|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sacks finds his patients:
2. At what stage of Sacks' career does he encounter the main character of Chapter Four?
(a) As a young medical student
(b) As a young doctor
(c) As a doctor in the middle of his career practice
(d) As a resident
3. What additional form of memory can people with Jimmie G.'s disorder lose?
(a) Sensual Memory
(b) Olfactory Memory
(c) Visual Memory
(d) Auditory Memory
4. What is Dr. Sacks' treatment of the main character?
5. The main character suffers a stroke and this affects which side of his/her brain?
(b) The Right
(d) The Left
Short Answer Questions
1. Sacks' patients are typically:
2. There is a disorder where patients suddenly lose part of their memory back to a certain date or time period. What is it called?
3. Most neuroscientists thought that most neurological disorders were caused by damage to what part of the brain?
4. The main character cannot perceive:
5. How does the 'what science leaves out' theme play out in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the main character in this chapter? What is his affliction? How does it affect him?
2. How do people react to the main character on the street? What does she do to avoid their reaction?
3. What disorder to Jimmie have? What is it called? What does it involve? Can patients with this disorder make progress?
4. What is proprioception? What does losing it prevent you from doing?
5. To what extent can William escape his affliction? Which activities allow him to escape it?
6. Who are the two main character's in this chapter? What is their affliction called and what does it generally consist in?
7. How does the main character handle her grandmother's death? What activities does she start in? Which does she end up in?
8. Why does A. R. Luria advise Sacks to present case histories as stories? What aspect of his stories does Sacks focus on as a result?
9. How is Mr. P able to recognize objects?
10. What is Mrs. B's condition? How does it affect her? Is she bothered by it?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)