|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund buy for himself and his sister?
(b) Kidney pie.
2. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
(a) Through the window.
(b) Through the chimney.
(c) Through the front door.
(d) Through a trap door in the floor.
3. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
(a) A pastry shop.
(b) An inn.
(c) A corner store.
(d) A saloon.
4. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Murder Edmund.
(b) Solve the bank robbery.
(c) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(d) Murder Edmund's sister.
5. Which fictional detective did Poe's writings influence?
(a) Hercules Poirot.
(b) Hercule Parrot.
(c) Hercule Poirot.
(d) Hercules Parrot.
6. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edmund Grey.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Edgar Grey.
(d) Edward Grey.
7. What does Dupin want Edmund to find out at the docks?
(a) Whether Captain Elias was involved in a murder.
(b) Whether Sis is hiding on a ship.
(c) Whether there's a ship called The Lady Liberty.
(d) Whether Mrs. Powers will consent to Dupin's courting of Mrs. Whitman.
8. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) William Shakespeare.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) Harry Houdini.
9. What does the piece of paper that is slipped under the door of Edmund's room tell Dupin?
(a) Not to get involved.
(b) To meet William Arnold at the Hotel American House.
(c) An important clue.
(d) To meet Mrs. Whitman.
10. Who is Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books?
(a) Auguste Dupin.
(b) Auguste Dupine.
(c) August Dupine.
(d) August Dupin.
11. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Help him get a job.
(b) Help him write a story.
(c) Solve a mystery.
(d) Deliver a letter.
12. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(a) Mrs. Whitman.
(d) A maid.
13. Who is Fortnoy?
(a) A sailor.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A night watchman.
(d) A ship's captain.
14. The prologue is engaging because it sets up a crime in which _____.
(a) The victim's real name is unclear.
(b) The suspect could not possibly have entered the room.
(c) Edmund may be guilty.
(d) Nothing is stolen.
15. At the clothier's shop, what does the large man do when he sees Edmund?
(a) Rushes out of the store.
(b) Warns him to stay away from Dupin.
(c) Ignores him.
(d) Offers to buy him a coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
2. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
3. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
4. When Dupin first meets Throck, what does he observes about him?
5. Where do the children live?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)