|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard tell More that every man has at the beginning of the book?
2. What is the name of More's Steward?
3. What does the surprise visitor show Margaret to prove his skill?
4. Who did Henry say led him into a corner of sin?
5. How do most people view the new Chancellor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bolt say More had the ability to do that most people do not?
2. What does the Common Man say is the one bad thing about More as a Chancellor?
3. Why is Alice so angry with her husband when she visits him in prison?
4. What does Cromwell say will happen to More if he does not bless the King's marriage to Anne?
5. What does Margaret ask her father after Will leaves, and what is his response?
6. Why does More say he doesn't fear to stand before Cromwell at Hampton Court?
7. What will be the first major task for More as the new Chancellor, and what might this mean?
8. What warning does Wolsey give More before they end their meeting?
9. What does Cromwell say has to be done to More to make the divorce possible, and what does Rich say to this?
10. What does Norfolk ask More after his chain of service is removed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Henry was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this when he only appeared once? What are some ways that his brief presence altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if the King had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Robert Bolt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Rich and Cromwell are very similar in nature although very different in many other areas. What are some of these intrinsic differences and similarities, and what message(s) was Robert Bolt trying to send with these two characters?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)