|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A ghost.
(c) A button.
(d) A corpse.
2. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
(a) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Peterson is residing at the Hotel American House.
(c) Peterson can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(d) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
3. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The newspaper notices.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The Gold Bug.
(d) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
4. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Edmund's father.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
5. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
6. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It gets away.
(b) It hits a rock.
(c) It plows into Edmund's boat.
(d) It overturns.
7. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His fear of failure.
(b) His lack of inner drive.
(c) His fierce determination.
(d) His careful weighing of his options.
8. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
(b) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(c) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(d) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
9. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
(a) A poster advertising a reward for finding the bank robbers.
(b) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's sister.
(c) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's aunt.
(d) A poster advertising a reward for finding Mrs. G. Rachett.
10. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
(a) Whether he is really a writer.
(b) Whether he was really trying to save Sis.
(c) Whether he really had a wife named Sis.
(d) Whether his name is really Poe.
11. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is Mr. Whitman.
(b) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) He is a drunkard.
(d) He is very wealthy.
12. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A notebook.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A mystery story.
(d) A prayer book.
13. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) His partner, Peterson.
(b) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
(c) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
(d) Edmund's sister.
14. What does the style of the novel mimic?
(a) The style of Poe's romantic stories.
(b) The style of Poe's detective stories.
(c) The style of Sherlock Holmes stories.
(d) The style of the fairy tales Sis reads.
15. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) A young, fair-haired man.
(b) A middle-aged man.
(c) A bald man.
(d) An elderly man.
Short Answer Questions
1. This novel combines _____.
2. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
3. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
4. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
5. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)