|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interaction does Vasu have with a woman and her daughter on the roadside?
2. What is the Star?
3. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
4. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
5. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
2. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
3. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
4. Who does Vasu bring to the press to meet Nataraj, and what happens?
5. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
6. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
7. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
8. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
9. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
10. What does Nataraj do when he has difficulty finding a puppy for the septuagenarian's grandson? How does his own son get involved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 2
Vasu is a central character in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Vasu.
Part 1. Describe the character of Vasu. Who does he represent from the history of India?
Part 2. Give examples from the book of the actions of Vasu and explain how they parallel and symbolize the English occupation of India.
Essay Topic 3
All the main characters in The Man-eater of Malgudi represent some faction or sentiment of the English occupation of India.
Part 1. What does each character represent? Are they blatant or subtle?
Part 2. How is each character identifiable as representing the person or thing of historical India? Give some examples of how each character is identifiable.
Part 3. Do any of the characters change during the book? If so, what does this mean, and do they represent a historical change as well?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)