|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(c) Throw it onto the ground.
(d) Add a prologue.
2. While his mother sleeps, what does Edmund ask Poe to do?
(a) Give him money for food.
(b) Take care of his mother.
(c) Write a happier ending to his story.
(d) Help him find his sister.
3. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a picture.
(b) It is a ship.
(c) It is a drink.
(d) It is a story.
4. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
(a) He is more Irresponsible.
(b) He is more child-like.
(c) He is more adult.
(d) He is more trusting.
5. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The docks.
(c) A church.
(d) A saloon.
6. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Mrs. Whitman.
(c) Mrs. Powers.
7. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By shouting out.
(b) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
(c) By pretending to have a weapon.
(d) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
8. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He offers to trade places with her.
(b) He dives into the water.
(c) He uses Throck's gun.
(d) He uses Poe's knife.
9. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(b) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(c) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(d) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
10. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Not succeeding as a writer.
(d) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
11. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A prayer book.
(d) A mystery story.
12. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A corpse.
(d) A button.
13. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His lack of inner drive.
(b) His careful weighing of his options.
(c) His fear of failure.
(d) His fierce determination.
14. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She followed her husband to Providence.
(d) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
15. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(c) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(d) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
2. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
3. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
4. What does another of the notices say?
5. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)