Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
2. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
3. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
4. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
5. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
2. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
3. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
4. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
5. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
6. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
7. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
8. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
9. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
10. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
Write an essay about the religious and political affairs of India during the mid-twentieth century.
Part 1. Explain the British occupation and the consequences it had on Indian culture and life.
Part 2. Describe the non-violent protests that expelled the English. Who were the major players in the revolution? How did they achieve their goals?
Part 3. What were the major religions present in India at the time, and what happened when the English left?
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
Vasu is a central character in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Vasu.
Part 1. Describe the character of Vasu. Who does he represent from the history of India?
Part 2. Give examples from the book of the actions of Vasu and explain how they parallel and symbolize the English occupation of India.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)