|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the main character of this chapter?
(a) Dr. P
(b) Jimmie G.
(c) Mr. P
(d) Dr. Sacks
2. For Sacks it is important to treat his patients with:
(d) A Helping Hand
3. What surgery is the main character admitted into the hospital to have?
(a) Kidney transplant
(b) Gallbladder surgery
(d) Back surgery
4. The character's condition is caused by polyneuritis, which is:
(a) Damaging of the pain centers of the spinal and cranial nerves
(b) Damaging of the sensory roots of the spinal and cranial nerves
(c) Damaging of the sensory roots of the nerves attached to skin
(d) Damaging of the pain centers of the nerves attached to skin
5. Who is the main character in this chapter?
(a) Mr. MacGregor
(c) Mr. P
(d) Jimmie G.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the 'what science leaves out' theme play out in this chapter?
2. How long does Sacks cover the patient's condition without seeing recovery?
3. How does the main character compensate for his/her disorder?
4. What does Sacks call his chapters?
5. Patients with the main character's disorder have trouble with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is the main character's occupation and affliction?
2. Who are the two main character's in this chapter? What is their affliction called and what does it generally consist in?
3. What is phantom limb syndrome? What are its disadvantages?
4. How does Sacks react to Mrs. B's view about her own condition?
5. How does Sacks see the relationship between memory and life? How does Sacks see the connection in Jimmie G.?
6. What is the connection between Christina's dream and her ailment?
7. What is the cause of Christina's condition? Do scientists think it is a plausible cause?
8. Where is the main character housed after the trial? How does he come to recall the crime he committed?
9. What is Witty Ticcy Ray's treatment? Why doesn't he like it at first? How does he cope with it?
10. What is the main character's affliction? How it is treated?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)