|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Carla wants to talk about with Ben over their meal?
2. Where do Carla and Mantini meet during their affair?
3. In what year is "The Map of Tripoli" set?
4. Which of the following scented items does Mantini scrub into Carla's skin?
5. What is "Giaddat Istiklal"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has religion affected Mantini's decision to stay in Tripoli even during the evacuation?
2. What happens when Mantini's store is first vandalized?
3. How has Ben's appearance changed in the year that he has been living in Libya?
4. What reasons does Mantini give himself as to why he decided to stay in Tripoli during the evacuation?
5. What conflict arose when Mantini found Ben and Lucia dancing together at a party?
6. How does Carla receive the news that war has broken out in Tripoli?
7. When he remembers Ben, and the night they met, how does Mantini describe him?
8. What type of relationship does Mantini have with his ex-mother-in-law, Lucia's mother?
9. What message does Carla leave for Mantini once she arrives at the air force base?
10. What compliments do Carla and Mantini exchange when they first meet one another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because she has been forced to move so much in her life, Carla has become accustomed to living out of a suitcase.
Part 1.) Create a list of items Carla carries with her from America in her move to Libya.
Part 2.) Explain how Carla treats the belongings in her home in Tripoli. What type of items does she buy, and what attachments does she have to those items?
Part 3.) Create a list of items Carla packs when she is forced to evacuate Tripoli. What items does she think have the most value? What items does she think have the least value? How does this moment show the progression in her character over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Mantini's view of Americans changes drastically over the course of the novel. First, explain how Mantini felt about Americans before meeting Carla, and give one example of Mantini's interaction with Americans from the beginning of the novel. Then, explain how Carla altered Mantini's view of Americans, and give one example of a way she proved Mantini's stereotype wrong.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of the novel, Carla learns to grieve for many of the things she has lost in her life - her home, her husband, and her lover.
Part 1.) Describe the way Carla dealt with her grief at the opening of the novel, and compare / contrast that to the way she deals with grief at the end of the novel.
Part 2.) Briefly explain what you believe to be the main motivation for Carla to deal with grief in her life. Why did it take 35 years for Carla to learn how to handle her emotions?
Part 3.) Explain which of the main losses in Carla's life: her home, her marriage, or her lover, has had the deepest effect on her life, and why.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)