|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac tell the McNab boys about Mexico so that they will not want to go there?
2. What are all of the boys bringing into the dining room of the McNab house?
3. Why does Maniac take Mars Bar to the Pickwells?
4. What do the McNab brothers do when they discover that they were actually with Maniac--the famous guy?
5. How many nights does Maniac stay in the cabin in Valley Forge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of the day does Maniac enjoy the most and why now that June was on its way?
2. What kind of a home do the McNabs live in?
3. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
4. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
5. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
6. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
7. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
8. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
9. How does the situation with Mars Bar climax at Piper's birthday party and how does Mars Bar deal with it all?
10. How does Grayson't death affect Maniac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)