|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interaction does Vasu have with a woman and her daughter on the roadside?
(a) He tries to persuade the woman and her daughter to join him and Nataraj in the jeep.
(b) He stops the car and helps the women tie up a bundle on a horse that has fallen off.
(c) He grabs some snacks the poor woman was peddling and leaves without paying.
(d) He aims the jeep at them and swerves at the last moment, laughing at their fright.
2. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
(a) Pretending to be his friend when he was not.
(b) Turning the neighbors against him.
(c) Stealing some of his merchandise.
(d) Setting the forestry officer on him.
3. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) The owners of the Star.
(b) The girl he spurned at the market.
(c) His extended family.
(d) The politicians.
4. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
(a) Vasu drives him back.
(b) By taxi.
(c) An eight hour bus ride on credit.
(d) The tea-shop man gets him a ride with a relative.
5. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
(a) He uses the back wall of his home where he can line up the machines.
(b) He can just squeeze everything into the place he has.
(c) The back room of the place he owns.
(d) A shop downtown with three rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
2. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
3. What is it that Vasu's guest wants printed?
4. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
5. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the police determine killed Vasu? Who were there suspects?
2. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
3. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
4. How did the police investigation turn out? What was the common belief about Vasu's death?
5. What happens between Vasu and Nataraj with Vasu's purse?
6. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
7. How does Vasu come to help with the collection of funds for the celebration? What do people say about him?
8. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
9. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
10. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)