|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years after the Revolution do the events of the play-within-the-play take place?
2. At the beginning of Scene 8, what does Simone implore Marat to stop doing?
(a) Scratching himself.
(d) Staying awake all night.
3. In Marat's Liturgy, which of the following is not a group that he accuses of lying to the poor?
4. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
(a) A horrorshow.
(b) An exorcism.
(c) A festival.
(d) A ritual.
5. What was Jacques Roux's former profession?
6. The song in Scene 10 details Corday's arrival in what town?
7. Marat never moves from a certain location. What is that location?
(a) A chair.
(b) A bath.
(c) A cage.
(d) A bench.
8. In Scene 13, what role did the kings hold to the people?
9. Who anxiously follows behind Marat while the patients carry him on their shoulders in Scene 5?
10. What mimic do the patients perform in the background of Scene 11?
(a) A mass.
(b) A street scene.
(c) A cricket match.
(d) An execution.
11. What are the children fighting over in the streets, according to Corday?
(a) Old wigs.
(b) Toy guillotines.
(c) Human heads.
12. Which world does Roux utter in Scene 4 before being shushed by Coulmier?
13. Which character's name does the Heral mention appearing on Marat's black list in Scene 4?
14. In Scene 11, Marat accuses aristocrats of make secret deals with whom?
(a) The deposed royal family.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The reactionary bourgeoisie.
(d) Foreign armies.
15. What part of Corday's body does the Salesman admire in the dagger-purchasing mime?
(a) Her buttocks.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her bosom.
(d) Her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Marat and Sade argue in Scene 15, what does Sade conclude no longer interests him?
2. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
3. What actions are the Male Nurses performing at the top of the play?
4. Coulmier protests in Scene 11 that he brought in the public to show that his patients are not what?
5. What is Coulmier's official position?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)