|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a rakshasa?
2. What does Sen like to discuss?
3. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
4. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
5. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
2. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
3. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
4. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
5. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
6. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
7. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
8. What does Nataraj do when he has difficulty finding a puppy for the septuagenarian's grandson? How does his own son get involved?
9. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
10. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider this famous quote by Mahatma Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated."
Part 1. Do you agree with the quote? Why or why not?
Part 2. Why is this theme central to the story The Man-eater of Malgudi?
Part 3. How does the treatment of animals help define the characters of Nataraj and Vasu?
Essay Topic 2
A big part of the message in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi was in the way the book ended. Write an essay about the final happenings of the book.
Part 1. Discuss the symbolic importance of the various characters in the final chapters; Include at least Kumar in the procession, Nataraj at home, Vasu in his attic, Rangi dancing, and the poet's creation at the heart of the celebration.
Part 2. Now discuss the important actions taken by these figures and how they relate to historical events.
Part 3. Discuss the death of Vasu. How many characters tried to protect Kumar from him? Did any of them succeed in taking definitive action against him? What did foil Vasu? What is R.K. Narayan saying by that?
Essay Topic 3
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)