|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Edmund have at the beginning of the story?
(a) A dime.
(b) A penny.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A dollar.
2. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Murder Edmund's sister.
(b) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(c) Murder Edmund.
(d) Solve the bank robbery.
3. The book's prologue is particularly engaging for its target audience of _____.
(c) Professional detectives.
(d) Amateur detectives.
4. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
(a) The Raven.
(b) The Gold Bug.
(c) The Metamorphosis.
(d) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
5. What is the children's room like?
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
2. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
3. In what year does the story take place?
4. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
5. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author decided to set up a mystery in the style of Edgar Allan Poe?
2. What is the significance of the fact that both Edmund and Dupin have an important person in their lives whom they call Sis?
3. Why do you think the author has Dupin tell Edmund that he has certain critical information, but refuses to share it with him?
4. What can the reader deduce about the real-life Poe from part one of the novel?
5. Why do you think Dupin is so obsessed with death?
6. Why do you think the author chose not to reveal Sis's true name?
7. What is the significance of the absence of adults in the Prologue?
8. What did Edgar Allan Poe do in his mystery stories that no one had done before, and how does this impact future mystery writers?
9. Do you think there is any significance to the author's choice of the name "Edmund"?
10. How do you think the character Dupin reflects the real-life Poe?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)