|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word do the patients chant in unison in Scene 6?
2. Who accompanies Coulmier when he enters the stage?
(a) A priest.
(b) Various nobles.
(d) His family.
3. Which woman in the cast serves as Marat's nurse?
(c) Coulmier's Wife.
4. As Marat and Sade argue in Scene 15, what does Sade conclude no longer interests him?
(c) The individual.
(d) The Revolution.
5. In Marat's Liturgy, which of the following is not a group that he accuses of lying to the poor?
6. What right's inclusion in the Revolution's declaration does Marat lament at the end of Scene 15?
(a) Freedom from want.
(c) A fair trial.
7. According to the Herald at the beginning of Scene 7, to what voice is Marat listening as he writes?
(a) God's voice.
(b) The people's voice.
(c) His fever's voice.
(d) Simone's voice.
8. What was Jacques Roux's former profession?
9. What famous French text does Coulmier invoke in his Scene 2 speech?
(a) The Declaration of Pilnitz.
(b) The Constitution of 1793.
(c) Democracy in America.
(d) The Declaration of Human Rights.
10. With what adjective does Coulmier describe the keepers of the asylum in Scene 2?
11. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
12. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
(a) A festival.
(b) An exorcism.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A horrorshow.
13. Which of the following is not a term hurled at the poor when a shop is looted?
(b) Gutter rats.
14. Who does Coulmier thank at the beginning of his speech in Scene 2?
(c) The audience.
15. In Scene 13, what does Marat say is the essential lie the ruling class gave the poor?
(a) Honor in suffering.
(b) Love of enemies.
(c) Poverty as a virtue.
(d) Divine right.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what building does Corday compare Paris in Scene 10?
2. According to Corday's song in Scene 7, to what does Marat's way lead?
3. To what does the Herald compare Marat's skin in Scene 4?
4. Which character's name does the Chorus chant in unison during Scene 7?
5. Who accompanies Marat at his static position at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)