|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) He believes she has lost interest in him.
(b) He has lost interest.
(c) It doesn't fit into his story.
(d) Too many people oppose their union.
2. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It overturns.
(b) It gets away.
(c) It hits a rock.
(d) It plows into Edmund's boat.
3. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A prayer book.
(c) A mystery story.
(d) A notebook.
4. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
(a) Wads of cash.
(b) Poe's story.
(c) The gold bars stolen from the bank.
(d) Sis's book.
5. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
(a) A kitchen knife.
(b) Throck's gun.
(c) Poe's gun.
(d) Poe's knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does another of the notices say?
2. What does Dupin remind Edmund that Edmund first noticed about his aunt's body?
3. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
4. This novel combines _____.
5. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
2. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
3. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
4. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
5. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
6. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
7. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
8. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
9. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
10. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)