|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the debate at Mempi regarding Kumar?
(a) The debate is whether to make Kumar walk, sick as he is, to the doctor.
(b) The debate is over how much money the temple can spend on Kumar.
(c) The debate is over what to do about Vasu.
(d) The debate is about whether or not they can trust Nataraj.
2. How does Nataraj cope with K.J.?
(a) Nataraj presents a bill to K.J. for overdue services.
(b) Nataraj has Sastri tell K.J. that Nataraj hasn't been in the press for two days.
(c) Nataraj returns K.J.'s money and tells him to take his business elsewhere.
(d) Nataraj asks K.J. for a donation towards the festival, and he gets uncomfortable and leaves.
3. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
(a) Everything is finalized and Nataraj can dedicate himself to the issue of Vasu.
(b) Nataraj dumps everything on Sastri so he can get some sleep.
(c) There are many things left to do and Nataraj barely has time even to wash.
(d) Various performers cancelled and the procession might not happen.
4. What is Nataraj's idea to keep Kumar safe?
(c) To take Vasu with him into the crowds where it will be hard for him shoot Kumar.
5. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
(a) An alarm clock.
(b) The horror at what he just did.
(c) Concern for the crowd below.
(d) Vasu's rage.
6. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) That he had saved Kumar's life.
(b) That he should be elected to public office.
(c) That he should leave the neighborhood.
(d) That he had killed a rakshasa single handedly.
7. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(b) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
(c) They ran out of the letters K and R.
(d) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
8. What does Vasu come to talk to Nataraj about?
(a) Vasu wonders how the printing of his book is going.
(b) Vasu wonders why he didn't receive a notice of the celebration.
(c) Vasu wonders if he can use some of the outdoor space of the press for storage.
(d) Vasu wants Nataraj to fix something in the attic.
9. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
(a) He is very late from sleeping in because he stayed up all night.
(b) He is full of gossip about the temple and the poem.
(c) He is could and disdainful to Nataraj.
(d) He usually chats for half hour before leaving the mail, but this morning he is all business.
10. What date do Nataraj and Sastri choose for the celebration?
(a) The not so good day.
(b) Kumar's birthday.
(c) The only day the press had off.
(d) The good day.
11. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He has only seen him a couple times.
(b) He is researching a legal case against him.
(c) They are working together.
(d) They are no longer on speaking terms.
12. When Muthu comes to the press, what does he ask Nataraj for help with?
(a) Printing festival fliers.
(b) Framing Vasu.
(c) Finding a doctor for Kumar.
(d) Getting into Vasu's apartment.
13. What reason does Sastri give for being delayed returning from his niece's wedding?
(a) He was staying away until the dust settled about Vasu.
(b) After the wedding they went on a pilgrimage.
(c) He was investigating the murder.
(d) None of the above.
14. What strikes Nataraj about the scene when he sees Vasu?
(a) How much blood there was.
(b) How terrible he looks.
(c) That all his troubles are over.
(d) How his body fits in with the taxidermy.
15. What is the general attitude of people towards Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) People said he should be taken to jail.
(b) They avoided him.
(c) People soon forgot the whole affair and life went back to normal.
(d) He was a town hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj remove from Vasu's apartment?
2. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
3. What does Vasu want Nataraj to do for him?
4. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
5. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)