|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bill used to say the nice thing about life is?
2. Where does Karen say Kim is?
3. What is the name of the boy Karen befriends?
4. What does Bill say terrorism destroys?
5. What secret does Scott say he holds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Omar and how does he help Karen?
2. What does Bill think about Charlie?
3. What does Scott think about in Bill's office?
4. What does Scott contemplate in Bill's office?
5. What does Scott find out about Bill in this section?
6. Why does Charlie say George is an interesting sort of academic?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What does Rashid say about Chairman Mao?
9. For what does Scott tell Karen they need to prepare?
10. What does Rashid say about the identity of the people of his nation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What are Bill's views on life? How relevant are these views considering that he has been a recluse for so long? Does a writer have a responsibility to be a part of society?
Essay Topic 3
What does Haddad mean when he says that terrorism defends against the defenseless? What are the arguments for and against his statement?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)