|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
2. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
3. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
4. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
5. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Poe's use of a pseudonym? What is the significance of the specific pseudonym he chooses? What are some other examples of his assuming a false identify, and what do these say about his character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the story Poe is writing throughout the course of the novel? How does it change, and how do these changes reflect the changes in Poe's character and in his relationship with Edmund?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)