|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the office that Nataraj must visit?
(a) Over a cotton factory.
(b) In Mempi.
(c) Next door to the courthouse.
(d) All the way across town.
2. What does the old Moslem tell Nataraj about his paper?
(a) He does not want it.
(b) It is too old and completely brown.
(c) It is the best in the neighborhood.
(d) He should store it differently.
3. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
(b) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(c) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
(d) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
4. What is it that Vasu's guest wants printed?
(a) Posters about poaching.
(b) A flier for a festival.
(c) Forestry rules and regulations.
(d) A book of a collection of philosophical ideas and virtues.
5. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
(a) The feast that Vasu has paid for.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Both have been slighted by Vasu.
(d) The tea-shop man needs to print some fliers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
2. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
3. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
4. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
5. What does Nataraj call Vasu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
2. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
3. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
4. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
5. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
6. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
7. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
8. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
9. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
10. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)