|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Alex unable to find a husband in New Jersey?
(a) All the men she fell for were married.
(b) Alex didn't have the time.
(c) Alex didn't like the office type.
(d) The men in New Jersey never wanted to settle down.
2. In what condition does Alex arrive at Casey's house?
(a) Feeling faint from lack of nourishment.
(b) Soaked with a bloody knee.
(c) Tired from running all the way from her cabin.
(d) Crying because she saw something in the bush.
3. Why does Alex jump into the water in Chapter 1?
(a) To test the temperature.
(b) To celebrate her move.
(c) To save an expensive pair of shoes.
(d) To save her dog.
4. Why does Alex decide not to sleep in the cabin in Chapter 3?
(a) It is very cold.
(b) Alex finds numerous spiders and other insects.
(c) Alex hears weird noises.
(d) The smell of insecticide is too strong.
5. Why does Casey carry a gun?
(a) To appear strong and dangerous.
(b) In case he comes across a bear.
(c) In case he has the inclination to go hunting.
(d) To shoot the raccoons that are always going through his garbage.
6. How does Alex threaten Casey in Chapter 1?
(a) Alex grabs a log and threatens to hit Casey with it.
(b) Alex pulls out a pair of tweezers and threatens to stab Casey with them.
(c) Alex pulls out her cell phone and says she will dial 911.
(d) Alex tells Casey that she will sic the dog on him.
7. What two items does Casey leave for Alex?
(a) A case of water and some dried meat.
(b) A compass and a blanket.
(c) A pillow and a flashlight.
(d) A pair of wool socks and some mittens.
8. What electrical item does Alex tell Casey she does not use?
(a) A coffee maker.
(b) Electric rollers.
(c) A hair dryer.
(d) An electric toothbrush.
9. What does Casey tell Alex to do at his house after he leaves in Chapter 2?
(a) Do the dishes.
(b) Have breakfast and a shower.
(c) Watch TV and read a book.
10. What does Alex take from Casey's home in Chapter 3?
(a) Some old curtains.
(c) A pair of boots.
(d) Some chairs and a table.
11. Where does Alex live before moving to her new place?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) Los Angeles.
12. According to Casey, what walks across the muskeg every morning?
(a) A pack of wolves.
(b) A buck.
(c) A hare.
(d) A moose.
13. How much money does Alex spend on camping gear?
(a) Over a thousand dollars.
(b) Two hundred dollars.
(c) Around five hundred dollars.
(d) Nine hundred dollars.
14. What does Alex not have in the bathroom in Chapter 3?
(a) Fresh clothes.
(c) Toilet paper.
(d) A toothbrush and toothpaste.
15. According to Alex, what historical figure did not have an electric eggbeater?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Joan of Arc.
(c) Jane Austen.
(d) Henry VIII.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alex refuse Casey's invitation to spend the night at his house?
2. What does Alex try to eat in Chapter 3?
3. What is the average winter temperature in Alaska?
4. How does Alex feel after seeing the hardware store?
5. Why does Alex go to Casey's the morning after her first night?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)