|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(c) Fairy tales.
(d) Nursery rhymes.
2. At the bank, who is the author of the urgent message Mr. Poley hands Peterson?
(b) Mr. Arnold.
(d) Mr. Rachett.
3. In what month does the story begin?
4. What is the food Edmund buys for himself and his sister wrapped in?
(d) Waxed paper.
5. What is the children's room like?
6. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he has given up drinking.
(b) If he is still in town.
(c) If he wants to marry her.
(d) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
7. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
(b) Kidney pie.
8. When Edmund sees the corpse at the docks, at the beginning of the story, who does he identify her as?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His sister.
9. When Dupin identifies Rachett as Edmund's step-father, what does Edmund tell him about the reason his mother came to America?
(a) To get a better job.
(b) To get married.
(c) To find her sister.
(d) To get a divorce.
10. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
(a) A letter from Edmund's mother.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A banker.
(d) An ad in a newspaper.
11. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Edgar Grey.
(c) Edward Grey.
(d) Edmund Grey.
12. In what year does the story take place?
13. Who is Auguste Dupin?
(a) A carpet salesman.
(b) A postal worker.
(c) A delivery man.
(d) A writer.
14. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(a) A suicide.
(b) An accident.
(c) A murder.
15. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) Edmund may be guilty.
(b) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
(c) The victim's real name is unclear.
(d) Nothing is stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
2. Where does Peterson live?
3. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
4. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
5. Who first used the locked-room concept?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)