Short Essay Questions Key
1. What question from Walkley prompted Shaw to write the play?
Walkley asked Shaw, more than a decade before the play was written, why he had never written a Don Juan play.
2. What warning does Shaw issue to Walkley?
Shaw says that he has finally written a Don Juan play, but he warns Walkley that it may not be what he expects.
3. What is the author's opinion on previous attempts to write about relationships?
Shaw finds all previous attempts to deal with the relationship between the sexes have been a failure.
4. How does Shaw describe the essence of Don Juan?
Shaw describes Don Juan character as being "a man who though gifted enough to be exceptionally capable of distinguishing between good and evil, follows his own instincts."
5. What inspired Shaw's version of Don Juan?
Shaw based his Don Juan on Mozart's version of Don Juan. Shaw considers Mozart's creation the last and possibly the only great Don Juan.
This section contains 1,964 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)