|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
(a) Hercule Parrot.
(b) Hercules Parrot.
(c) Hercule Poirot.
(d) Hercules Poirot.
2. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
(a) If their aunt returns, Sis will take responsibility for his leaving.
(b) She'll let him have most of the food he buys.
(c) She won't go out while he's gone.
(d) She'll call a neighbor if she needs help.
3. How does Edmund get home with the food for himself and his sister?
(a) He walks.
(b) He runs.
(c) By bicycle.
(d) By bus.
4. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(b) Not revealed.
5. When Dupin identifies Rachett as Edmund's step-father, what does Edmund tell him about the reason his mother came to America?
(a) To get a divorce.
(b) To get a better job.
(c) To find her sister.
(d) To get married.
6. What street does Edmund live on?
(a) Ann Street.
(b) Wickenden Street.
(c) Windemere Street.
(d) Shamrock Street.
7. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A corner store.
(c) An inn.
(d) A pastry shop.
8. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He forgot to lock the door.
(b) The door is still locked from the outside.
(c) He's forgotten his key.
(d) His sister has opened the door.
9. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(c) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) A maid.
10. Where does Peterson live?
(a) The American Motel.
(b) The Hotel American House.
(c) The American Inn.
(d) The American Apartments.
11. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
(a) A sailor.
(b) An ad in a newspaper.
(c) A letter from Edmund's mother.
(d) A banker.
12. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
(a) Find his aunt.
(b) Find his sister.
(c) Find his mother.
(d) Find more food.
13. When Edward goes to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, according to the posted sign, who is offering a reward for the location of Mrs. G. Rachett?
(a) The police.
(b) Mr. Rachett.
(c) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Poley.
14. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
(b) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He was lost at sea.
15. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(b) She is too young.
(c) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(d) She is ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Edmund have at the beginning of the story?
2. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
3. What is the only item missing after Edmund's room is ransacked?
4. What two things does this novel incorporate?
5. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)