|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fortnoy?
2. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
3. Who first used the locked-room concept?
4. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
5. What two things does this novel incorporate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the setting reflect Edmund's emotional state?
2. What is the significance of Edmund's direct accusation, in Chapter Nine, that Dupin has abandoned him?
3. Why do you think Dupin is so obsessed with death?
4. What do you think is Dupin's primary motivation for helping Edmund?
5. How does the locked-room mystery engage the reader?
6. Why do you think the author sets up the prologue so that all of Edmund's female family members are missing?
7. When Edmund sees Dupin asleep, surrounded by empty liquor bottles, in Chapter Three, what conflict does it bring about it Edmund's thinking?
8. What is the significance of the fact that both Edmund and Dupin have an important person in their lives whom they call Sis?
9. Why do you think Poe chooses to go by the name of his fictional detective?
10. Do you think the story would be as effective if it were set in a different time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Two, Dupin tells Edmund that "there is a difference what happens and what we would like to have happen". How does this quote summarize the essential difference between Dupin and Edmund throughout the novel? How does it relate to the theme of hope versus despair?
Essay Topic 2
How do you characterize Dupin/Poe's crime-solving methods? Do you think they are effective? Use specific details from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the beginning of Poe's story being identical to the prologue of the novel? What does it say about the relationship between Poe and Edmund? Do you think it is an indication that Poe's association with Edmund changed him?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)