|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main character's most frustrating disability?
2. At what stage of Sacks' career does he encounter the main character of Chapter Four?
3. What word does Dr. Sacks use to describe the way the main character feels?
4. How many children does the main character have?
5. Who is the main character of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the source of the twins' ability? How can they lose their ability?
2. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's treatment? Why doesn't he like it at first? How does he cope with it?
3. What is the main character's affliction? How it is treated?
4. How does Sacks react to Mrs. B's view about her own condition?
5. What is the twins' unique ability? In what venues do they use it? Does it give them intelligence in other areas?
6. Explain the impact of hearing Reagan's speech on the main character. What does he/she notice that others do not? What does she miss?
7. How does Sacks see the theme of 'what science leaves out' play into the chapter? What does he thinks this leaves out?
8. What is Mrs. S condition? What is its cause? What are some of her symptoms?
9. What is the cause of the main character's affliction? When is it first treated? When does it return?
10. To what degree does Sachs see himself as a novelist? And to what degree does he see himself as a scientist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1To what extent are patients like those described in this book 'normal?' Is it that they can't function in society? Or can they, with a little help? How would you try to integrate these patients into society? Or would you refuse to try? Please pick two patients you think could be easily integrated into society and one patient that presents difficulties. Explain how you would integrate the first two patients and why the third would present difficulties.
Essay Topic 2Please describe some recent research on idiot savants like John and Michael. What are some standard abilities of idiot savants? Do we have any better idea of what could cause their condition than we did when this book was written?
Essay Topic 3Explain Christina's condition. Then speculate on how you believe she withstood the psychological pressure to give up on her life. How would you have reacted in a similar situation?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)