|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(c) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(d) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
2. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
(a) Edmund's aunt is still alive.
(b) Edmund's mother is still alive.
(c) Both Edmund's aunt and his mother are dead.
(d) Either Edmund's aunt or his mother is still alive.
3. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(b) Do a drawing of her face.
(c) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
(d) Pose for her.
4. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
(a) Candles and matches.
(b) A meat pie.
(d) A newspaper.
5. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(b) It was placed by Peterson.
(c) It was placed by Rachett.
(d) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
6. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As an accomplice.
(b) As a servant.
(c) As a seamstress.
(d) As a bargaining tool.
7. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Add a prologue.
(b) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) Throw it onto the ground.
(d) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
8. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
(c) His partner, Peterson.
(d) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
9. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(b) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(d) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
10. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is a drunkard.
(b) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) He is Mr. Whitman.
(d) He is very wealthy.
11. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) Edmund's home.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The bank.
(d) The docks.
12. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
13. What does the style of the novel mimic?
(a) The style of Sherlock Holmes stories.
(b) The style of Poe's romantic stories.
(c) The style of Poe's detective stories.
(d) The style of the fairy tales Sis reads.
14. For what reason does Dupin believe Edmund's sister was abducted?
(a) So she could assist with the bank robbery.
(b) So she could lead Rachett to Edward's mother.
(c) So she could lead Edmund out of his room.
(d) So she could be held for ransom.
15. What happens to the ship Edmund's sister was on?
(a) It overturns.
(b) It hits a rock.
(c) It gets away.
(d) It plows into Edmund's boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
2. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
3. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
4. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
5. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)