|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maniac convince Mars Bar to go to the West End?
2. What does John believe is going to happen at some point with the East Enders?
3. What are all of the boys bringing into the dining room of the McNab house?
4. Why does Maniac allow the McNab boys to continue asking him to do the feats?
5. What does Mars Bar call Maniac when they meet again in chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a home do the McNabs live in?
2. What part of the day does Maniac enjoy the most and why now that June was on its way?
3. How does Mars Bar's rescue of Russell help change the prejudices of the town?
4. How does Grayson't death affect Maniac?
5. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
6. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
7. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
8. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
9. What is family life like at the McNabs?
10. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)