|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
2. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
3. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
4. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
5. What is Nataraj working on when Vasu wants to take him on a jeep ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
2. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
3. What is the affair regarding the septuagenarian and a dog?
4. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
5. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
6. How does the business transaction unfold between Nataraj and Vasu?
7. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
8. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
9. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
10. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The green folder with the accounts for the festival is the catalyst for some awkward interactions between Nataraj and Vasu. What role do the festival accounts play?
Part 1. What does the green folder represent? Why is its transference from Nataraj to Vasu important?
Part 2. Vasu never returns the green folder, but rather declares it lost. What is the significance of this?
Part 3. After Vasu's death, Nataraj sees the green folder and carefully takes it back without leaving prints so he won't be accused of stealing. Explain the significance of this scene.
Part 4. When Nataraj finally has the green folder back he still finds very little actual money. Rather, there is just the lists of people who gave money for the festival. Explain the symbolism behind this and the point R.K. Narayan is making.
Essay Topic 3
All the main characters in The Man-eater of Malgudi represent some faction or sentiment of the English occupation of India.
Part 1. What does each character represent? Are they blatant or subtle?
Part 2. How is each character identifiable as representing the person or thing of historical India? Give some examples of how each character is identifiable.
Part 3. Do any of the characters change during the book? If so, what does this mean, and do they represent a historical change as well?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)