|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps the exhausted Corbett awake when he finally returns to town after killing the first tiger?
(a) News of another person killed by the tiger.
(b) The villagers celebrating the death of the tiger.
(c) A violent storm.
(d) The second tiger circling the village and calling.
2. Which of the following, according to Corbett, best characterizes a tiger?
(a) Large hearted gentleman with boundless courage.
(b) Instinctual and natural.
(c) Aggressive and cruel.
(d) Monarch of the forests.
3. Why does the little boy Corbett remembers not fear tigers when he sleeps in the woods?
(a) He was raised by a tigress.
(b) He had a charm put on him as a baby to thwart tigers.
(c) He knows he is not in a tiger's territory.
(d) He knows tigers do not hurt people if they are left alone.
4. Why do the Vivians miss their opportunity to kill the man-eater of Chowgarh?
(a) They miss the shot.
(b) The gun jams and does not fire.
(c) In the murky light they mistake it for a bear.
(d) The man-eater senses their presence and stays hidden.
5. Whose aid does Corbett unsuccessfully enlist to find the wounded Bachelor of Powalgarh?
(a) A small herd of water buffalo.
(b) A band of monkeys.
(c) All of his men.
(d) The other big game hunters after him.
6. What does Corbett find exasperating about one of the men that guides in Champawat?
(a) He says Corbett's gun is insufficient.
(b) He is convinced Corbett will die that day.
(c) The man brags he could kill the man-eater tiger if given the chance.
(d) He can't walk and talk at the same time.
7. What connects the appearance of man-eating leopards to disease epidemics?
(a) One of the Hindu traditions of disposing of the dead.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The human population is easier prey.
(d) The change in livestock management.
8. Where does Corbett wait for the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
(a) Lying down in the open.
(b) In a tree.
(c) Wedged in between two rocks.
(d) None of the above.
9. What does Corbett finally kill the bear they chase with?
(a) An axe.
(b) A shot to the head.
(c) A large rock.
(d) A hunting knife.
10. What does Corbett find when he goes to investigate a report of a tiger killing a cow in a village near to Champawat?
(a) No information that could explain what happened.
(b) Indication it was one of the man-eater tigress's cubs.
(c) A cow killed by a leopard.
(d) Evidence that it was the man-eater tigress.
11. How does Corbett choose to approach the leopard?
(a) With all the men in long line moving forward together.
(b) He sends Robin first to scare him out of cover.
(c) He circles around him, spiraling inward.
(d) Creeping toward him in the cover of a fallen log.
12. Where does Corbett first see the Bachelor of Powalgarh?
(a) After many days of stalking him.
(b) While hunting a man-eater in a neighboring province.
(c) From the window of a train.
(d) In a beautiful glade near his home.
13. When do tigers sometimes hunt people?
(a) When they are compelled to through stress of circumstance.
(b) After they have been shot at by hunters.
(c) When people start to work in their territory.
(d) When their diet is low in salt.
14. What happens while Corbett is writing the story about Robin?
(a) Corbett finds some old pictures of Robin.
(b) Robin dies.
(c) Robin's puppies are born.
(d) Robin begs and begs to go out hunting.
15. What do the men from Champawat report having heard and seen?
(a) The tigress wailing all night after getting shot.
(b) The ghosts of the tigress's victims.
(c) The tigress carrying a naked woman in its mouth as she wailed and screamed for help.
(d) The woman running through the woods calling to her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corbett say plays an important part in the sport of hunting man-eaters?
2. What does Corbett learn about the Chowgrarh tiger at the first village?
3. Who comes to visit Corbett as soon as he arrives on the scene to hunt the Chowgarh tigers?
4. When Robin backs away from the clerodendron bush, what does Corbett know this means?
5. What did the tigress of Muktesar do with the first person she killed?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)