|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Corday spend her youth?
(b) A military barracks.
(d) A convent.
2. In Scene 27, which character accuses Marat of handing the country over to the lowest common denominator?
3. How do the Singers say they will impart the words they cannot speak freely?
(a) Carve them into our skin.
(b) Keep them to themselves.
(c) Breathe them in our ear.
(d) Shout them from the rafters.
4. Who has the final line of the play?
5. What institution's sacking does Sade recall witnessing in this section?
(a) A convent.
(b) An art museum.
(c) A library.
(d) A manor.
6. According to the Herald in Scene 31, what does Sade intend to show Marat before the murder?
(a) The afterlife.
(c) The future.
(d) The full conspiracy against him.
7. In Scene 28, Sade says that he wrote his lost masterpiece on what?
(a) A long roll or paper.
(b) The skin of a prostitute.
(d) The walls of a prison cell.
8. In Scene 30, of what does Sade say the world consists?
(d) Monetary interests.
9. To what animal does Marat compare the members of the new ruling class in France?
10. In the Singers' Scene 21 song, what has just been destroyed?
(a) Marat's printing press.
(b) Corday's carriage.
(c) Marat's front door.
(d) The central guillotine scaffold.
11. Which character does not sing at all during the play?
12. What part of Corday's body does Duperret kiss repeatedly in Scene 22?
(a) Her hand.
(b) Her breast.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her leg.
13. Who do the Singers say speaks for all of France?
(a) No one.
14. In Scene 30, Sade tells Marat that his writings mean nothing compared to what?
(a) Corday's body.
(b) The death they inspired.
(c) Sade's writings.
(d) The indifference of history.
15. In appeasing Coulmier in Scene 18, which is not a group to which the Singers pledge fidelity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Corday's hair?
2. Which of the following is something that Sade claims the hypothetical Revolutionaries expect from the Revolution?
3. What does Sade want remembered about himself after his death?
4. Which of the following inmates is strait-jacketed throughout the entire play?
5. Near the end of Scene 27, what word does Marat say should be abolished?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)