|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Add a prologue.
(b) Throw it onto the ground.
(c) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(d) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
2. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
(b) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
(c) He is mainly concerned with his story.
(d) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
3. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Mrs. Powers.
4. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(b) A newspaper.
5. What does Mr. Arnold ask Dupin at Mrs. Whitman's home?
(a) Why a man would order a coat and then not buy it.
(b) Why his stories all deal with gruesome deaths.
(c) Why he is trying to steal Helen away from him.
(d) Why he was in the cemetery.
6. What does Mrs. Whitman ask Dupin to do in front of her guests?
(a) Have a type of photograph of his face made.
(b) Keep a picture of her in his wallet.
(c) Pose for her.
(d) Do a drawing of her face.
7. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He uses Throck's gun.
(b) He dives into the water.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He uses Poe's knife.
8. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By shouting out.
(b) By pretending to have a weapon.
(c) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
(d) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
9. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The bank.
(c) Edmund's home.
(d) The docks.
10. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It was placed by Rachett.
11. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
12. Who does Mrs. Powers want her daughter to marry?
(a) Mr. Peterson.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
13. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
(c) Not succeeding as a writer.
14. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
(b) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(d) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
15. Where does Edmund go to find his sister?
(a) A saloon.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The docks.
(d) A church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
2. At the end of the story, how has Edmund changed?
3. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
4. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
5. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)