|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the lady with the pink cameo say she is going to give Bud for moving a load of coal?
2. What is the name of the man Harry introduces Ellen to backstage?
3. What does Bud do to his father?
4. What does Ed's drinking buddy say of having kids?
5. What turns Bill Ingersoll from an atheist to a Methodist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jimmy walk faster when he passes the Chinese laundry?
2. What does Stan say to Jimmy about languages?
3. Why does Nellie call George "Mr. Baldwin"?
4. What does George Baldwin tell Gus to do if reporters come by?
5. Why can't Jimmy remember how his mother used to look when he is near the cemetery?
6. Why has Bud Korpenning come to New York?
7. How does Nicky Schatz set up the burglary of the apartment where Stan and Elaine are having an affair?
8. What does Jimmy's mother tell him when he burns his tongue on hot mustard?
9. Why does Jimmy call up his Aunt Emily, Riverside 2466?
10. What happens when Ellen runs her hand through her husband John's hair on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Joe O'keefe's role in the book? What is he trying to accomplish? Does he succeed in his goals? How does he affect changes in the realms in which he invests his time?
Essay Topic 2
At one point Ellen says that having children is an admission of defeat. Eventually, after Stan's death, she marries Jimmy Herf and has a child. How does she feel about her life, Jimmy, the child, and Stan's death?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Jimmy Herf lets go of Ellen. How does he feel about losing her? What is her reaction?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)