|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This novel combines _____.
(a) A made-up character named Poe with other real authors' fictional characters.
(b) True details about Poe and made-up details about Poe's fictional characters.
(c) True historical details about Poe and true details about Poe's fictional characters.
(d) A made-up character named Poe with made-up characters.
2. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(b) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(c) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(d) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
3. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(b) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(d) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
4. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Not succeeding as a writer.
(c) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
5. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
6. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(d) A newspaper.
7. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(a) No one.
(c) Edmund's mother.
8. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(c) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(d) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
9. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(b) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(c) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(d) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
10. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(b) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
(c) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(d) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
11. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
(a) Sis's book.
(b) The gold bars stolen from the bank.
(c) Wads of cash.
(d) Poe's story.
12. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a picture.
(b) It is a drink.
(c) It is a ship.
(d) It is a story.
13. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
(a) While drinking.
(b) Throck figured it out first.
(c) In a dream.
(d) Using one of his stories.
14. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(b) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(c) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(d) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
15. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(b) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(c) So she could be held for ransom.
(d) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
2. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
3. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
4. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
5. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)