|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
2. Does Raymond want to hire this person?
3. What does Marco do upon returning from Korea?
4. What does Raymond's mother like about Iselin?
5. What does Iselin become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
2. What does Senator John Iselin proclaim?
3. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
4. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
5. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
6. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
7. What does Raymond think about his boss?
8. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
9. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
10. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond is odd.
Part 1) How do you know this? How is he odd? What role does his personality play in his abilities as an assassin?
Part 2) How has his upbringing affected his personality?
Part 3) How does his personality change throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 3
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)