of Scene 7, to what voice is Marat listening as he writes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the audience in the play?
2. What is the state of the Revolution in 1793, according to the Singers in Scene 5?
3. What is Sade's ultimate attitude toward Marat?
4. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
5. Describe the setting of the play.
6. How does Duperret's affliction affect his performance in Scene 17?
7. Describe the events related in Scene 31.
8. Why is Marat particularly outraged by aristocratic revulsion at the executions?
9. Explain the message of the song Poor Old Marat in Scene 21.
10. How does the Herald set the scene at the end of Scene 4?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)