|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sen like to discuss?
2. How does Nataraj feel about people coming through the blue curtain into the back of the press?
3. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
4. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
5. What does Vasu receive from the forestry department?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the financial situation between Nataraj and the adjournment lawyer?
2. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
3. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
4. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
5. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
6. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
7. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
8. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
9. Explain the relationship developing in chapter two between Vasu and Nataraj. What are their interactions like?
10. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The elephant Kumar was a central character in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Even though he was not an active character, he was one of great importance.
Part 1. Why was Kumar so important? What did he represent?
Part 2. Why did R.K. Narayan choose an elephant for the role of Kumar? Could it have been an tiger? What do elephants in general represent?
Part 3. What saved Kumar in the end? How close was Kumar to being lost? What would have been the symbolic consequences of losing Kumar?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 3
The Man-Eater of Malgudi is a piece of fiction that acts as a political commentary. Write an essay about artistic political commentary.
Part 1. How is the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi a political commentary? What is its message?
Part 2. What other art forms commonly act as political commentary? How?
Part 3. Cite or show another work that is also meant as a political commentary. How is it recognizable as such? What does it mean?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)