|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of man does Edmund meet on his way home in the prologue?
(d) A detective.
2. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(c) Not revealed.
3. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Killing Edmund's mother.
(b) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(c) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(d) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
4. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) The door is still locked from the outside.
(b) He forgot to lock the door.
(c) His sister has opened the door.
(d) He's forgotten his key.
5. What street does Edmund live on?
(a) Ann Street.
(b) Wickenden Street.
(c) Windemere Street.
(d) Shamrock Street.
6. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
(a) Edmund and his sister.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) The novel's's setting.
(d) A missing mother and aunt.
7. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(b) A murder.
(c) A suicide.
(d) An accident.
8. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
(c) Looking for her sister.
(d) Begging for food.
9. What does Edmund's sister convince him to do in the Prologue?
(a) Look for a job.
(b) Go out to buy food.
(c) Stay inside.
(d) Beg for food.
10. What is the title of one of Edgar Allan Poe's famous mystery books?
(a) The Murders in the Rue Morte.
(b) The Murder in the Rue Morgue.
(c) The Murder in the Rue Morte.
(d) The Murders in the Rue Morgue.
11. To whom does Edmund give the second letter that Dupin asks him to deliver?
(c) A maid.
(d) Mrs. Whitman.
12. As he leaves the bank, what does Dupin tell Peterson his name is?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Edgar Grey.
(c) Edmund Grey.
(d) Edward Grey.
13. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, what does Mrs. Whitman ask Edmund about Dupin?
(a) If he wants to marry her.
(b) If he is trustworthy when drinking.
(c) If he is still in town.
(d) If he has given up drinking.
14. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
(a) A piece of string.
(b) Edmund's sister.
(c) A corpse.
15. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Solve the bank robbery.
(b) Murder Edmund.
(c) Murder Edmund's sister.
(d) Find a relative of Edmund's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the children's room like?
2. How does Dupin determine that Edmund's sister must have gotten out of the room she shares with Edmund?
3. Poe's main character in one of his famous mystery books was the first to use a combination of ____.
4. As he prepares to meet Mrs. Whitman, who does Dupin tell Edmund he believes Edmund's aunt's murderer is?
5. What two things does this novel incorporate?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)