|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
2. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
(a) To speak to Vasu.
(b) To propose a law against guns.
(c) To have Vasu evicted.
(d) To get a new puppy for his grandson.
3. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
(b) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(c) The money will not be enough.
(d) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
4. Where is the village of Mempi?
(a) At the edge of the jungle.
(b) A three hour jeep ride from Malgudi.
(c) At the foot of a great mountain range.
(d) All of the above.
5. What does Vasu want printed?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Business cards and letterhead.
(c) Advertisements for his business services.
(d) Fliers about a festival.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Nataraj take regarding Vasu?
2. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
3. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
4. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
5. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nataraj feel about Vasu living in the attic as he observes him practicing his profession? Why?
2. What business does Nataraj do when he is in Mempi?
3. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
4. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
5. What happens when Vasu returns, and what does he want to show Nataraj?
6. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
7. What was the bus ride back to Malgudi like for Nataraj?
8. Who is Vasu, what is his history, and what is the first thing he does in his relationship with Nataraj?
9. What is the affair regarding the septuagenarian and a dog?
10. What is the financial situation between Nataraj and the adjournment lawyer?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)