|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Henry want to divorce Catherine?
2. Where was More when he could not be found?
3. What does Rich do when More enters Scene 6?
4. How do most people view the new Chancellor?
5. What does Bolt provide in the preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main change in England at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Why does More not fear negative consequences from the King after his resignation?
3. How does More's steward validate the money he made by giving information about More?
4. What has Cromwell learned from reading Machiavelli?
5. What does Chapuys say will happen if Henry is allowed to divorce Catherine?
6. Why does More say he doesn't fear to stand before Cromwell at Hampton Court?
7. What does Alice say Norfolk hinted about while talking with her?
8. Why was the new church established?
9. According to Chapuys, what has the divorce caused the church? What does he want done about it?
10. How does More respond to the complaints of the boatman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Robert Bolt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
How did the historical backdrop of this play affect the feeling and tone of the play?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)