|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
2. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As a servant.
(b) As a seamstress.
(c) As a bargaining tool.
(d) As an accomplice.
3. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a story.
(b) It is a picture.
(c) It is a ship.
(d) It is a drink.
4. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) Someone he never sees.
(b) A man with white hair.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A man with dark hair.
5. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) An elderly man.
(b) A young, fair-haired man.
(c) A middle-aged man.
(d) A bald man.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
2. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
3. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
4. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
5. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
2. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
3. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
4. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
5. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
6. Do you think Poe is a coward for giving up on marrying Helen because, as he says, too many timid people feel threatened by his power as a writer?
7. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
8. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
9. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
10. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)