|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
2. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) Too many people oppose their union.
(b) It doesn't fit into his story.
(c) He believes she has lost interest in him.
(d) He has lost interest.
3. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A church.
(c) The docks.
(d) The cemetery.
4. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) A man with dark hair.
(b) Someone he never sees.
(c) A man with white hair.
(d) A ghost.
5. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(b) So she could be held for ransom.
(c) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
(d) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
6. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(c) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(d) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
7. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
8. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(a) A newspaper.
9. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
(a) In a dream.
(b) Throck figured it out first.
(c) Using one of his stories.
(d) While drinking.
10. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) Edmund's home.
(c) The docks.
(d) The bank.
11. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Throck's gun.
(b) He uses Poe's knife.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He dives into the water.
12. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(b) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
(c) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(d) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
13. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
(a) Peterson and Rachett.
(b) Captain Elias and Rachett.
(c) Fortnoy and Throck.
(d) Captain Elias and Fortnoy.
14. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
(a) The newspaper the food is wrapped in.
(b) His notebook.
(c) His wallet.
(d) An encoded message.
15. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Pose for her.
(b) Do a drawing of her face.
(c) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(d) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
2. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
3. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
4. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
5. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)