|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
(a) Humor and seriousness.
(b) Forensic evidence and laboratory results.
(c) Passion and reason.
(d) Wits, evidence, and the powers of reason.
2. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
(b) The Murders in the Rue Morte.
(c) The Murder in the Rue Morgue.
(d) The Murder in the Rue Morte.
3. After they discuss Edmund's step-father, who does Dupin send Edmund to speak to at the docks?
(b) Mrs. Powers.
(c) Captain Elias.
(d) Mr. Peterson.
4. How are the children feeling when the novel begins?
5. What two things does this novel incorporate?
(a) Police work and amateur sleuthing.
(b) Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot as characters.
(c) Poe's literary methodology and Poe as a fictional character.
(d) Magic and realism.
6. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Not to get involved.
(c) An important clue.
(d) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
7. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Deliver a letter.
(b) Help him write a story.
(c) Solve a mystery.
(d) Help him get a job.
8. When Edmund first mentions Rachett's name, where does Dupin remember hearing the name?
(a) The inquest.
(b) The tavern.
(c) The docks.
(d) The clothing store.
9. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(a) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) A maid.
10. What does Dupin want Edmund to find out at the docks?
(a) Whether Mrs. Powers will consent to Dupin's courting of Mrs. Whitman.
(b) Whether Sis is hiding on a ship.
(c) Whether there's a ship called The Lady Liberty.
(d) Whether Captain Elias was involved in a murder.
11. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) Edmund's sister.
(c) A corpse.
(d) A piece of string.
12. Where do the children live?
(a) In a cozy house.
(b) Above a saloon.
(c) In a tenement.
(d) In a hotel.
13. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) The door is still locked from the outside.
(b) He's forgotten his key.
(c) He forgot to lock the door.
(d) His sister has opened the door.
14. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) She is ill.
(b) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(c) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(d) She is too young.
15. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(b) Begging for food.
(d) Looking for her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
2. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
3. In what month does the story begin?
4. What is the children's room like?
5. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)