|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) His partner, Peterson.
(b) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(b) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
(c) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(d) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
(c) Not succeeding as a writer.
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A mystery story.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A prayer book.
(d) A notebook.
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A button.
(b) A corpse.
(c) A ghost.
6. What does Dupin tell Edmund about Mr. Arnold?
(a) He is Edmund's step-father.
(b) He is Edmund's aunt's murderer.
(c) He is Edmund's father.
(d) He is Edmund's mother's murderer.
7. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) An author.
(b) A detective.
(c) Edmund's father.
(d) Her suitor.
8. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(c) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(d) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
9. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His lack of inner drive.
(b) His careful weighing of his options.
(c) His fierce determination.
(d) His fear of failure.
10. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(c) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(d) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
11. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As a seamstress.
(b) As an accomplice.
(c) As a servant.
(d) As a bargaining tool.
12. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(b) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
(c) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(d) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
13. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
14. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) An elderly man.
(b) A middle-aged man.
(c) A young, fair-haired man.
(d) A bald man.
15. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dupin remind Edmund that Edmund first noticed about his aunt's body?
2. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
3. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
4. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
5. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)