|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The dedication begins with a letter written by which author?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) George Bernard Shaw.
(d) Franz Kafka.
2. What was the purpose of the visit?
(a) To arrange a marriage.
(b) To discuss guardianship.
(c) To shoot the host.
(d) To settle a gambling debt.
3. What causes Tanner to run away?
(a) His presence is requested at Parliament.
(b) He is a fugitive.
(c) Ann's flirtation.
(d) He can make money by becoming a sailor.
4. What was a new technology at the time?
5. What is Ramsden's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. The play deals with what conflict?
2. Shaw believes that society is following the path of which two places?
3. What is the difference between the secretly wed couple?
4. To whom was the letter addressed?
5. What is the subject of Tanner's lecture to Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
2. What is implied by Tanner's inaction in denying Ann's announcement of marriage?
3. What is Don Juan's response to the devil's failed insults?
4. What is Tanner's excuse for attempting to withdraw the invitation? How does Ann react?
5. What is the chauffeur doing in the first part of Act 2?
6. Who is appointed as Ann's guardian?
7. List at least one of Tanner's maxims for the revolutionist.
8. What is the devil's explanation of Heaven versus Hell?
9. What causes Hector to reveal the secret marriage?
10. What is the primary problem with defining the superman?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)