Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What annoys Tanner?
2. What is the difference between the secretly wed couple?
3. What type of woman was often written about by modernists?
4. How do visitors arrive?
5. What does Tanner tease Henry about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tanner's general description of a revolutionist?
2. What is implied by Tanner's inaction in denying Ann's announcement of marriage?
3. What is Don Juan's opinion on intellect and like topics?
4. Why does Shaw refer to man as being stubborn? How does it affect a man's life?
5. Why is Ramsden forced to see Tanner when the man arrives unexpectedly?
6. Explain Tanner's opinion on marriage.
7. What example of a reward does Tanner use to make his point?
8. Why must the marriage be a secret?
9. What is the author's opinion on previous attempts to write about relationships?
10. List at least one of Tanner's maxims for the revolutionist.
Essay Topic 1
Marriage is a main topic of the play. At the time the play was written marriage was viewed much differently than it is today. Compare and contrast the concept of marriage during that time with today.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Ann, Rhoda and Mrs. Whitefield before and after Mr. Whitefield's death. How did the relationships change? Who took over as the head of the family? Was it a wise choice? Where do you think the family will be in one year? In five years?
Essay Topic 3
When Ana meets her father in hell the girl is upset because her father does not remember her. Don Juan stated that familial relationships are not sustained in the afterlife. Write a short story about meeting a family member in the afterlife when one person does not remember the other.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)