|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raymond reveal?
2. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
3. What happens when Marco sits by a beautiful woman on a train?
4. Where does Raymond have lunch with his mother?
5. Why has a local reporter come by to interview Shaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
2. What will Raymond Shaw be receiving?
3. How does the chapter begin?
4. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
5. What does Marco tell Rosie?
6. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
7. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
8. What does Raymond think about his boss?
9. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
10. What is learned about Eleanor in this flashback? How does Raymond feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 2
Shaw's mother is a dominating character.
Part 1) How is she a dominating character? Why is she so controlling? How does she affect the lives of those around her?
Part 2) When does she lose some of this control? Why? What does this reveal about her?
Part 3) How does her personality play into the hands of the Communists?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond Shaw receives the Medal of Honor.
Part 1) What is this? Why did he receive it? Did he earn it? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does his receiving this medal help the Communists?
Part 3) Could someone earn it today who does not deserve it? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)