Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract Edmund and Dupin/Poe. Use specific examples from the novel relating to their circumstances, life events, and reactions to these circumstances and events.
Essay Topic 2
Once the central conflict of Sis's disappearance is resolved, do you characterize Poe's dissatisfaction with it as a twist? Poe makes it clear to Edmund that he believes he can give Sis immortality in his story. Is Poe's lack of reaction to Sis's recovery to be expected, or is it a surprise that adds color and depth to the final moments of the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 13, the guests discuss whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face. Do you think they are accurately describing Dupin's approach to crime solving? For example, does Dupin/Poe attempt to discern whether a man is honest simply by looking at him? Do you think you can generally "judge a book by its cover", or is more probing required to get to the truth?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)