|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Russell and Piper fear has happened to Maniac while in the East End?
2. What can Maniac hear even further away than before, now that he is not living in any particular home in chapter 43?
3. What does Maniac make the McNab boys return to Dorsey's Grocery?
4. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
5. How does Maniac feel about Mars Bar when the whole McNab birthday party situation is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
2. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
3. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
4. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
5. What heroic feats does Maniac perform for Russell and Piper?
6. What do the worms symbolize?
7. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
8. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
9. How do Maniac and Mars Bar find their way back into each other's lives?
10. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
Essay Topic 3
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)