|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous Revolutionary figure does Marat accuse of turning white at the mention of force?
2. What does Coulmier invite the audience to do at the beginning of the Epilogue?
(a) Close the history book.
(b) Attend some post-performance drinks.
(c) Embrace the newly-won peace of the present.
(d) Meet the actors.
3. Who has the final line of the play?
4. How does Sade characterize his current station in the Revolution?
5. Who is the first voice from Marat's past to speak in Scene 26?
(a) His schoolmaster.
(b) A military representative.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
6. What color is Corday's hair?
7. As a judge in Revolutionary tribunals, what does Sade find himself unable to do?
(a) Stay awake.
(b) Show mercy.
(c) Sentence men to death.
(d) Look victims in the eyes.
8. Which of the following is not something that Duperret accuses Mara of being in Scene 17?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A dictator.
(c) A layabout.
(d) A salesman.
9. What does Sade say is essential to any real revolution in Scene 30?
(d) A goal.
10. In Scene 27, which character accuses Marat of handing the country over to the lowest common denominator?
11. Who do the Singers say speaks for all of France?
(d) No one.
12. What does Sade want remembered about himself after his death?
(a) His writings.
(b) His mad actions.
(c) His work with the Revolution.
13. Which of the following groups is not one that Coulmier interrupts the play to defend?
(a) The post-Revolutionary politicians.
(b) The high academics.
(c) The soldiers.
(d) The priests.
14. In appeasing Coulmier in Scene 18, which is not a group to which the Singers pledge fidelity?
15. What was the subject of the suppressed work that Marat describes in Scene 28?
(c) Social action.
(d) The soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Singers at the end of Scene 25, what can Marat not cure?
2. To what animal does Marat compare the members of the new ruling class in France?
3. According to Marat in Scene 27, what has the Minister of War sold to France's enemies?
4. Which character does not sing at all during the play?
5. According to the Herald in Scene 19, what is the most sympathetic way to be executed?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)