|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nataraj's wife change when Rangi comes to visit?
(a) She is jealous and starts fawning attention on Nataraj.
(b) She turns cold to Nataraj and stops tending him to go to the celebration.
(c) She finally stands up to Nataraj and forbids Rangi to enter.
(d) She realizes the urgency of the situation around Kumar.
2. What does Vasu offer Nataraj when he hears of the celebration, and what is Nataraj's reaction?
(a) Vasu offers Nataraj friendship and Nataraj willingly embraces it.
(b) Vasu offers Nataraj a stuffed animal for his parlour and Nataraj agrees.
(c) Vasu offers to move out of the attic and Nataraj tells him he doesn't have to.
(d) Vasu offers ten rupees and Nataraj says he wants a hundred.
3. As time goes by after Vasu's death, what does Nataraj convince himself of?
(a) That he might have killed Vasu.
(b) That Vasu was a fearsome demon and not a man.
(c) That he was right to steal the stuffed tiger cub.
(d) That Vasu had been a good friend.
4. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
(a) They choose day the press will be closed.
(b) They choose the day of the Goddess.
(c) They ask when Kumar will be available.
(d) They get an astrologer to fix the date.
5. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
(a) The inspector manages to take a gun, but Vasu as an illegal one still hidden in the room.
(b) Vasu swears retribution on Nataraj and his friends.
(c) Vasu laughs at the inspector and brushes him off.
(d) The inspector has a dislocated wrist, Vasu has his guns and a broken bed.
6. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Removes the hyena from view.
(b) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(c) Leaves on vacation.
(d) Nods knowingly.
7. What does Nataraj try to do for the poet?
(a) Nataraj invites the poet to move into the attic.
(b) Nataraj tries to convince the poet to write another book.
(c) Nataraj tries to give the poet the stuffed tiger cub.
(d) Nataraj tries to print a delux version of the poets book.
8. What is the overriding emotion in Vasu's plans to shoot Kumar?
9. Where does the group that leaves Nataraj's house go when they leave?
(a) None of the above.
(b) To look for police help saving Kumar.
(c) To board up Vasu's window.
(d) To walk with Kumar.
10. What does Vasu want Nataraj to do for him?
(a) Fix the attic.
(b) Do a favor for the forestry officer.
(c) Print a book he is writing on the preservation of wildlife.
(d) None of the above.
11. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
(a) She is grateful for Rangi's help saving Kumar.
(b) She wants Rangi to use the back door.
(c) It makes her very angry.
(d) She doesn't like it but understands.
12. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
(a) In Mempi.
(b) In Vasu's apartment.
(c) In Nataraj's press.
(d) None of the above.
13. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
(b) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
(c) They ran out of the letters K and R.
(d) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
14. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
(a) See a doctor.
(b) Confront Vasu.
(c) Eat and sleep.
(d) Tell her what's going on.
15. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
(a) Communicate in public with Rangi.
(b) Warn the police inspector about Vasu.
(c) Scare Kumar.
(d) Yell for Vishnu to save Kumar loud enough that everyone hears it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
2. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
3. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
4. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
5. What does the post man tell Nataraj?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)