|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between the secretly wed couple?
2. Which composer inspired Shaw?
3. The play deals with what conflict?
4. Which writer does Shaw refer to as being "a force?"
5. According to Shaw, Ann is not afraid to compromise in which area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main responsibilities of a man and woman?
2. What is Mrs. Whitefield's opinion of Tavy? What does she want for him?
3. Explain at least one of Shaw's main points in the handbook.
4. What is the devil's explanation of Heaven versus Hell?
5. List some of the topics addressed by Tanner in the handbook.
6. What is Don Juan's opinion on intellect and like topics?
7. Describe Roebuck Ramsden.
8. Why is it that man can never be completely satisfied with himself and life in general?
9. What is Ann's excuse for refusing Tavy's proposal a second time?
10. Explain the situation with Whitefield's will.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Tanner was upset about Whitefield's will. What did Tanner want to do? Why did Tanner go to Ramsden for help? Could anything be done legally without contesting the will? Explain. What would you do in Tanner's place?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the story from the point of view of Henry. How would Henry's perception of events be different from Tanner's perception? How would it differ from the perceptions of Ann or Tavy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Violet and Tavy. Are they close? Is there anything unusual about their collective childhood? How might the pregnancy affect the relationship? How did Whitefield's death change things for the brother and sister?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)