|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memorial of Marat does Sade prophesy the people will smash?
(a) His home.
(b) His grave.
(c) His urn.
(d) His statue.
2. Who do the Singers say speaks for all of France?
(a) No one.
3. What part of Corday's body does Duperret kiss repeatedly in Scene 22?
(a) Her breast.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her hand.
4. Which of the following is something that Sade claims the hypothetical Revolutionaries expect from the Revolution?
(a) A bigger house.
(b) Bags of gold.
(c) A milder summer.
(d) New shoes.
5. In Scene 23, what does Marat warn the rich will do the the poor at a moment's notice?
(a) Turn them out on the streets.
(b) Send them to war.
(c) Have them killed.
(d) Burn down their homes.
6. Which of the following is not something the Singers accuse the rich of hoarding at the beginning of Scene 16?
7. Which of the following groups is not one that Coulmier interrupts the play to defend?
(a) The post-Revolutionary politicians.
(b) The priests.
(c) The high academics.
(d) The soldiers.
8. Why do the people love Marat, according to Sade in the beginning of Scene 20?
(a) He will die for them.
(b) He will speak for them.
(c) He will suffer for them.
(d) He will fight for them.
9. According to the Herald in Scene 31, what does Sade intend to show Marat before the murder?
(b) The full conspiracy against him.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) The future.
10. What does Marat demand be done with the seized farmland?
(a) It should be used for military exercises.
(b) It should be divided into allotments.
(c) It should be converted into a public park.
(d) Schools should be built on it.
11. What does Simone think she sees in the sky in Scene 21?
(a) An eclipse.
(b) The hand of God.
(c) The moon.
12. What is the name of the man to whom Marat dictates his calls to the people?
13. According to Marat, why is the rumor being spread that wages will soon be raised?
(a) To find organizers amongst the workers.
(b) To increase production.
(c) To quell violent discontent.
(d) To gauge public opinion on this.
14. Which character does not sing at all during the play?
15. In Scene 28, Sade says that he wrote his lost masterpiece on what?
(a) The walls of a prison cell.
(c) A long roll or paper.
(d) The skin of a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Singers say they will impart the words they cannot speak freely?
2. In the Singers' Scene 21 song, what has just been destroyed?
3. In Scene 18, for what group does Marat say the Revolution was fought?
4. What does Sade say is essential to any real revolution in Scene 30?
5. What does Coulmier invite the audience to do at the beginning of the Epilogue?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)