|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raymond reveal?
2. What does he state will happen if the major continues in his attempt at the court-martial?
3. What is the American patrol is quickly conditioned to believe?
4. When Shaw returns to work, from whom does he receive a call, looking for Major Marco?
5. What does Raymond's mother do for Iselin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lieutenant General Nils Jorgenson do when Iselin brings Marco's plan to his attention?
2. What does Marco tell Rosie?
3. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
4. What does Raymond say when Marco tells him about his dreams?
5. Describe the sanitarium.
6. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
7. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
8. What does Senator John Iselin proclaim?
9. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
10. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Raymond is in love with Jocie.
Part 1) Who is Jocie? How did they meet? How did he fall in love with her?
Part 2) How does their earlier relationship assist Marco? What does this earlier relationship reveal about the changes in Raymond?
Part 3) What is the correlation between Raymond's relationship with Jocie and the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)