|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Marco sits by a beautiful woman on a train?
2. Why has a local reporter come by to interview Shaw?
3. What does Jocelyn do when Raymond has been bitten by a snake?
4. Shaw does not recognize this person, but after introductions recalls what about this person?
5. Who greets Shaw at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
2. How does Iselin's story change?
3. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
4. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
5. What does Raymond think about his boss?
6. What does Raymond say when Marco tells him about his dreams?
7. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
8. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
9. What happens to Marco one night?
10. When and how does Raymond first meet Jocelyn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used frequently in this novel.
Part 1) Describe two examples of symbolism. What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 2) How does this symbolism enhance the story for the reader?
Part 3) Would the characters and events of the story be as engaging and understood without this symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 3
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)