|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Raymond Shaw the medal?
2. Who greets Shaw at the airport?
3. What is the first thing out of Raymond's mouth after his own name?
4. Who is this beautiful woman?
5. What has the FBI come to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosie want to help Marco?
2. Describe the sanitarium.
3. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
4. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
5. Why does Chunjin arrive at Shaw's office?
6. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
7. What happens to Marco one night?
8. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
9. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
10. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of tension in this story.
Part 1) Describe the cause of this tension.
Part 2) How does this tension affect the characters in the story, as well as the reader?
Part 3) How might this story and tension reflect the lives of Americans at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond is in love with Jocie.
Part 1) Who is Jocie? How did they meet? How did he fall in love with her?
Part 2) How does their earlier relationship assist Marco? What does this earlier relationship reveal about the changes in Raymond?
Part 3) What is the correlation between Raymond's relationship with Jocie and the theme of the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)