|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
(b) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(c) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
(d) They ran out of the letters K and R.
2. Who killed Vasu and how?
(a) Vasu killed himself slapping mosquitos on his forehead.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Rangi poisoned Vasu.
(d) Muthu and other hunters struck him while he slept.
3. How does Nataraj cope with K.J.?
(a) Nataraj has Sastri tell K.J. that Nataraj hasn't been in the press for two days.
(b) Nataraj asks K.J. for a donation towards the festival, and he gets uncomfortable and leaves.
(c) Nataraj presents a bill to K.J. for overdue services.
(d) Nataraj returns K.J.'s money and tells him to take his business elsewhere.
4. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
(a) An alarm clock.
(b) Concern for the crowd below.
(c) Vasu's rage.
(d) The horror at what he just did.
5. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
(a) Tells the police she was not with Nataraj at eleven.
(b) Blames Rangi.
(c) Covers for Nataraj.
(d) Tells the police Nataraj had been associating with unsavory people.
6. What strikes Nataraj about the scene when he sees Vasu?
(a) How much blood there was.
(b) How terrible he looks.
(c) How his body fits in with the taxidermy.
(d) That all his troubles are over.
7. Who is Kumar?
(a) An elephant trainer of great repute.
(b) The temple elephant.
(c) The mayor of Mempi.
(d) A wild elephant that has been seen around town.
8. What is Nataraj's idea to keep Kumar safe?
(a) To take Vasu with him into the crowds where it will be hard for him shoot Kumar.
9. What is the debate at Mempi regarding Kumar?
(a) The debate is about whether or not they can trust Nataraj.
(b) The debate is over how much money the temple can spend on Kumar.
(c) The debate is over what to do about Vasu.
(d) The debate is whether to make Kumar walk, sick as he is, to the doctor.
10. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
(a) They choose the day of the Goddess.
(b) They choose day the press will be closed.
(c) They ask when Kumar will be available.
(d) They get an astrologer to fix the date.
11. What does Nataraj remove from Vasu's apartment?
(a) The green folder and the stuffed tiger cub.
(b) The gun and Rangi's food bag.
(c) Rangi's food bag and the green folder.
(d) Vasu's purse and the stuffed tiger cub.
12. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
(a) Nataraj wants the lawyer to defend him against criminal accusations.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Nataraj wants to know what he can do to protect himself against slander.
(d) Nataraj demands the lawyer pay his printing debt.
13. How do the poet, Sastri, and Nataraj spend the night prior to the parade?
(a) Finding ways to save Kumar.
(b) Printing labels for fruit juice.
(c) Printing a copy of the poet's book.
(d) Collecting money.
14. Who arrives at the last moment and is able to get Kumar to stand?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The doctor.
(d) A mahout.
15. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
(a) All of the above.
(b) They hire extra help.
(c) They send all their customers next door to The Star.
(d) They work late every day on juice lables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rangi tell Nataraj when she comes to his home?
2. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
3. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
4. What does Rangi say about her whereabouts the night of the procession?
5. What does Vasu want Nataraj to do for him?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)