|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
(a) Few people seek legal council.
(b) The people he helps can't pay their bills.
(c) He is negligent about handling money.
(d) Since his daughters wedding he has had to give many gifts to his in-laws.
3. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
(a) Many stuffed animals, including his own cat.
(b) The head of an elephant.
(c) Decaying skins piled in a corner.
(d) The tiger skin laid out and ready for stuffing.
4. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
(a) He was a monk in an isolated monastery.
(b) He was a large game safari hunter that protected travelers as they crossed wilderness.
(c) None of the above.
(d) He was a strong man that performed at markets and fairs crushing granite and bending iron.
5. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
(a) The adjournment lawyer.
(b) The police inspector.
(c) The septuagenarian.
(d) The forestry officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
2. How did Kumar come to Mempi?
3. Which of the following most accurately portrays the conversations between Nataraj and Vasu as of chapter two?
4. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
5. How does Sastri change the conversation with the septuagenarian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the affair regarding the septuagenarian and a dog?
2. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
3. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
4. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
5. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
6. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
7. Explain how Vasu arranges to move into Nataraj's attic.
8. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
9. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
10. What goes on the front room of the shop that Nataraj runs?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)