|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
2. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
3. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
4. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
5. How does Vasu end up in Nataraj's attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
2. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
3. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
4. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
5. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
6. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
7. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
8. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
9. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
10. Who does Vasu bring to the press to meet Nataraj, and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
R.K. Narayan portrays and unflattering picture of science and logic in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. What character most represents a scientific and logical standpoint? How does this character get along with those around him? What is he governed by?
Part 2. Who is most counters science and logic in the book? How?
Part 3. Cite some interactions between characters to give insight into the point R.K. Narayan is making about the interaction of the spiritual with logic and science.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
Essay Topic 3
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)