|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story take place?
2. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
3. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
4. When Edmund enters his room with the food for himself and his sister, what state is his sister in?
5. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Edmund continues to trust Dupin, even after reading in Dupin's notebook in Chapter Nine that Dupin thinks his story should end with Sis' death?
2. Based on the prologue, what do you think is the author's opinion of Poe as a writer?
3. When Edmund sees Dupin asleep, surrounded by empty liquor bottles, in Chapter Three, what conflict does it bring about it Edmund's thinking?
4. How does the setting reflect Edmund's emotional state?
5. What do you think is Dupin's primary motivation for helping Edmund?
6. Why do you think the author decided to set up a mystery in the style of Edgar Allan Poe?
7. What is the significance of the absence of adults in the Prologue?
8. What is the significance of the fact that both Edmund and Dupin have an important person in their lives whom they call Sis?
9. Do you think there is any significance to the author's choice of the name "Edmund"?
10. What does it reveal about Dupin's character when he tells Edmund in Chapter Two, "There is a difference between what happens and what we would like to have happen"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the characters frequently think they see ghosts throughout the novel? What do the ghosts symbolize? What is the significance of the fact that these characters generally realize immediately that ghosts don't really exist?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the story Poe is writing throughout the course of the novel? How does it change, and how do these changes reflect the changes in Poe's character and in his relationship with Edmund?
Essay Topic 3
Dupin/Poe tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth." Do you agree? Do you think this is the case only in fiction, or in real life as well?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)