|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Gold Bug.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The newspaper notices.
2. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He was rehabilitated.
(b) He was not a famous author.
(c) He had a son named Edmund.
(d) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
3. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
(a) An apology to Edward for his behavior.
(b) The beginning of Poe's life.
(c) A note to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) The same prologue that begins Edmund's story.
4. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
(b) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
(c) He is mainly concerned with his story.
(d) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
5. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
(b) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
(c) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
(d) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
6. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
7. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Edmund's dead aunt.
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
8. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
(a) Peterson and Rachett.
(b) Fortnoy and Throck.
(c) Captain Elias and Rachett.
(d) Captain Elias and Fortnoy.
9. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A prayer book.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A mystery story.
(d) A notebook.
10. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As an accomplice.
(b) As a seamstress.
(c) As a bargaining tool.
(d) As a servant.
11. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Edmund's father.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
12. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) Too many people oppose their union.
(b) He believes she has lost interest in him.
(c) He has lost interest.
(d) It doesn't fit into his story.
13. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
14. Who or what is Peggy?
(a) The boat used to try to rescue Sis.
(b) Captain Elias's peg leg.
(c) A bar maid.
(d) A character in Poe's story.
15. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Mrs. Powers.
(d) Mrs. Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
2. What does Poe believe about Edmund's sister's ultimate fate?
3. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
4. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
5. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)