|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raymond work?
2. How does Shaw's mother position herself and her husband, when Shaw is presented the Medal of Honor?
3. What happens when Marco sits by a beautiful woman on a train?
4. What does Jocelyn do when Raymond has been bitten by a snake?
5. What is the first thing out of Raymond's mouth after his own name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco tell Rosie?
2. Why does Chunjin arrive at Shaw's office?
3. Why does Shaw end up in Washington early?
4. Why do others not like Iselin?
5. What does Jorgenson do after this meeting with Marco?
6. What is learned about Eleanor in this flashback? How does Raymond feel about this?
7. What happens to Marco one night?
8. What happens to the American soldiers during this mission?
9. What does Raymond say when Marco tells him about his dreams?
10. What happens between Marco and Shaw, regarding Marco's fight with Chunjin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shaw is being investigated.
Part 1) Why is he investigated? Who investigates him? How does Shaw feel about this investigation? Why?
Part 2) How does this investigation affect his life? How does it affect the Communists who have programmed him? Why?
Part 3) How does this investigation help or hurt Shaw? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Raymond becomes an assassin.
Part 1) How does this happen? Why does this happen?
Part 2) What is the connection between this and the theme of man as machine?
Part 3) How does he learn he is an assassin? How does he react to this? Why does he react this way?
Essay Topic 3
Iselin becomes an analogue for Joseph McCarthy.
Part 1) Who is Joseph McCarthy? How is Iselin similar to this man?
Part 2) Do you believe the author purposely create Iselin based on Joseph McCarthy? Why or why not?
Part 3) Would a reader need to know who Joseph McCarthy was to better understand Iselin? Why or why not?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)