|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a publican?
2. What does More call Anne Boleyn when talking to Wolsey?
3. What has More been given as a bribe at the beginning of the play?
4. What special permission did King Henry get for his first marriage?
5. What was the name of Henry's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rich do when he sees the cup given to More as a bribe?
2. What does Wolsey tell More he must do before he can be a great statesman?
3. How does More's steward validate the money he made by giving information about More?
4. What does Cromwell say will happen to More if he does not bless the King's marriage to Anne?
5. What is said in the first lines of Act 2?
6. What did Bolt intend for the Common Man in his play to represent?
7. What does Rich say would cause him to reveal Cromwell's new job, and how does Cromwell respond to this answer?
8. What does the Common Man say to the audience at the end of the book?
9. How does Bolt say people speak, and what does he say the problem is with this?
10. Why does Will say he is worthy of marrying Margaraet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rich and Cromwell are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Robert Bolt trying to send with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas More's fatal flaw was his undying moral integrity. How did he show this trait? Why would this have been considered a flaw by literary critics?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)