|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word of Chapter Six?
2. Where does Brita live?
3. How does Karen describe her mother's stare?
4. What kind of writers does Brita say she prefers?
5. What does Brita tell Bill she feels in his company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie say he is dealing with his current crop of moaning writers?
2. What does Brita think is special about the writer's face?
3. What has happened to Bill in Chapter Eight?
4. With what does Scott say he has experience since his time in the city?
5. When does Bill say he felt good as a child?
6. How does the author describe Reverend Moon?
7. What does Charlie say is Bill's idea of a writer's life?
8. What is Karen watching on television?
9. How does the author describe Maureen?
10. What does Karen say American culture does with the word 'cult'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Haddad mean when he says that terrorism defends against the defenseless? What are the arguments for and against his statement?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)