|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main character's affliction?
(a) Congential Blindness and Cerebral Palsy
(b) Only Cerebral Palsy
(c) Only Congenital Blindness
(d) Neither Congenital Blindness nor Cerebral Palsy
2. Sacks' book is different from a college textbook in that it:
(a) Has a more rushed style
(b) Has a more scientific style
(c) Has a slower pace
(d) Has a friendlier style
3. For Sacks it is important to treat his patients with:
(b) A Helping Hand
4. Who is the main character in this chapter?
(b) Mr. P
(c) Jimmie G.
(d) Mr. MacGregor
5. The main character of this chapter has which disorder?
(c) Phantom Limb Syndrome
(d) Tourette's Syndrome
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sort of memory does Jimmie G. lack?
2. There is a disorder where patients suddenly lose part of their memory back to a certain date or time period. What is it called?
3. The main character has a dream that foreshadows her condition? What is the dream about?
4. What time period is Jimmie stuck in?
5. The main character has which problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do observes view the main character, given his inability to recognize that his leg hasn't been replaced?
2. How is Madeline's problem fixed? What was the cause of her disorder in the first place?
3. Why does A. R. Luria advise Sacks to present case histories as stories? What aspect of his stories does Sacks focus on as a result?
4. To what extent can William escape his affliction? Which activities allow him to escape it?
5. What is the overall theme of the book?
6. To what degree does Sachs see himself as a novelist? And to what degree does he see himself as a scientist?
7. Explain the impact of hearing Reagan's speech on the main character. What does he/she notice that others do not? What does she miss?
8. What is strange about the period that Jimmie is stuck in from Dr. Sacks' perspective?
9. How is Mrs. S treated? What is a treatment that she despises?
10. What are the main character's experiences due to her affliction about? How does she react to them?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)