|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with his story.
(b) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
(c) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
(d) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
2. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(b) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(c) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(d) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
3. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) Edmund's father.
(b) An author.
(c) Her suitor.
(d) A detective.
4. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a saloon.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In a cemetery.
5. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It hits a rock.
(b) It overturns.
(c) It plows into Edmund's boat.
(d) It gets away.
6. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Not succeeding as a writer.
(b) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
7. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He had a son named Edmund.
(b) He was rehabilitated.
(c) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
(d) He was not a famous author.
8. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A sleeping bag.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) A straw mattress.
9. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Poe.
10. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(b) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(c) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
(d) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
11. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(b) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(c) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(d) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
12. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(c) No one.
(d) Edmund's mother.
13. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
(b) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
(c) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(d) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
14. Who or what is Peggy?
(a) Captain Elias's peg leg.
(b) The boat used to try to rescue Sis.
(c) A character in Poe's story.
(d) A bar maid.
15. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
(a) It is only worth it to him if Edmund keeps him supplied with liquor.
(b) It is less important than writing his story.
(c) It is pointless because she is probably dead.
(d) It is more important that writing his story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
2. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
3. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
4. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
5. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)