|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Maniac bring Piper?
2. What do the Cobras do while Mars Bar and Maniac play games with the younger ones?
3. What do the Pickwells believe that Mars Bar carries with him all of the time?
4. What does Maniac do after he discovers Grayson is dead?
5. Where does Maniac sleep now that it is almost June?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
2. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
3. What part of the day does Maniac enjoy the most and why now that June was on its way?
4. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
5. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
6. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
7. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
8. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
9. What is family life like at the McNabs?
10. How does Maniac manipulate Russell and Piper and how do they manipulate Maniac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Maniac go to school? How does this decision affect Maniac, as well as the other major characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)