|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the lady with the pink cameo actually give Bud for moving the coal?
2. Who goes with Ed to a saloon for a drink?
3. Who does Ruth tell Jimmy threatened to shoot Elaine?
4. Where does Mother McCree say she lost her husband?
5. Where does Jimmy Herf graduate from college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Ed Thatcher worried as he enters the hospital with flowers for his wife?
2. What does Stan say about success?
3. What does Joe O'Keefe say about loaning a dollar to Joe Harland?
4. How does Stanwood Emery act toward Elaine when he first meets her?
5. What does Bud witness at the corner of West Broadway and Franklin Street while he is eating peanuts?
6. Why does Bud jump off the Brooklyn Bridge?
7. What does Jimmy say to Stan when he asks for liquor in the morning, and where has Stan come in from?
8. What does George Baldwin tell Gus to do if reporters come by?
9. What does Jimmy Herf say to Ruth Prynne about Elaine's relationship with Jojo?
10. Why doesn't Jimmy's mother ever laugh anymore the week before he goes back to school? How does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Advertising is a recurring motif in the book. Write about the role of advertising in New York society at this time, the effect it has on people, and how the author uses it to move the story line.
Essay Topic 2
When Ellen is a child, she and her friend Alice are walking in the park. Describe how Alice feels about going down a path that seems dangerous. How does Eleen react and what does she ultimately do? Is this an example of symbolism, metaphor, foreshadowing, or allegory?
Essay Topic 3
The changing role of women in the 1920's is illustrated in the book. Describe how the female characters represent the different roles of women at the time. Compare and contrast their roles.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)