|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal do Carla and Ben meet for on the first day of their reunion?
2. Which of the following is the best translation for the Libyan word "baksheesh"?
3. Who is the first person Mantini tells about meeting Carla?
4. What chore did Mohammad offer to do for Carla when he first met her?
5. Where does Mantini's child live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation about coffee do Carla and Mantini get into when he visits her home for the first time?
2. Why does Mantini believe that Carla should leave Ben?
3. How does Carla receive the news that war has broken out in Tripoli?
4. How does Carla react when Ben brings up the topic of divorce?
5. What was significant about Lucia's body at the time she died?
6. Who is Ben, and where is he at the opening of the novel?
7. How does Mantini deal with Carla's order for crystal goblets?
8. How does Mantini describe Tripoli after the evacuation?
9. How does Marlene Wetzel describe the sunset that Carla watches through the restaurant window?
10. How does Carla react to seeing Ben for the first time since moving to Tripoli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, Mantini takes Carla on numerous romantic dates. Choose one of these romantic dates and describe it. What made this date particularly romantic for the pair? Then, explain how these dates permanently altered they way both Mantini and Carla viewed romance.
Essay Topic 2
When Carla comes to visit Mantini's shop for the first time, the reader gets to see firsthand how different life in Tripoli is for her. First, describe the difficulties Carla had to endure while traveling to visit Mantini's shop. Then, explain how Carla's struggle with the new culture first brought Mantini close to her.
Essay Topic 3
Lucia is a powerful force in Mantini's life throughout the novel. First, explain how Lucia died and what effect that death had on Mantini. Then, explain how Lucia's presence continued to stay with Mantini and how that presence affected his daily life, and his life with Carla.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)