|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Corday's body does the Salesman admire in the dagger-purchasing mime?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her buttocks.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her bosom.
2. To what building does Corday compare Paris in Scene 10?
(a) A public bath.
(b) A cathedral.
(c) An outhouse.
(d) A slaughterhouse.
3. At the end of Scene 11, where does Corday imagine she is?
(a) At Marat's lodging.
(b) In heaven.
(c) In Caen.
(d) On the execution scaffold.
4. Who accompanies Marat at his static position at the beginning of the play?
5. What object is Marat staring at as he writes at the beginning of Scene 7?
(a) A knife.
(b) A portrait of Rousseau.
(c) His bath.
(d) A map.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
2. Who sings to the riled patients at the end of Scene 6?
3. What disease's effects are the wigs described in Scene 10 intended to conceal?
4. How old is Marat when the events of the play begin?
5. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sade's expectations of the Revolution, and are they realized?
2. Describe the events related in Scene 31.
3. What is the nature of Marat's life in 1793?
4. Why does Marat regret the inclusion of private property in the Declaration of Human Rights?
5. What is the topic of Corday's song in Scene 7?
6. What paradox regarding Marat's calls to the Nation does Sade point out in Scene 28?
7. What do the apparitions of Scene 26 reveal about Marat?
8. How does Duperret's affliction affect his performance in Scene 17?
9. Explain the message of the song Poor Old Marat in Scene 21.
10. What is the state of the Revolution in 1793, according to the Singers in Scene 5?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)