|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
2. What does Vasu bring with him when he returns from Mempi?
3. What does the old Moslem tell Nataraj about his paper?
4. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
5. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
2. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
3. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
4. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
5. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
6. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
7. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
8. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
9. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
10. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The universe," says Sastri, "has survived all the rakshasas that were ever born. Every demon carries within him, unknown to himself, a tiny seed of self-destruction, and goes up in thin air at the most unexpected moment."
This quote by Sastri represents a central theme of the book: the conflict of good and evil. Write an essay about the sentiment behind this quote.
Part 1. Do you agree with Sastri's sentiment? Does evil carry the seed of its own destruction?
Part 2. Cite other works, religious or fictional, that address this concept. What do they have to say?
Essay Topic 2
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the religious and political affairs of India during the mid-twentieth century.
Part 1. Explain the British occupation and the consequences it had on Indian culture and life.
Part 2. Describe the non-violent protests that expelled the English. Who were the major players in the revolution? How did they achieve their goals?
Part 3. What were the major religions present in India at the time, and what happened when the English left?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)