|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main character of this chapter?
(a) Jimmie G.
(b) Mr. P
(c) Dr. P
(d) Dr. Sacks
2. Sacks finds his patients:
3. If Sacks called his chapters 'studies' what would that mean about his attitude?
(a) He is professional.
(b) He likes his patients.
(c) He is detached from his patients.
(d) He despises his patients.
4. How does the 'what science leaves out' theme play out in this chapter?
(a) Science leaves out an account of higher cognitive faculties.
(b) Science leaves out the personal experience of the patient.
(c) Science ignores the ethical issues at stake.
(d) Science pays no attention to the state of the soul in these matters.
5. The main character cannot perceive:
(a) Objects on her left
(b) Objects that are square
(c) Objects on her right
(d) Objects with color
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks says taht for a long time which part of the brain was thought to be less complex?
2. Sacks' patients are typically:
3. How does the main character feel about his/her body?
4. At what stage of Sacks' career does he encounter the main character of Chapter Four?
5. What is the first man worried about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Madeline's problem fixed? What was the cause of her disorder in the first place?
2. What is the cause of Christina's condition? Do scientists think it is a plausible cause?
3. Why does it matter to Sacks that he tell stories about his patients rather than giving sterile case studies?
4. What is Mrs. O'C's primary symptom? What is Mrs. O'M's primary symptom? How do their attitudes differ about their symptoms?
5. What are the main character's experiences due to her affliction about? How does she react to them?
6. What central feature of all humans is Sacks worried that Jimmie lacks? Why is Sacks so worried? And what alleviates his worry?
7. What is proprioception? What does losing it prevent you from doing?
8. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is his affliction? How does it affect him?
9. What is Mrs. B's condition? How does it affect her? Is she bothered by it?
10. What is Miguel's affliction? How does it affect him? How is it treated? And are its effects good or bad?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)