|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(c) A piece of string.
(d) A corpse.
2. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
(d) A ghost.
3. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupin.
(b) August Dupine.
(c) August Dupin.
(d) Auguste Dupine.
4. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Edgar Grey.
(c) Edward Grey.
(d) Edmund Grey.
5. The first time Edmund and Dupin go to the saloon together, what do they learn?
(a) A woman was killed by the docks.
(b) A man named Smith rented the room across from Edmund's.
(c) The Providence Bank has been robbed.
(d) Sis was abducted from her room.
6. In what year does the story take place?
7. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) The police.
8. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The Hotel American House.
(b) The American Inn.
(c) The American Apartments.
(d) The American Motel.
9. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
(a) Through the front door.
(b) Through the chimney.
(c) Through a trap door in the floor.
(d) Through the window.
10. When Edmund first mentions Rachett's name, where does Dupin remember hearing the name?
(a) The inquest.
(b) The clothing store.
(c) The tavern.
(d) The docks.
11. The book's prologue is particularly engaging for its target audience of _____.
(a) Amateur detectives.
(d) Professional detectives.
12. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Stay inside.
(b) Beg for food.
(c) Look for a job.
(d) Go out to buy food.
13. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He forgot to lock the door.
(b) He's forgotten his key.
(c) His sister has opened the door.
(d) The door is still locked from the outside.
14. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
(c) Mr. Rachett.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
15. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) A maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
2. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
3. When Dupin first meets Throck, what does he observes about him?
4. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
5. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)