|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years after the Revolution do the events of the play-within-the-play take place?
2. What Holocaust term does Sade use in describing mankind's inclination to kill in Scene 12?
(a) Master race.
(c) Concentration camp.
(d) Final solution.
3. To what does the Herald compare Marat's skin in Scene 4?
4. What aspect of Charlotte Corday does the Herald apologize to the audience for mentioning?
(a) Her attractiveness.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her moral laxness.
(d) Her madness.
5. At the end of Scene 5, the Herald announces that unrest has been replace by what?
6. At the beginning of Scene 8, what does Simone implore Marat to stop doing?
(b) Scratching himself.
(d) Staying awake all night.
7. Which character's name does the Chorus chant in unison during Scene 7?
8. From what French town does Corday reside?
9. How many times does the Herald knock his staff at the beginning of Scene 3?
(a) Three times.
(b) Four times.
10. In what room of the asylum does the play take place?
(a) The refractory.
(b) The bathhouse.
(c) Coulmier's lodging.
(d) The courtyard.
11. What actions are the Male Nurses performing at the top of the play?
(a) Chaining patients.
(b) Bathing and massages.
(c) Applying bandages and giving medication.
(d) Playing cards and drinking wine.
12. What device's "singing" is Corday said to have hears in Scene 10?
(a) The tumbrel.
(b) The pipe organ.
(c) The guillotine.
(d) The printing press.
13. Marat never moves from a certain location. What is that location?
(a) A bath.
(b) A chair.
(c) A cage.
(d) A bench.
14. How does Sade characterize the process by which Revolutionaries dole out death sentences?
15. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
(a) The Apostles Creed.
(b) Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.
(c) Hail Mary.
(d) Our Father.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what French town is the play's asylum located?
2. In Scene 12, Marat accuses Sade of lacking what?
3. According to the Herald, what do Marat and Simone share in addition to a vision of France?
4. Who stops Corday from prematurely murdering Marat in Scene 9?
5. In her Scene 7 song, Corday says that which two words meant different things to her and Marat?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)