|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
(a) He is Edmund's step-father.
(b) He is Edmund's father.
(c) He is Edmund's aunt's murderer.
(d) He is Edmund's mother's murderer.
2. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
(b) He had a son named Edmund.
(c) He was not a famous author.
(d) He was rehabilitated.
3. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(b) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
(c) She followed her husband to Providence.
(d) She is dead.
4. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
5. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(b) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(c) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(d) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
6. Who or what is Peggy?
(a) Captain Elias's peg leg.
(b) A character in Poe's story.
(c) The boat used to try to rescue Sis.
(d) A bar maid.
7. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(b) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(c) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(d) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
8. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Add a prologue.
(b) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) Throw it onto the ground.
(d) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
9. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
(a) The same prologue that begins Edmund's story.
(b) The beginning of Poe's life.
(c) A note to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) An apology to Edward for his behavior.
10. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
(a) He is more trusting.
(b) He is more Irresponsible.
(c) He is more adult.
(d) He is more child-like.
11. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
(b) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(c) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
(d) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
12. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(b) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(c) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(d) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
13. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(a) A newspaper.
14. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
15. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It plows into Edmund's boat.
(b) It gets away.
(c) It overturns.
(d) It hits a rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
2. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
3. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
4. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
5. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)