|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(b) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(c) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(d) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
2. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) Her suitor.
(b) Edmund's father.
(c) An author.
(d) A detective.
3. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
(a) He has given up on life.
(b) He is determined to help others.
(c) He is suicidal.
(d) He has a new lease on life.
4. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
5. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is very wealthy.
(b) He is a drunkard.
(c) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) He is Mr. Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
2. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
3. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
4. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
5. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
2. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
3. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
4. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
5. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
6. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
7. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
8. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
9. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
10. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)