|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "lurid star" under which the Herald says Sade came to the asylum?
2. In Scene 13, what role did the kings hold to the people?
3. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
4. In her Scene 7 song, Corday says that which two words meant different things to her and Marat?
(a) Freedom and mercy.
(b) Action and fear.
(c) Love and change.
(d) Wealth and poverty.
5. According to Sade at the end of Scene 11, from what does the guillotine deliver its victims?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Dupperet's articles of clothing is mentioned by the Herald in Scene 4?
2. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
3. What mental affliction does the actor playing Marat have?
4. What device's "singing" is Corday said to have hears in Scene 10?
5. Who does the Herald signal in Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What false story does Corday deliver in her first visit to Marat's lodging?
2. How does the cast indicate the beginning of performance in Scene 3?
3. What do the apparitions of Scene 26 reveal about Marat?
4. Describe the world that Corday and Duperret describe in Scene 22.
5. What historical events have occurred in France in the four years prior to the events of the play-within-the-play?
6. What recommendation does Coulmier make to Sade and the assembled actors at the end of Scene 6?
7. What satirical argument does Sade make about the aristocracy at the end of this section?
8. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
9. Describe the setting of the play.
10. How does Corday's sickness affect her performance?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)