|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Poe's actions at the end of the novel demonstrate?
(a) He is determined to help others.
(b) He has given up on life.
(c) He is suicidal.
(d) He has a new lease on life.
2. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
(b) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
(c) If he is a drunkard.
(d) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
3. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
(a) Fortnoy and Throck.
(b) Peterson and Rachett.
(c) Captain Elias and Fortnoy.
(d) Captain Elias and Rachett.
4. What does Poe believe when he first sees Edmund with his mother?
(a) He believes that Edmund's mother is a ghost.
(b) He is shocked that Edmund's mother is alive.
(c) He believes that Edmund's mother is his aunt.
(d) He believes the characters he's writing about have come to life.
5. What truth does Edmund demand of Poe before they part ways?
(a) Whether his name is really Poe.
(b) Whether he is really a writer.
(c) Whether he was really trying to save Sis.
(d) Whether he really had a wife named Sis.
6. At the tavern, what does Throck tell Edmund?
(a) He does not know where Edmund's sister is.
(b) He knows where Edmund's sister is.
(c) Edmund's mother hired him to find his aunt.
(d) Edmund's aunt hired him to find his mother.
7. When he stops on his way to the cemetery, what does Dupin imagine that he sees?
8. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
(a) It is a ship.
(b) It is a picture.
(c) It is a drink.
(d) It is a story.
9. What does Edmund see on the tavern wall?
(a) A poster advertising a reward for finding the bank robbers.
(b) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's aunt.
(c) A poster advertising a reward for finding Mrs. G. Rachett.
(d) A poster advertising a ransom for the return of Edmund's sister.
10. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
(a) A kitchen knife.
(b) Poe's gun.
(c) Poe's knife.
(d) Throck's gun.
11. What does Poe do with his story before walking away?
(a) Give it to Edmund as a gift.
(b) Throw it onto the ground.
(c) Dedicate it to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Add a prologue.
12. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A prayer book.
(c) A notebook.
(d) A mystery story.
13. At the docks, who is Edmund pursued by?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A man with white hair.
(c) Someone he never sees.
(d) A man with dark hair.
14. What does Dupin see from the bell tower?
(a) The docks.
(b) Edmund's home.
(c) The bank.
(d) The cemetery.
15. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As an accomplice.
(b) As a bargaining tool.
(c) As a seamstress.
(d) As a servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
2. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
3. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
4. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
5. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)