|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the man at the window waiting to appear?
2. How does the author describe the colors Maureen is wearing?
3. What is the name of Karen's mother?
4. For what author does the young man like to check the shelves?
5. Who do Charlie and Bill remember as a fantastic woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karen think of her parents?
2. Why does Karen both scare and delight Bill?
3. How does Charlie want Bill to help him with the hostage in Beirut?
4. What does Charlie say is Bill's idea of a writer's life?
5. What does Karen say American culture does with the word 'cult'?
6. How does Charlie say he is dealing with his current crop of moaning writers?
7. How does Scott become acquainted with Karen?
8. How does Scott meet Bill?
9. Why does Scott say that he tells Bill what he does?
10. With what does Scott say he has experience since his time in the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author represent the life of a writer? What is his representation trying to express within the context of the story? Is it an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 2
What did Scott first find in Bill's writing that he liked? Why did Bill decide to take on Scott? Has Scott helped or hindered Bill? How would Bill cope without him?
Essay Topic 3
What parallels does the author draw between terrorism and writing? What are the strengths and weaknesses of this comparison?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)