|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
2. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
3. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
4. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
5. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Edmund initially chooses to trust a stranger rather than going to the authorities? What is it about Dupin that makes him believe he is helpful? What would you do in Edmund's in place?
Essay Topic 2
How many mysteries are there in this novel? How do they overlap? Analyze how the clues for solving each mystery are necessary for solving the others.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Poe's use of a pseudonym? What is the significance of the specific pseudonym he chooses? What are some other examples of his assuming a false identify, and what do these say about his character?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)