|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
(c) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(d) She followed her husband to Providence.
2. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Threatening to tear up his story.
(b) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(c) Offering to help him write his story.
(d) Withholding his liquor.
3. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A button.
(b) A corpse.
(c) A ghost.
4. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
(a) A note to Mrs. Whitman.
(b) The same prologue that begins Edmund's story.
(c) An apology to Edward for his behavior.
(d) The beginning of Poe's life.
5. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Giving him liquor.
(b) Withholding his liquor.
(c) Threatening to tear up his story.
(d) Bribing him.
6. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
7. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
(a) He is determined to help others.
(b) He has a new lease on life.
(c) He has given up on life.
(d) He is suicidal.
8. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
(a) Whether he really had a wife named Sis.
(b) Whether he was really trying to save Sis.
(c) Whether his name is really Poe.
(d) Whether he is really a writer.
9. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The bank.
(c) Edmund's home.
(d) The docks.
10. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
(a) The newspaper the food is wrapped in.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His notebook.
(d) An encoded message.
11. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was placed by Rachett.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
12. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A mystery story.
(c) A prayer book.
(d) A notebook.
13. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
(a) Throck figured it out first.
(b) While drinking.
(c) Using one of his stories.
(d) In a dream.
14. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
(b) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
(c) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(d) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
15. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) He is very wealthy.
(c) He is a drunkard.
(d) He is Mr. Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
2. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
4. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
5. Who or what is Peggy?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)