|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature of humans does Sacks wonder if Jimmie lacks?
2. To what extent is Jimmie G's intelligence impaired?
3. Who is the main character of the chapter?
4. What word does Dr. Sacks use to describe the way the main character feels?
5. Who is the main character in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Madeline J.'s afflictions? Which one is most frustrating to her and why?
2. Where is the main character housed after the trial? How does he come to recall the crime he committed?
3. What is Sacks's attitude towards his patients?
4. What are the main character's experiences due to her affliction about? How does she react to them?
5. Speculate as to why Sacks included Hildegard of Bingen in this book.
6. What is Mrs. B's condition? How does it affect her? Is she bothered by it?
7. What is Natasha K's affliction? What is its cause? How does it affect her? Does she like it or dislike it?
8. What is Mr. MacGregor's disorder? How does he discover it?
9. What is the overall theme of the book?
10. Which activities return the main character to normal? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please outline in detail the costs and benefits of phantom limb syndrome to an amputee. You must list at least two costs of the disorder and at least one benefit. Please research a case study and illustrate your points with the study.
Essay Topic 2
Write a research paper on reminiscence? What are the types of reminiscence? What are the most common types? Are the memories that patients with reminiscence re-experience accurate? Or are they full of errors?
Essay Topic 3
Research the neurological phenomenon that leads the man in Chapter Four to believe that his leg was not his own. What causes this neurological defect? And why can't the man recognize the leg is his own even when Dr. Sacks assures him of it? What should be done for the man? Should his leg be removed?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)