|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some activities that the main character enjoys?
2. What are the symptoms of the main character's affliction?
3. Which other character in the book does the main character in this chapter share a disorder with?
4. Where does the main character end up flourishing?
5. What is the main character's affliction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeline's family seems to have prevented her from coming to believe that she could use her hands. How could a family make such an error? Do you think it was deliberate on their part? If it was deliberate, why would they do it? If it wasn't deliberate, why did they make such a mistake? Try to analyze potential family dynamics that could lead to Madeline's false belief about her hands.
Essay Topic 2
Please outline in detail the costs and benefits of phantom limb syndrome to an amputee. You must list at least two costs of the disorder and at least one benefit. Please research a case study and illustrate your points with the study.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe some recent research on idiot savants like John and Michael. What are some standard abilities of idiot savants? Do we have any better idea of what could cause their condition than we did when this book was written?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)