|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
2. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It gets away.
(b) It plows into Edmund's boat.
(c) It overturns.
(d) It hits a rock.
3. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
(a) He is more adult.
(b) He is more Irresponsible.
(c) He is more child-like.
(d) He is more trusting.
4. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
(a) He is tied up.
(b) He is knocked unconscious.
(c) He is knocked into the harbor.
(d) He is taken onto the ship.
5. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
6. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
7. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The docks.
(b) Edmund's home.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The bank.
8. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) Edmund's father.
(b) A detective.
(c) Her suitor.
(d) An author.
9. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His lack of inner drive.
(b) His careful weighing of his options.
(c) His fear of failure.
(d) His fierce determination.
10. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He offers to trade places with her.
(b) He uses Poe's knife.
(c) He dives into the water.
(d) He uses Throck's gun.
11. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(c) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
(d) She followed her husband to Providence.
12. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) Too many people oppose their union.
(b) He has lost interest.
(c) It doesn't fit into his story.
(d) He believes she has lost interest in him.
13. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why he was in the cemetery.
(b) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
(c) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
(d) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
14. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
(b) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(c) So she could be held for ransom.
(d) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
15. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
(b) By pretending to have a weapon.
(c) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
(d) By shouting out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
2. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
3. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
4. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
5. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)