|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this man then give Marco?
2. From where has Raymond Shaw recently returned?
3. What enters the Iselin home once they are lawfully wed?
4. What does Raymond reveal?
5. What does this proclamation do to Iselin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
2. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
3. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
4. Describe the sanitarium.
5. How does Marco meet Rosie?
6. How does the chapter begin?
7. How does Rosie want to help Marco?
8. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
9. What happens to Marco one night?
10. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used frequently in this novel.
Part 1) Describe two examples of symbolism. What is the purpose of this symbolism?
Part 2) How does this symbolism enhance the story for the reader?
Part 3) Would the characters and events of the story be as engaging and understood without this symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)