|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
3. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
4. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
5. What makes Vasu change and become soft and agreeable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
2. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
3. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
4. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
5. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
6. Explain the relationship developing in chapter two between Vasu and Nataraj. What are their interactions like?
7. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
8. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
9. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
10. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
Essay Topic 2
The Man-Eater of Malgudi is a piece of fiction that acts as a political commentary. Write an essay about artistic political commentary.
Part 1. How is the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi a political commentary? What is its message?
Part 2. What other art forms commonly act as political commentary? How?
Part 3. Cite or show another work that is also meant as a political commentary. How is it recognizable as such? What does it mean?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of pride is a recurring theme in the book The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about pride and how it relates to the book.
Part 1. What is pride? What forms can it take and what influences or changes its qualities?
Part 2. How does pride play a role in the novel The Man-eater of Malgudi? What message does the book have about it?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)