|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
(a) He is Edmund's step-father.
(b) He is Edmund's mother's murderer.
(c) He is Edmund's father.
(d) He is Edmund's aunt's murderer.
2. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A corpse.
(b) A button.
(d) A ghost.
3. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(b) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
(c) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(d) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
4. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(b) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(c) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(d) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
5. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(c) Not succeeding as a writer.
(d) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
6. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a story.
(b) It is a ship.
(c) It is a drink.
(d) It is a picture.
7. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
(b) Do a drawing of her face.
(c) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(d) Pose for her.
8. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(b) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(c) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
(d) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
9. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Giving him liquor.
(b) Bribing him.
(c) Withholding his liquor.
(d) Threatening to tear up his story.
10. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
11. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
(b) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(c) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(d) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
12. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
(b) Edmund's sister.
(c) His partner, Peterson.
(d) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
13. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(a) A newspaper.
14. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His fear of failure.
(b) His lack of inner drive.
(c) His careful weighing of his options.
(d) His fierce determination.
15. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Poley.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe believe about Edmund's sister's ultimate fate?
2. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
3. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
4. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
5. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)