|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks sees himself as having what kind of personality?
2. How old is the character in this chapter?
3. Dr. P possesses which personal qualities.
4. What does the main character do with this body part?
5. The main character in this chapter has which affliction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sacks react to Mrs. B's view about her own condition?
2. What is the twins' unique ability? In what venues do they use it? Does it give them intelligence in other areas?
3. What are the main character's experiences due to her affliction about? How does she react to them?
4. What is strange about the period that Jimmie is stuck in from Dr. Sacks' perspective?
5. How do people react to the main character on the street? What does she do to avoid their reaction?
6. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is his affliction? What does he maintain despite his affliction?
7. How do observes view the main character, given his inability to recognize that his leg hasn't been replaced?
8. How does Sacks answer the following questions? Is there a place in society for people like Jose? Does Jose have a functional role in society? Or is he too disabled to function?
9. What is phantom limb syndrome? What are its disadvantages?
10. What is Natasha K's affliction? What is its cause? How does it affect her? Does she like it or dislike it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please outline in detail the costs and benefits of phantom limb syndrome to an amputee. You must list at least two costs of the disorder and at least one benefit. Please research a case study and illustrate your points with the study.
Essay Topic 2
What is retrograde amnesia? What causes it? To what extent can it be cured? How does it often disappear and why?
Essay Topic 3
Sacks often tries to argue that science leaves out important facets of his patients' lives. Please select two examples from the book where Sacks does this and then use the examples to discuss what you think the limits of science are in explaining the human experience, using the two cases you selected as illustration. The paper must be four pages, double spaced.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)