|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nataraj gain leverage in negotiations with the old moslem?
(a) He explains how many employees he has to pay.
(b) He pulls Vasu into the transaction as someone he is answerable to.
(c) He denies the faults of the paper.
(d) None of the above.
2. What is Nataraj's poet friend trying to accomplish?
(a) Nataraj's poet friend wants Nataraj to marry his sister.
(b) Nataraj's poet friend is writing the life of Krishna is monsyllabic verse.
(c) Nataraj's poet friend is documenting the life of the town in poems.
(d) Nataraj's poet friend is determined to prove Nataraj has no family.
3. Why does the adjournment lawyer owe Nataraj?
(a) He is Nataraj's tenent.
(b) None of the above.
(c) He has not yet paid for the wedding invitations.
(d) Nataraj lent him money.
4. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
(a) He doesn't, he lets it unfold as it will.
(b) He defends Sen and the poet all the time.
(c) He removes the Queen Anne chair.
(d) He sends Vasu out on frequent errands.
5. What does Vasu bring with him when he returns from Mempi?
(a) The head of a tiger.
(b) The tea-shop man.
(c) Invitations to a procession with an elephant.
(d) The printing order from the tea-shop man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
3. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
4. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
5. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the forestry officer comes to the press looking for Vasu?
2. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
3. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
4. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
5. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
6. Who does Vasu bring to the press to meet Nataraj, and what happens?
7. Where does Nataraj seek help in resolving his legal affairs?
8. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
9. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
10. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living upstairs?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)