|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the midst of what do they celebrate?
2. Meanwhile, at the party, what does Raymond's mother do regarding Raymond?
3. What do the Soviets do when word of the wedding reaches them?
4. How does Raymond's mother get him to agree to meet her for lunch the next day?
5. Where is the reader then taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Marco?
2. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
3. How is a meeting arranged between Marco and Raymond?
4. What does Marco have Rosie do?
5. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
6. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
7. Why do these two seem happy?
8. To where is the reader taken?
9. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
10. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond is odd.
Part 1) How do you know this? How is he odd? What role does his personality play in his abilities as an assassin?
Part 2) How has his upbringing affected his personality?
Part 3) How does his personality change throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
Essay Topic 3
Shaw's mother is a dominating character.
Part 1) How is she a dominating character? Why is she so controlling? How does she affect the lives of those around her?
Part 2) When does she lose some of this control? Why? What does this reveal about her?
Part 3) How does her personality play into the hands of the Communists?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)