|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Scott doing when Karen enters the house?
2. What does Scott say Karen looks like as she approaches the house?
3. Bill debates the relationship between what?
4. What is the name of the sect leader?
5. What is the name of Bill's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy torture the prisoner?
2. How does the author describe George Haddad?
3. Who is Omar and how does he help Karen?
4. What do Karen and Scott do when Karen arrives back at the house?
5. What does Brita see from her bombed out apartment at the end of this section?
6. What does Scott think about in Bill's office?
7. Why does Charlie say George is an interesting sort of academic?
8. What does Rashid say about the identity of the people of his nation?
9. Summarize this section.
10. What do Karen and Scott do the following day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Mao picture symbolize in the context of the story? How is Mao compared to the main character Bill?
Essay Topic 2
What are the author's views on the following subjects.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)