Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing out of Raymond's mouth after his own name?
2. Why does the doctor say Raymond would be the perfect assassin?
3. Where does Shaw's mother shove Senator Johnny Iselin, Raymond's hated stepfather, for a photo op?
4. In a flashback to the Korean War, what are Ed Mavole and Bobby Lembeck doing?
5. What enters the Iselin home once they are lawfully wed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at their rendezvous?
2. Of what does Raymond's column consist?
3. What do Raymond and Jocie do?
4. Why do others not like Iselin?
5. How does Raymond's life change when Marco moves in?
6. How does the chapter begin?
7. What does Raymond do to Jocie's father?
8. What happens to Marco one night?
9. What does Raymond say when Marco tells him about his dreams?
10. What does Marco have Rosie do?
Essay Topic 1
Raymond becomes an assassin.
Part 1) How does this happen? Why does this happen?
Part 2) What is the connection between this and the theme of man as machine?
Part 3) How does he learn he is an assassin? How does he react to this? Why does he react this way?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes is the idea of man as machine
Part 1) How is man a machine in this story?
Part 2) What are the author's thoughts about this theme, based on this novel?
Part 3) How does this theme relate to real life and life today? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Another theme has to do with the love of a good woman.
Part 1) Who are the women in this story? How are they significant?
Part 2) How do these women influence their men? Why are they so influential?
Part 3) Why does the author use this as a theme? Use the text as support.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)