|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the food Edmund buys for himself and his sister wrapped in?
(a) Waxed paper.
2. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) The police.
(d) Mr. Poley.
3. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
(a) Give Edmund money for food.
(b) Help Edmund find his sister.
(c) Help Edmund commit a crime.
(d) Help Edmund write a story.
4. In what year does the story take place?
5. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A writer.
(b) A delivery man.
(c) A postal worker.
(d) A carpet salesman.
6. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
(a) Wits, evidence, and the powers of reason.
(b) Passion and reason.
(c) Forensic evidence and laboratory results.
(d) Humor and seriousness.
7. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Solve the bank robbery.
(b) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(c) Murder Edmund.
(d) Murder Edmund's sister.
8. What street does Edmund live on?
(a) Wickenden Street.
(b) Ann Street.
(c) Shamrock Street.
(d) Windemere Street.
9. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morte.
(b) The Murder in the Rue Morte.
(c) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Murder in the Rue Morgue.
10. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(b) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
(c) Magic and realism.
(d) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
11. Where does the story take place?
(a) Providence, Rhode Island.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) London, England.
12. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, where does Mrs. Whitman tell Edmund to have Dupin meet her?
(a) At the tavern.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) At the docks.
(d) At the cemetery behind her house.
13. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Harry Houdini.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) William Shakespeare.
14. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
(a) A fictional detective influenced by Poe's character.
(b) A fictional criminal influenced by Poe's character.
(c) A real-life detective from the nineteenth century.
(d) A real-life criminal from the nineteenth century.
15. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(a) An accident.
(b) A murder.
(c) A suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
2. Where does Peterson live?
3. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
4. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
5. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)