|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Literature often focuses on what aspect of a woman?
2. Ann claims she can think of nothing but what?
3. The letter asked a question about what famous character?
4. What word most accurately expresses the opinion of the author's detractors?
5. What was a new technology at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
2. What is disappointing to the chauffeur?
3. What is the devil's explanation of Heaven versus Hell?
4. What brings about the identity of Violet's secret husband?
5. Why does Ramsden have a negative opinion of Tanner?
6. How does Tavy react to Ann's response? Who intervenes?
7. Why is it that man can never be completely satisfied with himself and life in general?
8. What question from Walkley prompted Shaw to write the play?
9. What is the difference between Shaw's references to revolutionists compared to those created by other authors?
10. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tanner told Ann she should stand up to her mother. Tanner offered Ann a trip across Europe as an incentive. What was Tanner's real intention? Was the invitation sincere? How did Ann respond? What was Tanner's reaction to the response? Do you think the trip will ever take place?
Essay Topic 2
Violet is incensed when she learns that Hector Malone Sr. may cut Hector off without any allowance or inheritance. Violet feels that the working class is beneath her. Do you think Mr. Malone's money is one of the reasons Violet chose Hector? Describe your views on the concept of sugar daddies.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Violet and Hector. Why was the relationship kept secret? Was the reason legitimate? How would the families react to the news? What was the outcome of the plan? Was there a better plan?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)