|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What legendary feat does Mars Bar perform for the Pickwell children?
2. Why won't Mars Bar climb the fence where the buffalo are?
3. What story does Maniac change in telling to the Pickwells?
4. How does Mars Bar know that Maniac was not afraid at the trolley incident?
5. What part of the day does Maniac like best of all now that it is almost June?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
2. How does Maniac manipulate Russell and Piper and how do they manipulate Maniac?
3. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
4. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
5. How does the situation with Mars Bar climax at Piper's birthday party and how does Mars Bar deal with it all?
6. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
7. What are the McNabs building in their house and why?
8. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
9. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
10. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
Essay Topic 2
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)