|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 7, what does Corday contend is spurting from Marat's hiding place?
2. According to the Herald at the beginning of Scene 7, to what voice is Marat listening as he writes?
(a) His fever's voice.
(b) The people's voice.
(c) Simone's voice.
(d) God's voice.
3. What mimic do the patients perform in the background of Scene 11?
(a) An execution.
(b) A street scene.
(c) A mass.
(d) A cricket match.
4. In the beginning of Scene 6, a patient claims that all are free and equal to do what?
5. What is the color of the dagger's handle in Scene 10?
6. As Marat and Sade argue in Scene 15, what does Sade conclude no longer interests him?
(a) The Revolution.
(d) The individual.
7. What abstract purveyor of death does Sade say he hates in Scene 12?
(d) The Revolution.
8. According to Corday's song in Scene 7, to what does Marat's way lead?
(a) Eternal slavery.
(b) Mountains of dead.
(c) Rivers of blood.
(d) Sewers and refuse.
9. According to Marat, what does one see everywhere one looks in 1793?
(d) His portrait.
10. What are the children fighting over in the streets, according to Corday?
(a) Human heads.
(b) Old wigs.
(d) Toy guillotines.
11. From what affliction does the actress playing Corday suffer?
(b) Fits of rage.
(d) Sleeping sickness.
12. Which of the following characters does not have a line in the Homage to Marat?
13. According to Sade at the end of Scene 11, from what does the guillotine deliver its victims?
14. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
(a) An exorcism.
(b) A festival.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A horrorshow.
15. What famous French text does Coulmier invoke in his Scene 2 speech?
(a) The Declaration of Human Rights.
(b) The Declaration of Pilnitz.
(c) The Constitution of 1793.
(d) Democracy in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
2. At the beginning of Scene 8, what does Simone implore Marat to stop doing?
3. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
4. How old is Marat when the events of the play begin?
5. As the chorus sings about the Revolution, what body part do they say is bleeding?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)