|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Wolsey sending what he has More to read when they meet?
2. What does Rich do for the Duke?
3. What special permission did King Henry get for his first marriage?
4. What is the last name of More's daughter's suitor?
5. What does More call Anne Boleyn when talking to Wolsey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rich say would cause him to reveal Cromwell's new job, and how does Cromwell respond to this answer?
2. What is Henry's main support for his divorce when talking to More?
3. What does More say when Norfolk begs him in the Tower to sign the Act of Succession?
4. What does More's steward say to the audience about the information he gave the men in Scene 6?
5. What does Henry tell More when he sees More will not agree with him about the divorce?
6. What has Cromwell learned from reading Machiavelli?
7. How does More respond to the complaints of the boatman?
8. What did Bolt intend for the Common Man in his play to represent?
9. What does More say to Norfolk when he asks More to give in to the King?
10. What does Cromwell do at the end of his secret meeting with Rich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage and divorce were two huge and interlocking themes of this play. How were these themes presented, and which characters were most affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Robert Bolt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of the Common Man in this plot, and how did this affect the overall tone of the play?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)