|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her body is Carla self-conscious of when Mantini first greets her in his shop?
2. In what year is "The Map of Tripoli" set?
3. After Carla arrives in Tripoli, where does Ben travel for work?
4. What is the first thing Carla wants to talk about with Ben over their meal?
5. Which of the following papers is NOT included in the secret envelope that Ben leaves for Carla?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict arose when Mantini found Ben and Lucia dancing together at a party?
2. How has Ben's appearance changed in the year that he has been living in Libya?
3. What reasons does Mantini give himself as to why he decided to stay in Tripoli during the evacuation?
4. What is it about the cafe Mantini visits after the evacuation that gives him hope about the war?
5. How does Carla react to Ben's interaction with the street watcher outside the restaurant?
6. What does Mantini remember of the day that Lucia died?
7. What does Carla pack when she is forced to evacuate Tripoli?
8. How does Mantini describe his villa after the evacuation?
9. What does Carla pack to help her remember Mantini, and what does she specifically leave behind, knowing she may not ever return to her home?
10. What realizations does Carla make about her marriage to Ben while the two are conversing over dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout their lives, both Mantini and Carla were forced to move around quite a bit. Explain why Carla was forced to move around throughout her life, and compare / contrast this with the reasons Mantini was forced to move around. Then, explain how both characters eventually found their roots by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of the novel, Carla learns to grieve for many of the things she has lost in her life - her home, her husband, and her lover.
Part 1.) Describe the way Carla dealt with her grief at the opening of the novel, and compare / contrast that to the way she deals with grief at the end of the novel.
Part 2.) Briefly explain what you believe to be the main motivation for Carla to deal with grief in her life. Why did it take 35 years for Carla to learn how to handle her emotions?
Part 3.) Explain which of the main losses in Carla's life: her home, her marriage, or her lover, has had the deepest effect on her life, and why.
Essay Topic 3
As the novel opens, it becomes clear, quite quickly, that the story is set in a foreign land. First, briefly describe the landscape of Libya using images Wetzel constructed within the text. Then, explain how Wetzel used language to transport the readers to Libya. Finally, explain whether or not you found Wetzel's transportive language effective, and why.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)