|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Scene 13, what does Marat say is the essential lie the ruling class gave the poor?
(a) Poverty as a virtue.
(b) Love of enemies.
(c) Honor in suffering.
(d) Divine right.
2. At the end of Scene 5, the Herald announces that unrest has been replace by what?
3. In what room of the asylum does the play take place?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) Coulmier's lodging.
(c) The refractory.
(d) The courtyard.
4. Which of the follow is not something the singers of Scene 5 suggest be done to the ruling class of 1793?
(a) Break them.
(b) Give them the axe.
(c) Jail them.
(d) Bribe them.
5. What device's "singing" is Corday said to have hears in Scene 10?
(a) The pipe organ.
(b) The tumbrel.
(c) The printing press.
(d) The guillotine.
6. Which of the following is not an example Coulmier offers of the Church assisting the poor?
(a) Clothing drives.
(b) Free housing.
(c) Soup kitchens.
(d) Medical aid.
7. According to Sade at the end of Scene 11, from what does the guillotine deliver its victims?
8. What is Coulmier's official position?
(b) Director of the Asylum.
(d) Ambassador from the Emperor.
9. How does Sade characterize the process by which Revolutionaries dole out death sentences?
10. What part of Marat's body does Corday she wants to see sweat as she draws her knife?
(a) His armpits.
(b) His forehead.
(c) His back.
(d) His chest.
11. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
12. In what way does Coulmier protest Sade must present his play?
(b) More decent.
(c) More positive.
13. How many years has the Marquis de Sade been living at Charenton at the time of the play?
14. Who stops Corday from prematurely murdering Marat in Scene 9?
(b) A sister.
15. In Scene 13, what role did the kings hold to the people?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mental affliction does the actor playing Marat have?
2. Which of Dupperet's articles of clothing is mentioned by the Herald in Scene 4?
3. What was the former profession of the interrupting patient in Scene 14?
4. According to Sade at the beginning of Scene 15, what we do is the shadow of what?
5. What famous French text does Coulmier invoke in his Scene 2 speech?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)