Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dupin surprised to learn that Captain Elias told Edmund?
(a) Fortnoy was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(b) Captain Elias was keeping watch at the time of the murder.
(c) The Lady Liberty does not exist.
(d) The S.S. Freedom does not exist.
2. What does one of the newspaper notices say?
(a) Peterson can be reached at the Providence Bank.
(b) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's mother.
(c) Peterson is residing at the Hotel American House.
(d) Peterson is demanding a ransom for Edmund's sister.
3. While his mother sleeps, what does Edmund ask Poe to do?
(a) Write a happier ending to his story.
(b) Take care of his mother.
(c) Help him find his sister.
(d) Give him money for food.
4. What does Dupin admit to Edmund about himself?
(a) He is very wealthy.
(b) He is Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) He is a drunkard.
(d) He is Mr. Whitman.
5. How does Edmund convince Poe to help him find his sister?
(a) Complimenting him on his detective skills.
(b) Threatening to tear up his story.
(c) Withholding his liquor.
(d) Offering to help him write his story.
6. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about Arnold's classified ad?
(a) It brought Rachett and Peterson together.
(b) It was intended to get a reaction from Edmund's aunt.
(c) It was placed by Peterson.
(d) It was placed by Rachett.
7. Who is the man who hits Edmund with a gun?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Mr. Rachett.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
8. Who does Dupin tell Edmund that Rachett has killed?
(a) His partner, Peterson.
(b) Edmund's aunt, believing her to be Edmund's mother.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) Edmund's mother, believing her to be Edmund's aunt.
9. What does Edmund do to save his sister?
(a) He dives into the water.
(b) He uses Throck's gun.
(c) He offers to trade places with her.
(d) He uses Poe's knife.
10. How does Edmund escape his pursuer at the docks?
(a) By crawling along the underside of a wharf.
(b) By pretending to have a weapon.
(c) By jumping into the harbor and swimming away.
(d) By shouting out.
11. What happened to Poe in real life?
(a) He had a son named Edmund.
(b) He was not a famous author.
(c) He was rehabilitated.
(d) He declined into depression and alcoholism.
12. What does Throck ask Edmund about Poe?
(a) If he is looking for Edmund's sister.
(b) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's mother.
(c) If he is a drunkard.
(d) If he is getting the reward money for finding Edward's aunt.
13. What does Dupin NOT tell Edmund about his mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She followed her husband to Providence.
(c) She has been held captive by Rachett.
(d) She sent an urgent message to her sister.
14. As they are saying goodbye, what does Edmund accuse Poe of being afraid of?
(a) Telling Mrs. Whitman his true feelings.
(c) Not succeeding as a writer.
15. What kind of book does the person Edmund sees at the cemetery drop?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A mystery story.
(d) A prayer book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund bring with him to rescue his sister?
2. According to Dupin, from whom did Rachett learn about the gold in the vault?
3. When he returns to the cemetery to find Dupin, who does Edmund see?
4. What is lost from the ship besides the two men aboard?
5. What happens to Edmund when he confronts his sister's kidnapper?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)