|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His lack of inner drive.
(b) His fierce determination.
(c) His fear of failure.
(d) His careful weighing of his options.
2. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A prayer book.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A mystery story.
3. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By shouting out.
(b) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
(c) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
(d) By pretending to have a weapon.
4. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) In a bank.
(c) In a saloon.
(d) In a church.
5. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
(a) Whether he was really trying to save Sis.
(b) Whether he is really a writer.
(c) Whether he really had a wife named Sis.
(d) Whether his name is really Poe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
2. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
3. Who or what is Peggy?
4. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
5. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 16 when he tells Edmund that "lies have their own truth"?
2. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
3. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
4. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
5. Why do you think the author has Poe share his thought process throughout the story, rather than saving all his insights for the end?
6. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
7. Why is it significant in Chapter 19 that Edmund decodes an important riddle while all the adults around him sleep?
8. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
9. Why do both Dupin and Edmund frequently believe they have seen ghosts?
10. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)