|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What annoys Tanner?
2. What is the difference between the secretly wed couple?
3. What type of woman was often written about by modernists?
4. How do visitors arrive?
5. What does Tanner tease Henry about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tanner's general description of a revolutionist?
2. What is implied by Tanner's inaction in denying Ann's announcement of marriage?
3. What is Don Juan's opinion on intellect and like topics?
4. Why does Shaw refer to man as being stubborn? How does it affect a man's life?
5. Why is Ramsden forced to see Tanner when the man arrives unexpectedly?
6. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
7. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
8. Why must the marriage be a secret?
9. What is the author's opinion on previous attempts to write about relationships?
10. List at least one of Tanner's maxims for the revolutionist.
Essay Topic 1
When Tavy proposes to Ann, the girl claims that she cannot think of anything but her father's death. List the five stages of grief and which one Ann is experiencing at the time of the proposal.
Essay Topic 2
Shaw determines that Tanner would not make a good Don Juan. Why? What about Tanner does not match up to be stereotypical image of Don Juan? What could be changed about Tanner so that he would fit the image? Is there anyone else in the story who would be better suited as Don Juan? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the overall concept of Don Juan. Describe the character physically, emotionally and spiritually. How is Don Juan different from the average man? Is there such a thing as a perfect man?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)