|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raymond's mother want to bring him to Europe?
2. Why does Raymond's mother have no regrets?
3. Who is Amjac?
4. What does O'Neil insist on throwing?
5. How does Raymond's mother react when he tells her the full story of the major's psychological problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
2. Describe the sanitarium.
3. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
4. What does Raymond think about his boss?
5. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
6. Why do others not like Iselin?
7. How do Marco and Chunjin get into a fight?
8. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
9. How does Rosie want to help Marco?
10. What does Marco tell Rosie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Communism is the cause of much of the action in this story.
Part 1) What is Communism? How did many Americans feel about Communists, based on the information in the story?
Part 2) How does Communism affect the lives of the main characters?
Part 3) How does the author feel about Communism, based on this story?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Rosie is Marco's girlfriend.
Part 1) How do they meet? How does he act in front of her? How does she react? Why?
Part 2) Can Rosie be trusted? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this relationship connected to the theme of the love of a good woman?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)