|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Maniac run from the graveyard?
2. Why do Russell and Piper kick Maniac out of their house?
3. Why won't Mars Bar climb the fence where the buffalo are?
4. What can Maniac hear even further away than before, now that he is not living in any particular home in chapter 43?
5. Where does Maniac sleep one night--just once in Chapter 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the race between Maniac and Mars Bar uncharacteristic of Maniac?
2. How does Grayson't death affect Maniac?
3. What do the worms symbolize?
4. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
5. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
6. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
7. How does Maniac manipulate Russell and Piper and how do they manipulate Maniac?
8. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
9. How does Mars Bar's rescue of Russell help change the prejudices of the town?
10. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 2
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
Essay Topic 3
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)