|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Baldwin think of Washington?
2. What is Stan doing in a mirror in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Jimmy tell Tony to go when he questions his sexuality?
4. Where does Jimmy take Harland to lunch?
5. Who says to herself, "Somebody loves me, I wonder who..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dutch asked to leave the dance floor of the Chinese restaurant?
2. How do the people at the Louis Expresso Association's Annual Dance react to Gus McNeil's presence?
3. When a shower of petals flutters all over the table at the roadhouse, how does Ellen react?
4. What is Congo's line of work and how is he faring?
5. What does she mean when Rachel Goldweiser says that New York is pleasanter in midsummer than any other time?
6. What does Stan say to himself in the mirror regarding his marriage?
7. What are the virtues of its tobacco extolled by the Socony company?
8. Why does Stan throw the chair through the window of his apartment?
9. Why does Joe Harland tell Jimmy to be careful what he does?
10. When Ellen is having their baby, why does Jimmy think she is going to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Harland is a figure who has lost his significant power. Describe his struggles and how he copes with losing everything. How is he an iconic figure of the time period?
Essay Topic 2
How does George Baldwin make money at the beginning of the book when he is looking for a case? How does his relationship with the McNeils evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Congo's outlook on life and how he progresses throughout the book. Does he retain his sense of humanity? Why or why not?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)