|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Coulmier protest he must be when he interrupts the play?
(a) The voice of reason.
(b) The representative of the state.
(c) The de facto director.
(d) The calming hand.
2. The song in Scene 10 details Corday's arrival in what town?
3. Which what is Marat's tub filling in Scene 8?
4. According to Marat, what does one see everywhere one looks in 1793?
(c) His portrait.
5. In Scene 11, Marat accuses aristocrats of make secret deals with whom?
(a) Foreign armies.
(b) The reactionary bourgeoisie.
(c) The deposed royal family.
(d) The Catholic Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word do the patients chant in unison in Scene 6?
2. What are the children fighting over in the streets, according to Corday?
3. In what French town is the play's asylum located?
4. In Scene 5, Kokol quips to Marat that Paris facing a shortage of what?
5. What action is Simone performing at the beginning of Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Marat's life in 1793?
2. Describe the setting of the play.
3. Explain the message of the song Poor Old Marat in Scene 21.
4. Describe the events related in Scene 31.
5. What is the role of the audience in the play?
6. Describe Corday and Duperret's interchange in Scene 29.
7. What are Sade's expectations of the Revolution, and are they realized?
8. What proclamation about nationalism does Sade make in Scene 18?
9. How does the Herald calm Coulmier in Scene 11?
10. How does Sade explain his current role in the Revolution?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)