|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Shaw's mother, the wife of influential senator Johnny Iselin, arranged?
2. How does Iselin solidify his power in the senate?
3. What compels Marco to give up women?
4. What does Iselin become?
5. What type of conditioning does Dr. Yen Lo and his crew of neuropsychiatrists use to create the perfect assassin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place when Marco and the G-men meet Raymond in Hungarian Charlie's?
2. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
3. To where is the reader taken?
4. How is Shaw's assassin mind-set triggered?
5. How does Marco meet Rosie?
6. What does Marco tell Rosie?
7. What does Raymond tell his mother about Marco? How does she react?
8. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
9. What does Raymond's mother do when she finds out about her son's relationship with Jocie?
10. What does Jocie say about Raymond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raymond is odd.
Part 1) How do you know this? How is he odd? What role does his personality play in his abilities as an assassin?
Part 2) How has his upbringing affected his personality?
Part 3) How does his personality change throughout the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Several flashbacks take place.
Part 1) Describe these flashbacks. What purpose do they serve?
Part 2) How does the reader learn about the various characters from these flashbacks?
Part 3) Do these flashbacks enhance the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Shaw's mother is a dominating character.
Part 1) How is she a dominating character? Why is she so controlling? How does she affect the lives of those around her?
Part 2) When does she lose some of this control? Why? What does this reveal about her?
Part 3) How does her personality play into the hands of the Communists?
This section contains 2,062 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)