|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
2. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
3. What does the style of the novel mimic?
4. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
5. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
2. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
3. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
4. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
5. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
6. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
7. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
8. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
9. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
10. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the various ways in which real life and fiction intermingle in this story? What do you think the author is saying about the nature of realism and fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 13, Poe states that the evil in his writings symbolizes human fears. Having read this novel as well as works by Poe, do you agree? What do you think is the connection between evil and fear? What does Poe's connecting the two concepts tell us about his character?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)