|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
(a) An encoded message.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His notebook.
(d) The newspaper the food is wrapped in.
2. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
3. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(b) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(c) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(d) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
4. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) The docks.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) A church.
(d) A saloon.
5. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
6. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a saloon.
(d) In a bank.
7. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(b) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(c) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(d) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
8. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
(a) He is Edmund's step-father.
(b) He is Edmund's aunt's murderer.
(c) He is Edmund's father.
(d) He is Edmund's mother's murderer.
9. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
(b) He was rehabilitated.
(c) He had a son named Edmund.
(d) He was not a famous author.
10. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) Edmund's home.
(b) The docks.
(c) The bank.
(d) The cemetery.
11. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A man with white hair.
(c) Someone he never sees.
(d) A man with dark hair.
12. What does Dupin remind Edmund that Edmund first noticed about his aunt's body?
(a) The body was too decayed to see clearly.
(b) She wore a strange dress.
(c) It was too dark to see her face.
(d) Her hair was longer that Edmund remembered.
13. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Throw it onto the ground.
(b) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(c) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Add a prologue.
14. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(b) A corpse.
(c) A button.
(d) A ghost.
15. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Throck's gun.
(b) He dives into the water.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He uses Poe's knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
2. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
3. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
4. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
5. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)