|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) A pastry shop.
(b) An inn.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A corner store.
2. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(c) Begging for food.
(d) Looking for her sister.
3. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
(a) A message to Mrs. Whitman.
(b) A message to Edmund.
(c) A story based on Edmund's situation.
(d) Dupin's true identity.
4. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(b) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(c) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(d) Killing Edmund's mother.
5. How are the children feeling when the novel begins?
6. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he wants to marry her.
(b) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
(c) If he has given up drinking.
(d) If he is still in town.
7. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
(b) Not to get involved.
(c) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
(d) An important clue.
8. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The American Apartments.
(b) The American Inn.
(c) The American Motel.
(d) The Hotel American House.
9. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Sherlock Holmes.
10. Who is Throck?
(a) A ship's captain.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A night watchman.
11. Where does the story take place?
(a) London, England.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Providence, Rhode Island.
(d) New York, New York.
12. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
(b) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(c) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
(d) Magic and realism.
13. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Beg for food.
(b) Stay inside.
(c) Go out to buy food.
(d) Look for a job.
14. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
(a) Hercules Parrot.
(b) Hercule Parrot.
(c) Hercules Poirot.
(d) Hercule Poirot.
15. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(b) A corpse.
(d) A piece of string.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dupin first meets Throck, what does he observes about him?
2. Who is Auguste Dupin?
3. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
4. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
5. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)