|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the clothier's shop, what does the large man do when he sees Edmund?
(a) Offers to buy him a coat.
(b) Rushes out of the store.
(c) Ignores him.
(d) Warns him to stay away from Dupin.
2. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He's forgotten his key.
(b) The door is still locked from the outside.
(c) He forgot to lock the door.
(d) His sister has opened the door.
3. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edward Grey.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Edgar Grey.
(d) Edmund Grey.
4. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Look for a job.
(b) Beg for food.
(c) Stay inside.
(d) Go out to buy food.
5. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) An inn.
(b) A corner store.
(c) A pastry shop.
(d) A saloon.
6. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
(a) Hercules Poirot.
(b) Hercule Poirot.
(c) Hercules Parrot.
(d) Hercule Parrot.
7. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
(a) Find his aunt.
(b) Find his mother.
(c) Find his sister.
(d) Find more food.
8. What is the children's room like?
9. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Remain unmarried.
(c) Marry Mr. Arnold.
(d) Marry Mr. Poe.
10. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
11. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) It is a message from Edmund's sister.
(b) It is a message to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) It is a message to Dupin.
(d) It is unreadable.
12. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
(a) Edmund and his sister.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) The novel's's setting.
(d) A missing mother and aunt.
13. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(b) A maid.
(d) Mrs. Whitman.
14. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
(b) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
(c) An important clue.
(d) Not to get involved.
15. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(d) A detective.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
2. Where does the story take place?
3. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
4. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
5. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)