|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Marco gains the opportunity to submit?
2. What favor does Shaw mention to his mother?
3. What compels Marco to give up women?
4. What does Shaw think of Marco using words such as "brainwashing?"
5. How does Raymond commit this killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
2. Why do others not like Iselin?
3. What will Raymond Shaw be receiving?
4. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
5. Describe the sanitarium.
6. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
7. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
8. How does Iselin's story change?
9. What does Jorgenson do after this meeting with Marco?
10. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaw is being investigated.
Part 1) Why is he investigated? Who investigates him? How does Shaw feel about this investigation? Why?
Part 2) How does this investigation affect his life? How does it affect the Communists who have programmed him? Why?
Part 3) How does this investigation help or hurt Shaw? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ben Marco is Raymond's good friend.
Part 1) Why might Marco be friends with him?
Part 2) What does Marco realize about Raymond? Does he try to help Raymond? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Marco was acting as Raymond's friend at the end of the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of tension in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cause of this tension.
Part 2) How does this tension affect the characters in the story, as well as the reader?
Part 3) How might this story and tension reflect the lives of Americans at this time?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)