|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) Their parents are out for the evening.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
(d) They are orphans.
2. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(a) Fairy tales.
(b) Nursery rhymes.
3. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
(a) A photograph of his aunt and mother.
(b) A photograph of his sister.
(c) A drawing of his aunt and mother.
(d) A drawing of his sister.
4. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
(b) Nothing is stolen.
(c) The victim's real name is unclear.
(d) Edmund may be guilty.
5. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) A corpse.
(b) A piece of string.
(c) Edmund's sister.
6. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(a) A murder.
(b) A suicide.
(d) An accident.
7. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Beg for food.
(b) Stay inside.
(c) Look for a job.
(d) Go out to buy food.
8. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(b) Looking for her sister.
(d) Begging for food.
9. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(d) Not revealed.
10. In what month does the story begin?
11. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Help him get a job.
(b) Solve a mystery.
(c) Help him write a story.
(d) Deliver a letter.
12. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
(a) A trail of blood.
(b) A button from Edmund's sister's shoe.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) A written message from Edmund's sister.
13. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He was lost at sea.
(b) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(c) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(d) He is missing.
14. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(b) Killing Edmund's mother.
(c) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
(d) Abducting Edmund's sister.
15. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
(a) A letter from Edmund's mother.
(b) An ad in a newspaper.
(c) A sailor.
(d) A banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Edmund sees the corpse at the docks, at the beginning of the story, who does he identify her as?
2. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
3. Who is Sherlock Holmes?
4. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
5. When Edmund enters his room with the food for himself and his sister, what state is his sister in?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)