|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a term hurled at the poor when a shop is looted?
(b) Gutter rats.
2. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
3. For what affliction is Marat always submerged in a bath?
(a) A fever.
(d) Muscle tension.
4. Coulmier protests in Scene 11 that he brought in the public to show that his patients are not what?
5. What does Coulmier protest he must be when he interrupts the play?
(a) The representative of the state.
(b) The de facto director.
(c) The voice of reason.
(d) The calming hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what room of the asylum does the play take place?
2. To what does the Herald compare Marat's skin in Scene 4?
3. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
4. According to Sade at the beginning of Scene 15, what we do is the shadow of what?
5. Who anxiously follows behind Marat while the patients carry him on their shoulders in Scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of the Revolution in 1793, according to the Singers in Scene 5?
2. What is the topic of Corday's song in Scene 7?
3. Why is Coulmier outraged by Marat's Liturgy?
4. What is the role of the audience in the play?
5. What viewpoint of the world does Sade espouse to Marat in Scene Scene 30?
6. What recommendation does Coulmier make to Sade and the assembled actors at the end of Scene 6?
7. How doe Marat and Sade differ in their attitudes toward violent action?
8. What point about social status does the Herald make when he introduces the Singers?
9. How does Duperret's affliction affect his performance in Scene 17?
10. What recommendation does Duperret make to Corday in Scene 17?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)