|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tanner, marrying Ann would bring:
2. What does Tanner tease Henry about?
3. Which group is least admired?
4. One of the characters compares marriage to which of the following?
5. What adjective best describes Tanner's ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name at least one main theme in Act 4.
2. What is the main issue between Robinson and Ann?
3. What detail about Violet's condition is overlooked by the group?
4. How does Tavy react to Ann's response? Who intervenes?
5. What opinions do Mrs. Whitefield and Tanner have about Ann's actions?
6. What is Tanner's view of social and self-imposed morality?
7. What hopes did Whitefield have for Robinson?
8. What is Don Juan's response to the devil's failed insults?
9. When the group parts ways, who goes to Heaven and who stays in Hell?
10. What is the difference between Shaw's references to revolutionists compared to those created by other authors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet is incensed when she learns that Hector Malone Sr. may cut Hector off without any allowance or inheritance. Violet feels that the working class is beneath her. Do you think Mr. Malone's money is one of the reasons Violet chose Hector? Describe your views on the concept of sugar daddies.
Essay Topic 2
When Don Juan finds himself in hell he cannot understand why he has been sent there. Examine Don Juan's reasons for objecting to being in hell. Is there any difference between self-defense and murder? If so, what other options might have been presented to Don Juan?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of Roebuck Ramsden and Jack Tanner. How do they measure up against other characters in the work? Which do you prefer, and why? Describe each of their personal philosophies.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)