|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(b) Ambitious and driven.
(c) Content, kind, and hard working.
(d) Frivolous and vain.
2. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
(a) That he needs to be paid up front.
(b) To make careful final revisions and then bring it back.
(c) That it will be expensive to print.
(d) That there is a long waiting period to get things printed.
3. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) He was in a hurry to leave.
(b) The press machine was broken.
(c) He didn't believe he was serious.
(d) His staff was out.
4. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
(a) Just Sastri.
(b) As many as I need.
(c) Six people.
(d) I employ several specialists.
5. What had lived before in the house on Kabir street?
(a) A taxidermist.
(b) Nataraj's extended family, consisting of four uncles and their families.
(c) The owner of the Star.
(d) A wealthy family that wanted Nataraj to marry their daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vasu want printed?
2. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
3. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
4. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
5. How does Nataraj feel about having the taxidermy business upstairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vasu get along with the poet and Babu? Give examples.
2. How does Vasu respond to Nataraj's first efforts to remove him from the attic?
3. What does Vasu receive in the mail from the forestry department, and what is his reaction to it?
4. What does Nataraj fear that Vasu will do in order to retaliate regarding the forestry officer and what does he do about it?
5. What is the purpose of the blue curtain separating the two rooms of the printing press, and why is this important to Nataraj?
6. What is the affair regarding the septuagenarian and a dog?
7. How are the relationships Nataraj has with the people around him?
8. How does Nataraj end up on a long day trip with no money and with a client waiting in his press?
9. Who is Rangi, and how do Sastri and Nataraj cross paths with her? What does Nataraj surmise when he starts seeing her?
10. What is the story of the house on Kabir Street?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)