|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
(a) He walks.
(b) He runs.
(c) By bus.
(d) By bicycle.
2. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he is still in town.
(b) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
(c) If he wants to marry her.
(d) If he has given up drinking.
3. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(c) Begging for food.
(d) Looking for her sister.
4. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Solve the bank robbery.
(b) Murder Edmund's sister.
(c) Murder Edmund.
(d) Find a relative of Edmund's.
5. In what month does the story begin?
6. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
7. Who is Fortnoy?
(a) A ship's captain.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A night watchman.
8. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(c) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(d) He was lost at sea.
9. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
(a) Kidney pie.
10. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(b) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(c) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(d) Killing Edmund's mother.
11. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(b) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
(c) Magic and realism.
(d) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
12. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
(a) The Murder in the Rue Morgue.
(b) The Murder in the Rue Morte.
(c) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Murders in the Rue Morte.
13. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edward Grey.
(b) Edmund Grey.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Edgar Grey.
14. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
(a) A large sum of money.
(b) A trail of blood.
(c) A button from Edmund's sister's shoe.
(d) A written message from Edmund's sister.
15. When Dupin identifies Rachett as Edmund's step-father, what does Edmund tell him about the reason his mother came to America?
(a) To find her sister.
(b) To get married.
(c) To get a divorce.
(d) To get a better job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story take place?
2. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
3. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
4. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
5. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)