|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(b) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
(c) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(d) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
2. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
(a) He is knocked into the harbor.
(b) He is taken onto the ship.
(c) He is tied up.
(d) He is knocked unconscious.
3. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(b) So she could be held for ransom.
(c) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
(d) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
4. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
(a) A kitchen knife.
(b) Poe's gun.
(c) Throck's gun.
(d) Poe's knife.
5. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
(a) Wads of cash.
(b) The gold bars stolen from the bank.
(c) Poe's story.
(d) Sis's book.
6. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It was placed by Rachett.
7. This novel combines _____.
(a) A made-up character named Poe with other real authors' fictional characters.
(b) True historical details about Poe and true details about Poe's fictional characters.
(c) A made-up character named Poe with made-up characters.
(d) True details about Poe and made-up details about Poe's fictional characters.
8. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Gold Bug.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The newspaper notices.
(d) The Raven.
9. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
(b) He was rehabilitated.
(c) He was not a famous author.
(d) He had a son named Edmund.
10. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(b) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
(c) If he is a drunkard.
(d) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
11. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
12. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(b) Withholding his liquor.
(c) Offering to help him write his story.
(d) Threatening to tear up his story.
13. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) A church.
(b) The docks.
(c) A saloon.
(d) The cemetery.
14. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
(b) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
(c) Why he was in the cemetery.
(d) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
15. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Mrs. Powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
2. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
3. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
4. What does the style of the novel mimic?
5. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)