|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Iselin's law practices?
2. How old is Raymond when he meets Jocelyn Jordan?
3. What does this proclamation do to Iselin?
4. While Marco traveled to New York to see Raymond, where was Shaw?
5. If Marco signs paperwork agreeing not to pursue investigation, what will happen to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
2. When and how does Raymond first meet Jocelyn?
3. Describe the sanitarium.
4. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
5. What will Raymond Shaw be receiving?
6. What does Marco tell Rosie?
7. How does Marco meet Rosie?
8. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
9. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
10. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used frequently in this book.
Part 1) Give two examples. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does the foreshadowing in this book enhance the story for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Rosie is Marco's girlfriend.
Part 1) How do they meet? How does he act in front of her? How does she react? Why?
Part 2) Can Rosie be trusted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this relationship connected to the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)