|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jordan is awake, and Raymond chats with him dully. Finally, what does Jordan notice?
2. What does she reveal about Raymond?
3. What does Raymond tell his friend that he believes?
4. What does Marco offer to help his friend write?
5. As the presidential candidate reaches the point in his speech that will cue the gunshots, the FBI agents realize what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
2. Why does Raymond's mother sleep with her son?
3. What do Rosie and Marco celebrate?
4. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
5. How is a meeting arranged between Marco and Raymond?
6. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
7. How is Shaw's assassin mind-set triggered?
8. What has happened to Marco?
9. To where is the reader taken?
10. What happens when it is discovered that Jocie and Raymond have left the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Shaw is being investigated.
Part 1) Why is he investigated? Who investigates him? How does Shaw feel about this investigation? Why?
Part 2) How does this investigation affect his life? How does it affect the Communists who have programmed him? Why?
Part 3) How does this investigation help or hurt Shaw? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Iselin becomes an analogue for Joseph McCarthy.
Part 1) Who is Joseph McCarthy? How is Iselin similar to this man?
Part 2) Do you believe the author purposely create Iselin based on Joseph McCarthy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would a reader need to know who Joseph McCarthy was to better understand Iselin? Why or why not?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)