|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jimmy go while Ellie is having her baby?
(a) To get a drink.
(b) Out to eat.
(c) The Flea Circus.
(d) To a burlesque show.
2. What song is playing on the grind organ as Pearline passes?
(a) Oh, Tannenbaum.
(b) Dog Day Afternoon.
(c) Petite Waltz.
(d) Merry Widow Waltz.
3. After a night of dancing in Chapter 14, how does Anna accidentally wake her aunt up?
(a) She trips on a rug and falls to the floor.
(b) She giggles loudly when her boyfriend kisses her goodnight.
(c) She starts humming too loudly.
(d) She bumps into the kitchen table.
4. Stan used to say to Ellen, "No time to get tight like______".
(a) A tightrope.
5. What does George Baldwin think of Washington?
(a) It is the best place to get pie.
(b) It is a greasy backwater.
(c) It is the center of sin.
(d) It is the key to his political career.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls where Anna works elbow each other to turn in?
2. What is Mrs. Densch afraid she is going to look like if she doesn't go to the party in her new dress?
3. George Baldwin sends two dozen of what type of rose to Ellen?
4. What does Phil want to sell?
5. Alice Sheffield goes to what store to buy quite a lot of things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stan say to himself in the mirror regarding his marriage?
2. Why is Dutch asked to leave the dance floor of the Chinese restaurant?
3. When a shower of petals flutters all over the table at the roadhouse, how does Ellen react?
4. What does she mean when Rachel Goldweiser says that New York is pleasanter in midsummer than any other time?
5. What does Congo say of Jimmy's life experience?
6. What doe Phil think will happen if he can sell his tiles to architects?
7. What does Anna's mother say when she scolds her for her line of work?
8. What does Jimmy say about his job at the Times?
9. What is Congo's line of work and how is he faring?
10. What are the virtues of its tobacco extolled by the Socony company?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)