|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
2. Who shouts "Long live the Revolution" midway through the Homage to Marat?
3. What Holocaust term does Sade use in describing mankind's inclination to kill in Scene 12?
(b) Concentration camp.
(c) Final solution.
(d) Master race.
4. In Marat's Liturgy, which of the following is not a group that he accuses of lying to the poor?
5. Who sings to the riled patients at the end of Scene 6?
(b) Coulmier's family.
(d) The sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What actions are the Male Nurses performing at the top of the play?
2. How does Sade characterize the process by which Revolutionaries dole out death sentences?
3. In Scene 13, what does Marat say is the essential lie the ruling class gave the poor?
4. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
5. What word do the patients chant in unison in Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marat regret the inclusion of private property in the Declaration of Human Rights?
2. What is the execution of Damiens and what does it signify to Sade?
3. Why does Coulmier stop the play in Scene 6?
4. What false story does Corday deliver in her first visit to Marat's lodging?
5. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
6. Describe Corday and Duperret's interchange in Scene 29.
7. Describe the world that Corday and Duperret describe in Scene 22.
8. How does the Herald set the scene at the end of Scene 4?
9. What recommendation does Coulmier make to Sade and the assembled actors at the end of Scene 6?
10. What is Sade's ultimate attitude toward Marat?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)