|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
2. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
3. What happened to Poe in real life?
4. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
5. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
2. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
3. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
4. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
5. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
6. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
7. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
8. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
9. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
10. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you characterize Dupin/Poe's crime-solving methods? Do you think they are effective? Use specific details from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the beginning of Poe's story being identical to the prologue of the novel? What does it say about the relationship between Poe and Edmund? Do you think it is an indication that Poe's association with Edmund changed him?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the story Poe is writing throughout the course of the novel? How does it change, and how do these changes reflect the changes in Poe's character and in his relationship with Edmund?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)