|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Maniac change in telling to the Pickwells?
2. What deal does Maniac first make with the McNab boys about school?
3. Why doesn't Maniac stay in the band shell after Grayson's death?
4. Why do the other children want to touch Maniac after he speaks with whoever answered Finsterwald's door?
5. What does the trolley remind Maniac of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
2. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
3. How does Grayson't death affect Maniac?
4. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
5. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
6. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
7. How is the race between Maniac and Mars Bar uncharacteristic of Maniac?
8. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
9. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
10. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
Essay Topic 2
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)