|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
(a) He has lost interest.
(b) It doesn't fit into his story.
(c) Too many people oppose their union.
(d) He believes she has lost interest in him.
2. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
(b) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
(c) Why he was in the cemetery.
(d) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
3. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Poe's knife.
(b) He offers to trade places with her.
(c) He dives into the water.
(d) He uses Throck's gun.
4. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) An elderly man.
(b) A middle-aged man.
(c) A bald man.
(d) A young, fair-haired man.
5. What is in the prologue of Poe's story?
(a) An apology to Edward for his behavior.
(b) A note to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) The same prologue that begins Edmund's story.
(d) The beginning of Poe's life.
6. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The bank.
(b) Edmund's home.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The docks.
7. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(c) A newspaper.
8. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
(a) Try to give Edmund a better ending to his own story.
(b) Try to make Edmund as unhappy as he is.
(c) Relate to Edmund's twin sister as well.
(d) Think of himself as Edmund's father.
9. When introducing him to her guests, how does Mrs. Whitman refer to Dupin?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Edmund's father.
10. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was placed by Rachett.
(b) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(c) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(d) It was placed by Peterson.
11. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(c) Mr. Poe.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
12. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
(a) A poster advertising a reward for finding Mrs. G. Rachett.
(b) A poster advertising a reward for finding the bank robbers.
(c) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's aunt.
(d) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's sister.
13. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a bank.
(c) In a cemetery.
(d) In a saloon.
14. After Edmund's mother is recovered, what does Poe think about finding Edmund's sister?
(a) It is pointless because she is probably dead.
(b) It is only worth it to him if Edmund keeps him supplied with liquor.
(c) It is more important that writing his story.
(d) It is less important than writing his story.
15. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Threatening to tear up his story.
(b) Giving him liquor.
(c) Bribing him.
(d) Withholding his liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
2. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
3. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
4. What does the style of the novel mimic?
5. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)