|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Kumar?
(a) An elephant trainer of great repute.
(b) A wild elephant that has been seen around town.
(c) The mayor of Mempi.
(d) The temple elephant.
2. What was the result from the coroner regarding Vasu's death?
(a) It was self inflicted.
(b) He was poisened.
(c) It was of natural causes.
(d) It was caused by a concussion on the right frontal lobe.
3. What is Nataraj's intent when he goes up to Vasu's room when the procession is about to come by?
(a) To reason with Vasu.
(b) To attract attention so all may see who murdered Kumar.
(c) To light a fire in the attic that will make is impossible for Vasu to stay there.
(d) To kill Vasu.
4. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
(a) They send all their customers next door to The Star.
(b) They work late every day on juice lables.
(c) All of the above.
(d) They hire extra help.
5. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
(a) Nataraj wants the lawyer to defend him against criminal accusations.
(b) Nataraj demands the lawyer pay his printing debt.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Nataraj wants to know what he can do to protect himself against slander.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
2. What does Nataraj try to do for the poet?
3. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
4. What is the debate at Mempi regarding Kumar?
5. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
2. What happens when Nataraj visits Vasu as the procession approaches?
3. What happens when Nataraj enters Vasu's apartment after hearing about his death?
4. What does Sastri learn from Rangi about how Vasu died?
5. What is the celebration that is planned, and who is planning it?
6. What interaction to Vasu and Nataraj have after Kumar and the mahout leave Mempi?
7. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
8. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
9. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
10. What is the final interaction that Nataraj has with the adjournment lawyer? How is this different than the previous ones?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)