|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Tavy use to describe Ann?
2. According to Tanner, marrying Ann would bring:
3. Who spouts contradictory opinions on the proposed marriage?
4. Who causes the secret to be kept?
5. What adjective best describes Tanner's ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
2. What is Malone's connection to Mendoza?
3. What are the main responsibilities of a man and woman?
4. Why is Robinson so upset when he visits Ramsden?
5. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
6. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
7. Name at least one main theme in Act 4.
8. What is Ann's excuse for refusing Tavy's proposal a second time?
9. What is the difference between Shaw's references to revolutionists compared to those created by other authors?
10. What is Tanner's view of social and self-imposed morality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare your concept of heaven and hell against Shaw's dream sequence? Do you believe in heaven and hell? If so describe in detail what each plays some might look like and types of activities that take place there. Who might you see there? If you do not believe in heaven and hell. Discuss your concept of the afterlife, and any supporting references.
Essay Topic 2
Mendoza and the brigands are pirates of the road. Compare and contrast the brigands to Robin Hood. Examine the use of pirates in literature versus modern day pirates on the open sea.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the class system in America to the class system in England. Which is more rigid? Are the criteria the same? What in America equals a royal title in England? What are the stages of status in each location?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)