|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Remain unmarried.
(c) Marry Mr. Poe.
(d) Marry Mr. Arnold.
2. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupine.
(b) August Dupine.
(c) Auguste Dupin.
(d) August Dupin.
3. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Help him get a job.
(b) Help him write a story.
(c) Solve a mystery.
(d) Deliver a letter.
4. What is the food Edmund buys for himself and his sister wrapped in?
(c) Waxed paper.
5. The first time Edmund and Dupin go to the saloon together, what do they learn?
(a) A woman was killed by the docks.
(b) Sis was abducted from her room.
(c) The Providence Bank has been robbed.
(d) A man named Smith rented the room across from Edmund's.
6. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) Their parents are out for the evening.
(d) They are orphans.
7. Who is Throck?
(a) A ship's captain.
(b) A night watchman.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A sailor.
8. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Stay inside.
(b) Go out to buy food.
(c) Beg for food.
(d) Look for a job.
9. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A writer.
(b) A delivery man.
(c) A postal worker.
(d) A carpet salesman.
10. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(b) Mr. Poley.
(c) The police.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
11. When Edmund enters his room with the food for himself and his sister, what state is his sister in?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She is in tears.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is missing.
12. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(b) Looking for her sister.
(d) Begging for food.
13. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(b) A piece of string.
(c) A corpse.
14. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He was lost at sea.
(c) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(d) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
15. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
(a) Hercule Parrot.
(b) Hercules Poirot.
(c) Hercule Poirot.
(d) Hercules Parrot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the children feeling when the novel begins?
2. What street does Edmund live on?
3. Where do the children live?
4. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
5. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)