|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the main character seem when Sacks meets him?
2. What was the main character's old line of work that helped in compensating for the main character's disorder?
3. What time period is Jimmie stuck in?
4. What is the name of the main character mentioned in the postscript?
5. The main character's disorder involves a breakdown of cooperation between which three body systems?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is the main character's occupation and affliction?
2. What is strange about the period that Jimmie is stuck in from Dr. Sacks' perspective?
3. How is Mrs. S treated? What is a treatment that she despises?
4. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is his affliction? How does it affect him?
5. Why does A. R. Luria advise Sacks to present case histories as stories? What aspect of his stories does Sacks focus on as a result?
6. What are the main character's experiences due to her affliction about? How does she react to them?
7. What is the main character's affliction? What crime is he on trial for? What is the outcome of the trial?
8. What is the cause of the main character's affliction? When is it first treated? When does it return?
9. How do observes view the main character, given his inability to recognize that his leg hasn't been replaced?
10. To what extent can William escape his affliction? Which activities allow him to escape it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please outline in detail the costs and benefits of phantom limb syndrome to an amputee. You must list at least two costs of the disorder and at least one benefit. Please research a case study and illustrate your points with the study.
Essay Topic 2
Outline what you believe to be one main theme of Sacks' book. For instance, how does he treat his patients? You must use three examples from the book to illustrate your point. The paper must be five pages, double-spaced.
Essay Topic 3
Suppose that you were the prosecuting attorney in Donald's murder trial. What arguments would you use to try to convict him? How would you show that he is the same person, that he was responsible for his actions? Please do some legal research for the paper and attempt to phrase your arguments accurately. Cite your sources.
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)