|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
(a) Since his daughters wedding he has had to give many gifts to his in-laws.
(b) The people he helps can't pay their bills.
(c) He is negligent about handling money.
(d) Few people seek legal council.
2. What is Nataraj's reaction to the problem the septuagenarian presents?
(a) Nataraj wishes he would just go away.
(b) Nataraj vows to help him.
(c) Nataraj is deeply moved by the old man's plight.
(d) Nataraj tells him that it's not his problem.
3. What happened during the time Nataraj was studying at the Albert Mission?
(a) He was betrothed by his family to a girl he refused to marry.
(b) The Star needed a new apprentice and offered him the position.
(c) His grandfather passed away and his father inherited the ancestral home.
(d) He had many dreams about an elephant.
4. Which of the following best describes the relationship between Nataraj and Sastri?
(a) Sastri almost lives at the press because he has no family.
(b) Sastri and Nataraj share all tasks equally.
(c) Sometimes Nataraj feels like the employee instead of the employer.
(d) Nataraj rules the press with an iron fist and drives Sastri hard.
5. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(b) That he would starve to death.
(c) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(d) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
2. Where is the village of Mempi?
3. What does Vasu receive from the forestry department?
4. What is a rakshasa?
5. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
2. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
3. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
4. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
5. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
6. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
7. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
8. What is the financial situation between Nataraj and the adjournment lawyer?
9. What happened to the transaction with the client that Nataraj left waiting when he left with Vasu?
10. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)