|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up for Grayson's funeral?
2. When Maniac returned to the West End in Chapter 40, where does he go first?
3. What does the trolley remind Maniac of?
4. What does Russell attempt to travel with?
5. How do Maniac and Mars react to each other when they first begin running together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What heroic feats does Maniac perform for Russell and Piper?
2. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
3. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
4. How does the situation with Mars Bar climax at Piper's birthday party and how does Mars Bar deal with it all?
5. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
6. What do the worms symbolize?
7. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
8. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
9. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
10. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't Maniac go to school? How does this decision affect Maniac, as well as the other major characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)