|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
(a) We see the history of the house on Kabir Street.
(b) We see the relationships Nataraj has with other people.
(c) We see what Nataraj's life is normally like.
(d) All of the above.
2. What activity does Vasu start to engage in as his poaching becomes more difficult?
(a) Vasu starts bringing women to the apartment.
(b) Vasu starts bullying people for money.
(c) Vasu starts yelling and threatening the neighborhood children.
(d) None of the above.
3. Which of the following most accurately portrays the conversations between Nataraj and Vasu as of chapter two?
(a) Personal and private.
(b) Lengthy and thoughtful.
(c) Abrasive and slightly hostile.
(d) Succinct and professional.
4. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Content, kind, and hard working.
(b) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(c) Ambitious and driven.
(d) Frivolous and vain.
5. Where is the village of Mempi?
(a) At the edge of the jungle.
(b) At the foot of a great mountain range.
(c) All of the above.
(d) A three hour jeep ride from Malgudi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
2. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
3. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
4. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
5. Which of the following best describes the feelings of the poet about Vasu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the second brown envelope that arrives for Nataraj and who is it from? What does he promise in response to it?
2. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
3. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
4. How do Sen and Vasu get along?
5. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
6. Explain the transaction between Nataraj and the old Moslem.
7. Who does Nataraj employ at the printing press? What is his relationship with his hired help?
8. What does Nataraj do resolve his concerns about Vasu's tenancy?
9. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
10. What is the friendship between Vasu and Nataraj like after Nataraj tells Vasu he will need the attic?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)