|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What actions are the Male Nurses performing at the top of the play?
(a) Bathing and massages.
(b) Applying bandages and giving medication.
(c) Chaining patients.
(d) Playing cards and drinking wine.
2. At the end of Scene 5, the Herald announces that unrest has been replace by what?
3. As Marat and Sade argue in Scene 15, what does Sade conclude no longer interests him?
(a) The Revolution.
(d) The individual.
4. With what adjective does Coulmier describe the keepers of the asylum in Scene 2?
5. Which what is Marat's tub filling in Scene 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mental affliction does the actor playing Marat have?
2. What Holocaust term does Sade use in describing mankind's inclination to kill in Scene 12?
3. What does Coulmier protest he must be when he interrupts the play?
4. According to Sade at the end of Scene 11, from what does the guillotine deliver its victims?
5. What apologia does Coulmier make in his Scene 2 speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paradox regarding Marat's calls to the Nation does Sade point out in Scene 28?
2. Why does Sade feel the need to write horrific stories of aristocrats while in the Bastille?
3. How does the cast indicate the beginning of performance in Scene 3?
4. How does Duperret's affliction affect his performance in Scene 17?
5. What is Sade's ultimate attitude toward Marat?
6. What horrors does Corday witness in Scene 10?
7. Describe Corday and Duperret's interchange in Scene 29.
8. Describe the events related in Scene 31.
9. In Scene 8, how does Marat explain that the expectations of the Revolution proved faulty?
10. What point about social status does the Herald make when he introduces the Singers?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)