|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tanner refers to Ramsden as being:
2. What word most accurately expresses the opinion of the author's detractors?
3. Most writers portray men as:
4. What is supposedly the cause behind the incident with Rhoda?
5. Shaw says that women no longer ask for:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ramsden have a negative opinion of Tanner?
2. What is disappointing to the chauffeur?
3. What detail about Violet's condition is overlooked by the group?
4. What is the author's opinion on previous attempts to write about relationships?
5. What is Mrs. Whitefield's opinion of Tavy? What does she want for him?
6. Who is appointed as Ann's guardian?
7. What causes Hector to reveal the secret marriage?
8. Explain at least one of Shaw's main points in the handbook.
9. What is Ann's excuse for refusing Tavy's proposal a second time?
10. What is the primary problem with defining the superman?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story from the point of view of Henry. How would Henry's perception of events be different from Tanner's perception? How would it differ from the perceptions of Ann or Tavy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Ann, Rhoda and Mrs. Whitefield before and after Mr. Whitefield's death. How did the relationships change? Who took over as the head of the family? Was it a wise choice? Where do you think the family will be in one year? In five years?
Essay Topic 3
Shaw determines that Tanner would not make a good Don Juan. Why? What about Tanner does not match up to be stereotypical image of Don Juan? What could be changed about Tanner so that he would fit the image? Is there anyone else in the story who would be better suited as Don Juan? Explain.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)