|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
2. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
3. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
4. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
5. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
2. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
3. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
4. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
5. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
6. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
7. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
8. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
9. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
10. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 13, Poe states that the evil in his writings symbolizes human fears. Having read this novel as well as works by Poe, do you agree? What do you think is the connection between evil and fear? What does Poe's connecting the two concepts tell us about his character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of Edmund's coming of age in the novel. What are the influences that trigger his development? How does he change from a helpless child to a brave, assertive rescuer?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract Edmund and Dupin/Poe. Use specific examples from the novel relating to their circumstances, life events, and reactions to these circumstances and events.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)