|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
2. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
3. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
4. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
5. What does the style of the novel mimic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
2. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
3. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
4. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
5. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
6. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
7. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
8. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
9. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
10. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Two, Dupin tells Edmund that "there is a difference what happens and what we would like to have happen". How does this quote summarize the essential difference between Dupin and Edmund throughout the novel? How does it relate to the theme of hope versus despair?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Edmund should have continued to trust Dupin, even though he kept letting him down? Or should he have taken matters into his own hands sooner? Do you think trusting Dupin is a choice or a necessity?
Essay Topic 3
What do we learn about Poe from the style with which he approaches his courtship of Mrs. Whitman? Does he seem determined? Shy? Indifferent? How do you think this relates to the loss of his first wife?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)