|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
2. For what affliction is Marat always submerged in a bath?
(a) A fever.
(c) Muscle tension.
3. What was Jacques Roux's former profession?
4. Who accompanies Marat at his static position at the beginning of the play?
5. Who does the Herald signal in Scene 3?
(a) The Male Nurses.
(d) The Orchestra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Holocaust term does Sade use in describing mankind's inclination to kill in Scene 12?
2. Which character's name does the Heral mention appearing on Marat's black list in Scene 4?
3. Who sings to the riled patients at the end of Scene 6?
4. What aspect of Charlotte Corday does the Herald apologize to the audience for mentioning?
5. What part of Marat's body does Corday she wants to see sweat as she draws her knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Marat imply he wants to play in France in Scene 27?
2. What is the topic of Corday's song in Scene 7?
3. What do the apparitions of Scene 26 reveal about Marat?
4. What are Sade's expectations of the Revolution, and are they realized?
5. What horrors does Corday witness in Scene 10?
6. Describe the events related in Scene 31.
7. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
8. Explain the message of the song Poor Old Marat in Scene 21.
9. How does Coulmier characterize the asylum in Scene 2?
10. How do the actors' mental afflictions affect their performances?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)