|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy ask his mother on the way to the dining saloon?
2. What does Morris call Cassie when she talks about getting a bit part in Goldweiser's next show?
3. Where does Hartly want to go for vacation?
4. Who does Bud think is chasing him?
5. Where are John and Elaine going so that she can feel gay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stanwood Emery act toward Elaine when he first meets her?
2. Why does the barkeep at the saloon tell Thatcher that it is no good to save money?
3. What does the man with the cauliflower face complain about when Congo arrives to talk to Emile?
4. Where does Stan think Elaine should live instead of with all the actors?
5. What does Stan say to Jimmy about languages?
6. Why doesn't Jimmy's mother ever laugh anymore the week before he goes back to school? How does he react?
7. What does Jimmy's mother tell him when he burns his tongue on hot mustard?
8. What does Jimmy Herf say to Ruth Prynne about Elaine's relationship with Jojo?
9. What does Bud witness at the corner of West Broadway and Franklin Street while he is eating peanuts?
10. Why does Bud jump off the Brooklyn Bridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stan Emery is a rich kid who can't seem to find his way in life. Describe his lifestyle and how it eventually leads to his demise. Include incidents from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Joe Harland is a figure who has lost his significant power. Describe his struggles and how he copes with losing everything. How is he an iconic figure of the time period?
Essay Topic 3
When Ellen is a child, she and her friend Alice are walking in the park. Describe how Alice feels about going down a path that seems dangerous. How does Eleen react and what does she ultimately do? Is this an example of symbolism, metaphor, foreshadowing, or allegory?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)