|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would the disorder described in the chapter be a bad thing?
2. There is a disorder where patients suddenly lose part of their memory back to a certain date or time period. What is it called?
3. The main character has which problem?
4. The character's condition is caused by polyneuritis, which is:
5. How many children does the main character have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is her affliction? How does she handle relationships with others?
2. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is his affliction? What does he maintain despite his affliction?
3. What is the twins' unique ability? In what venues do they use it? Does it give them intelligence in other areas?
4. What is Mr. P's affliction? How does it affect his life?
5. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is the main character's occupation and affliction?
6. What is Sacks's attitude towards his patients?
7. Why does Sacks think that phantom limb syndrome might be importantly beneficial to a patient who has lost a limb?
8. What disorder to Jimmie have? What is it called? What does it involve? Can patients with this disorder make progress?
9. How does Sacks see the relationship between memory and life? How does Sacks see the connection in Jimmie G.?
10. To what extent can William escape his affliction? Which activities allow him to escape it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the neurological phenomenon that leads the man in Chapter Four to believe that his leg was not his own. What causes this neurological defect? And why can't the man recognize the leg is his own even when Dr. Sacks assures him of it? What should be done for the man? Should his leg be removed?
Essay Topic 2
What is Parkinson's disease? How does it affect the brain? What are common treatments for the disease? How effective are they? What prospects are there for a cure. Please write a five-page essay on this topic, double spaced. Cite your sources.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe some recent research on idiot savants like John and Michael. What are some standard abilities of idiot savants? Do we have any better idea of what could cause their condition than we did when this book was written?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)