|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of his patients is Sacks concerned to communicate to his reader?
2. What does the main character do with this body part?
3. The main character's name is
4. What is the cause of the main character's inability to use one of her body parts?
5. Sacks thinks of his patients as:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is phantom limb syndrome? What are its disadvantages?
2. How does Sacks see the relationship between memory and life? How does Sacks see the connection in Jimmie G.?
3. How does Sacks answer the following questions? Is there a place in society for people like Jose? Does Jose have a functional role in society? Or is he too disabled to function?
4. What are Madeline J.'s afflictions? Which one is most frustrating to her and why?
5. Explain the impact of hearing Reagan's speech on the main character. What does he/she notice that others do not? What does she miss?
6. Why does it matter to Sacks that he tell stories about his patients rather than giving sterile case studies?
7. How does Mr. MacGregor work to compensate for his disorder?
8. Why does A. R. Luria advise Sacks to present case histories as stories? What aspect of his stories does Sacks focus on as a result?
9. What is the main character's affliction? What crime is he on trial for? What is the outcome of the trial?
10. What is the main character's affliction? How it is treated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different forms of reminiscence that Mrs. O'C and Mrs. O'M experience. How do they react to their disorders? Why do you believe that respond so differently?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Christina's condition. Then speculate on how you believe she withstood the psychological pressure to give up on her life. How would you have reacted in a similar situation?
Essay Topic 3
A great deal of neurological research has been done on how aphasia affects the language centers of the brain. Complete a five page research paper where you summarize this research.
This section contains 1,893 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)