|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His fear of failure.
(b) His fierce determination.
(c) His careful weighing of his options.
(d) His lack of inner drive.
2. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
(b) By shouting out.
(c) By pretending to have a weapon.
(d) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
3. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(b) Pose for her.
(c) Do a drawing of her face.
(d) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
4. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(b) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It was placed by Rachett.
5. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(b) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(c) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(d) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
2. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
3. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
4. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
5. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
2. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
3. What is the symbolism, in Chapter 13, of Dupin's imagining that Helen's mothers guests are demons wearing masks of black death?
4. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
5. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
6. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
7. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
8. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
9. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
10. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)