Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
2. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
3. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
4. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
5. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
2. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
3. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
4. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
5. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
6. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
7. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
8. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
9. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
10. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
Essay Topic 1
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 2
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the religious and political affairs of India during the mid-twentieth century.
Part 1. Explain the British occupation and the consequences it had on Indian culture and life.
Part 2. Describe the non-violent protests that expelled the English. Who were the major players in the revolution? How did they achieve their goals?
Part 3. What were the major religions present in India at the time, and what happened when the English left?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)