|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A foreman, an office boy, a compositor, a binder and an accountant.
(c) Just one, an old man called Sastri.
(d) Nataraj worked with his whole family at the press.
2. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
(a) He uses the back wall of his home where he can line up the machines.
(b) He can just squeeze everything into the place he has.
(c) The back room of the place he owns.
(d) A shop downtown with three rooms.
3. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
(a) To speak to Vasu.
(b) To propose a law against guns.
(c) To have Vasu evicted.
(d) To get a new puppy for his grandson.
4. What does Vasu do for a living?
(a) Vasu is out of work.
(b) Vasu is a hunter.
(c) Vasu is police officer.
(d) Vasu is a taxidermist.
5. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The festival would be poorly attended.
(d) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
2. What does the tea-shop man carefully tend in Mempi?
3. How is Vasu at keeping his appointment?
4. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
5. What stories does Sastri tell Nataraj?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
2. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
3. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
4. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
5. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
6. Explain the relationship developing in chapter two between Vasu and Nataraj. What are their interactions like?
7. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
8. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
9. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
10. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)