|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was placed by Rachett.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
2. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Offering to help him write his story.
(b) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(c) Threatening to tear up his story.
(d) Withholding his liquor.
3. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He dives into the water.
(b) He uses Poe's knife.
(c) He uses Throck's gun.
(d) He offers to trade places with her.
4. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
5. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(b) Not succeeding as a writer.
(c) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Poe in real life?
2. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
3. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
4. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
5. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
2. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
3. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
4. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
5. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
6. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
7. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
8. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
9. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
10. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)