|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the animal hospital like?
(a) The animal hospital is surrounded by sacred cows being cared for.
(b) The animal hospital is a wide open field with a little hut.
(c) The animal hospital is very modern and clean.
(d) The animal hospital is packed with animals, loud, and dirty.
2. What does Nataraj first credit the tapping on the grill he hears to?
(a) A faulty mechanism in the press.
(b) The hyena.
(c) A ghost.
3. What is the overriding emotion in Vasu's plans to shoot Kumar?
4. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) That he had saved Kumar's life.
(b) That he should leave the neighborhood.
(c) That he should be elected to public office.
(d) That he had killed a rakshasa single handedly.
5. When does Rangi come to visit Nataraj?
(a) In the morning when she is leaving Vasu's room.
(b) At night while he is printing and the rest are sleeping.
(c) Right before the parade.
(d) During the celebration.
6. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
(a) Vasu has proposed marriage to her.
(b) He is going to take her away to Bombay where she will cook for him.
(c) They have no future plans and she will no longer come to him.
(d) He has paid her in advance for her services for an entire year.
7. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
(a) Relief and subdued celebration.
(b) Blame and anger.
(c) Fear and mourning.
(d) Suspicion and theorizing.
8. How does Nataraj get back to town?
(a) He is given a lift by the doctor.
(b) Vasu offers him a ride.
(c) He rides on Kumar with the mahout.
(d) Another eight hour bus ride.
9. What is Nataraj's intent when he goes up to Vasu's room when the procession is about to come by?
(a) To light a fire in the attic that will make is impossible for Vasu to stay there.
(b) To reason with Vasu.
(c) To attract attention so all may see who murdered Kumar.
(d) To kill Vasu.
10. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
(a) She tried to seduce Vasu to distract him from the procession.
(b) She knocked Vasu on the head with the butt of his gun.
(c) She put sleeping pills in Vasu's food so he would sleep through the night.
(d) She told her devout cousins about Vasu's intent, and they murdered Vasu.
11. What is the cause for the celebration that Sastri and Nataraj undertake?
(a) Vasu's departure.
(b) A seasonal festival.
(c) The completion of the poet's book.
(d) The recovery of Kumar.
12. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
(a) She is jealous and starts fawning attention on Nataraj.
(b) She realizes the urgency of the situation around Kumar.
(c) She finally stands up to Nataraj and forbids Rangi to enter.
(d) She turns cold to Nataraj and stops tending him to go to the celebration.
13. What does Vasu come to talk to Nataraj about?
(a) Vasu wants Nataraj to fix something in the attic.
(b) Vasu wonders if he can use some of the outdoor space of the press for storage.
(c) Vasu wonders why he didn't receive a notice of the celebration.
(d) Vasu wonders how the printing of his book is going.
14. What does Nataraj wonder about his wife and Babu on the day of the celebration?
(a) If Vasu might kidnap them and hold them ransom.
(b) If he should make them stay home so they will be safe.
(c) If they appreciate all the work he did.
(d) All of the above.
15. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
2. Where does the group that leaves Nataraj's house go when they leave?
3. What does Vasu offer Nataraj when he hears of the celebration, and what is Nataraj's reaction?
4. How does Nataraj cope with K.J.?
5. Why does K.J. come to the press?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)