|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interaction does Vasu have with a woman and her daughter on the roadside?
2. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
3. What action does Nataraj take regarding Vasu?
4. What does the tea-shop man carefully tend in Mempi?
5. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
2. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
3. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
4. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
5. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
6. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
7. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
8. What is the financial situation between Nataraj and the adjournment lawyer?
9. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
10. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
Essay Topic 1
The interactions between Vasu and Nataraj are especially important in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay explaining why.
Part 1. Who do Nataraj and Vasu represent? Why are their interactions so important?
Part 2. Find interactions or dialogue between Vasu and Nataraj and analyze it as it relates to historical figures, groups, and events.
Essay Topic 2
Rangi is a minor, but pivotal, character in The Man-Eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about Rangi.
Part 1. Who is Rangi? What might she symbolize or represent?
Part 2. Rangi exerts great personal influence wherever she goes, even though she is seen as a "lowly" character. She is also participating as a important figure in the center of the festival and the procession. Explain what R.K. Narayan means by this.
Part 3. Rangi is closest to Vasu when he dies, and has the most plausible plan of all involved to save Kumar. What does R.K. Narayan mean to tell us by this?
Essay Topic 3
The story of The Man-Eater of Malgudi takes place in India. Why is India a significant setting for this story?
Part 1. Why did R.K. Narayan choose India to be the setting for this story? Could it have taken place anywhere else?
Part 2. What cultural aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
Part 3. What historical aspects of India are important for a full understanding of the story?
This section contains 2,724 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)