|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
2. Who does the Herald signal in Scene 3?
(c) The Orchestra.
(d) The Male Nurses.
3. In Marat's rant in Scene 9, where does he say the Parisian hypocrites where the crown?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Their underwear.
(c) Their hose.
(d) Their caps.
4. What does Coulmier protest he must be when he interrupts the play?
(a) The representative of the state.
(b) The calming hand.
(c) The de facto director.
(d) The voice of reason.
5. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
(a) Our Father.
(b) Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.
(c) The Apostles Creed.
(d) Hail Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does not have a line in the Homage to Marat?
2. What historical figure did Damiens try to assassinate?
3. Which what is Marat's tub filling in Scene 8?
4. In her Scene 7 song, Corday says that which two words meant different things to her and Marat?
5. In Scene 11, Marat accuses aristocrats of make secret deals with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interrupts the murder of Marat in Scene 31?
2. Explain the message of the song Poor Old Marat in Scene 21.
3. To what extent are Coulmier's fears throughout the play well-founded?
4. What do the apparitions of Scene 26 reveal about Marat?
5. What proclamation about nationalism does Sade make in Scene 18?
6. How does the Herald set the scene at the end of Scene 4?
7. How does Coulmier characterize the asylum in Scene 2?
8. What satirical argument does Sade make about the aristocracy at the end of this section?
9. How does Duperret's affliction affect his performance in Scene 17?
10. Describe Corday and Duperret's interchange in Scene 29.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)