|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the main character treated?
2. Who is the main character of the chapter?
3. Which sort of memory does Jimmie G. lack?
4. Who is the main character in this chapter?
5. What is the technical term of Jimmie G.'s disorder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the change in the main character's demeanor in the chapter and why?
2. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's disorder? How does it hurt him? How does it benefit him?
3. What central feature of all humans is Sacks worried that Jimmie lacks? Why is Sacks so worried? And what alleviates his worry?
4. What disorder to Jimmie have? What is it called? What does it involve? Can patients with this disorder make progress?
5. What is strange about the period that Jimmie is stuck in from Dr. Sacks' perspective?
6. What is the cause of Christina's condition? Do scientists think it is a plausible cause?
7. What is Miguel's affliction? How does it affect him? How is it treated? And are its effects good or bad?
8. What is the source of the twins' ability? How can they lose their ability?
9. How does Sacks see the relationship between memory and life? How does Sacks see the connection in Jimmie G.?
10. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's treatment? Why doesn't he like it at first? How does he cope with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Christina's condition. Then speculate on how you believe she withstood the psychological pressure to give up on her life. How would you have reacted in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
What is retrograde amnesia? What causes it? To what extent can it be cured? How does it often disappear and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is Parkinson's disease? How does it affect the brain? What are common treatments for the disease? How effective are they? What prospects are there for a cure. Please write a five-page essay on this topic, double spaced. Cite your sources.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)