|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jimmy Herf offer his cousin, Joe Harland, in Chapter 11?
(a) A pen.
(b) Money for lunch.
(c) A ride into town.
(d) A Camel cigarette.
2. According to the "tramp", there is more wickedness in one block in New York City than in a square mile in _______.
3. Who has gotten her throat X-rayed?
(c) Mrs. Sunderland.
(d) Ruth Prynne.
4. Who is the only friend Harland has in the family?
(a) Jimmy's mother, Lily.
(b) Jimmy's Aunt Emily.
(c) His son.
(d) His favorite grandmother.
5. Mr. Snow says actors and actresses are put on the market like what?
(a) Forged art.
(b) Patent medicines.
(c) Milk cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stan, what was Athens built of?
2. Alice Sheffield goes to what store to buy quite a lot of things?
3. What does Anna say about children in Chapter 17?
4. What does Rosie want from the flower stall in the lobby?
5. Who does Gus McNeil tell Burke to set up a drink on him for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dutch asked to leave the dance floor of the Chinese restaurant?
2. When Ellen is having their baby, why does Jimmy think she is going to die?
3. How do the people at the Louis Expresso Association's Annual Dance react to Gus McNeil's presence?
4. What does she mean when Rachel Goldweiser says that New York is pleasanter in midsummer than any other time?
5. What doe Phil think will happen if he can sell his tiles to architects?
6. What is the greatest sight in the world according to Jimmy Herf as he and his family return from abroad?
7. What does Congo say of Jimmy's life experience?
8. What does Dick Snow say about Ellen's divorce?
9. What does Ellen say to George when he tells her Cecily has consented to a divorce?
10. What does Jimmy say gives him goose flesh as he talks to Tony Hunter about stories in the paper?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)