|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Corbett learn of the location of the Bachelor of Powalgarh when he starts to pursue him?
(a) He comes across him accidentally in the forest.
(b) From other big game hunters who failed to shoot him.
(c) He sees the pugmarks when out walking Robin.
(d) From a dak runner passing his house that saw pugmarks.
2. When do tigers sometimes hunt people?
(a) After they have been shot at by hunters.
(b) When their diet is low in salt.
(c) When they are compelled to through stress of circumstance.
(d) When people start to work in their territory.
3. What happens that makes Corbett know he's picked a winner in Robin?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Robin hangs onto a wounded peafowl as it runs dragging him along.
(c) Robin growls when anybody approaches Corbett.
(d) Robin joins a group of hunting dogs that cornered a leopard.
4. Where does Corbett spend his first night in pursuit of the Chowgrarh tiger?
(a) In the village square comforting the locals.
(b) In a luxury tourist bungalow.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Up a tree.
5. What do the men from Champawat report having heard and seen?
(a) The tigress wailing all night after getting shot.
(b) The ghosts of the tigress's victims.
(c) The tigress carrying a naked woman in its mouth as she wailed and screamed for help.
(d) The woman running through the woods calling to her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett say plays an important part in the sport of hunting man-eaters?
2. How many people does the tigress of Champawat kill in all?
3. Which of the following is NOT something that a tiger depends on for the success of its attack when killing its prey?
4. How had the Champawat tigress killed the last victim prior to Corbett's arrival?
5. What tactic does Corbett decide to try when pursuing the tigress of Champawat is unsuccessful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to other hunters that nearly were able to shoot the Bachelor of Powalgarh? Tell how he escaped twice despite being only feet away from seasoned hunters that were hunting him.
2. What does Corbett say about the cubs of man-eaters? Why?
3. What opportunity does Corbett miss when he sees just the hind leg and tail of a tiger while stalking the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh? Why does he make the decision that he does?
4. Why did the group of twenty men not pursue the woman they saw carried off? What happened when a rescue party did search for her?
5. Tell the story of the second wounded victim of the Chawgarh tiger that Corbett sees. How was she attacked and how did she return to town? What happens to her?
6. Explain what happens after Corbett notices that Robin is missing.
7. Explain what happens when Corbett uses a buffalo to lure the tiger and waits for it on a rock ledge. What do the villagers discover.
8. Explain the encounter the author has a young boy with a tiger in the forest.
9. Explain the circumstance in which Corbett shoots the first of the Chowgarh tigers. Why does he choose the tiger he does? Which one does he kill?
10. What story does Corbett tell as a warning against assuming that a wounded animal is where you last saw it?
This section contains 1,565 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)