|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Russell attempt to travel with?
2. Why does Maniac take Mars Bar to the Pickwells?
3. To whom are the two boys related?
4. What do the two young boys in the second cabin continuously call Maniac?
5. What can Maniac hear even further away than before, now that he is not living in any particular home in chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
2. What kind of a home do the McNabs live in?
3. What do the worms symbolize?
4. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
5. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
6. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
7. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
8. In what way does Maniac come to know everyone in town?
9. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
10. How does the situation with Mars Bar climax at Piper's birthday party and how does Mars Bar deal with it all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)