|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interaction does Vasu have with a woman and her daughter on the roadside?
2. What does speaking to Vasu remind Nataraj of?
3. Where is the village of Mempi?
4. What was lost when Nataraj's grandmother passed away?
5. What activity does Vasu start to engage in as his poaching becomes more difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
2. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
3. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
4. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
5. What happens when Nataraj travels to Mempi with the information about the animal hospital?
6. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
7. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
8. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
9. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
10. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of pride is a recurring theme in the book The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about pride and how it relates to the book.
Part 1. What is pride? What forms can it take and what influences or changes its qualities?
Part 2. How does pride play a role in the novel The Man-eater of Malgudi? What message does the book have about it?
Essay Topic 3
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
This section contains 2,580 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)