|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Marat in Scene 11, where did the aristocrats allow the poor to die slowly?
(a) The churches.
(b) The streets.
(c) Their homes.
(d) The workshops.
2. Which what is Marat's tub filling in Scene 8?
3. What abstract purveyor of death does Sade say he hates in Scene 12?
(a) The Revolution.
4. What actions are the Male Nurses performing at the top of the play?
(a) Chaining patients.
(b) Bathing and massages.
(c) Playing cards and drinking wine.
(d) Applying bandages and giving medication.
5. Who anxiously follows behind Marat while the patients carry him on their shoulders in Scene 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Holocaust term does Sade use in describing mankind's inclination to kill in Scene 12?
2. Who accompanies Marat at his static position at the beginning of the play?
3. What are the children fighting over in the streets, according to Corday?
4. In Scene 7, what does Corday contend is spurting from Marat's hiding place?
5. What does Coulmier protest he must be when he interrupts the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jacques Roux.
2. What paradox regarding Marat's calls to the Nation does Sade point out in Scene 28?
3. What recommendation does Coulmier make to Sade and the assembled actors at the end of Scene 6?
4. Describe the world that Corday and Duperret describe in Scene 22.
5. Describe the setting of the play.
6. How has the role of Jacques Roux been changed by Coulmier?
7. What role does Marat imply he wants to play in France in Scene 27?
8. To what extent are Coulmier's fears throughout the play well-founded?
9. What viewpoint of the world does Sade espouse to Marat in Scene Scene 30?
10. How does the cast indicate the beginning of performance in Scene 3?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)