|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the main character?
2. What is the technical term of Jimmie G.'s disorder?
3. Which of Sacks' questions in the main character unable to answer?
4. What is his problem with body?
5. What is the first man worried about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sacks see the theme of 'what science leaves out' play into the chapter? What does he thinks this leaves out?
2. Who are the two main character's in this chapter? What is their affliction called and what does it generally consist in?
3. What is Mrs. B's condition? How does it affect her? Is she bothered by it?
4. What is the cause of Christina's condition? Do scientists think it is a plausible cause?
5. Why does it matter to Sacks that he tell stories about his patients rather than giving sterile case studies?
6. What does the main character believe is wrong?
7. What is William's affliction? How does it affect him with Dr. Sacks?
8. Speculate as to why Sacks included Hildegard of Bingen in this book.
9. What is strange about the period that Jimmie is stuck in from Dr. Sacks' perspective?
10. What is Mrs. S condition? What is its cause? What are some of her symptoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe some recent research on idiot savants like John and Michael. What are some standard abilities of idiot savants? Do we have any better idea of what could cause their condition than we did when this book was written?
Essay Topic 2
What is Parkinson's disease? How does it affect the brain? What are common treatments for the disease? How effective are they? What prospects are there for a cure. Please write a five-page essay on this topic, double spaced. Cite your sources.
Essay Topic 3
Suppose that you were the prosecuting attorney in Donald's murder trial. What arguments would you use to try to convict him? How would you show that he is the same person, that he was responsible for his actions? Please do some legal research for the paper and attempt to phrase your arguments accurately. Cite your sources.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)