|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
2. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
3. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
4. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
5. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
2. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
3. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
4. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
5. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
6. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
7. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
8. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
9. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
10. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edmund has one trusted adult friend: Captain Elias. Why do you think he waits so long to visit Captain Elias and seek out his help? Do you see this as a flaw in the novel? Does the author have Edmund avoid his friend just so that his relationship with Dupin/Poe can play out in a more interesting way? Do you think the author should have deleted Captain Elias from the novel, and imparted the information Captain Elias shares in some other way?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Edmund should have continued to trust Dupin, even though he kept letting him down? Or should he have taken matters into his own hands sooner? Do you think trusting Dupin is a choice or a necessity?
Essay Topic 3
Once the central conflict of Sis's disappearance is resolved, do you characterize Poe's dissatisfaction with it as a twist? Poe makes it clear to Edmund that he believes he can give Sis immortality in his story. Is Poe's lack of reaction to Sis's recovery to be expected, or is it a surprise that adds color and depth to the final moments of the story?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)