|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Bill want his third novel published?
2. What can Brita and Scott hear Bill doing in this section?
3. What is Bil doing outside the bathroom window?
4. What kind of logic does Karen say her father will be using?
5. What is the name of Karen's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brita say she is scared of writers?
2. How does Charlie say he is dealing with his current crop of moaning writers?
3. What does Bill imagine about Brita's life?
4. What does Karen say American culture does with the word 'cult'?
5. What has happened to Bill in Chapter Eight?
6. What does Bill say binds terrorists and writers?
7. How does the author describe Reverend Moon?
8. How does Scott meet Bill?
9. What does Maureen joke that is the only reason there are so few American faces?
10. What does Moon think about the faces looking at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the Moonies? What influence did they have on American popular culture during the seventies? Why does Karen find it so difficult to escape them both physically and mentally? Why does the author represent them as threatening? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
What are Bill's views on life? How relevant are these views considering that he has been a recluse for so long? Does a writer have a responsibility to be a part of society?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)