|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
2. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
3. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
4. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
5. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
2. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
3. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
4. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
5. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
6. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
7. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
8. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
9. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
10. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, the guests discuss whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face. Do you think they are accurately describing Dupin's approach to crime solving? For example, does Dupin/Poe attempt to discern whether a man is honest simply by looking at him? Do you think you can generally "judge a book by its cover", or is more probing required to get to the truth?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Poe's use of a pseudonym? What is the significance of the specific pseudonym he chooses? What are some other examples of his assuming a false identify, and what do these say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process of Edmund's coming of age in the novel. What are the influences that trigger his development? How does he change from a helpless child to a brave, assertive rescuer?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)