|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a picture.
(b) It is a drink.
(c) It is a ship.
(d) It is a story.
2. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
3. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(b) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(c) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(d) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
4. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(b) Mr. Rachett.
(c) Mr. Poe.
5. This novel combines _____.
(a) A made-up character named Poe with made-up characters.
(b) True details about Poe and made-up details about Poe's fictional characters.
(c) A made-up character named Poe with other real authors' fictional characters.
(d) True historical details about Poe and true details about Poe's fictional characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
2. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
3. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
4. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
5. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the turning point Edmund experiences in Chapter 14?
2. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
3. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
4. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
5. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
6. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
7. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
8. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
9. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
10. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)