|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Raymond Shaw the medal?
2. What does Raymond's mother like about Iselin?
3. Why does Raymond's mother have no regrets?
4. What does Raymond reveal?
5. What does Raymond do to O'Neill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
2. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
3. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
4. How does Marco meet Rosie?
5. How does the chapter begin?
6. What does Raymond think about his boss?
7. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
8. Why does Chunjin arrive at Shaw's office?
9. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
10. What does Lieutenant General Nils Jorgenson do when Iselin brings Marco's plan to his attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
Essay Topic 2
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 3
Ben Marco is Raymond's good friend.
Part 1) Why might Marco be friends with him?
Part 2) What does Marco realize about Raymond? Does he try to help Raymond? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Marco was acting as Raymond's friend at the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)