|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
2. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
3. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
4. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
5. What help does Nataraj seek from Sen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
2. What incident with Nataraj happens in the crowds during the mayor's speech?
3. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
4. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
5. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
6. What interaction to Vasu and Nataraj have after Kumar and the mahout leave Mempi?
7. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
8. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
9. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
10. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of pride is a recurring theme in the book The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about pride and how it relates to the book.
Part 1. What is pride? What forms can it take and what influences or changes its qualities?
Part 2. How does pride play a role in the novel The Man-eater of Malgudi? What message does the book have about it?
Essay Topic 3
Consider this famous quote by Mahatma Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated."
Part 1. Do you agree with the quote? Why or why not?
Part 2. Why is this theme central to the story The Man-eater of Malgudi?
Part 3. How does the treatment of animals help define the characters of Nataraj and Vasu?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)