|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item is in question?
2. What annoys Tanner?
3. Which of the following does the would-be suitor lack?
4. Who gives a note to Tanner?
5. The play deals with what conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Shaw, what would literature be like if it portrayed real life?
2. What question from Walkley prompted Shaw to write the play?
3. What are Mendoza and his group doing waiting beside the road? What is the group called?
4. What is Ann's excuse for refusing Tavy's proposal a second time?
5. What does Don Juan tell the confused old woman who believes she has been displaced?
6. What warning does Shaw issue to Walkley?
7. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
8. What is the devil's explanation of Heaven versus Hell?
9. What causes Hector to reveal the secret marriage?
10. What is implied by Tanner's inaction in denying Ann's announcement of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violet is incensed when she learns that Hector Malone Sr. may cut Hector off without any allowance or inheritance. Violet feels that the working class is beneath her. Do you think Mr. Malone's money is one of the reasons Violet chose Hector? Describe your views on the concept of sugar daddies.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story from the point of view of Henry. How would Henry's perception of events be different from Tanner's perception? How would it differ from the perceptions of Ann or Tavy?
Essay Topic 3
Shaw determines that Tanner would not make a good Don Juan. Why? What about Tanner does not match up to be stereotypical image of Don Juan? What could be changed about Tanner so that he would fit the image? Is there anyone else in the story who would be better suited as Don Juan? Explain.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)