|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund call his sister?
2. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
(a) She won't go out while he's gone.
(b) She'll let him have most of the food he buys.
(c) If their aunt returns, Sis will take responsibility for his leaving.
(d) She'll call a neighbor if she needs help.
3. When Edmund first mentions Rachett's name, where does Dupin remember hearing the name?
(a) The inquest.
(b) The clothing store.
(c) The docks.
(d) The tavern.
4. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
(a) Find his sister.
(b) Find more food.
(c) Find his aunt.
(d) Find his mother.
5. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
(a) The Metamorphosis.
(b) The Gold Bug.
(c) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Raven.
6. What is the children's room like?
7. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, where does Mrs. Whitman tell Edmund to have Dupin meet her?
(a) At the tavern.
(b) At the docks.
(c) At the cemetery behind her house.
(d) At the courthouse.
8. In what month does the story begin?
9. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
(a) A message to Edmund.
(b) A story based on Edmund's situation.
(c) Dupin's true identity.
(d) A message to Mrs. Whitman.
10. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
(a) Passion and reason.
(b) Wits, evidence, and the powers of reason.
(c) Forensic evidence and laboratory results.
(d) Humor and seriousness.
11. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He was lost at sea.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(d) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
12. Where do the children live?
(a) In a tenement.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) Above a saloon.
(d) In a cozy house.
13. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(b) Begging for food.
(c) Looking for her sister.
14. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(a) A detective.
15. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) Nothing is stolen.
(b) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
(c) The victim's real name is unclear.
(d) Edmund may be guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dupin first meets Throck, what does he observes about him?
2. The first time Edmund and Dupin go to the saloon together, what do they learn?
3. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
4. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
5. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)