|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Edmund sees the corpse at the docks, at the beginning of the story, who does he identify her as?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His mother.
2. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The American Apartments.
(b) The American Motel.
(c) The American Inn.
(d) The Hotel American House.
3. The book's prologue is particularly engaging for its target audience of _____.
(c) Amateur detectives.
(d) Professional detectives.
4. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(b) Looking for her sister.
(d) Begging for food.
5. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Look for a job.
(b) Beg for food.
(c) Go out to buy food.
(d) Stay inside.
6. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) Their parents are out for the evening.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) They are orphans.
(d) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
7. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
(a) Two days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Two weeks.
8. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Nursery rhymes.
9. Where do the children live?
(a) Above a saloon.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a cozy house.
(d) In a tenement.
10. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he is still in town.
(b) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
(c) If he has given up drinking.
(d) If he wants to marry her.
11. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(c) Mr. Rachett.
12. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(b) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(c) Killing Edmund's mother.
(d) Witnessing the bank robbery.
13. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) Mr. Rachett.
(b) The police.
(c) Mr. Poley.
(d) Mr. Arnold.
14. When Edmund first mentions Rachett's name, where does Dupin remember hearing the name?
(a) The inquest.
(b) The clothing store.
(c) The tavern.
(d) The docks.
15. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
(a) Wickenden Street.
(b) Shamrock Street.
(c) Windemere Street.
(d) Ann Street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does this novel incorporate?
2. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
3. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
4. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
5. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)