|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month does the story begin?
2. Who is Throck?
(a) A ship's captain.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A night watchman.
3. When they investigate the room that faces Edmund's room, what do Edmund and Dupin find?
(a) A written message from Edmund's sister.
(b) A button from Edmund's sister's shoe.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) A trail of blood.
4. What is Edmund's sister's real name?
(c) Not revealed.
5. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
(a) Help Edmund find his sister.
(b) Help Edmund commit a crime.
(c) Help Edmund write a story.
(d) Give Edmund money for food.
6. On his way to the saloon to buy supplies for himself and Dupin, who follow Edward?
(b) A ghost.
7. What does Edmund read in Dupin's notebook at the tavern?
(a) A message to Edmund.
(b) A message to Mrs. Whitman.
(c) Dupin's true identity.
(d) A story based on Edmund's situation.
8. Where does Edmund take the man he encounters on the street at the beginning of the story?
(a) Windemere Street.
(b) Ann Street.
(c) Wickenden Street.
(d) Shamrock Street.
9. Who first used the locked-room concept?
(a) Harry Houdini.
(b) Sherlock Holmes.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) William Shakespeare.
10. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
(a) Edmund and his sister.
(b) The novel's's setting.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) A missing mother and aunt.
11. What type of book does Edmund's sister read?
(a) Fairy tales.
(c) Nursery rhymes.
12. How much money does Edmund have at the beginning of the story?
(a) A dime.
(b) A dollar.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A penny.
13. In Dupin and Throck's first meeting, what does Throck tell Dupin he has been hired to do?
(a) Murder Edmund.
(b) Find a relative of Edmund's.
(c) Murder Edmund's sister.
(d) Solve the bank robbery.
14. When he is at Mrs. Whitman's house to deliver Dupin's letter, what does Edmund hear Mrs. Powers say she thinks Mrs. Whitman should do?
(a) Remain unmarried.
(b) Get a divorce.
(c) Marry Mr. Arnold.
(d) Marry Mr. Poe.
15. Where do the children live?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a tenement.
(c) Above a saloon.
(d) In a cozy house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
2. At the beginning of the story, how long have the children been alone?
3. What is the children's room like?
4. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
5. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)