|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a landmark Carla sees through the window as she is being evacuated from Tripoli?
2. As Carla is evacuated from the city, what part of her body begins to bleed?
3. What has happened to most of the shops in town after the evacuation?
4. Where do Carla and Mantini enjoy their picnic meal during their first public outing?
5. Which of the following elements of his character does Mantini begin to question after the evacuation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of the novel, Carla learns to grieve for many of the things she has lost in her life - her home, her husband, and her lover.
Part 1.) Describe the way Carla dealt with her grief at the opening of the novel, and compare / contrast that to the way she deals with grief at the end of the novel.
Part 2.) Briefly explain what you believe to be the main motivation for Carla to deal with grief in her life. Why did it take 35 years for Carla to learn how to handle her emotions?
Part 3.) Explain which of the main losses in Carla's life: her home, her marriage, or her lover, has had the deepest effect on her life, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Both Mantini and Carla are overwhelmed with their memories from the past. First, explain the memories that haunt Mantini and compare / contrast those to the memories that haunt Carla. Finally, explain how each of these characters comes to terms with the memories that haunt them by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mantini's daughter plays a large role in keeping Carla and Mantini apart. First, explain the relationship Mantini has with his daughter and the hurdles they have had to overcome in their relationship. Then, explain why Mantini's relationship with his daughter prevents him from furthering his relationship with Carla.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)