|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mars Bar come to ask Maniac after the trolley incident?
2. Where does Maniac sleep now that it is almost June?
3. What gift does Maniac bring Piper?
4. What does Maniac say when Amanda tells him that they are going home?
5. Where does Mars Bar take Russell after the trolley incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
2. What part of the day does Maniac enjoy the most and why now that June was on its way?
3. What comparison does Maniac make between Hester and Lester and Russell and Piper in chapter 40?
4. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
5. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
6. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
7. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
8. What contradiction does Maniac experience coming from a reunion at the Beales and going to the McNabs?
9. In what way does Maniac come to know everyone in town?
10. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 2
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)