|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
2. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
3. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
4. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
5. Why does the adjournment lawyer owe Nataraj?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
2. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
3. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
4. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
5. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
6. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
7. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
8. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
9. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
10. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the religious and political affairs of India during the mid-twentieth century.
Part 1. Explain the British occupation and the consequences it had on Indian culture and life.
Part 2. Describe the non-violent protests that expelled the English. Who were the major players in the revolution? How did they achieve their goals?
Part 3. What were the major religions present in India at the time, and what happened when the English left?
Essay Topic 3
In The Man-Eater of Malgudi the animal hospital is nothing but a barren field despite the fully trained veterinarian and all his equipment sitting in the little shack. Write an essay about the difficulties of international aid.
Part 1. Explain the situation of the animal hospital in The Man-Eater of Malgudi.
Part 2. Is there blame to be assigned to any party in such a situation? Who? What could have been done for a better result?
Part 3. What are some of the crucial aspects to keep in mind when developing international aid projects? Are there logical steps to take to avoid wastes such as the animal hospital?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)