|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Carla thinks about divorcing Ben, what does she tell him he can have custody of?
(a) Their past.
(b) Their dog.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their pain.
2. After returning from town, what possession of Carla's does Mantini find?
(a) Her book.
(b) Her sweater.
(c) Her necklace.
(d) Her hair brush.
3. Which of the following elements of his character does Mantini begin to question after the evacuation?
(a) His ability to love.
(b) His bravery.
(c) His financial standing.
(d) His physical strength.
4. As Carla is evacuated from the city, what part of her body begins to bleed?
(a) Her nose.
(b) Her mouth.
(c) Her eyes.
(d) Her hands.
5. When Carla reaches the air force base, who does she leave a note for, hoping it will one day be delivered?
6. What beverage does Carla serve Mantini the first time he visits her in her home?
7. Which of the following is NOT a landmark Carla sees through the window as she is being evacuated from Tripoli?
(a) Mantini's shop.
(b) The beach where she and Mantini had a picnic.
(c) The restuarant where she met Ben.
(d) Her house in Tripoli.
8. Which of the following characters is NOT one that Carla believes is complicating her relationship with Mantini?
(c) The baby.
9. What treasure does Carla find while enjoying her picnic meal with Mantini?
(a) A piece of glass.
(b) A piece of silver.
(c) A piece of gold.
(d) A piece of copper.
10. In what African country was Ben working during the evacuation of Tripoli?
11. What request does Mantini make of Carla during his first visit to her home?
(a) He asks Carla to have a child with him.
(b) He asks that Carla leave Ben.
(c) He asks Carla to marry him.
(d) He asks Carla to run away with him.
12. Which of the following characters was NOT abandoned by their loved one in the story?
(c) The baby.
13. Which of the following types of bread does Mantini buy in town after the evacuation?
14. When Carla begins to bleed during the evacuation, who does she realize injured her?
(a) Mohammad injured her.
(b) She injured herself.
(c) Ben injured her.
(d) Mantini injured her.
15. Which of the following food items does Carla take with her while evacuating?
(c) Carla does not bring any food with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben admit is the one part about Carla he never liked?
2. When Carla finds the treasure on her picnic with Mantini, what body part does she think the treasure looks like?
3. What war unexpectedly breaks out in Tripoli?
4. How does Mantini feel about the cafe owners who have kept their shop open during wartime?
5. Where do Carla and Mantini enjoy their picnic meal during their first public outing?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)