|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
2. What does Vasu say when Sen criticizes Nehru?
3. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
4. What are the dynamics between Vasu and the poet?
5. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Vasu's death discovered and made known?
2. Describe the uncomfortable interaction between Nataraj and the poet when Nataraj sees the poet passes by the fountain.
3. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
4. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
5. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
6. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
7. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
8. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
9. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
10. What is Nataraj's first plan to keep Vasu from shooting Kumar?
Essay Topic 1
All the main characters in The Man-eater of Malgudi represent some faction or sentiment of the English occupation of India.
Part 1. What does each character represent? Are they blatant or subtle?
Part 2. How is each character identifiable as representing the person or thing of historical India? Give some examples of how each character is identifiable.
Part 3. Do any of the characters change during the book? If so, what does this mean, and do they represent a historical change as well?
Essay Topic 2
Vasu is a central character in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Vasu.
Part 1. Describe the character of Vasu. Who does he represent from the history of India?
Part 2. Give examples from the book of the actions of Vasu and explain how they parallel and symbolize the English occupation of India.
Essay Topic 3
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
This section contains 2,649 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)