|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Shaw been having?
2. What is the plan for Raymond?
3. In what does Chunjin insist on driving his boss?
4. Of what should the reader have a deep sense?
5. With Jocie's imminent homecoming, Raymond now has what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Rosie and Marco celebrate?
2. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
3. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
4. What is Raymond's costume? What does he think about it?
5. What is the assassination plot arranged for Raymond?
6. How does the book end?
7. How does the scene begin, prior to the shooting?
8. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
9. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
10. What does Jocie say about Raymond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
Essay Topic 3
Ben Marco is Raymond's good friend.
Part 1) Why might Marco be friends with him?
Part 2) What does Marco realize about Raymond? Does he try to help Raymond? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Marco was acting as Raymond's friend at the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)