|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she reveal about Raymond?
2. What does Senator Jordan further state?
3. Meanwhile, what does Senator Jordan express for his colleague Johnny Iselin?
4. Where is the reader then taken?
5. What can this couple do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives a hint to the identity of a character previously mentioned?
2. How does Shaw feel about what he has heard from Marco and the G-men?
3. What is Raymond's costume? What does he think about it?
4. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
5. How does Senator Jordan upset Shaw's mother?
6. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
7. What does Marco have Rosie do?
8. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
9. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
10. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaw is being investigated.
Part 1) Why is he investigated? Who investigates him? How does Shaw feel about this investigation? Why?
Part 2) How does this investigation affect his life? How does it affect the Communists who have programmed him? Why?
Part 3) How does this investigation help or hurt Shaw? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Iselin becomes an analogue for Joseph McCarthy.
Part 1) Who is Joseph McCarthy? How is Iselin similar to this man?
Part 2) Do you believe the author purposely create Iselin based on Joseph McCarthy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would a reader need to know who Joseph McCarthy was to better understand Iselin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)