|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu offer Nataraj when he hears of the celebration, and what is Nataraj's reaction?
2. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about Vasu?
3. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
4. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
5. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
2. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
3. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
4. How is Vasu's death discovered and made known?
5. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
6. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
7. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
8. What happens when Nataraj travels to Mempi with the information about the animal hospital?
9. What incident with Nataraj happens in the crowds during the mayor's speech?
10. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The green folder with the accounts for the festival is the catalyst for some awkward interactions between Nataraj and Vasu. What role do the festival accounts play?
Part 1. What does the green folder represent? Why is its transference from Nataraj to Vasu important?
Part 2. Vasu never returns the green folder, but rather declares it lost. What is the significance of this?
Part 3. After Vasu's death, Nataraj sees the green folder and carefully takes it back without leaving prints so he won't be accused of stealing. Explain the significance of this scene.
Part 4. When Nataraj finally has the green folder back he still finds very little actual money. Rather, there is just the lists of people who gave money for the festival. Explain the symbolism behind this and the point R.K. Narayan is making.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
Essay Topic 3
R.K. Narayan portrays and unflattering picture of science and logic in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. What character most represents a scientific and logical standpoint? How does this character get along with those around him? What is he governed by?
Part 2. Who is most counters science and logic in the book? How?
Part 3. Cite some interactions between characters to give insight into the point R.K. Narayan is making about the interaction of the spiritual with logic and science.
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)