|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
2. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
3. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
4. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
5. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
2. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
3. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
4. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
5. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
6. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
7. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
8. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
9. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
10. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author of The Man-eater of Malgudi is a respected and prolific author. Write an essay about R.K. Narayan.
Part 1. Biography. Where did R.K. Narayan grow up and study? When did he live and what important events did he witness?
Part 2. What influence on his work did the political situation of era he lived in have?
Part 3. What others works has he produced and what recognition has he received?
Essay Topic 2
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 3
"The universe," says Sastri, "has survived all the rakshasas that were ever born. Every demon carries within him, unknown to himself, a tiny seed of self-destruction, and goes up in thin air at the most unexpected moment."
This quote by Sastri represents a central theme of the book: the conflict of good and evil. Write an essay about the sentiment behind this quote.
Part 1. Do you agree with Sastri's sentiment? Does evil carry the seed of its own destruction?
Part 2. Cite other works, religious or fictional, that address this concept. What do they have to say?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)