|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco do when he is ordered to sign the document?
2. One day, who arrives at Shaw's office at the newspaper and asks him for a job?
3. What does Iselin become?
4. How does Raymond feel about the events surrounding the divorce?
5. What does Raymond's mother like about Iselin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the assassination plot arranged for Raymond?
2. How do Marco and Chunjin get into a fight?
3. What does Raymond do to Jocie?
4. Describe the sanitarium.
5. What takes place at their rendezvous?
6. How does Shaw feel about what he has heard from Marco and the G-men?
7. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
8. Why do others not like Iselin?
9. How does Senator Jordan upset Shaw's mother?
10. Why does Raymond's mother sleep with her son?
Essay Topic 1
Raymond Shaw receives the Medal of Honor.
Part 1) What is this? Why did he receive it? Did he earn it? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does his receiving this medal help the Communists?
Part 3) Could someone earn it today who does not deserve it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rosie is Marco's girlfriend.
Part 1) How do they meet? How does he act in front of her? How does she react? Why?
Part 2) Can Rosie be trusted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this relationship connected to the theme of the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 3
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
This section contains 1,891 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)