|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj remove from Vasu's apartment?
2. How do Nataraj and Sastri raise money for the celebration?
3. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
4. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
5. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What day do they choose for the celebration, and how do they choose it?
2. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
3. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
4. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
5. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
6. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
7. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
8. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
9. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
10. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Vasu is a central character in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Vasu.
Part 1. Describe the character of Vasu. Who does he represent from the history of India?
Part 2. Give examples from the book of the actions of Vasu and explain how they parallel and symbolize the English occupation of India.
Essay Topic 3
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)