|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Maniac use to try to keep Russell and Piper in school after he came back to the McNabs'?
2. What does Amanda do to wake up Maniac at the zoo?
3. What best describes the McNab house?
4. What do the McNabs call the thing that they are building in the dining room of the McNab house?
5. What story does Maniac change in telling to the Pickwells?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
2. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
3. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
4. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
5. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
6. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
7. In what way does Maniac come to know everyone in town?
8. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
9. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
10. What part of the day does Maniac enjoy the most and why now that June was on its way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 14 ends with this quote, "Inside a house a kid gets one name, but on the other side of the door, it's whatever the rest of the world wants to call him." How and why does Maniac wear one "mask" inside and one outside? How does this apply to all of mankind?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)