|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What device's "singing" is Corday said to have hears in Scene 10?
(a) The printing press.
(b) The tumbrel.
(c) The guillotine.
(d) The pipe organ.
2. In Scene 12, Marat accuses Sade of lacking what?
(b) A theory.
3. To what does the Herald compare Marat's skin in Scene 4?
4. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
(a) The Apostles Creed.
(b) Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.
(c) Hail Mary.
(d) Our Father.
5. In Scene 6, Jacques Roux protests that the ruling class controls all of the following except which?
(a) The granaries.
(b) The markets.
(c) The estates.
(d) The military camps.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what adjective does Coulmier describe the keepers of the asylum in Scene 2?
2. What is the basis for all life, according to Sade's works?
3. According to Sade at the beginning of Scene 15, what we do is the shadow of what?
4. What is the color of the dagger's handle in Scene 10?
5. Who stops Corday from prematurely murdering Marat in Scene 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roux respond to Marat in Scene 26?
2. How doe Marat and Sade differ in their attitudes toward violent action?
3. Why does Marat regret the inclusion of private property in the Declaration of Human Rights?
4. Who is present on behalf of the asylum to oversee the Patients?
5. What is the topic of Corday's song in Scene 7?
6. Describe the setting of the play.
7. Besides Coulmier, who interrupts the action of the play in this section?
8. What final points does Coulmier make in the Epilogue?
9. What does Sade say in Scene 24 to appease Coulmier?
10. In what way does Coulmier claim the bathouse is a particularly appropriate setting for Sade's play?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)