|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
(a) No, his closest family is a brother that lives nearby.
(b) No, he was raised an orphan and never married.
(c) Yes, he has a wife and a son.
(d) Yes, his four sons have recently married.
2. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The festival would be poorly attended.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
(d) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
3. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
(a) Turning the neighbors against him.
(b) Setting the forestry officer on him.
(c) Stealing some of his merchandise.
(d) Pretending to be his friend when he was not.
4. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Collect news stories for the paper.
(c) Bathe and wash his clothes in the river.
(d) Visit the elephant.
5. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) His extended family.
(b) The owners of the Star.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The girl he spurned at the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
2. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
3. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
4. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
5. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rangi and Nataraj discuss several things when she taps on the grille of the press. What do they discuss and what is their conversation like?
2. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
3. What kind of events unfold in chapter one of "The Man-eater of Malgudi?"
4. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
5. How is Vasu's death discovered and made known?
6. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
7. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
8. What is the night and morning before the celebration like for Nataraj?
9. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
10. How does Sastri say that demons usually meet their demise?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)