|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Ben give Carla as to why he relocated her to Libya?
2. How does Ben react when he hears that Carla's car has been vandalized?
3. In what year is "The Map of Tripoli" set?
4. At the time of the novel, how long has Lucia been dead?
5. How does Mohammad get to Carla's house for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mantini believe that Carla should leave Ben?
2. What does Carla pack when she is forced to evacuate Tripoli?
3. How does Carla react to the news that Mantini probably perished during the mob attacks in Tripoli?
4. What information does the British man give Carla at the palazzo, about Tripoli?
5. What is the reaction when Carla's car is vandalized outside Mantini's home?
6. What happens when Carla attempts to drink her coffee the same way Mantini does?
7. How does Carla react when she thinks Mantini has just proposed to her?
8. Where do Carla and Ben meet for the first time in Libya, and why do they choose to meet there?
9. How does Mantini describe his villa after the evacuation?
10. How did Carla and Mohammad meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Carla comes to visit Mantini's shop for the first time, the reader gets to see firsthand how different life in Tripoli is for her. First, describe the difficulties Carla had to endure while traveling to visit Mantini's shop. Then, explain how Carla's struggle with the new culture first brought Mantini close to her.
Essay Topic 2
Mohammad is the matchmaker of this novel. Describe Mohammand's physicality. Then, explain how he helped to bring Carla and Mohammad together. Finally, explain whether or not you believe Mohammad knew what he was doing when he invited Carla to visit him at the crystal shop.
Essay Topic 3
Mantini's view of Americans changes drastically over the course of the novel. First, explain how Mantini felt about Americans before meeting Carla, and give one example of Mantini's interaction with Americans from the beginning of the novel. Then, explain how Carla altered Mantini's view of Americans, and give one example of a way she proved Mantini's stereotype wrong.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)