|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the people Scott says he is worried about?
2. What does Scott clean in this section?
3. Why do Charlie and Bill have to evacuate the building?
4. Out of what has the street vendor made his 'little city'?
5. What song does a man play on his horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize this section.
2. What does Scott find out about Bill in this section?
3. What does Charlie say he wants to do in terms of publishing?
4. What does Bill realize about his writing in this section?
5. What is the plan that Charlie lays out for Bill?
6. What does Brita see from her bombed out apartment at the end of this section?
7. What do Karen and Scott do the following day?
8. How does Bill die in this section?
9. Describe the part of Beirut Brita is driving through at the beginning of the section.
10. How does the boy torture the prisoner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author represent the life of a writer? What is his representation trying to express within the context of the story? Is it an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)