|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what animal does Marat compare the members of the new ruling class in France?
2. When Coulmier interrupts Roux in Scene 19, what does he claim everyone in modern-day France is?
(a) A nationalist.
(b) A peacemaker.
(c) A revolutionary.
(d) A millionaire.
3. What are the fates of both Duperret and Corday after Marat's murder?
(a) The are exiled from France.
(b) They go into hiding.
(c) They are given positions in Danton's government.
(d) They are executed.
4. Which of the following words is not chanted by the inmates at the end of the play?
5. As a judge in Revolutionary tribunals, what does Sade find himself unable to do?
(a) Sentence men to death.
(b) Look victims in the eyes.
(c) Show mercy.
(d) Stay awake.
6. What doe the Singers complain still goes on in secret at the end of Scene 24?
7. In appeasing Coulmier in Scene 18, which is not a group to which the Singers pledge fidelity?
8. Into what does Roux demand the churches of France be converted?
(d) Soup kitchens.
9. Which of the following vocations is not mentioned among Sage's eight fictional artisans in Scene 24?
(a) A wine-maker.
(b) A cook.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A masseuse.
10. According to the Herald in Scene 19, what is the most sympathetic way to be executed?
(a) The guillotine.
(c) Burning at the stake.
11. How do the Singers say they will impart the words they cannot speak freely?
(a) Carve them into our skin.
(b) Keep them to themselves.
(c) Shout them from the rafters.
(d) Breathe them in our ear.
12. In Scene 30, how does Corday respond to Duperret's entreaty to leave Paris?
(a) She kicks him.
(b) She agrees.
(c) She calls the police to her assistance.
(d) She kisses him goodbye.
13. Who speaks the final words of the first act?
14. Which famous Revolutionary figure does Marat accuse of turning white at the mention of force?
15. Who whips Sade in Scene 20?
(b) A male nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sade doing in the final moments of the play?
2. Which of the following is something that Sade claims the hypothetical Revolutionaries expect from the Revolution?
3. Which character does not sing at all during the play?
4. What is the forbidden word that that Duperret says France is speaking at the end of Scene 17?
5. Which of the following inmates is strait-jacketed throughout the entire play?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)