|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing out of Raymond's mouth after his own name?
2. Why does the doctor say Raymond would be the perfect assassin?
3. Where does Shaw's mother shove Senator Johnny Iselin, Raymond's hated stepfather, for a photo op?
4. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
5. What enters the Iselin home once they are lawfully wed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at their rendezvous?
2. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
3. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
4. Why do others not like Iselin?
5. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
6. How does the chapter begin?
7. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
8. What happens to Marco one night?
9. What does Raymond say when Marco tells him about his dreams?
10. What does Marco have Rosie do?
Essay Topic 1
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of tension in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cause of this tension.
Part 2) How does this tension affect the characters in the story, as well as the reader?
Part 3) How might this story and tension reflect the lives of Americans at this time?
Essay Topic 3
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)