|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(c) A detective.
2. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Solve a mystery.
(b) Deliver a letter.
(c) Help him get a job.
(d) Help him write a story.
3. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(a) A murder.
(b) An accident.
(c) A suicide.
4. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, where does Mrs. Whitman tell Edmund to have Dupin meet her?
(a) At the cemetery behind her house.
(b) At the docks.
(c) At the tavern.
(d) At the courthouse.
5. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
(a) A large sum of money.
(b) A trail of blood.
(c) A written message from Edmund's sister.
(d) A button from Edmund's sister's shoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
2. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
3. What street does Edmund live on?
4. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
5. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the novel would be different if there were no prologue?
2. Why do you think Poe chooses to go by the name of his fictional detective?
3. What is the significance of the absence of adults in the Prologue?
4. When Edmund sees Dupin asleep, surrounded by empty liquor bottles, in Chapter Three, what conflict does it bring about it Edmund's thinking?
5. Why do you think the author chose not to reveal Sis's true name?
6. What is the significance of the fact that both Edmund and Dupin have an important person in their lives whom they call Sis?
7. What does it reveal about Dupin's character when he tells Edmund in Chapter Two, "There is a difference between what happens and what we would like to have happen"?
8. Why do you think Dupin is so obsessed with death?
9. Do you think there is any significance to the author's choice of the name "Edmund"?
10. What do you think is Dupin's primary motivation for helping Edmund?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)