|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Don Juan character?
2. What was the purpose of the visit?
3. Which political form interests Shaw?
4. Shaw has not relied on other writers':
5. According to Shaw, Ann is not afraid to compromise in which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tavy react to Ann's response? Who intervenes?
2. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
3. What is the context of the scene between Violet and Malone Sr.?
4. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
5. Why does Ramsden have a negative opinion of Tanner?
6. Who is appointed as Ann's guardian?
7. How does Tanner address the popular theory of the beginning of the quest for the superman?
8. What is disappointing to the chauffeur?
9. Why is Robinson so upset when he visits Ramsden?
10. What is Mrs. Whitefield's opinion of Tavy? What does she want for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities of Roebuck Ramsden and Jack Tanner. How do they measure up against other characters in the work? Which do you prefer, and why? Describe each of their personal philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
Ann and Violet are both manipulative people. What is the purpose for this behavior? Describe your view of the art of manipulation. Give at least five examples of how a person can be manipulated. Have you ever been manipulated? Have you ever been one to manipulate another? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When Tavy proposes to Ann, the girl claims that she cannot think of anything but her father's death. List the five stages of grief and which one Ann is experiencing at the time of the proposal.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)