|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
(a) Visit the elephant.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Bathe and wash his clothes in the river.
(d) Collect news stories for the paper.
2. What are the dynamics between Vasu and the poet?
(a) Vasu gets the poet to move from the Queen Anne chair when he arrives.
(b) The poet refuses to hear Vasu talk.
(c) They knew each other previously.
(d) They are mutually respectful but distant.
3. How did Kumar come to Mempi?
(a) He was left when the tea plantation closed.
(b) He was sold to the temple by a great elephant trainer.
(c) He was given to the temple by the estate of driver who perished on the road.
(d) He wandered into town with a herd of cattle from the hills when he was six months old.
4. Where is the village of Mempi?
(a) At the foot of a great mountain range.
(b) All of the above.
(c) At the edge of the jungle.
(d) A three hour jeep ride from Malgudi.
5. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
(a) He was a large game safari hunter that protected travelers as they crossed wilderness.
(b) He was a strong man that performed at markets and fairs crushing granite and bending iron.
(c) None of the above.
(d) He was a monk in an isolated monastery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu bring back to the building with him all the time after he starts going to the forest?
2. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
3. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
4. What does Nataraj ask Vasu for at the tea-shop in Mempi?
5. What advice does Nataraj receive about Vasu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
2. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
3. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
4. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
5. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
6. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
7. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
8. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
9. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
10. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)