|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a publican?
2. Why is Cromwell happy to hear about what would induce Rich to tell others of Cromwell's new position?
3. More says his daughter's suitor is just like__________.
4. Which of the following are NOT looking for More in Scene 7?
5. What does More tell Cromwell about Wolsey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry tell More when they are together alone in More's garden?
2. What is Henry's main support for his divorce when talking to More?
3. Where does the Common Man say Rich died, and what are his feelings about this?
4. What does More say when Norfolk begs him in the Tower to sign the Act of Succession?
5. What does Alice say Norfolk hinted about while talking with her?
6. What warning does Wolsey give More before they end their meeting?
7. Why does Wolsey think a divorce for King Henry is necessary?
8. What does Rich say about the mist in England?
9. Why is More opposed to the divorce of King Henry?
10. What does Margaret ask her father after Will leaves, and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Robert Bolt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What did Chapuys learn about himself from his confrontations with Thomas More? How did the interaction with More cause Chapuys to change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different phases of the relationship between Margaret and Will and how they affected the course of the plot for the other characters around them.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)