|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raymond like his boss?
2. What favor does Shaw mention to his mother?
3. How are Iselin's law practices?
4. What is Marco trying to remember?
5. When does Eleanor Shaw divorce Raymond's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lieutenant General Nils Jorgenson do when Iselin brings Marco's plan to his attention?
2. What is learned about Eleanor in this flashback? How does Raymond feel about this?
3. What does Senator John Iselin proclaim?
4. How does Iselin's story change?
5. What does Jorgenson do after this meeting with Marco?
6. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
7. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
8. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
9. When and how does Raymond first meet Jocelyn?
10. What does Marco tell Rosie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond is in love with Jocie.
Part 1) Who is Jocie? How did they meet? How did he fall in love with her?
Part 2) How does their earlier relationship assist Marco? What does this earlier relationship reveal about the changes in Raymond?
Part 3) What is the correlation between Raymond's relationship with Jocie and the theme of the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of tension in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cause of this tension.
Part 2) How does this tension affect the characters in the story, as well as the reader?
Part 3) How might this story and tension reflect the lives of Americans at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Shaw's mother is a dominating character.
Part 1) How is she a dominating character? Why is she so controlling? How does she affect the lives of those around her?
Part 2) When does she lose some of this control? Why? What does this reveal about her?
Part 3) How does her personality play into the hands of the Communists?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)