|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund buy at the tavern for himself and his mother?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) Candles and matches.
(d) A meat pie.
2. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
(a) She did not display courage throughout her abduction.
(b) She is a stronger person than Edmund.
(c) She will probably not live long.
(d) She would have lived longer in his story than in reality.
3. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(c) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
(d) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A prayer book.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A mystery story.
5. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A button.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A corpse.
6. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with his story.
(b) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
(c) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
(d) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
7. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(d) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
8. As Edmund is spying on Dupin near the cemetery, whom does he see emerge from the Hotel American House and enter Mrs. Whitman's house?
9. Who or what is Peggy?
(a) A character in Poe's story.
(b) The boat used to try to rescue Sis.
(c) Captain Elias's peg leg.
(d) A bar maid.
10. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
11. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
(d) Not succeeding as a writer.
12. What does the style of the novel mimic?
(a) The style of Poe's detective stories.
(b) The style of Sherlock Holmes stories.
(c) The style of Poe's romantic stories.
(d) The style of the fairy tales Sis reads.
13. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A straw mattress.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) A sleeping bag.
14. While his mother sleeps, what does Edmund ask Poe to do?
(a) Write a happier ending to his story.
(b) Take care of his mother.
(c) Give him money for food.
(d) Help him find his sister.
15. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(b) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It was placed by Rachett.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
2. Given what he learns at the portrait studio, what does Dupin come to believe?
3. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
4. Why does Poe believe he will not marry Mrs. Whitman at the end of the novel?
5. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)