|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
2. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
3. How did Kumar come to Mempi?
4. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
5. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
2. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
3. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
4. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
5. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
6. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
7. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
8. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
9. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
10. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The elephant Kumar was a central character in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Even though he was not an active character, he was one of great importance.
Part 1. Why was Kumar so important? What did he represent?
Part 2. Why did R.K. Narayan choose an elephant for the role of Kumar? Could it have been an tiger? What do elephants in general represent?
Part 3. What saved Kumar in the end? How close was Kumar to being lost? What would have been the symbolic consequences of losing Kumar?
Essay Topic 2
In The Man-Eater of Malgudi the animal hospital is nothing but a barren field despite the fully trained veterinarian and all his equipment sitting in the little shack. Write an essay about the difficulties of international aid.
Part 1. Explain the situation of the animal hospital in The Man-Eater of Malgudi.
Part 2. Is there blame to be assigned to any party in such a situation? Who? What could have been done for a better result?
Part 3. What are some of the crucial aspects to keep in mind when developing international aid projects? Are there logical steps to take to avoid wastes such as the animal hospital?
Essay Topic 3
The green folder with the accounts for the festival is the catalyst for some awkward interactions between Nataraj and Vasu. What role do the festival accounts play?
Part 1. What does the green folder represent? Why is its transference from Nataraj to Vasu important?
Part 2. Vasu never returns the green folder, but rather declares it lost. What is the significance of this?
Part 3. After Vasu's death, Nataraj sees the green folder and carefully takes it back without leaving prints so he won't be accused of stealing. Explain the significance of this scene.
Part 4. When Nataraj finally has the green folder back he still finds very little actual money. Rather, there is just the lists of people who gave money for the festival. Explain the symbolism behind this and the point R.K. Narayan is making.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)