|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Not succeeding as a writer.
(d) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
2. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is a drunkard.
(b) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
(c) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(d) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
3. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a saloon.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In a cemetery.
4. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(a) No one.
(d) Edmund's mother.
5. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(b) So she could be held for ransom.
(c) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(d) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
2. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
3. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
4. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
5. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader learn about the real-life Poe in this novel?
2. Why do you think Poe drops the remainder of his story on the ground before walking away from Edward for the last time?
3. Why do you think Edmund makes the final decision to tear up Poe's story before going to the docks to rescue Sis?
4. What is the symbolism in Chapter 19 of Poe's belief upon seeing Edmund and his mother that his characters have come to life?
5. Why is it significant in Chapter 14 that Edmund first begins to doubt Dupin's detective skills after talking to Captain Elias?
6. Do you think Poe is able to make up his own mind whether or not to root for Edmund's happiness, or does his nature force him to hope for the worst?
7. Why do you think Dupin decides that his work is done after summing up the details of the solved mystery in Chapter 17?
8. Why do you think the author has Edmund's mother demand both the divorce and her money, rather than just being satisfied with a divorce, when she first encounters her husband?
9. Why do you think the author uses the circular technique of starting Poe's story in a way that is identical to the start of the novel?
10. If you were Edmund, how do you feel about Poe's assertion that Sis lives on longer in Poe's story than she does in real life?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)