|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
(a) Using one of his stories.
(b) Throck figured it out first.
(c) In a dream.
(d) While drinking.
2. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Threatening to tear up his story.
(b) Bribing him.
(c) Giving him liquor.
(d) Withholding his liquor.
3. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
(a) The newspaper the food is wrapped in.
(b) An encoded message.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His notebook.
4. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
(b) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(c) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(d) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
5. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
(a) She would have lived longer in his story than in reality.
(b) She will probably not live long.
(c) She did not display courage throughout her abduction.
(d) She is a stronger person than Edmund.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
2. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
3. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
4. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
5. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
2. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
3. How does the final chase scene in Chapter 21 differ from the rest of the novel?
4. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
5. What does Dupin mean in Chapter 14 when he tells Edmund that "the story is over"?
6. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Edmund's grabbing Poe's story and threatening to rip it up if Poe does not help him?
7. How does Edmund's character change by Chapter 18, compared to the Prologue?
8. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
9. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
10. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)