|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups is not one lambasted by the singers of Scene 5?
2. In Scene 13, what does Marat say is the essential lie the ruling class gave the poor?
(a) Love of enemies.
(b) Honor in suffering.
(c) Divine right.
(d) Poverty as a virtue.
3. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
(a) A ritual.
(b) A festival.
(c) An exorcism.
(d) A horrorshow.
4. What character enters in the first scene at Sade beckon?
5. According to the Herald at the end of Scene 4, what is the audience about to watch Marat do?
(a) Give up.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Scene 5, the Herald announces that unrest has been replace by what?
2. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
3. In Marat's rant in Scene 9, where does he say the Parisian hypocrites where the crown?
4. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
5. Where on her body does Corday carry her knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Marat's grievances in his imaginary session with the imaginary National Assembly of Scene 27?
2. How does the unrest begin in the Epilogue?
3. What proclamation about nationalism does Sade make in Scene 18?
4. In what way does Coulmier claim the bathouse is a particularly appropriate setting for Sade's play?
5. Why does Sade feel the need to write horrific stories of aristocrats while in the Bastille?
6. Who is present on behalf of the asylum to oversee the Patients?
7. Why does Marat regret the inclusion of private property in the Declaration of Human Rights?
8. What is the state of Marat's health in Scene 7?
9. How do the actors' mental afflictions affect their performances?
10. Describe the argument Sade and Marat have regarding compassion.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)