|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(b) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(c) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
(d) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
2. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
3. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(b) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(c) So she could be held for ransom.
(d) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
4. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As an accomplice.
(b) As a seamstress.
(c) As a servant.
(d) As a bargaining tool.
5. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He was rehabilitated.
(b) He had a son named Edmund.
(c) He was not a famous author.
(d) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
6. With whom is Dupin's first encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Edmund's dead aunt.
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
7. What does Mrs. Whitman tells her guests that Dupin/Poe is?
(a) A detective.
(b) Her suitor.
(c) Edmund's father.
(d) An author.
8. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(d) A newspaper.
9. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a cemetery.
(b) In a saloon.
(c) In a bank.
(d) In a church.
10. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(b) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(c) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(d) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
11. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) A middle-aged man.
(b) A young, fair-haired man.
(c) A bald man.
(d) An elderly man.
12. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
(a) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(c) Peterson is residing at the Hotel American House.
(d) Peterson can be reached at the Providence Bank.
13. While his mother sleeps, what does Edmund ask Poe to do?
(a) Write a happier ending to his story.
(b) Take care of his mother.
(c) Give him money for food.
(d) Help him find his sister.
14. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Throw it onto the ground.
(c) Add a prologue.
(d) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
15. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Raven.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The newspaper notices.
(d) The Gold Bug.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Poe arrives at the scene where Edmund is trying to rescue his sister, how does he say he figured out the meaning of the decoded message?
2. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
3. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
4. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
5. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)