|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
(a) They only have permits for that route.
(b) There is not other safe path for a parade to the temple.
(c) They have already decorated the route.
(d) It is the traditional route.
2. What does Nataraj say was the greatest damage caused by the man-eater?
(a) He took sacred animals from the world.
(b) He brought suspicion into Malgudi.
(c) He caused fear in those of good heart.
(d) He destroyed Nataraj's name, friendships, and world.
3. When does Rangi come to visit Nataraj?
(a) Right before the parade.
(b) During the celebration.
(c) In the morning when she is leaving Vasu's room.
(d) At night while he is printing and the rest are sleeping.
4. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
(b) To answer his questions about Vasu.
(c) To send money.
(d) To live in his house.
5. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) They are working together.
(b) They are no longer on speaking terms.
(c) He is researching a legal case against him.
(d) He has only seen him a couple times.
6. What is the animal hospital like?
(a) The animal hospital is a wide open field with a little hut.
(b) The animal hospital is very modern and clean.
(c) The animal hospital is packed with animals, loud, and dirty.
(d) The animal hospital is surrounded by sacred cows being cared for.
7. What does the chemical analysis determine about the food Rangi had left for Vasu?
(a) It had no trace of poison.
(b) It had killed him.
(c) It was poisoned.
(d) It came from a local restaurant.
8. Where does the group that leaves Nataraj's house go when they leave?
(a) To walk with Kumar.
(b) To board up Vasu's window.
(c) None of the above.
(d) To look for police help saving Kumar.
9. How does Nataraj get back to town?
(a) Vasu offers him a ride.
(b) He rides on Kumar with the mahout.
(c) Another eight hour bus ride.
(d) He is given a lift by the doctor.
10. What is the overriding emotion in Vasu's plans to shoot Kumar?
11. What is the cause for the celebration that Sastri and Nataraj undertake?
(a) The recovery of Kumar.
(b) The completion of the poet's book.
(c) Vasu's departure.
(d) A seasonal festival.
12. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
(a) Everything is finalized and Nataraj can dedicate himself to the issue of Vasu.
(b) Nataraj dumps everything on Sastri so he can get some sleep.
(c) There are many things left to do and Nataraj barely has time even to wash.
(d) Various performers cancelled and the procession might not happen.
13. What is Nataraj's intent when he goes up to Vasu's room when the procession is about to come by?
(a) To light a fire in the attic that will make is impossible for Vasu to stay there.
(b) To attract attention so all may see who murdered Kumar.
(c) To reason with Vasu.
(d) To kill Vasu.
14. As time goes by after Vasu's death, what does Nataraj convince himself of?
(a) That Vasu was a fearsome demon and not a man.
(b) That he was right to steal the stuffed tiger cub.
(c) That he might have killed Vasu.
(d) That Vasu had been a good friend.
15. What does Nataraj first credit the tapping on the grill he hears to?
(a) A ghost.
(c) A faulty mechanism in the press.
(d) The hyena.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the delay in the procession?
2. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
3. What strikes Nataraj about the scene when he sees Vasu?
4. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
5. What is Nataraj's idea to keep Kumar safe?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)