|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
4. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
5. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
Essay Topic 1
Dupin/Poe tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth." Do you agree? Do you think this is the case only in fiction, or in real life as well?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contract Edmund and Dupin/Poe. Use specific examples from the novel relating to their circumstances, life events, and reactions to these circumstances and events.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, the guests discuss whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face. Do you think they are accurately describing Dupin's approach to crime solving? For example, does Dupin/Poe attempt to discern whether a man is honest simply by looking at him? Do you think you can generally "judge a book by its cover", or is more probing required to get to the truth?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)