|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Rashid say that Brita must be a student?
2. To which dictator does Scott compare Bill ?
3. What is Scott doing when Karen enters the house?
4. What does Rashid tell Brita he doesn't want to hear about?
5. How is Bill hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy torture the prisoner?
2. What does Scott think about in Bill's office?
3. What does Bill realize about his writing in this section?
4. How does Karen become acquainted with the homeless people?
5. What does Bill think about Charlie?
6. Why does Charlie say George is an interesting sort of academic?
7. What does Charlie say he wants to do in terms of publishing?
8. What does Karen do with the spoon?
9. How does Brita react to Rashid's comments about Mao?
10. Describe the part of Beirut Brita is driving through at the beginning of the section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author represent the life of a writer? What is his representation trying to express within the context of the story? Is it an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 2
What does Haddad mean when he says that terrorism defends against the defenseless? What are the arguments for and against his statement?
Essay Topic 3
What is Charlie's role in the novel? How would the novel change if he was not one of the characters? How does he wake Bill up to other matters in life? In what way is he the only character that could have done this?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)