|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His size.
(c) His teeth.
(d) His color.
2. Where does Corbett wait for the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
(a) Wedged in between two rocks.
(b) None of the above.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Lying down in the open.
3. When Corbett finally overtakes the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh, how is he moving through the forest?
(a) Crashing blindly through the underbrush.
(b) Riding a water buffalo.
(c) Crawling on his stomach.
(d) Running at full speed.
4. How does Corbett eventually first encounter the leopard?
(a) Robin springs the leopard from a bush and Corbett shoots it.
(b) The leopard chases Robin across a clearing.
(c) The leopard springs at them from behind a log.
(d) He finds the leopard nearly dead in a bush.
5. How had the Champawat tigress killed the last victim prior to Corbett's arrival?
(a) Pulled her down by a foot while she was climbing out of a tree.
(b) Snuck into her house and drug her away at night.
(c) Jumped on her while she was cutting grass.
(d) Pulled her off a path from the next village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett decide to do before following the blood trail from the leopard?
2. Why do leopards, who are to a certain extent scavengers, become man-eaters?
3. What conclusion does Corbett draw from differences between man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
4. Which of the following, according to Corbett, best characterizes a tiger?
5. What tale about himself does Corbett refute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
2. Explain what happens when Corbett takes the skin of the tigress of Champawat to the woman that had pursued it when it carried off her sister.
3. Explain the circumstance in which Corbett shoots the first of the Chowgarh tigers. Why does he choose the tiger he does? Which one does he kill?
4. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
5. How does the bear hunt start when Corbett is out shooting ghooral for the village? What happens in the bear hunt and how do they eventually kill the bear?
6. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
7. What does the author give as the reason for the difference in hunting habits of man-eating tigers and man-eating leopards?
8. How does Corbett attempt to use water buffalo to help him stalk the Bachelor of Powalgarh? What happens?
9. Explain what happens when Robin first chases a langur monkey? What did Robin learn?
10. What story does Corbett tell as a warning against assuming that a wounded animal is where you last saw it?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)