|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(a) Mrs. Powers.
(b) Mrs. Whitman.
2. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
(a) While drinking.
(b) Using one of his stories.
(c) In a dream.
(d) Throck figured it out first.
3. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
(b) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(c) Do a drawing of her face.
(d) Pose for her.
4. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
(a) Edmund's dead aunt.
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
5. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The bank.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) Edmund's home.
(d) The docks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
2. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
3. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
5. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
2. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
3. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
4. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
5. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
6. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
7. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
8. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
9. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
10. What is the importance of the guests' discussion of whether it is possible to read a man's character from his face?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)