|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A prayer book.
(b) A mystery story.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A notebook.
2. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Edmund's dead aunt.
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
3. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
(a) He is knocked unconscious.
(b) He is tied up.
(c) He is knocked into the harbor.
(d) He is taken onto the ship.
4. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) Edmund's father.
(b) Her suitor.
(c) An author.
(d) A detective.
5. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He offers to trade places with her.
(b) He uses Poe's knife.
(c) He dives into the water.
(d) He uses Throck's gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
2. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
3. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
4. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
5. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
2. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
3. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
4. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
5. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
6. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
7. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
8. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
9. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
10. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)