|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Tanner to run away?
2. What form of transportation does Violet use?
3. Who is Rhoda?
4. What item is in question?
5. Which word best describes Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the chauffeur doing in the first part of Act 2?
2. Why does Malone object to Hector and Violet's plans?
3. Why did Shaw feel the need to modernize the play?
4. Why must the marriage be a secret?
5. What is disappointing to the chauffeur?
6. What is the author's opinion about the role of women in the play?
7. What is the news delivered by Tavy?
8. Explain the situation with Whitefield's will.
9. What is the context of the scene between Violet and Malone Sr.?
10. What are the main responsibilities of a man and woman?
Essay Topic 1
Mendoza and the brigands are pirates of the road. Compare and contrast the brigands to Robin Hood. Examine the use of pirates in literature versus modern day pirates on the open sea.
Essay Topic 2
Marriage is a main topic of the play. At the time the play was written marriage was viewed much differently than it is today. Compare and contrast the concept of marriage during that time with today.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Tanner was upset about Whitefield's will. What did Tanner want to do? Why did Tanner go to Ramsden for help? Could anything be done legally without contesting the will? Explain. What would you do in Tanner's place?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)