|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Vasu at keeping his appointment?
2. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
3. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
4. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
5. What does the old Moslem tell Nataraj about his paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
2. What does Nataraj do when he has difficulty finding a puppy for the septuagenarian's grandson? How does his own son get involved?
3. What is the affair regarding the septuagenarian and a dog?
4. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
5. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
6. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
7. How does the business transaction unfold between Nataraj and Vasu?
8. When Nataraj goes into the attic with Vasu, what does he see? What transpires then between Vasu and Nataraj?
9. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
10. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of pride is a recurring theme in the book The Man-eater of Malgudi. Write an essay about pride and how it relates to the book.
Part 1. What is pride? What forms can it take and what influences or changes its qualities?
Part 2. How does pride play a role in the novel The Man-eater of Malgudi? What message does the book have about it?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book The Man-eater of Malgudi, the townspeople assume that Nataraj has murdered Vasu. Write an essay about this topic.
Part 1. Why do the people assume Nataraj has murdered Vasu? What is the historical statement that R.K. Narayan is trying to make?
Part 2. How does Nataraj feel about being accused of the murder? What does he do to establish his innocence?
Part 3. If Vasu had been alive when Nataraj went up to his room to save Kumar during the procession, do you think Nataraj would have succeeded? What would the outcome of that show down have been?
Part 4. How does the accusation of murder affect Nataraj after the affair is over? What are the long term consequences for him?
Essay Topic 3
A big part of the message in the book The Man-Eater of Malgudi was in the way the book ended. Write an essay about the final happenings of the book.
Part 1. Discuss the symbolic importance of the various characters in the final chapters; Include at least Kumar in the procession, Nataraj at home, Vasu in his attic, Rangi dancing, and the poet's creation at the heart of the celebration.
Part 2. Now discuss the important actions taken by these figures and how they relate to historical events.
Part 3. Discuss the death of Vasu. How many characters tried to protect Kumar from him? Did any of them succeed in taking definitive action against him? What did foil Vasu? What is R.K. Narayan saying by that?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)