|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new problem brought on by Vasu bothers Sastri at the press?
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
3. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
4. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
5. What does speaking to Vasu remind Nataraj of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
2. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
3. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
4. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
5. What is the financial situation between Nataraj and the adjournment lawyer?
6. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
7. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
8. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
9. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
10. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 2
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
Essay Topic 3
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)