|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sen help Nataraj?
2. What does Vasu come to talk to Nataraj about?
3. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
4. Where does the group that leaves Nataraj's house go when they leave?
5. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
2. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
3. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
4. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
5. What interaction to Vasu and Nataraj have after Kumar and the mahout leave Mempi?
6. What is Nataraj's first plan to keep Vasu from shooting Kumar?
7. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
8. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
9. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
10. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
All the main characters in The Man-eater of Malgudi represent some faction or sentiment of the English occupation of India.
Part 1. What does each character represent? Are they blatant or subtle?
Part 2. How is each character identifiable as representing the person or thing of historical India? Give some examples of how each character is identifiable.
Part 3. Do any of the characters change during the book? If so, what does this mean, and do they represent a historical change as well?
Essay Topic 3
Rangi is a minor, but pivotal, character in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Rangi.
Part 1. Who is Rangi? What might she symbolize or represent?
Part 2. Rangi exerts great personal influence wherever she goes, even though she is seen as a "lowly" character. She is also participating as a important figure in the center of the festival and the procession. Explain what R.K. Narayan means by this.
Part 3. Rangi is closest to Vasu when he dies, and has the most plausible plan of all involved to save Kumar. What does R.K. Narayan mean to tell us by this?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)