|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
(a) His fiancee.
(b) The prime minister.
(c) An animal trainer.
(d) A forestry official.
2. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
(a) Yes, but pays a token rent amount.
(b) Yes, he gave Natraraj a sum upfront to move in.
(c) No, he isn't answerable to Nataraj.
(d) No, he doesn't pay rent despite living in the attic.
3. How does Sastri change the conversation with the septuagenarian?
(a) Sastri knows more of the story and shares his insight.
(b) Sastri tells the old man to leave the building.
(c) Sastri mentions Vasu as the possible offender.
(d) Sastri demands action.
4. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
(a) A printing press was started to make them work together.
(b) Nataraj's grandfother split the family up and emptied the house.
(c) The brothers were sent in different directions to learn careers.
(d) None of the above.
5. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
(a) That he needs to be paid up front.
(b) That it will be expensive to print.
(c) To make careful final revisions and then bring it back.
(d) That there is a long waiting period to get things printed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu receive from the forestry department?
2. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
3. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
4. What does Nataraj call Vasu?
5. How does Nataraj feel about people coming through the blue curtain into the back of the press?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts consume Nataraj the day of the festival? What action does he take to prevent the thing he fears from happening.
2. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
3. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
4. What does Rangi's visit to Nataraj change at Nataraj's house? How?
5. Why did Muthu come to the press to visit Nataraj?
6. Describe the business that Nataraj runs.
7. How is Sen able to help Nataraj?
8. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
9. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
10. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)