|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
2. Who arrives at the last moment and is able to get Kumar to stand?
3. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
4. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
5. Who comes to visit Nataraj at home while he is resting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
2. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
3. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
4. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
5. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
6. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
7. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
8. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
9. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
10. What is Nataraj's first plan to keep Vasu from shooting Kumar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 2
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the religious and political affairs of India during the mid-twentieth century.
Part 1. Explain the British occupation and the consequences it had on Indian culture and life.
Part 2. Describe the non-violent protests that expelled the English. Who were the major players in the revolution? How did they achieve their goals?
Part 3. What were the major religions present in India at the time, and what happened when the English left?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)