|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A corpse.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A button.
2. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
(b) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(c) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(d) Edmund's mother is still alive.
3. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
(a) She is a stronger person than Edmund.
(b) She would have lived longer in his story than in reality.
(c) She will probably not live long.
(d) She did not display courage throughout her abduction.
4. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Poe.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
5. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
(a) A poster advertising a reward for finding Mrs. G. Rachett.
(b) A poster advertising a reward for finding the bank robbers.
(c) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's sister.
(d) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's aunt.
6. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
(b) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
(c) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
(d) Why he was in the cemetery.
7. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(c) Mrs. Powers.
(d) Mrs. Whitman.
8. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(c) Add a prologue.
(d) Throw it onto the ground.
9. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
(b) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(c) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
(d) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
10. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Raven.
(b) The newspaper notices.
(c) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Gold Bug.
11. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The docks.
(b) The bank.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) Edmund's home.
12. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
(a) Peterson is residing at the Hotel American House.
(b) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(c) Peterson can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(d) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
13. What does the style of the novel mimic?
(a) The style of the fairy tales Sis reads.
(b) The style of Poe's romantic stories.
(c) The style of Sherlock Holmes stories.
(d) The style of Poe's detective stories.
14. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(d) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
15. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He dives into the water.
(b) He uses Throck's gun.
(c) He uses Poe's knife.
(d) He offers to trade places with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe believe about Edmund's sister's ultimate fate?
2. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
3. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
4. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
5. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)