Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
Essay Topic 1
Once the central conflict of Sis's disappearance is resolved, do you characterize Poe's dissatisfaction with it as a twist? Poe makes it clear to Edmund that he believes he can give Sis immortality in his story. Is Poe's lack of reaction to Sis's recovery to be expected, or is it a surprise that adds color and depth to the final moments of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of setting in the novel. Think about the various specific locations where the characters are found. What do they have in common? How do they contribute to the mood of the novel? How do they bring the novel to life visually? How do they reflect the characters' inner journeys?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)