|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupine.
(b) August Dupin.
(c) August Dupine.
(d) Auguste Dupin.
2. What street does Edmund live on?
(a) Shamrock Street.
(b) Windemere Street.
(c) Ann Street.
(d) Wickenden Street.
3. Where does the story take place?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) London, England.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Providence, Rhode Island.
4. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Rachett.
5. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Help him get a job.
(b) Deliver a letter.
(c) Help him write a story.
(d) Solve a mystery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
2. After they discuss Edmund's step-father, who does Dupin send Edmund to speak to at the docks?
3. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
4. Who is Throck?
5. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the reader deduce about the real-life Poe from part one of the novel?
2. Do you think there is any significance to the author's choice of the name "Edmund"?
3. Why do you think the author decided to set up a mystery in the style of Edgar Allan Poe?
4. Do you think the story would be as effective if it were set in a different time period?
5. When Edmund sees Dupin asleep, surrounded by empty liquor bottles, in Chapter Three, what conflict does it bring about it Edmund's thinking?
6. How does the locked-room mystery engage the reader?
7. Why do you think Poe chooses to go by the name of his fictional detective?
8. What does the author accomplish in part one by having Dupin tell Edmund that Edmund already has all the facts he needs to solve the crime?
9. Why do you think Dupin is so obsessed with death?
10. What do you think is Dupin's primary motivation for helping Edmund?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)