|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How must Marco appear?
2. What had Mrs. Iselin ordered the Chinese to create?
3. How does Raymond respond when Marco calls him?
4. What does Raymond's mother ask Jocie's father?
5. Through further laboratory testing, what do intelligence agencies sort out as Raymond's trigger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jocie interfere with Raymond's programming?
2. What gives a hint to the identity of a character previously mentioned?
3. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
4. What is the assassination plot arranged for Raymond?
5. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
6. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
7. What takes place at their rendezvous?
8. How does the book end?
9. How does Raymond react when his mother schemes to announce Jocie's return to the United States through the Society pages of Raymond's own paper, without informing her son of the development? How does she respond to him?
10. What does Mrs. Iselin do on her European trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Communism is the cause of much of the action in this story.
Part 1) What is Communism? How did many Americans feel about Communists, based on the information in the story?
Part 2) How does Communism affect the lives of the main characters?
Part 3) How does the author feel about Communism, based on this story?
Essay Topic 2
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond is odd.
Part 1) How do you know this? How is he odd? What role does his personality play in his abilities as an assassin?
Part 2) How has his upbringing affected his personality?
Part 3) How does his personality change throughout the story? Why?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)