|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
(a) A story based on Edmund's situation.
(b) A message to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) Dupin's true identity.
(d) A message to Edmund.
2. What is the children's room like?
3. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(d) He was lost at sea.
4. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) Edmund may be guilty.
(b) Nothing is stolen.
(c) The victim's real name is unclear.
(d) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
5. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
(a) A photograph of his aunt and mother.
(b) A drawing of his sister.
(c) A drawing of his aunt and mother.
(d) A photograph of his sister.
6. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(b) Solve the bank robbery.
(c) Murder Edmund.
(d) Murder Edmund's sister.
7. After they discuss Edmund's step-father, who does Dupin send Edmund to speak to at the docks?
(a) Mr. Peterson.
(c) Captain Elias.
(d) Mrs. Powers.
8. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
(a) Two days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Two weeks.
9. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupin.
(b) Auguste Dupine.
(c) August Dupine.
(d) August Dupin.
10. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edward Grey.
(b) Edmund Grey.
(c) Edgar Grey.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
11. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) Not to get involved.
(b) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
(c) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
(d) An important clue.
12. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) The door is still locked from the outside.
(b) He's forgotten his key.
(c) He forgot to lock the door.
(d) His sister has opened the door.
13. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Deliver a letter.
(b) Help him write a story.
(c) Help him get a job.
(d) Solve a mystery.
14. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he is still in town.
(b) If he wants to marry her.
(c) If he has given up drinking.
(d) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
15. What does Edmund call his sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
2. Where does Peterson live?
3. Where do the children live?
4. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
5. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)