|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will be most insulted if Henry gets his divorce?
2. Who got Rich his position with the Duke?
3. What is Wolsey's position in the church?
4. What does Margaret have better skills in than the surprise visitor?
5. What is the name of More's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wolsey tell More he must do before he can be a great statesman?
2. What is Henry's main support for his divorce when talking to More?
3. What does Rich say would cause him to reveal Cromwell's new job, and how does Cromwell respond to this answer?
4. What does Chapuys say will happen if Henry is allowed to divorce Catherine?
5. Why does the jailer apologize to More after his family leaves?
6. What did Bolt intend for the Common Man in his play to represent?
7. How did the Common Man say Wolsey died?
8. How does Rich feel about More's suggestion that he be a teacher, and why does he feel this way?
9. What does the steward say about Rich after asking him for a job?
10. What does More say to the Headsman just before he is executed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard Rich's foolhardy and selfish nature wreaked havoc throughout the entire play. What are some examples of this foolish behavior, and how did these actions affect the characters around him? Was the author sending a message through Simon's behavior?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Rich and Cromwell are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Robert Bolt trying to send with these two characters?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)