|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phil want to sell?
(a) His blood.
(c) Brooklyn Bridge rights.
(d) Architectural tiles.
2. How does Jimmy see Ellen at the restaurant in Gare de Lyon?
(a) As a warm rose with thorns.
(b) As a towering skyscraper.
(c) As a porcelain figure under bellglass.
(d) As a typical mother.
3. What does George Baldwin think of Washington?
(a) It is the key to his political career.
(b) It is the center of sin.
(c) It is the best place to get pie.
(d) It is a greasy backwater.
4. Harland asks Jimmy if he doesn't mind being seen with a ___________ like him.
(b) Cat chaser.
5. Where does Jimmy go while Ellie is having her baby?
(a) To a burlesque show.
(b) Out to eat.
(c) To get a drink.
(d) The Flea Circus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has gotten her throat X-rayed?
2. What are the women who followed the armies in the French Revolution called (a reference to Ellen's feelings for Stan)?
3. Where does Jimmy want to go when he sees the French boat in the harbor?
4. Who does Nevada end up marrying?
5. How does Congo lose his leg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George declare his feelings for Elaine at dinner?
2. How do the people at the Louis Expresso Association's Annual Dance react to Gus McNeil's presence?
3. What does she mean when Rachel Goldweiser says that New York is pleasanter in midsummer than any other time?
4. What does Jimmy say gives him goose flesh as he talks to Tony Hunter about stories in the paper?
5. How does Pearline normally feel about fires?
6. Who does Maisie's boyfriend Jack say he has worked for?
7. When a shower of petals flutters all over the table at the roadhouse, how does Ellen react?
8. What is the greatest sight in the world according to Jimmy Herf as he and his family return from abroad?
9. What does Congo say of Jimmy's life experience?
10. What does Anna's mother say when she scolds her for her line of work?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)