Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The book's prologue is particularly engaging for its target audience of _____.
(a) Amateur detectives.
(d) Professional detectives.
2. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
(a) Ann Street.
(b) Windemere Street.
(c) Shamrock Street.
(d) Wickenden Street.
3. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) A corpse.
(c) Edmund's sister.
(d) A piece of string.
4. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
(a) If their aunt returns, Sis will take responsibility for his leaving.
(b) She'll call a neighbor if she needs help.
(c) She'll let him have most of the food he buys.
(d) She won't go out while he's gone.
5. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A corner store.
(c) An inn.
(d) A pastry shop.
6. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He forgot to lock the door.
(b) The door is still locked from the outside.
(c) He's forgotten his key.
(d) His sister has opened the door.
7. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Nursery rhymes.
8. How are the children feeling when the novel begins?
9. When Dupin identifies Rachett as Edmund's step-father, what does Edmund tell him about the reason his mother came to America?
(a) To get a divorce.
(b) To get married.
(c) To find her sister.
(d) To get a better job.
10. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupin.
(b) Auguste Dupine.
(c) August Dupine.
(d) August Dupin.
11. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Murder Edmund.
(b) Murder Edmund's sister.
(c) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(d) Solve the bank robbery.
12. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A writer.
(b) A postal worker.
(c) A carpet salesman.
(d) A delivery man.
13. Where does the story take place?
(a) Providence, Rhode Island.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) London, England.
14. How much money does Edmund have at the beginning of the story?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A penny.
(d) A dollar.
15. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
(b) Edmund may be guilty.
(c) Nothing is stolen.
(d) The victim's real name is unclear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
2. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
3. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
4. What two things does this novel incorporate?
5. Who first used the locked-room concept?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)