|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Dupin leaves the bank, what work by Poe does Peterson tell Dupin that he likes?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(b) The Gold Bug.
(c) The Raven.
(d) The Metamorphosis.
2. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
(b) Magic and realism.
(c) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(d) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
3. The book's prologue is particularly engaging for its target audience of _____.
(a) Amateur detectives.
(c) Professional detectives.
4. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
(a) Help Edmund commit a crime.
(b) Help Edmund find his sister.
(c) Help Edmund write a story.
(d) Give Edmund money for food.
5. What does Edmund call his sister?
6. How are the children feeling when the novel begins?
7. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A pastry shop.
(c) A corner store.
(d) An inn.
8. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
(a) An ad in a newspaper.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A letter from Edmund's mother.
(d) A banker.
9. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A carpet salesman.
(b) A delivery man.
(c) A postal worker.
(d) A writer.
10. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
(a) Find his aunt.
(b) Find more food.
(c) Find his mother.
(d) Find his sister.
11. The first time Edmund and Dupin go to the saloon together, what do they learn?
(a) Sis was abducted from her room.
(b) A man named Smith rented the room across from Edmund's.
(c) The Providence Bank has been robbed.
(d) A woman was killed by the docks.
12. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
(a) A photograph of his aunt and mother.
(b) A drawing of his aunt and mother.
(c) A drawing of his sister.
(d) A photograph of his sister.
13. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
(a) She'll let him have most of the food he buys.
(b) If their aunt returns, Sis will take responsibility for his leaving.
(c) She'll call a neighbor if she needs help.
(d) She won't go out while he's gone.
14. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) She is too young.
(b) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(c) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(d) She is ill.
15. What is the food Edmund buys for himself and his sister wrapped in?
(d) Waxed paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
2. At the clothier's shop, what does the large man do when he sees Edmund?
3. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
4. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
5. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)