|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was the letter addressed?
2. What does Henry do each time Ann's name is mentioned?
3. Who has become, in essence, Don Juan?
4. What adjective best describes Tanner's ideas?
5. Who is uniquely absent from the complicated actions of ordinary men and women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ann's excuse for refusing Tavy's proposal a second time?
2. What is Shaw's opinion regarding famed writers Byron, Wordsworth and Shelley?
3. What is Don Juan's opinion on intellect and like topics?
4. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
5. Why does Shaw refer to man as being stubborn? How does it affect a man's life?
6. What are the main responsibilities of a man and woman?
7. Who was in the group of people that approached Ann and Tanner?
8. When the group parts ways, who goes to Heaven and who stays in Hell?
9. Name at least one main theme in Act 4.
10. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare your concept of heaven and hell against Shaw's dream sequence? Do you believe in heaven and hell? If so describe in detail what each plays some might look like and types of activities that take place there. Who might you see there? If you do not believe in heaven and hell. Discuss your concept of the afterlife, and any supporting references.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the overall concept of Don Juan. Describe the character physically, emotionally and spiritually. How is Don Juan different from the average man? Is there such a thing as a perfect man?
Essay Topic 3
Tanner told Ann she should stand up to her mother. Tanner offered Ann a trip across Europe as an incentive. What was Tanner's real intention? Was the invitation sincere? How did Ann respond? What was Tanner's reaction to the response? Do you think the trip will ever take place?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)