|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the fight between Chunjin and Major Marco?
2. One morning, toward the end of his stay, Raymond awakens to see his mother sitting beside him. How does she appear?
3. One day, who arrives at Shaw's office at the newspaper and asks him for a job?
4. Why can Rosie and Marco now be together?
5. What does his mother do when Raymond tells her the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
2. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
3. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
4. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
5. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
6. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
7. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
8. What happens to Marco one night?
9. What does Jorgenson do after this meeting with Marco?
10. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used frequently in this book.
Part 1) Give two examples. What do these examples foreshadow?
Part 2) What is the purpose of foreshadowing?
Part 3) How does the foreshadowing in this book enhance the story for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond is in love with Jocie.
Part 1) Who is Jocie? How did they meet? How did he fall in love with her?
Part 2) How does their earlier relationship assist Marco? What does this earlier relationship reveal about the changes in Raymond?
Part 3) What is the correlation between Raymond's relationship with Jocie and the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)