|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vasu want Nataraj to do for him?
(a) Print a book he is writing on the preservation of wildlife.
(b) Do a favor for the forestry officer.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Fix the attic.
2. Who is Kumar?
(a) An elephant trainer of great repute.
(b) The mayor of Mempi.
(c) The temple elephant.
(d) A wild elephant that has been seen around town.
3. Who is still good friends with Nataraj after Vasu's death?
4. What does Vasu come to talk to Nataraj about?
(a) Vasu wants Nataraj to fix something in the attic.
(b) Vasu wonders how the printing of his book is going.
(c) Vasu wonders if he can use some of the outdoor space of the press for storage.
(d) Vasu wonders why he didn't receive a notice of the celebration.
5. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(b) Leaves on vacation.
(c) Nods knowingly.
(d) Removes the hyena from view.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the group that leaves Nataraj's house go when they leave?
2. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
3. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
4. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
5. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nataraj travels to Mempi with the information about the animal hospital?
2. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
3. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
4. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
5. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
6. What interaction to Vasu and Nataraj have after Kumar and the mahout leave Mempi?
7. What happens when the group with the police inspector go to visit Vasu?
8. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
9. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
10. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)