|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
(b) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
(c) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(d) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
2. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
(b) His partner, Peterson.
(c) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
(d) Edmund's sister.
3. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) Someone he never sees.
(b) A man with white hair.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A man with dark hair.
4. What does Dupin remind Edmund that Edmund first noticed about his aunt's body?
(a) She wore a strange dress.
(b) Her hair was longer that Edmund remembered.
(c) The body was too decayed to see clearly.
(d) It was too dark to see her face.
5. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) A church.
(b) A saloon.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The docks.
6. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
(a) He is determined to help others.
(b) He has a new lease on life.
(c) He is suicidal.
(d) He has given up on life.
7. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) An elderly man.
(b) A bald man.
(c) A middle-aged man.
(d) A young, fair-haired man.
8. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
(a) She did not display courage throughout her abduction.
(b) She will probably not live long.
(c) She would have lived longer in his story than in reality.
(d) She is a stronger person than Edmund.
9. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(b) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
(c) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
(d) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
10. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Rachett.
(d) Mr. Poe.
11. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Peterson.
(b) Mr. Poley.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Poe.
12. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(b) No one.
(c) Edmund's mother.
13. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(c) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(d) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
14. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(b) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(c) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
(d) So she could be held for ransom.
15. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Edmund's dead aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
2. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
3. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
4. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
5. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)