|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
2. What reason does Sastri give for being delayed returning from his niece's wedding?
3. What is Nataraj's intent when he goes up to Vasu's room when the procession is about to come by?
4. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
5. What does Nataraj say was the greatest damage caused by the man-eater?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
2. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
3. What is Nataraj's first plan to keep Vasu from shooting Kumar?
4. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
5. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
6. What incident with Nataraj happens in the crowds during the mayor's speech?
7. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
8. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
9. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
10. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 2
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
Essay Topic 3
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)