|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(b) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
(c) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
(d) If he is a drunkard.
2. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Gold Bug.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The newspaper notices.
3. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
(a) It is less important than writing his story.
(b) It is only worth it to him if Edmund keeps him supplied with liquor.
(c) It is pointless because she is probably dead.
(d) It is more important that writing his story.
4. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
(a) A newspaper.
(c) Candles and matches.
(d) A meat pie.
5. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is Mr. Whitman.
(b) He is very wealthy.
(c) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) He is a drunkard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
2. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
3. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
4. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
5. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
2. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
3. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
4. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
5. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
6. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
7. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
8. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
9. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
10. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)