|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
2. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
3. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
4. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
5. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the business transaction unfold between Nataraj and Vasu?
2. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
3. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
4. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
5. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
6. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
7. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
8. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
9. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
10. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author of The Man-eater of Malgudi is a respected and prolific author. Write an essay about R.K. Narayan.
Part 1. Biography. Where did R.K. Narayan grow up and study? When did he live and what important events did he witness?
Part 2. What influence on his work did the political situation of era he lived in have?
Part 3. What others works has he produced and what recognition has he received?
Essay Topic 2
Rangi is a minor, but pivotal, character in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Rangi.
Part 1. Who is Rangi? What might she symbolize or represent?
Part 2. Rangi exerts great personal influence wherever she goes, even though she is seen as a "lowly" character. She is also participating as a important figure in the center of the festival and the procession. Explain what R.K. Narayan means by this.
Part 3. Rangi is closest to Vasu when he dies, and has the most plausible plan of all involved to save Kumar. What does R.K. Narayan mean to tell us by this?
Essay Topic 3
In The Man-Eater of Malgudi the animal hospital is nothing but a barren field despite the fully trained veterinarian and all his equipment sitting in the little shack. Write an essay about the difficulties of international aid.
Part 1. Explain the situation of the animal hospital in The Man-Eater of Malgudi.
Part 2. Is there blame to be assigned to any party in such a situation? Who? What could have been done for a better result?
Part 3. What are some of the crucial aspects to keep in mind when developing international aid projects? Are there logical steps to take to avoid wastes such as the animal hospital?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)