|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
2. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
3. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
4. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
5. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Two, Dupin tells Edmund that "there is a difference what happens and what we would like to have happen". How does this quote summarize the essential difference between Dupin and Edmund throughout the novel? How does it relate to the theme of hope versus despair?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Edmund initially chooses to trust a stranger rather than going to the authorities? What is it about Dupin that makes him believe he is helpful? What would you do in Edmund's in place?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)