|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Mantini use to describe Ben's treatment of Carla?
2. What smell pervades Mantini's senses as he is shopping in town?
3. After Ben and Carla go out for dinner, on their first night away from the evacuation site, what do they do?
4. During the evacuation, which of the following floods the streets, making it difficult for Carla to maneuver?
5. What expensive item does Carla leave behind in order to have room in her bag for her memories of Mantini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The evacuation is, arguably, the most important scene in the novel.
Part 1.) Explain why the evacuation was necessary. What political events led up to this moment?
Part 2.) Explain the effect the evacuation had on Mantini's relationship with Carla. How did they deal with their separation?
Part 3.) Describe the way Ben prepped Carla for an evacuation. What tools was Carla given by Ben to help her survive the war?
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of the novel, Carla learns to grieve for many of the things she has lost in her life - her home, her husband, and her lover.
Part 1.) Describe the way Carla dealt with her grief at the opening of the novel, and compare / contrast that to the way she deals with grief at the end of the novel.
Part 2.) Briefly explain what you believe to be the main motivation for Carla to deal with grief in her life. Why did it take 35 years for Carla to learn how to handle her emotions?
Part 3.) Explain which of the main losses in Carla's life: her home, her marriage, or her lover, has had the deepest effect on her life, and why.
Essay Topic 3
As the novel opens, it becomes clear, quite quickly, that the story is set in a foreign land. First, briefly describe the landscape of Libya using images Wetzel constructed within the text. Then, explain how Wetzel used language to transport the readers to Libya. Finally, explain whether or not you found Wetzel's transportive language effective, and why.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)