|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sacks sees his patients as:
(a) Mere medical files
(c) Mere case studies
(d) Real people
2. What is Dr. Sacks' treatment of the main character?
3. What does the main character do with this body part?
(a) Beats it until it is bruised
(b) Throws it out of bed
(c) Tries to cut it off
(d) Asks someone to amputate it
4. The character's condition is caused by polyneuritis, which is:
(a) Damaging of the pain centers of the spinal and cranial nerves
(b) Damaging of the pain centers of the nerves attached to skin
(c) Damaging of the sensory roots of the nerves attached to skin
(d) Damaging of the sensory roots of the spinal and cranial nerves
5. What part of the main character's body does he have a problem with?
(a) His leg
(b) His face
(c) His arm
(d) His hands
6. Sacks is different from a fiction writer because:
(a) He is not a trained writer.
(b) He is a bad writer.
(c) He is more scientific and philosophical than most.
(d) He has less education than most fiction writers.
7. What does Sacks call his chapters?
8. Sacks sees himself as having what kind of personality?
(a) A Clinician
(d) A Romantic
9. Where does Sacks work at the time of this chapter?
(a) Neuroscience Clinic
(b) National Institutes of Mental Health
(c) Home for the Aged
(d) Therapist's Office
10. What is the first man worried about?
(a) Breaking his finger.
(b) Tripping over his foot.
(c) Poking his eye out.
(d) Cutting his leg.
11. Sacks thinks of his patients as:
12. What does Sacks compare his tales to?
(a) Lawrence of Arabia
(b) Arabian Nights
(c) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
(d) The Bible
13. Dr. P possesses which personal qualities.
(a) He is upbeat and intelligent.
(b) He is cold and indifferent.
(c) He is utterly detached from the world.
(d) He is angry but intelligent.
14. How does the main character feel about his/her body?
(a) That it is detached from him/her.
(b) That it will spontaneously combust.
(c) That it is deteriorating.
(d) That it has a mind of its own.
15. Who is the main character of the chapter?
(a) Jimmie G.
(b) Mr. P.
(d) Madeline J.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the main character?
2. What are the agents that spread the main character's disorder?
3. What is the main character's name in this chapter?
4. How does the 'what science leaves out' theme play out in this chapter?
5. The main character of this chapter has which disorder?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)