|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(d) A newspaper.
2. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
3. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
(a) Whether he is really a writer.
(b) Whether he was really trying to save Sis.
(c) Whether he really had a wife named Sis.
(d) Whether his name is really Poe.
4. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
(a) Candles and matches.
(b) A newspaper.
(d) A meat pie.
5. When Edmund figures out where his sister is, who accompanies him to rescue her?
(b) Edmund's mother.
(d) No one.
6. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Poley.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Poe.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
7. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
(a) He is more trusting.
(b) He is more child-like.
(c) He is more adult.
(d) He is more Irresponsible.
8. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(b) A sleeping bag.
(c) A straw mattress.
(d) A coffin.
9. What does Dupin use to decipher the encoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(b) The Raven.
(c) The newspaper notices.
(d) The Gold Bug.
10. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His fierce determination.
(b) His lack of inner drive.
(c) His fear of failure.
(d) His careful weighing of his options.
11. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Poe's knife.
(b) He dives into the water.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He uses Throck's gun.
12. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It overturns.
(b) It gets away.
(c) It plows into Edmund's boat.
(d) It hits a rock.
13. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
(b) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(c) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
(d) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
14. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
(b) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
(c) He is mainly concerned with his story.
(d) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
15. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
(a) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's sister.
(b) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's aunt.
(c) A poster advertising a reward for finding the bank robbers.
(d) A poster advertising a reward for finding Mrs. G. Rachett.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poe believe about Edmund's sister's ultimate fate?
2. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
3. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
4. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
5. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)