|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that makes Corbett know he's picked a winner in Robin?
(a) Robin joins a group of hunting dogs that cornered a leopard.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Robin hangs onto a wounded peafowl as it runs dragging him along.
(d) Robin growls when anybody approaches Corbett.
2. How many people does the tigress of Champawat kill in all?
(b) Over a thousand.
(c) Forty two.
(d) Four hundred and thirty six.
3. What does the Bachelor of Powalgarh do after Corbett fires his first shot at him?
(a) Rip a tree to shreds.
(b) Try to attack Corbett.
(c) Fall over and lie still.
(d) Run away.
4. Which of the following, according to Corbett, best characterizes a tiger?
(a) Large hearted gentleman with boundless courage.
(b) Instinctual and natural.
(c) Aggressive and cruel.
(d) Monarch of the forests.
5. What does Corbett decide to do before following the blood trail from the leopard?
(a) Clean his rifle.
(b) Tie Robin to a tree.
(c) Listen to the jungle sounds to see what he could tell about the leopard.
(d) Make a plan with the other men.
6. Where does the wounded leopard go with Corbett and Robin tracking close behind?
(a) Into a dense, nearly impassable part of the forest.
(b) Into a large cluster of rocks.
(c) Into a large lantana bush.
(d) Up a tree.
7. How does the tigress come to be the Champawat Man-eater?
(a) She is old and was driven out of her territory by a younger tiger.
(b) She arrives a man-eater from Nepal after killing two hundred people there.
(c) None of the above.
(d) A hunter from Champawat shot her in the hip.
8. When does Robin disappear?
(a) When all the other dogs swarm the leopard.
(b) When they can hear the leopard charging at them but can't see it.
(c) When all the men open fire.
(d) When the leopard swats him with a paw.
9. What does Corbet wedge into his door to get ventilation but keep the tiger out?
(a) A weaving loom.
(b) His saddle and gun.
(d) Thorn bushes.
10. How does Corbet spend the first night in Pali?
(a) Barricaded in a house with everyone else.
(b) Trying to re-assure the villagers.
(c) Helping the townspeople search for the tiger.
(d) Outside alone watching the road while his men were safe in a room.
11. Why do the Vivians miss their opportunity to kill the man-eater of Chowgarh?
(a) The man-eater senses their presence and stays hidden.
(b) In the murky light they mistake it for a bear.
(c) The gun jams and does not fire.
(d) They miss the shot.
12. What does Corbett learn about the Chowgrarh tiger at the first village?
(a) It is accompanied by a full grown cub.
(b) It is accompanied by a leopard.
(c) It is a mother caring for a young cub.
(d) It is accompanied by a mate.
13. In what state does Corbett find the people of Pali when he arrives?
(a) Furiously pounding the bush to drive the tiger away.
(b) In abject terror and locked in their homes.
(c) In a town meeting deciding what to do about the tiger.
(d) Loading up their belongings to leave.
14. What is a popular belief about man-eating tigers that Corbett claims is untrue?
(a) That they prefer to attack a person from the front.
(b) That they do not eat the head, hands, and feet of human victims.
(c) None of the above.
(d) That they only attack at night.
15. It most cases, which of the following best characterizes the tiger's change from animal to human flesh?
Short Answer Questions
1. How had the Champawat tigress killed the last victim prior to Corbett's arrival?
2. What drove the tigress of Muktesar to start eating human flesh?
3. What does Corbett find from the little girl the tigress of Champawat carried off?
4. Where is the last chance Corbett has to get a shot at the man-eater of Chowgarh on his first visit?
5. What does Corbett find exasperating about one of the men that guides in Champawat?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)