|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Cobras come to do in the McNab house?
2. What do the Cobras do while Mars Bar and Maniac play games with the younger ones?
3. What deal does Maniac first make with the McNab boys about school?
4. Where does Maniac sleep one night--just once in Chapter 43?
5. Why do the other children want to touch Maniac after he speaks with whoever answered Finsterwald's door?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
2. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
3. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
4. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
5. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
6. How does Grayson't death affect Maniac?
7. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
8. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
9. What kind of a home do the McNabs live in?
10. How is the race between Maniac and Mars Bar uncharacteristic of Maniac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Maniac able to fit into both the black community and the white community? Since he can do this, what does he see that others who cannot fit in don't see?
Essay Topic 3
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)