|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which capacity of the main character is enhanced by his/her disability?
2. How old is the character in this chapter?
3. Why doesn't the introduction of a video system work?
4. The main character's disorder involves a breakdown of cooperation between which three body systems?
5. What year does Sacks think Jimmie G's memory should have stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sacks answer the following questions? Is there a place in society for people like Jose? Does Jose have a functional role in society? Or is he too disabled to function?
2. What is the cause of the main character's affliction? When is it first treated? When does it return?
3. Where is the main character housed after the trial? How does he come to recall the crime he committed?
4. How does the main character handle her grandmother's death? What activities does she start in? Which does she end up in?
5. What disorder to Jimmie have? What is it called? What does it involve? Can patients with this disorder make progress?
6. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's disorder? How does it hurt him? How does it benefit him?
7. What is Mrs. O'C's primary symptom? What is Mrs. O'M's primary symptom? How do their attitudes differ about their symptoms?
8. What is Mrs. S condition? What is its cause? What are some of her symptoms?
9. To what degree does Sachs see himself as a novelist? And to what degree does he see himself as a scientist?
10. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is the main character's occupation and affliction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suppose that you were the prosecuting attorney in Donald's murder trial. What arguments would you use to try to convict him? How would you show that he is the same person, that he was responsible for his actions? Please do some legal research for the paper and attempt to phrase your arguments accurately. Cite your sources.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Witty Ticcy Ray's condition and his ultimate choice to take his medication during the week and go off of them on the weekends. Is this a wise decision or not? Spell out your answer in detail. Make sure to give arguments for your position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Christina's condition. Then speculate on how you believe she withstood the psychological pressure to give up on her life. How would you have reacted in a similar situation?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)