|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens while Raymond's mother is gone?
2. Of what is there a history?
3. Why does Mrs. Iselin invite Raymond into the library?
4. Chunjin drives him to the Jordan house and gives Shaw what?
5. What does Raymond begin playing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at their rendezvous?
2. What do Rosie and Marco celebrate?
3. What does Eleanor think about Raymond being an assassin?
4. What gives a hint to the identity of a character previously mentioned?
5. What does Marco have Rosie do?
6. How does Shaw feel about what he has heard from Marco and the G-men?
7. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
8. What takes place during the first days of the ceremonies?
9. To where is the reader taken?
10. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used frequently in this novel.
Part 1) Describe two examples of symbolism. What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 2) How does this symbolism enhance the story for the reader?
Part 3) Would the characters and events of the story be as engaging and understood without this symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)