|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new problem brought on by Vasu bothers Sastri at the press?
2. Where is the village of Mempi?
3. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
4. What does Nataraj call Vasu?
5. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
2. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
3. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
4. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
5. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
6. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
7. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
8. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
9. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
10. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 2
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
Essay Topic 3
The author of The Man-eater of Malgudi is a respected and prolific author. Write an essay about R.K. Narayan.
Part 1. Biography. Where did R.K. Narayan grow up and study? When did he live and what important events did he witness?
Part 2. What influence on his work did the political situation of era he lived in have?
Part 3. What others works has he produced and what recognition has he received?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)