|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
(b) His partner, Peterson.
(c) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
(d) Edmund's sister.
2. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) He has lost interest.
(b) It doesn't fit into his story.
(c) Too many people oppose their union.
(d) He believes she has lost interest in him.
3. What does Dupin remind Edmund that Edmund first noticed about his aunt's body?
(a) It was too dark to see her face.
(b) The body was too decayed to see clearly.
(c) Her hair was longer that Edmund remembered.
(d) She wore a strange dress.
4. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(b) No one.
(c) Edmund's mother.
5. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
(b) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(c) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(d) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
2. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
3. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
4. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
5. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
2. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
3. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
4. What is the significance, in Chapter 16, of Edmund throwing himself at a man with a gun?
5. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
6. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
7. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
8. How do you think Edmund felt upon reading the beginning of Poe's story, and seeing the name "Edgar" changed to "Edmund"? Do you think it made him regret having torn up the rest of the story?
9. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
10. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)