|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the printing job Nataraj was working on when Vasu takes him away urgent?
2. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
3. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
4. What does Vasu want printed?
5. What had lived before in the house on Kabir street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
2. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
3. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
4. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
5. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
6. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
7. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
8. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
9. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
10. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 3
In the Man-Eater of Malgudi, Vasu is labeled as a rakshasa that wreaks havoc and destruction wherever he goes. Write an essay about the destruction caused by Vasu.
1. Vasu causes destruction even as his livelihood. Write about the destruction Vasu causes in his pursuit of taxidermy, including both the initial damage and the consequences affecting those around him.
2. In what other ways does Vasu cause destruction? What are his intentions? Does he see the destruction he generates?
3. What is the destruction as seen by the eyes of Nataraj? What is the worst, according to him?
This section contains 2,680 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)