|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu want printed?
2. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
3. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
4. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
5. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
2. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
3. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
4. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
5. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
6. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
7. What does Nataraj do when he has difficulty finding a puppy for the septuagenarian's grandson? How does his own son get involved?
8. Who does Vasu bring to the press to meet Nataraj, and what happens?
9. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
10. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, Nataraj goes through a transformation. Write an essay about how Nataraj changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Part 1. In the beginning of the book, what is important to Nataraj? How well does he fit into his community?
Part 2. As the book progresses, what influences exert pressure on Nataraj and induce change?
Part 3. By the end of the book, how has Nataraj changed? What is important to him? How well does he get along with the community around him?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 3
A big part of the message in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi was in the way the book ended. Write an essay about the final happenings of the book.
Part 1. Discuss the symbolic importance of the various characters in the final chapters; Include at least Kumar in the procession, Nataraj at home, Vasu in his attic, Rangi dancing, and the poet's creation at the heart of the celebration.
Part 2. Now discuss the important actions taken by these figures and how they relate to historical events.
Part 3. Discuss the death of Vasu. How many characters tried to protect Kumar from him? Did any of them succeed in taking definitive action against him? What did foil Vasu? What is R.K. Narayan saying by that?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)