|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what piece of fruit does Wetzel compare the sunset as Carla sees it through the restaurant window?
2. What religion does Mantini follow in the text?
3. How many children does Mantini have?
4. What language does Mantini speak?
5. How did Lucia die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the evacuees, taken from Tripoli, dropped off?
2. What happens when Mantini's store is first vandalized?
3. How does Carla react to seeing Ben for the first time since moving to Tripoli?
4. How does Mantini deal with Carla's order for crystal goblets?
5. What directions does Ben give Carla in case they need to make a hasty political evacuation?
6. How does Carla settle into her new life in Rome?
7. While discussing the divorce with Ben, where does Carla fix her eyes, and what does she see there?
8. When he remembers the dance, how does Mantini feel about Carla?
9. How does Ben bring up the topic of divorce to Carla?
10. What was significant about Lucia's body at the time she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Mantini and Carla are overwhelmed with their memories from the past. First, explain the memories that haunt Mantini and compare / contrast those to the memories that haunt Carla. Finally, explain how each of these characters comes to terms with the memories that haunt them by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Mantini's view of Americans changes drastically over the course of the novel. First, explain how Mantini felt about Americans before meeting Carla, and give one example of Mantini's interaction with Americans from the beginning of the novel. Then, explain how Carla altered Mantini's view of Americans, and give one example of a way she proved Mantini's stereotype wrong.
Essay Topic 3
The novel "A Map of Tripoli, 1967" is often described as "a love story between two people from different worlds." First, describe the world Carla is from, and then compare / contrast that to the world Mantini is from. Finally, explain whether or not you find this statement to be a fair judgment of the novel, and why.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)