|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
(a) Give Edmund money for food.
(b) Help Edmund find his sister.
(c) Help Edmund write a story.
(d) Help Edmund commit a crime.
2. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
(a) A fictional criminal influenced by Poe's character.
(b) A fictional detective influenced by Poe's character.
(c) A real-life detective from the nineteenth century.
(d) A real-life criminal from the nineteenth century.
3. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The American Motel.
(b) The Hotel American House.
(c) The American Apartments.
(d) The American Inn.
4. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(b) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is too young.
5. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Nursery rhymes.
6. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(a) A detective.
7. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
(a) Remain unmarried.
(b) Marry Mr. Arnold.
(c) Marry Mr. Poe.
(d) Get a divorce.
8. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Magic and realism.
(b) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
(c) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(d) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
9. What does Dupin want Edmund to find out at the docks?
(a) Whether Mrs. Powers will consent to Dupin's courting of Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Whether Sis is hiding on a ship.
(c) Whether Captain Elias was involved in a murder.
(d) Whether there's a ship called The Lady Liberty.
10. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(a) Not revealed.
11. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Solve the bank robbery.
(b) Murder Edmund.
(c) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(d) Murder Edmund's sister.
12. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
(a) Wits, evidence, and the powers of reason.
(b) Forensic evidence and laboratory results.
(c) Humor and seriousness.
(d) Passion and reason.
13. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
(a) If their aunt returns, Sis will take responsibility for his leaving.
(b) She won't go out while he's gone.
(c) She'll call a neighbor if she needs help.
(d) She'll let him have most of the food he buys.
14. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) A piece of string.
(b) Edmund's sister.
(c) A corpse.
15. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
(a) The novel's's setting.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) A missing mother and aunt.
(d) Edmund and his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
2. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
3. In what year does the story take place?
4. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
5. What is the children's room like?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)