|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapuys call More after talking to him about Wolsey?
2. Who hired Cromwell after Wolsey's death?
3. Why does Richard say he wants the bribe that was given to More?
4. What is the Common Man gathering up in Scene 5?
5. What is a publican?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bolt intend for the Common Man in his play to represent?
2. What does More's steward say to the audience about the information he gave the men in Scene 6?
3. What does More tell his wife he will do now that he has resigned as the Chancellor?
4. What does More say to Norfolk when he asks More to give in to the King?
5. What does Chapuys ask More, and how does More respond to this?
6. What does Cromwell compare More to when discussing how to trap him with Rich?
7. How does More respond to the complaints of the boatman?
8. How does Rich feel about More's suggestion that he be a teacher, and why does he feel this way?
9. Why does Wolsey think a divorce for King Henry is necessary?
10. How did the Common Man say Wolsey died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Robert Bolt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)