Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
2. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
3. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
4. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
5. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
2. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
3. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
4. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
5. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
6. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
7. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
8. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
9. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
10. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
Essay Topic 1
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi is clearly suggests that one of the characters in the book is a rakshasa, or a man-eater.
Part 1. Who is the man-eater? Is there only one?
Part 2. What is a rakshasa, and what are their roles and stories in mythology?
Part 3. How do the actions of the character or characters indicate that they are rakshasas or man-eaters?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)