|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
2. Soon, what does Raymond's mother scheme to announce?
3. Meanwhile, what is Raymond's American field handler doing?
4. Meanwhile, at the party, what does Raymond's mother do regarding Raymond?
5. Why does Raymond's mother drug herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene begin, prior to the shooting?
2. What does Jocie say about Raymond?
3. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
4. How does Senator Jordan upset Shaw's mother?
5. How is Shaw's assassin mind-set triggered?
6. Why do these two seem happy?
7. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
8. To where is the reader taken?
9. How does the book end?
10. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used frequently in this novel.
Part 1) Describe two examples of symbolism. What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 2) How does this symbolism enhance the story for the reader?
Part 3) Would the characters and events of the story be as engaging and understood without this symbolism?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)