|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in love with Ann?
2. What is the result of art based on relationships?
3. What is a man's primary responsibility?
4. Which writer does Shaw refer to as being "a force?"
5. Shaw says that women no longer ask for:
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about the identity of Violet's secret husband?
2. Who is appointed as Ann's guardian?
3. Why does Shaw refer to man as being stubborn? How does it affect a man's life?
4. Why did Shaw feel the need to modernize the play?
5. Explain at least one of Shaw's main points in the handbook.
6. Why does Malone object to Hector and Violet's plans?
7. What causes Hector to reveal the secret marriage?
8. What are Don Juan's views on moral hypocrisy? Who disagrees with these views?
9. What is the news delivered by Tavy?
10. What is disappointing to the chauffeur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann and Violet are both manipulative people. What is the purpose for this behavior? Describe your view of the art of manipulation. Give at least five examples of how a person can be manipulated. Have you ever been manipulated? Have you ever been one to manipulate another? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Marriage is a main topic of the play. At the time the play was written marriage was viewed much differently than it is today. Compare and contrast the concept of marriage during that time with today.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Ann, Rhoda and Mrs. Whitefield before and after Mr. Whitefield's death. How did the relationships change? Who took over as the head of the family? Was it a wise choice? Where do you think the family will be in one year? In five years?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)