|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
2. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
3. What does another of the notices say?
4. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
5. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
2. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
3. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
4. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
5. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
6. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
7. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
8. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
9. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
10. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Poe states that the evil in his writings symbolizes human fears. Having read this novel as well as works by Poe, do you agree? What do you think is the connection between evil and fear? What does Poe's connecting the two concepts tell us about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
Essay Topic 3
What do we learn about Poe from the style with which he approaches his courtship of Mrs. Whitman? Does he seem determined? Shy? Indifferent? How do you think this relates to the loss of his first wife?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)