|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This novel combines _____.
2. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
3. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
4. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
5. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of Edmund's coming of age in the novel. What are the influences that trigger his development? How does he change from a helpless child to a brave, assertive rescuer?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Edmund should have continued to trust Dupin, even though he kept letting him down? Or should he have taken matters into his own hands sooner? Do you think trusting Dupin is a choice or a necessity?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, the guests discuss whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face. Do you think they are accurately describing Dupin's approach to crime solving? For example, does Dupin/Poe attempt to discern whether a man is honest simply by looking at him? Do you think you can generally "judge a book by its cover", or is more probing required to get to the truth?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)