|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of the visit?
2. What is Ramsden's first name?
3. What item is in question?
4. What is Don Juan's profession?
5. Violet associates what with degradation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Roebuck Ramsden.
2. What is Shaw's opinion regarding famed writers Byron, Wordsworth and Shelley?
3. Why does Ramsden have a negative opinion of Tanner?
4. Why is Ramsden forced to see Tanner when the man arrives unexpectedly?
5. What is the primary problem with defining the superman?
6. What is the context of the scene between Violet and Malone Sr.?
7. List some of the topics addressed by Tanner in the handbook.
8. What does Mendoza say that makes Henry so angry?
9. What is Malone's connection to Mendoza?
10. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the story from the point of view of Henry. How would Henry's perception of events be different from Tanner's perception? How would it differ from the perceptions of Ann or Tavy?
Essay Topic 2
Marriage is a main topic of the play. At the time the play was written marriage was viewed much differently than it is today. Compare and contrast the concept of marriage during that time with today.
Essay Topic 3
Mendoza and the brigands are pirates of the road. Compare and contrast the brigands to Robin Hood. Examine the use of pirates in literature versus modern day pirates on the open sea.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)