|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
(b) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
(c) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(d) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
2. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
(a) He is knocked into the harbor.
(b) He is knocked unconscious.
(c) He is tied up.
(d) He is taken onto the ship.
3. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The docks.
(b) The bank.
(c) Edmund's home.
(d) The cemetery.
4. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
(a) Poe's knife.
(b) Poe's gun.
(c) Throck's gun.
(d) A kitchen knife.
5. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Mr. Rachett.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
6. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was placed by Peterson.
(b) It was placed by Rachett.
(c) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(d) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
7. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(b) Edmund's mother.
(c) No one.
8. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
(b) He had a son named Edmund.
(c) He was rehabilitated.
(d) He was not a famous author.
9. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Throck's gun.
(b) He dives into the water.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He uses Poe's knife.
10. While his mother sleeps, what does Edmund ask Poe to do?
(a) Help him find his sister.
(b) Write a happier ending to his story.
(c) Take care of his mother.
(d) Give him money for food.
11. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
(b) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(c) If he is a drunkard.
(d) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
12. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By pretending to have a weapon.
(b) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
(c) By shouting out.
(d) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
13. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(b) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
(c) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(d) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
14. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(d) A newspaper.
15. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(b) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(c) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(d) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
Short Answer Questions
1. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
2. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
3. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
4. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
5. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)