|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 1-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the children alone at the beginning of the story?
(a) They are orphans.
(b) A neighbor is looking after them.
(c) Their parents are out for the evening.
(d) They are waiting for their aunt's return.
2. When Dupin goes to the courthouse, what do Thock and Fortnoy testify about?
(a) Abducting Edmund's sister.
(b) Witnessing the bank robbery.
(c) Killing Edmund's mother.
(d) Finding Aunt Pru's body.
3. Where do the children live?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a cozy house.
(c) In a tenement.
(d) Above a saloon.
4. What does Dupin learn is the cause of Edmund's aunt's death?
(a) An accident.
(c) A murder.
(d) A suicide.
5. What does Dupin want Edmund to find out at the docks?
(a) Whether there's a ship called The Lady Liberty.
(b) Whether Captain Elias was involved in a murder.
(c) Whether Mrs. Powers will consent to Dupin's courting of Mrs. Whitman.
(d) Whether Sis is hiding on a ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dupin learn that Aunty Pru was told of Edmund's mother's location?
2. Where does the story take place?
3. When they first meet, in exchange for Edmund's help, what does Dupin agree to do?
4. What does Dupin find in the bank vault?
5. After Edmund returns home at the beginning of the story, what is his most pressing goal?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)