|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maniac stop crossing the Schuylkill?
2. What does the trolley remind Maniac of?
3. How do Maniac and Mars react to each other when they first begin running together?
4. Where does Maniac sleep one night--just once in Chapter 43?
5. How many nights does Maniac stay in the cabin in Valley Forge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
2. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
3. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
4. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
5. What heroic feats does Maniac perform for Russell and Piper?
6. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
7. What do the worms symbolize?
8. How does Maniac manipulate Russell and Piper and how do they manipulate Maniac?
9. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
10. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Maniac and Mars Bar grow? What do each of the boys give to the other that each is lacking? How does this relationship epitomize the good in human nature?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of the book concerning race? How is the theme expressed? What do the characters learn about race by the end of the novel?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)