|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles say kept buzzing in his head when he went home to sleep after a night out in the fifties?
2. What does Charlie keep in his drink cabinet for writers?
3. What does Roger say is the only thing Kim's interpreter taught him to say?
4. Who do Charlie and Bill remember as a fantastic woman?
5. What does Scott say shows the beauty of a great man's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie say he is dealing with his current crop of moaning writers?
2. How does Karen escape her cousins at the airport?
3. How does Scott meet Bill?
4. What does Charlie remember fondly about the fifties?
5. What does Charlie say is Bill's idea of a writer's life?
6. Why does Karen both scare and delight Bill?
7. What has happened to Bill in Chapter Eight?
8. What does Moon think about the faces looking at him?
9. What does Brita think is special about the writer's face?
10. What does Bill imagine about Brita's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters in the novel and discuss how their character changes through the story.
Essay Topic 3
What does the Mao picture symbolize in the context of the story? How is Mao compared to the main character Bill?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)