|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
2. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
3. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
4. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
5. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
2. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
3. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
4. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
5. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
6. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
7. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
8. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
9. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
10. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
Essay Topic 2
How many mysteries are there in this novel? How do they overlap? Analyze how the clues for solving each mystery are necessary for solving the others.
Essay Topic 3
What do we learn about Poe from the style with which he approaches his courtship of Mrs. Whitman? Does he seem determined? Shy? Indifferent? How do you think this relates to the loss of his first wife?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)