|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What annoys Tanner?
2. What is the difference between the secretly wed couple?
3. What type of woman was often written about by modernists?
4. How do visitors arrive?
5. What does Tanner tease Henry about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tanner's general description of a revolutionist?
2. What is implied by Tanner's inaction in denying Ann's announcement of marriage?
3. What is Don Juan's opinion on intellect and like topics?
4. Why does Shaw refer to man as being stubborn? How does it affect a man's life?
5. Why is Ramsden forced to see Tanner when the man arrives unexpectedly?
6. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
7. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
8. Why must the marriage be a secret?
9. What is the author's opinion on previous attempts to write about relationships?
10. List at least one of Tanner's maxims for the revolutionist.
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tanner was upset about Whitefield's will. What did Tanner want to do? Why did Tanner go to Ramsden for help? Could anything be done legally without contesting the will? Explain. What would you do in Tanner's place?
Essay Topic 2
Mendoza and the brigands are pirates of the road. Compare and contrast the brigands to Robin Hood. Examine the use of pirates in literature versus modern day pirates on the open sea.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the overall concept of Don Juan. Describe the character physically, emotionally and spiritually. How is Don Juan different from the average man? Is there such a thing as a perfect man?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)