|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the clothier's shop, what does the large man do when he sees Edmund?
(a) Ignores him.
(b) Warns him to stay away from Dupin.
(c) Rushes out of the store.
(d) Offers to buy him a coat.
2. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, where does Mrs. Whitman tell Edmund to have Dupin meet her?
(a) At the tavern.
(b) At the docks.
(c) At the cemetery behind her house.
(d) At the courthouse.
3. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
(b) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
(c) An important clue.
(d) Not to get involved.
4. Where does the story take place?
(a) London, England.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) Providence, Rhode Island.
5. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(b) A detective.
6. When Dupin first meets Throck, what does he observes about him?
(a) He is a former military man.
(b) He is a former detective.
(c) He is a former convict.
(d) He is a father.
7. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
(a) Through a trap door in the floor.
(b) Through the chimney.
(c) Through the front door.
(d) Through the window.
8. In what year does the story take place?
9. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
10. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupine.
(b) August Dupin.
(c) August Dupine.
(d) Auguste Dupin.
11. As he prepares to meet Mrs. Whitman, who does Dupin tell Edmund he believes Edmund's aunt's murderer is?
12. What street does Edmund live on?
(a) Shamrock Street.
(b) Wickenden Street.
(c) Windemere Street.
(d) Ann Street.
13. After they discuss Edmund's step-father, who does Dupin send Edmund to speak to at the docks?
(a) Captain Elias.
(c) Mr. Peterson.
(d) Mrs. Powers.
14. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A postal worker.
(b) A writer.
(c) A carpet salesman.
(d) A delivery man.
15. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(b) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(c) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(d) Killing Edmund's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
2. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
3. In what month does the story begin?
4. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
5. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)