|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raymond's mother storm out of her brother's home in Italy?
2. What does the colonel reveal that his investigators have learned about Raymond?
3. What do the Soviets do when word of the wedding reaches them?
4. From where does Shaw phone Marco?
5. What does Raymond tell his friend that he believes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raymond's mother sleep with her son?
2. How does the book end?
3. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
4. How does Jocie interfere with Raymond's programming?
5. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
6. What happens when it is discovered that Jocie and Raymond have left the party?
7. How does Senator Jordan upset Shaw's mother?
8. What is the assassination plot arranged for Raymond?
9. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
10. What has taken place between Raymond and Jocie's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond Shaw receives the Medal of Honor.
Part 1) What is this? Why did he receive it? Did he earn it? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does his receiving this medal help the Communists?
Part 3) Could someone earn it today who does not deserve it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond becomes an assassin.
Part 1) How does this happen? Why does this happen?
Part 2) What is the connection between this and the theme of man as machine?
Part 3) How does he learn he is an assassin? How does he react to this? Why does he react this way?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)