|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters is not one of the Singers?
2. What two omnipresent groups represent the asylum security throughout the play?
(a) Male Nurses and Doctors.
(b) Sisters and Doctors.
(c) Sisters and Priests.
(d) Sisters and Male Nurses.
3. In Scene 11, Marat accuses aristocrats of make secret deals with whom?
(a) The reactionary bourgeoisie.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) Foreign armies.
(d) The deposed royal family.
4. What part of Corday's body does the Salesman admire in the dagger-purchasing mime?
(a) Her bosom.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her neck.
(d) Her buttocks.
5. With what term does Sade describe the execution of Damiens?
(a) A festival.
(b) An exorcism.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A horrorshow.
6. In Scene 13, what does Marat say is the essential lie the ruling class gave the poor?
(a) Divine right.
(b) Love of enemies.
(c) Honor in suffering.
(d) Poverty as a virtue.
7. What does Simone tell Corday to do when she sends her away in Scene 9?
(a) Leave Paris at once.
(b) Never return.
(c) Write Marat a letter.
(d) Try back later.
8. According to Sade at the end of Scene 11, from what does the guillotine deliver its victims?
9. What is the "lurid star" under which the Herald says Sade came to the asylum?
10. Which character's name does the Chorus chant in unison during Scene 7?
11. In Scene 14, which prayer does a patient recite in a perverse form?
(a) Hail Mary.
(b) Our Father.
(c) The Apostles Creed.
(d) Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.
12. Where does Corday tell Simone that Marat's enemies are gathering in Scene 9?
13. Who accompanies Marat at his static position at the beginning of the play?
14. Which of the following characters does not have a line in the Homage to Marat?
15. In her Scene 7 song, Corday says that which two words meant different things to her and Marat?
(a) Freedom and mercy.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Love and change.
(d) Action and fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which philosopher does Corday cite in her song in Scene 7?
2. Which character's name does the Heral mention appearing on Marat's black list in Scene 4?
3. What famous French text does Coulmier invoke in his Scene 2 speech?
4. In Marat's Liturgy, which of the following is not a group that he accuses of lying to the poor?
5. In Scene 5, Kokol quips to Marat that Paris facing a shortage of what?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)