|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maniac take Mars Bar to the Pickwells?
2. What does Amanda do to wake up Maniac at the zoo?
3. What does Mars Bar challenge Maniac to?
4. Why do the other children want to touch Maniac after he speaks with whoever answered Finsterwald's door?
5. What does Maniac say when Amanda tells him that they are going home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
2. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
3. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
4. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
5. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
6. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
7. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
8. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
9. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
10. What heroic feats does Maniac perform for Russell and Piper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)