|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is still good friends with Nataraj after Vasu's death?
2. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
3. Why does K.J. come to the press?
4. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
5. What does Nataraj try to do for the poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
2. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
3. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
4. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
5. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
6. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
7. What incident with Nataraj happens in the crowds during the mayor's speech?
8. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
9. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
10. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vasu is a central character in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Vasu.
Part 1. Describe the character of Vasu. Who does he represent from the history of India?
Part 2. Give examples from the book of the actions of Vasu and explain how they parallel and symbolize the English occupation of India.
Essay Topic 2
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)