|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once again, what does the author go to great lengths to establish?
2. What does she reveal about Raymond?
3. When does Marco enter the box?
4. What is the result of Raymond's column?
5. How must Marco appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco have Rosie do?
2. What do Rosie and Marco celebrate?
3. What gives a hint to the identity of a character previously mentioned?
4. What has happened to Marco?
5. What is Raymond's costume? What does he think about it?
6. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
7. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
8. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
9. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
10. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Iselin becomes an analogue for Joseph McCarthy.
Part 1) Who is Joseph McCarthy? How is Iselin similar to this man?
Part 2) Do you believe the author purposely create Iselin based on Joseph McCarthy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would a reader need to know who Joseph McCarthy was to better understand Iselin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond Shaw receives the Medal of Honor.
Part 1) What is this? Why did he receive it? Did he earn it? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does his receiving this medal help the Communists?
Part 3) Could someone earn it today who does not deserve it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)