|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
2. For what does Raymond volunteer?
3. As she is speaking, what does Raymond's mother realize about him?
4. What does Raymond tell his friend that he believes?
5. What is the result of Raymond's column?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shaw feel about what he has heard from Marco and the G-men?
2. Why do these two seem happy?
3. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
4. How does Senator Jordan upset Shaw's mother?
5. How does Jocie interfere with Raymond's programming?
6. What is Raymond's costume? What does he think about it?
7. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
8. How does the book end?
9. What takes place during the first days of the ceremonies?
10. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
These two themes are connected. What is the correlation between this theme and the theme of man as machine?
Part 1) What are the two central themes? How are they thematic?
Part 2) How are these two themes connected?
Part 3) What is the purpose of the connection?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond is odd.
Part 1) How do you know this? How is he odd? What role does his personality play in his abilities as an assassin?
Part 2) How has his upbringing affected his personality?
Part 3) How does his personality change throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Iselin becomes an analogue for Joseph McCarthy.
Part 1) Who is Joseph McCarthy? How is Iselin similar to this man?
Part 2) Do you believe the author purposely create Iselin based on Joseph McCarthy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would a reader need to know who Joseph McCarthy was to better understand Iselin? Why or why not?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)