|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Sacks respond to the main character?
2. What surgery is the main character admitted into the hospital to have?
3. What is the technical term of Jimmie G.'s disorder?
4. What is the cause of the main character's inability to use one of her body parts?
5. The main character's disorder involves a breakdown of cooperation between which three body systems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the change in the main character's demeanor in the chapter and why?
2. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is her affliction? How does she handle relationships with others?
3. Why does it matter to Sacks that he tell stories about his patients rather than giving sterile case studies?
4. What is Miguel's affliction? How does it affect him? How is it treated? And are its effects good or bad?
5. What is the cause of Christina's condition? Do scientists think it is a plausible cause?
6. Which activities return the main character to normal? Why?
7. How does Sacks see the theme of 'what science leaves out' play into the chapter? What does he thinks this leaves out?
8. How does Sacks answer the following questions? Is there a place in society for people like Jose? Does Jose have a functional role in society? Or is he too disabled to function?
9. Who are the two main character's in this chapter? What is their affliction called and what does it generally consist in?
10. What is the cause of the main character's affliction? When is it first treated? When does it return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Christina's condition. Then speculate on how you believe she withstood the psychological pressure to give up on her life. How would you have reacted in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 2
Sacks often tries to argue that science leaves out important facets of his patients' lives. Please select two examples from the book where Sacks does this and then use the examples to discuss what you think the limits of science are in explaining the human experience, using the two cases you selected as illustration. The paper must be four pages, double spaced.
Essay Topic 3
A great deal of neurological research has been done on how aphasia affects the language centers of the brain. Complete a five page research paper where you summarize this research.
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)