|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the story Poe is writing throughout the course of the novel? How does it change, and how do these changes reflect the changes in Poe's character and in his relationship with Edmund?
Essay Topic 2
Edmund has one trusted adult friend: Captain Elias. Why do you think he waits so long to visit Captain Elias and seek out his help? Do you see this as a flaw in the novel? Does the author have Edmund avoid his friend just so that his relationship with Dupin/Poe can play out in a more interesting way? Do you think the author should have deleted Captain Elias from the novel, and imparted the information Captain Elias shares in some other way?
Essay Topic 3
How do you characterize Dupin/Poe's crime-solving methods? Do you think they are effective? Use specific details from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)