|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
2. What is the cover story for Raymond's visit?
3. How does Iselin solidify his power in the senate?
4. What does his mother do when Raymond tells her the story?
5. Why does Raymond's mother want to bring him to Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Raymond end up taking a trip to Europe with his mother?
2. What will Raymond Shaw be receiving?
3. What happens when the President gives Shaw his medal?
4. How does Marco meet Rosie?
5. Why is Raymond taken to this sanitarium?
6. What does Senator John Iselin proclaim?
7. What does Raymond do when O'Neil insists on throwing a welcome dinner for the Medal of Honor veteran?
8. What happens to Marco one night?
9. What is known about Shaw from the beginning of this flashback?
10. What does Lieutenant General Nils Jorgenson do when Iselin brings Marco's plan to his attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaw is being investigated.
Part 1) Why is he investigated? Who investigates him? How does Shaw feel about this investigation? Why?
Part 2) How does this investigation affect his life? How does it affect the Communists who have programmed him? Why?
Part 3) How does this investigation help or hurt Shaw? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Communism is the cause of much of the action in this story.
Part 1) What is Communism? How did many Americans feel about Communists, based on the information in the story?
Part 2) How does Communism affect the lives of the main characters?
Part 3) How does the author feel about Communism, based on this story?
Essay Topic 3
Ben Marco is Raymond's good friend.
Part 1) Why might Marco be friends with him?
Part 2) What does Marco realize about Raymond? Does he try to help Raymond? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe that Marco was acting as Raymond's friend at the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)