|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the trolley remind Maniac of?
2. How does Maniac make the deal even better for the McNab boys to go to school?
3. Where is Russell that Piper screams about?
4. Why doesn't Maniac stay in the band shell after Grayson's death?
5. What story does Maniac tell to help John with his brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
2. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
3. How does Maniac manipulate Russell and Piper and how do they manipulate Maniac?
4. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
5. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
6. What heroic feats does Maniac perform for Russell and Piper?
7. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
8. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
9. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
10. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Maniac and Mars Bar grow? What do each of the boys give to the other that each is lacking? How does this relationship epitomize the good in human nature?
Essay Topic 2
The nickname of the Maniac helps turn him into a legend. How so? Use specific examples from the novel. How is this legendary status a drawback for Maniac?
Essay Topic 3
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)