|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which book of the Old Testament does Corday read in Caen?
2. According to the Herald in Scene 31, what does Sade intend to show Marat before the murder?
(a) The full conspiracy against him.
(b) The future.
(c) The afterlife.
3. What is the forbidden word that that Duperret says France is speaking at the end of Scene 17?
4. Who separates Duperrat and Corday when the former begins to molest the latter?
(a) A male nurse.
(c) A sister.
5. In Scene 27, to whom does Marat accuse the generals of being loyal?
(a) The Prussians.
(b) The emigres.
(c) The deposed prince.
(d) No one.
6. What was the subject of the suppressed work that Marat describes in Scene 28?
(a) Social action.
(c) The soul.
7. Which of the following words is not chanted by the inmates at the end of the play?
8. Why do the people love Marat, according to Sade in the beginning of Scene 20?
(a) He will fight for them.
(b) He will speak for them.
(c) He will die for them.
(d) He will suffer for them.
9. According to Marat, why is the rumor being spread that wages will soon be raised?
(a) To gauge public opinion on this.
(b) To increase production.
(c) To quell violent discontent.
(d) To find organizers amongst the workers.
10. What does Sade say is essential to any real revolution in Scene 30?
(c) A goal.
11. What does Sade want remembered about himself after his death?
(b) His mad actions.
(c) His work with the Revolution.
(d) His writings.
12. Which famous Revolutionary figure does Marat accuse of turning white at the mention of force?
13. What part of Corday's body does Duperret kiss repeatedly in Scene 22?
(a) Her breast.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her leg.
14. What affliction of Marat does the Schoolmaster mock in Scene 26?
(a) A lisp.
(b) A skin disease.
(c) A stutter.
(d) A chronic fever.
15. At the end of Scene 28, the Singers complain that Marat's writings have done what to France?
(a) Confused its people.
(b) Set it ablaze.
(c) Covered it in blood.
(d) Weakened it irreparably.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which French Minister does Marat accuse of counterfeiting banknotes?
2. In Scene 18, for what group does Marat say the Revolution was fought?
3. What does Coulmier invite the audience to do at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. In Scene 30, Sade tells Marat that his writings mean nothing compared to what?
5. Who has the final line of the play?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)