|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Vasu change and become soft and agreeable?
2. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
3. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
4. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
5. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
2. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
3. Explain the relationship developing in chapter two between Vasu and Nataraj. What are their interactions like?
4. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
5. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
6. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
7. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
8. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
9. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
10. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
R.K. Narayan portrays and unflattering picture of science and logic in The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. What character most represents a scientific and logical standpoint? How does this character get along with those around him? What is he governed by?
Part 2. Who is most counters science and logic in the book? How?
Part 3. Cite some interactions between characters to give insight into the point R.K. Narayan is making about the interaction of the spiritual with logic and science.
Essay Topic 2
A big part of the message in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi was in the way the book ended. Write an essay about the final happenings of the book.
Part 1. Discuss the symbolic importance of the various characters in the final chapters; Include at least Kumar in the procession, Nataraj at home, Vasu in his attic, Rangi dancing, and the poet's creation at the heart of the celebration.
Part 2. Now discuss the important actions taken by these figures and how they relate to historical events.
Part 3. Discuss the death of Vasu. How many characters tried to protect Kumar from him? Did any of them succeed in taking definitive action against him? What did foil Vasu? What is R.K. Narayan saying by that?
Essay Topic 3
Consider this famous quote by Mahatma Gandhi: "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the ways its animals are treated."
Part 1. Do you agree with the quote? Why or why not?
Part 2. Why is this theme central to the story The Man-eater of Malgudi?
Part 3. How does the treatment of animals help define the characters of Nataraj and Vasu?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)