Chapter 1, Ferryslip
• Bud Korpenning has just moved from upstate New York to New York City and is looking for a job.
• Ed Thatcher visits the hospital where his wife Susie is delivering their first child, a girl named Ellen.
• Ed meets a man with a heavy German accent named Zucher on his way down the hospital stairs.
• The two of them go out for drinks to celebrate their newborn children.
• Zucher leaves the bar, sticking Ed with the bill.
• An unidentified bearded man, possibly Jewish, walks into a drugstore and buys a safety razor.
• He returns to his home and shaves.
• When his wife and children enter, they are highly surprised with the man's new look
Chapter 2, Metropolis
• Ed makes junior partner in his firm and starts building a savings account for Ellen.
• Ed sees that a fire has broken out in a nearby building.
This section contains 2,279 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)