|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raymond's column report?
2. What surface emotions does Shaw reveal?
3. Does Shaw believe Marco?
4. What does Raymond begin to remember?
5. For what does Raymond volunteer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
2. What does Jocie say about Raymond?
3. Why do these two seem happy?
4. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
5. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
6. How does Shaw feel about what he has heard from Marco and the G-men?
7. What gives a hint to the identity of a character previously mentioned?
8. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
9. How does the scene begin, prior to the shooting?
10. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond becomes an assassin.
Part 1) How does this happen? Why does this happen?
Part 2) What is the connection between this and the theme of man as machine?
Part 3) How does he learn he is an assassin? How does he react to this? Why does he react this way?
Essay Topic 2
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
Essay Topic 3
Raymond is in love with Jocie.
Part 1) Who is Jocie? How did they meet? How did he fall in love with her?
Part 2) How does their earlier relationship assist Marco? What does this earlier relationship reveal about the changes in Raymond?
Part 3) What is the correlation between Raymond's relationship with Jocie and the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)