|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the neuroscientist Sacks receives advice from in Chapter 1?
2. Sacks sees himself as having what kind of personality?
3. In what place does Jimmie recover a part of himself?
4. The main character cannot perceive:
5. Who is the main character of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is William's affliction? How does it affect him with Dr. Sacks?
2. What is the connection between Christina's dream and her ailment?
3. How does Sacks see the theme of 'what science leaves out' play into the chapter? What does he thinks this leaves out?
4. What is proprioception? What does losing it prevent you from doing?
5. What is Mrs. O'C's primary symptom? What is Mrs. O'M's primary symptom? How do their attitudes differ about their symptoms?
6. What does the main character believe is wrong?
7. What is the main character's affliction? What crime is he on trial for? What is the outcome of the trial?
8. How does Mr. MacGregor work to compensate for his disorder?
9. What is phantom limb syndrome? What are its disadvantages?
10. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's treatment? Why doesn't he like it at first? How does he cope with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madeline's family seems to have prevented her from coming to believe that she could use her hands. How could a family make such an error? Do you think it was deliberate on their part? If it was deliberate, why would they do it? If it wasn't deliberate, why did they make such a mistake? Try to analyze potential family dynamics that could lead to Madeline's false belief about her hands.
Essay Topic 2
A great deal of neurological research has been done on how aphasia affects the language centers of the brain. Complete a five page research paper where you summarize this research.
Essay Topic 3
Outline what you believe to be one main theme of Sacks' book. For instance, how does he treat his patients? You must use three examples from the book to illustrate your point. The paper must be five pages, double-spaced.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)