|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hired Cromwell after Wolsey's death?
2. How does More's daughter's suitor get home after his talk with More?
3. What does Rich say is the one thing that would convince him to tell others of Cromwell's new position?
4. Who got Rich his position with the Duke?
5. What is the new position Cromwell wants Rich to keep secret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does More say to Norfolk when he asks More to give in to the King?
2. According to Chapuys, what has the divorce caused the church? What does he want done about it?
3. Why does the jailer apologize to More after his family leaves?
4. What does Alice say Norfolk hinted about while talking with her?
5. What warning does Wolsey give More before they end their meeting?
6. Why does More say he doesn't fear to stand before Cromwell at Hampton Court?
7. What does Chapuys ask More, and how does More respond to this?
8. Why does Wolsey think a divorce for King Henry is necessary?
9. How does Rich feel about More's suggestion that he be a teacher, and why does he feel this way?
10. What does Rich do when he sees the cup given to More as a bribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rich and Cromwell are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Robert Bolt trying to send with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
More endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas More's fatal flaw was his undying moral integrity. How did he show this trait? Why would this have been considered a flaw by literary critics?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)