|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 1-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Edmund want to leave his sister alone?
(a) The neighborhood is unsafe.
(b) She is too young.
(c) Someone threatens to kidnap her.
(d) She is ill.
2. In the prologue, what does Edmund discover when he returns home?
(a) He's forgotten his key.
(b) His sister has opened the door.
(c) The door is still locked from the outside.
(d) He forgot to lock the door.
3. What does Dupin asks Edmund to do when they first meet?
(a) Deliver a letter.
(b) Help him write a story.
(c) Solve a mystery.
(d) Help him get a job.
4. When Edmund and Mrs. Whitman first meet, where does Mrs. Whitman tell Edmund to have Dupin meet her?
(a) At the cemetery behind her house.
(b) At the tavern.
(c) At the docks.
(d) At the courthouse.
5. After Edmund's room is ransacked, what does Edmund tell Dupin about his stepfather, Mr. Rachett?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He was lost at sea.
(c) He is a danger to Edmund and his sister.
(d) He stole his mother's money and abandoned her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the scrap of paper Edmund finds in Mrs. Whitman's house?
2. What promise does Sis make to Edmund before he leaves her alone in the room?
3. The prologue introduces the reader to all of the following EXCEPT _____.
4. Where does Edmund go to buy food for himself and Sis?
5. In the prologue, where is the children's mother?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)