|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Poe believe about Edmund's sister's ultimate fate?
(a) She should be rescued.
(b) It should be the same as Poe's wife's.
(c) It is too late to save her.
(d) She deserves to die.
2. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
(a) A straw mattress.
(b) Edmund's sister.
(c) A sleeping bag.
(d) A coffin.
3. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
(b) A newspaper.
4. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His lack of inner drive.
(b) His fear of failure.
(c) His fierce determination.
(d) His careful weighing of his options.
5. How does Throck convince Poe to help him and Edmund find Edmund's sister?
(a) Giving him liquor.
(b) Bribing him.
(c) Withholding his liquor.
(d) Threatening to tear up his story.
6. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A prayer book.
(b) A mystery story.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A notebook.
7. When Edmund follows Dupin to see if he will meet Mrs. Whitman in the cemetery, Dupin first goes into a _____.
8. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
(a) Captain Elias and Fortnoy.
(b) Captain Elias and Rachett.
(c) Fortnoy and Throck.
(d) Peterson and Rachett.
9. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
(d) Not succeeding as a writer.
10. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
11. What does Poe tell Edmund about his sister at the end of the story?
(a) She is a stronger person than Edmund.
(b) She did not display courage throughout her abduction.
(c) She would have lived longer in his story than in reality.
(d) She will probably not live long.
12. What does another of the notices say?
(a) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
(b) Arnold can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(c) Arnold is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(d) Arnold resides at the Hotel American House.
13. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Rachett.
(d) It was placed by Peterson.
14. At the end, what does Edmund come to realize about Poe's agenda?
(a) He is mainly concerned with courting Mrs. Whitman.
(b) He is mainly concerned with giving up alcohol.
(c) He is mainly concerned with helping Edmund.
(d) He is mainly concerned with his story.
15. With whom is Dupin's second encounter at the cemetery?
(b) Mrs. Powers.
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
Short Answer Questions
1. This novel combines _____.
2. Who or what is Peggy?
3. Where is Edmund reunited with his mother?
4. What does seeing himself in Edmund lead Poe to do?
5. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)