|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By mending relations with Vasu.
(b) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(c) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
(d) By finally evicting Vasu.
2. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(b) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
(c) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(d) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
3. What is Nataraj's intent when he goes up to Vasu's room when the procession is about to come by?
(a) To kill Vasu.
(b) To attract attention so all may see who murdered Kumar.
(c) To light a fire in the attic that will make is impossible for Vasu to stay there.
(d) To reason with Vasu.
4. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Nods knowingly.
(b) Leaves on vacation.
(c) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(d) Removes the hyena from view.
5. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
(a) Vasu swears retribution on Nataraj and his friends.
(b) Vasu laughs at the inspector and brushes him off.
(c) The inspector manages to take a gun, but Vasu as an illegal one still hidden in the room.
(d) The inspector has a dislocated wrist, Vasu has his guns and a broken bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu want Nataraj to do for him?
2. Who killed Vasu and how?
3. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
4. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
5. How does Nataraj cope with K.J.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nataraj's first plan to keep Vasu from shooting Kumar?
2. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
3. How is Vasu's death discovered and made known?
4. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
5. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
6. Describe the uncomfortable interaction between Nataraj and the poet when Nataraj sees the poet passes by the fountain.
7. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
8. What day do they choose for the celebration, and how do they choose it?
9. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
10. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)