|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
2. Who wins the fight between Chunjin and Major Marco?
3. The next day, what does the FBI do to Marco?
4. Why does Raymond's mother want to bring him to Europe?
5. What does this proclamation do to Iselin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marco meet Rosie?
2. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
3. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
4. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
5. How do Marco and Chunjin get into a fight?
6. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
7. What is learned about Eleanor in this flashback? How does Raymond feel about this?
8. How does the chapter begin?
9. What happens to Marco one night?
10. When and how does Raymond first meet Jocelyn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Communism is the cause of much of the action in this story.
Part 1) What is Communism? How did many Americans feel about Communists, based on the information in the story?
Part 2) How does Communism affect the lives of the main characters?
Part 3) How does the author feel about Communism, based on this story?
Essay Topic 3
Rosie is Marco's girlfriend.
Part 1) How do they meet? How does he act in front of her? How does she react? Why?
Part 2) Can Rosie be trusted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this relationship connected to the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)