|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
(a) A trail of blood.
(b) A button from Edmund's sister's shoe.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) A written message from Edmund's sister.
2. In what year does the story take place?
3. Where does the story take place?
(a) Providence, Rhode Island.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) London, England.
(d) New York, New York.
4. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The Hotel American House.
(b) The American Motel.
(c) The American Apartments.
(d) The American Inn.
5. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
(a) A ghost.
6. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) Nothing is stolen.
(b) Edmund may be guilty.
(c) The victim's real name is unclear.
(d) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
7. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
(a) Marry Mr. Poe.
(b) Marry Mr. Arnold.
(c) Get a divorce.
(d) Remain unmarried.
8. When Edmund enters his room with the food for himself and his sister, what state is his sister in?
(a) She is in tears.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is missing.
9. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) They are orphans.
(d) Their parents are out for the evening.
10. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
(a) Windemere Street.
(b) Ann Street.
(c) Wickenden Street.
(d) Shamrock Street.
11. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
(a) It is a message from Edmund's sister.
(b) It is a message to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) It is unreadable.
(d) It is a message to Dupin.
12. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) August Dupine.
(b) August Dupin.
(c) Auguste Dupine.
(d) Auguste Dupin.
13. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) An inn.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A corner store.
(d) A pastry shop.
14. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
(a) A photograph of his aunt and mother.
(b) A drawing of his aunt and mother.
(c) A photograph of his sister.
(d) A drawing of his sister.
15. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(a) Looking for her sister.
(b) Begging for food.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
2. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
3. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
4. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
5. After they discuss Edmund's step-father, who does Dupin send Edmund to speak to at the docks?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)