|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the cabins in Valley Forge?
2. What does Amanda do to wake up Maniac at the zoo?
3. What does Maniac do as a feat with the freight train?
4. Why does Mars Bar hate Maniac at the end of Chapter 38?
5. Where are the two boys in the second cabin going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tale does Mars Bar tell Maniac about Russell?
2. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
3. How does Mars Bar's rescue of Russell help change the prejudices of the town?
4. How is the race between Maniac and Mars Bar uncharacteristic of Maniac?
5. What precious gift does Grayson give to Maniac for Christmas and how does it affect Maniac?
6. What do the worms symbolize?
7. In what way does Maniac come to know everyone in town?
8. What kind of a home do the McNabs live in?
9. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
10. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
Essay Topic 2
The nickname of the Maniac helps turn him into a legend. How so? Use specific examples from the novel. How is this legendary status a drawback for Maniac?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of the book concerning race? How is the theme expressed? What do the characters learn about race by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)