|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
(b) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(c) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
(d) If he is a drunkard.
2. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(b) Offering to help him write his story.
(c) Withholding his liquor.
(d) Threatening to tear up his story.
3. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(a) A newspaper.
4. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(b) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(c) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(d) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
5. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A mystery story.
(b) A prayer book.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
2. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
3. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
4. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
5. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
2. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
3. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
4. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
5. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
6. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
7. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
8. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
9. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
10. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)