|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(d) She followed her husband to Providence.
2. What does Edmund see in the mausoleum?
(a) A button.
(b) A ghost.
(d) A corpse.
3. What does Poe's style of courting Mrs. Whitman reflect?
(a) His careful weighing of his options.
(b) His lack of inner drive.
(c) His fierce determination.
(d) His fear of failure.
4. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A notebook.
(b) A mystery story.
(c) A prayer book.
(d) A Bible.
5. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
(a) The gold bars stolen from the bank.
(b) Wads of cash.
(c) Sis's book.
(d) Poe's story.
6. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
(a) A middle-aged man.
(b) A bald man.
(c) An elderly man.
(d) A young, fair-haired man.
7. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
(b) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(c) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(d) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
8. This novel combines _____.
(a) A made-up character named Poe with other real authors' fictional characters.
(b) True historical details about Poe and true details about Poe's fictional characters.
(c) A made-up character named Poe with made-up characters.
(d) True details about Poe and made-up details about Poe's fictional characters.
9. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
(a) Peterson can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(b) Peterson is residing at the Hotel American House.
(c) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(d) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
10. What does Dupin find in the mausoleum?
(a) A sleeping bag.
(b) A coffin.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) A straw mattress.
11. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
(a) He is knocked unconscious.
(b) He is taken onto the ship.
(c) He is tied up.
(d) He is knocked into the harbor.
12. While Dupin is at Mrs. Whitman's home, what does Captain Elias tell Edmund at the docks?
(a) Captain Elias found the body floating in the harbor.
(b) Fortnoy found the body floating in the harbor.
(c) Elias suspects Fortnoy of foul play.
(d) Elias witnessed Fortnoy committing murder.
13. What does Dupin learn at the portrait studio?
(a) Edmund's mother and aunt both resemble Edmund's sister.
(b) Edmund's mother and aunt are twins.
(c) Edmund's mother and aunt are the same person.
(d) Edmund's mother and aunt look nothing alike.
14. Why is the decoded message Edmund found at Mrs. Whitman's house unclear?
(a) Sunset is not at 6:00 P.M.
(b) Sunrise is not at 7:00 A.M.
(c) Sunset is not at 7:00 P.M.
(d) Sunrise is not at 6:00 A.M.
15. How do the kidnappers plan to use Edmund's sister?
(a) As a bargaining tool.
(b) As a seamstress.
(c) As a servant.
(d) As an accomplice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund realizes about the meaning of the word "Sunrise" in the decoded message?
2. When Edmund arrives to rescue his sister, who is trying to take her away?
3. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
4. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
5. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)