|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day, who arrives at Shaw's office at the newspaper and asks him for a job?
2. What does he state will happen if the major continues in his attempt at the court-martial?
(a) He will be held incommunicado and denied all rights.
(b) He will be murdered.
(c) He will be imprisoned.
(d) He will be exiled.
3. What happens when Marco sits by a beautiful woman on a train?
(a) He begins to yell at her.
(b) He stares at her.
(c) He gets up and switches seats.
(d) He begins to weep uncontrollably.
4. Why does Raymond suggest that Marco force an investigation by initiating his own court-martial and charging himself with falsifying the report that led to Shaw's medal?
(a) Marco has been untrustworthy.
(b) Raymond is afraid he will get into trouble.
(c) Raymond wants Marco to get into trouble.
(d) This is the only way to make sure their problem cannot be ignored.
5. What does Shaw think of Marco using words such as "brainwashing?"
(a) He feels guilty.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He does not approve.
(d) He becomes angry.
6. Who wins the fight between Chunjin and Major Marco?
(a) Major Marco.
(c) They tie.
(d) No one.
7. At one point, what does Mrs. Iselin tell her husband to say?
(a) There is one Communist at the highest level of the DoD.
(b) He is a Communist.
(c) He trusts Communism.
(d) His wife is a Communist.
8. What does Raymond's mother like about Iselin?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is wealthier than her first husband.
(c) He is more handsome than her first husband.
(d) He has no scruples.
9. What does the senator tell Jocie about Raymond?
(a) He does not love her.
(b) He has joined the army.
(c) He has died.
(d) He is gay.
10. When the newspapers print the photographs the next day, what is revealed about a banner saying, "JOHNNY ISELIN'S BOY?"
(a) This banner actually floated over the president himself.
(b) It was hanging over the President's dog's head.
(c) It blocked Shaw from the picture.
(d) It was in front of the President's face.
11. The next day, what does the FBI do to Marco?
(a) They blackmail him.
(b) They grill him.
(c) They torture him.
(d) They imprison him.
12. What do Raymond and Jocie begin?
(a) A romance.
(b) A disagreement.
(c) A friendship.
(d) A fling.
13. Where does Raymond have lunch with his mother?
(a) In a park.
(b) At a hotel restaurant.
(c) At her home.
(d) In a small cafe.
14. Why does the doctor say Raymond would be the perfect assassin?
(a) He is already an assassin and would only need to build a new allegiance.
(b) He is good with weaponry and is already a spy for the Chinese.
(c) He has many friends who would be willing to trust him.
(d) He would be accepted everywhere due to his political questions and is susceptible to mental conditioning, because he lacks emotional connections to other people.
15. How does Raymond's mother react when he tells her the full story of the major's psychological problems?
(a) She is upset.
(b) She is anxious.
(c) She is horrified.
(d) She is surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raymond work?
2. What does Marco ask Rosie?
3. What does this man then give Marco?
4. About what does Marco tell Rosie?
5. One morning, toward the end of his stay, Raymond awakens to see his mother sitting beside him. How does she appear?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)