|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about Vasu?
2. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
3. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
4. What causes the delay in the procession?
5. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
2. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
3. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
4. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
5. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
6. What happens when Nataraj travels to Mempi with the information about the animal hospital?
7. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
8. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
9. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
10. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 2
All the main characters in The Man-eater of Malgudi represent some faction or sentiment of the English occupation of India.
Part 1. What does each character represent? Are they blatant or subtle?
Part 2. How is each character identifiable as representing the person or thing of historical India? Give some examples of how each character is identifiable.
Part 3. Do any of the characters change during the book? If so, what does this mean, and do they represent a historical change as well?
Essay Topic 3
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)