|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
(a) It is less important than writing his story.
(b) It is only worth it to him if Edmund keeps him supplied with liquor.
(c) It is more important that writing his story.
(d) It is pointless because she is probably dead.
2. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) Someone he never sees.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A man with white hair.
(d) A man with dark hair.
3. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(b) Not succeeding as a writer.
(c) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
4. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(b) Threatening to tear up his story.
(c) Offering to help him write his story.
(d) Withholding his liquor.
5. When they return to Edmund's room after Edmund is attacked, what does Dupin tell Edmund to find?
(a) The newspaper the food is wrapped in.
(b) His wallet.
(c) An encoded message.
(d) His notebook.
6. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) It doesn't fit into his story.
(b) He has lost interest.
(c) He believes she has lost interest in him.
(d) Too many people oppose their union.
7. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
(a) Candles and matches.
(c) A meat pie.
(d) A newspaper.
8. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(b) No one.
(d) Edmund's mother.
9. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why he was in the cemetery.
(b) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
(c) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
(d) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
10. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
(a) He is suicidal.
(b) He has a new lease on life.
(c) He is determined to help others.
(d) He has given up on life.
11. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Add a prologue.
(b) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(c) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Throw it onto the ground.
12. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(a) Mrs. Powers.
(b) Mrs. Whitman.
13. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Withholding his liquor.
(b) Bribing him.
(c) Giving him liquor.
(d) Threatening to tear up his story.
14. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Edmund's father.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
15. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a story.
(b) It is a picture.
(c) It is a drink.
(d) It is a ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
2. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
3. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
4. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
5. Who or what is Peggy?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)