Chapter abstracts are short descriptions of events that occur in each chapter. They highlight major plot events and detail the important relationships and characteristics of characters and objects. The Chapter Abstracts can be used to review what the students have read, or to prepare the students for what they will read. Hand the abstracts out in class as a study guide, or use them as a "key" for a class discussion. They are relatively brief, but can serve to be an excellent refresher of the text for either a student or teacher.
Act 1, Scenes 1, 2, and 3 Abstract
* The cast, Sade, and Coulmier enter the bathhouse
* Coulmier welcomes the audience to the play
* The Herald signals the beginning of the play.
Act 1, Scene 4 Abstract
* The Herald introduces the characters of the play
* The Herald introduces the Marquis de Sade
* The Herald calls for the opening song
Act 1, Scenes 5 and 6 Abstract
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)