|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(b) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He was lost at sea.
2. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
(a) Wickenden Street.
(b) Shamrock Street.
(c) Ann Street.
(d) Windemere Street.
3. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) Their parents are out for the evening.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
(d) They are orphans.
4. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Sherlock Holmes.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) William Shakespeare.
5. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(b) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(c) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(d) Killing Edmund's mother.
6. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He's forgotten his key.
(b) The door is still locked from the outside.
(c) His sister has opened the door.
(d) He forgot to lock the door.
7. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
(a) The Raven.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The Gold Bug.
(d) The Metamorphosis.
8. When Edmund sees the corpse at the docks, at the beginning of the story, who does he identify her as?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His father.
9. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
(a) A photograph of his sister.
(b) A drawing of his sister.
(c) A drawing of his aunt and mother.
(d) A photograph of his aunt and mother.
10. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edward Grey.
(b) Edmund Grey.
(c) Edgar Grey.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
11. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) She is too young.
(b) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(c) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(d) She is ill.
12. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
(a) By bus.
(b) He runs.
(c) By bicycle.
(d) He walks.
13. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) It is unreadable.
(b) It is a message to Dupin.
(c) It is a message to Mrs. Whitman.
(d) It is a message from Edmund's sister.
14. What does Edmund call his sister?
15. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) Mr. Arnold.
(b) Mr. Poley.
(c) Mr. Rachett.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
2. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
3. In what year does the story take place?
4. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
5. As he prepares to meet Mrs. Whitman, who does Dupin tell Edmund he believes Edmund's aunt's murderer is?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)