|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
(a) Tell her what's going on.
(b) Confront Vasu.
(c) See a doctor.
(d) Eat and sleep.
2. How does Nataraj cope with K.J.?
(a) Nataraj presents a bill to K.J. for overdue services.
(b) Nataraj returns K.J.'s money and tells him to take his business elsewhere.
(c) Nataraj has Sastri tell K.J. that Nataraj hasn't been in the press for two days.
(d) Nataraj asks K.J. for a donation towards the festival, and he gets uncomfortable and leaves.
3. What does Rangi say about her whereabouts the night of the procession?
(a) She was at home with her grandma.
(b) She never saw Vasu that night.
(c) She had gone to Vasu when summoned and he was fine.
(d) She has many alibis because she was in the procession all night.
4. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He has only seen him a couple times.
(b) They are working together.
(c) He is researching a legal case against him.
(d) They are no longer on speaking terms.
5. As time goes by after Vasu's death, what does Nataraj convince himself of?
(a) That Vasu was a fearsome demon and not a man.
(b) That he was right to steal the stuffed tiger cub.
(c) That Vasu had been a good friend.
(d) That he might have killed Vasu.
6. What was the result from the coroner regarding Vasu's death?
(a) He was poisened.
(b) It was caused by a concussion on the right frontal lobe.
(c) It was of natural causes.
(d) It was self inflicted.
7. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
8. What does Nataraj wonder about his wife and Babu on the day of the celebration?
(a) If they appreciate all the work he did.
(b) If Vasu might kidnap them and hold them ransom.
(c) If he should make them stay home so they will be safe.
(d) All of the above.
9. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To send money.
(b) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
(c) To live in his house.
(d) To answer his questions about Vasu.
10. What reason does Sastri give for being delayed returning from his niece's wedding?
(a) None of the above.
(b) After the wedding they went on a pilgrimage.
(c) He was staying away until the dust settled about Vasu.
(d) He was investigating the murder.
11. What is the animal hospital like?
(a) The animal hospital is very modern and clean.
(b) The animal hospital is packed with animals, loud, and dirty.
(c) The animal hospital is surrounded by sacred cows being cared for.
(d) The animal hospital is a wide open field with a little hut.
12. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(b) Leaves on vacation.
(c) Removes the hyena from view.
(d) Nods knowingly.
13. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
(a) Vasu has proposed marriage to her.
(b) They have no future plans and she will no longer come to him.
(c) He has paid her in advance for her services for an entire year.
(d) He is going to take her away to Bombay where she will cook for him.
14. What does Vasu come to talk to Nataraj about?
(a) Vasu wants Nataraj to fix something in the attic.
(b) Vasu wonders if he can use some of the outdoor space of the press for storage.
(c) Vasu wonders how the printing of his book is going.
(d) Vasu wonders why he didn't receive a notice of the celebration.
15. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
(a) There is not other safe path for a parade to the temple.
(b) They have already decorated the route.
(c) They only have permits for that route.
(d) It is the traditional route.
Short Answer Questions
1. What undertaking does Vasu take over from the unwilling Nataraj for the celebration?
2. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
3. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
4. What did the police find that they tried to discover the origins of?
5. What does the chemical analysis determine about the food Rangi had left for Vasu?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)