Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
Essay Topic 1
What do we learn about Poe from the style with which he approaches his courtship of Mrs. Whitman? Does he seem determined? Shy? Indifferent? How do you think this relates to the loss of his first wife?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, the guests discuss whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face. Do you think they are accurately describing Dupin's approach to crime solving? For example, does Dupin/Poe attempt to discern whether a man is honest simply by looking at him? Do you think you can generally "judge a book by its cover", or is more probing required to get to the truth?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Poe's use of a pseudonym? What is the significance of the specific pseudonym he chooses? What are some other examples of his assuming a false identify, and what do these say about his character?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)