|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(c) Not revealed.
2. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(a) Nursery rhymes.
(d) Fairy tales.
3. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(b) An accident.
(c) A suicide.
(d) A murder.
4. When Edmund enters his room with the food for himself and his sister, what state is his sister in?
(a) She is missing.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is in tears.
(d) She is happy.
5. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
(a) Through the front door.
(b) Through the window.
(c) Through the chimney.
(d) Through a trap door in the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Auguste Dupin?
2. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
3. At the clothier's shop, what does the large man do when he sees Edmund?
4. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
5. What does Dupin want Edmund to find out at the docks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Edmund's direct accusation, in Chapter Nine, that Dupin has abandoned him?
2. Why do you think the author sets up the prologue so that all of Edmund's female family members are missing?
3. What is the significance of the absence of adults in the Prologue?
4. Why do you think Poe chooses to go by the name of his fictional detective?
5. Why do you think the author decided to set up a mystery in the style of Edgar Allan Poe?
6. Why do you think Edmund continues to trust Dupin, even after reading in Dupin's notebook in Chapter Nine that Dupin thinks his story should end with Sis' death?
7. When Edmund sees Dupin asleep, surrounded by empty liquor bottles, in Chapter Three, what conflict does it bring about it Edmund's thinking?
8. How does the setting reflect Edmund's emotional state?
9. What is the significance of the fact that both Edmund and Dupin have an important person in their lives whom they call Sis?
10. How do you think the novel would be different if there were no prologue?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)