|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Raymond want to hire this person?
2. When Shaw returns to work, from whom does he receive a call, looking for Major Marco?
3. What has Shaw's mother, the wife of influential senator Johnny Iselin, arranged?
4. Who gives Raymond Shaw the medal?
5. What does Raymond do to O'Neill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
2. What is learned about Eleanor in this flashback? How does Raymond feel about this?
3. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
4. What does this next flashback reveal about Shaw's mother?
5. What does Marco tell Rosie?
6. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
7. When and how does Raymond first meet Jocelyn?
8. What will Raymond Shaw be receiving?
9. Why do others not like Iselin?
10. How do Marco and Chunjin get into a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Josie's husband has died.
Part 1) How might he have died? How do you know this?
Part 2) What purpose does his death serve for the characters in the story?
Part 3) What is the connection between his death and the theme about the love of a good woman?
Essay Topic 2
A wide range of emotions are expressed in this story.
Part 1) Give four examples of emotions and when they are expressed.
Part 2) What is the purpose of this spectrum of emotions?
Part 3) How do these emotions reflect the feelings of those living at this time in history? How might it affect readers differently today? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Raymond has a strange relationship with his mother.
Part 1) Describe their relationship. How do the flashbacks assist you in understanding their relationship?
Part 2) Has their relationship always been strange? Why or why not?
Part 3) Based on their relationship, how might Raymond have felt about killing his mother, if he had come out of the trance instead of dying?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)