|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sacks' book is different from a college textbook in that it:
(a) Has a friendlier style
(b) Has a slower pace
(c) Has a more rushed style
(d) Has a more scientific style
2. Which capacity of the main character is enhanced by his/her disability?
(a) The ability to see color.
(b) The ability to comprehend simple sentences.
(c) The ability to comprehend complex words
(d) The ability to understand speaking tone
3. Dr. P possesses which personal qualities.
(a) He is upbeat and intelligent.
(b) He is cold and indifferent.
(c) He is utterly detached from the world.
(d) He is angry but intelligent.
4. How does the remedy work?
(a) It helps him/her go the bathroom properly
(b) It helps him/her to be independent
(c) It increases the amount of food he/she eats
(d) It helps him/her with personal hygiene
5. Who is the neuroscientist Sacks receives advice from in Chapter 1?
6. Who is the main character of this chapter?
(b) Mr. P
(c) Jimmie G.
(d) Oliver Sacks
7. The main character's symptoms are:
(a) Inability to grasp the meanings of words
(b) A strong left-side tilt
(c) Violent tics that occur every few seconds
(d) Lost memory
8. What happens when the main character attempts to remove one of his body parts?
(a) He throws himself onto the floor.
(b) He bleeds profusely.
(c) He howls with pain.
(d) He breaks his leg.
9. Which faculty of mind does Sacks argue is left out of psychology and neuroscience?
10. What is the cause of the main character's inability to use one of her body parts?
(a) A Virus
(b) There is no cause; it is an illusion.
(d) Cerebral Palsy
11. Sacks is a:
12. Who is the main character of this chapter?
(b) Mr. P
(c) Mrs. S
(d) Mr. MacGregor
13. Which part of the main character's body does he/she refer to as "lumps of dough?"
14. How does the main character regain control of his/her body?
(a) Her eyes
(b) Help from family
(c) Her ears
(d) A wheelchair
15. What time period is Jimmie stuck in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which medicine is used to calm down the main character?
2. How many cases are covered in this chapter?
3. The main character in this chapter has which affliction?
4. What is the technical term of Jimmie G.'s disorder?
5. How do the main character's nurses help him/her fix his/her disability?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)