|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who killed Vasu and how?
(a) Rangi poisoned Vasu.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Muthu and other hunters struck him while he slept.
(d) Vasu killed himself slapping mosquitos on his forehead.
2. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
(a) They hire extra help.
(b) They work late every day on juice lables.
(c) All of the above.
(d) They send all their customers next door to The Star.
3. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
(a) They choose the day of the Goddess.
(b) They ask when Kumar will be available.
(c) They choose day the press will be closed.
(d) They get an astrologer to fix the date.
4. What does Nataraj remove from Vasu's apartment?
(a) The gun and Rangi's food bag.
(b) Rangi's food bag and the green folder.
(c) Vasu's purse and the stuffed tiger cub.
(d) The green folder and the stuffed tiger cub.
5. What help does Nataraj seek from Sen?
(a) Nataraj asks Sen to help him find the doctor for Kumar.
(b) Nataraj wants Sen to give a message to Vasu.
(c) Nataraj asks Sen how to defeat a rakshasa.
(d) Nataraj asks Sen to act as a go between him and the lawyer.
6. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
(a) Tell her what's going on.
(b) Confront Vasu.
(c) See a doctor.
(d) Eat and sleep.
7. What does Vasu leave in Nataraj's possession after their discussion about money?
(a) A stack of crisp hundredd rupee bills.
(b) A letter from his bank.
(c) His car.
(d) His purse.
8. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
(b) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(c) By finally evicting Vasu.
(d) By mending relations with Vasu.
9. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
(b) She was with Vasu when he died.
(c) She killed Vasu.
(d) She knew the identity of the murderer.
10. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
(a) Communicate in public with Rangi.
(b) Yell for Vishnu to save Kumar loud enough that everyone hears it.
(c) Scare Kumar.
(d) Warn the police inspector about Vasu.
11. How does Nataraj get back to town?
(a) Another eight hour bus ride.
(b) He rides on Kumar with the mahout.
(c) Vasu offers him a ride.
(d) He is given a lift by the doctor.
12. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about Vasu?
(a) Vasu plans to shoot Kumar at the parade.
(b) Vasu is very ill.
(c) Vasu is planning on keeping the celebration money.
(d) Vasu is slowly going crazy.
13. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He is researching a legal case against him.
(b) They are working together.
(c) They are no longer on speaking terms.
(d) He has only seen him a couple times.
14. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To send money.
(b) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
(c) To live in his house.
(d) To answer his questions about Vasu.
15. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
(a) Various performers cancelled and the procession might not happen.
(b) Everything is finalized and Nataraj can dedicate himself to the issue of Vasu.
(c) There are many things left to do and Nataraj barely has time even to wash.
(d) Nataraj dumps everything on Sastri so he can get some sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the post man tell Nataraj?
2. What does Nataraj try to do for the poet?
3. How do Nataraj and Sastri raise money for the celebration?
4. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
5. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)