|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Raymond volunteer?
2. When did Raymond's mother discover her son was the assassin?
3. Chunjin drives him to the Jordan house and gives Shaw what?
4. When did this take place?
5. Meanwhile, what is Raymond's American field handler doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do these two seem happy?
2. How does Jocie interfere with Raymond's programming?
3. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
4. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
5. How does the scene begin, prior to the shooting?
6. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
7. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
8. How does the book end?
9. What do Rosie and Marco celebrate?
10. To where is the reader taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of tension in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cause of this tension.
Part 2) How does this tension affect the characters in the story, as well as the reader?
Part 3) How might this story and tension reflect the lives of Americans at this time?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)