|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
(b) They ran out of the letters K and R.
(c) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(d) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
2. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He is researching a legal case against him.
(b) They are working together.
(c) They are no longer on speaking terms.
(d) He has only seen him a couple times.
3. Where does Nataraj know the unexpected visitor from in the beginning of chapter seven?
(a) He is a second cousin.
(b) He is the tea-shop man from Mempi.
(c) He is the police inspector from the bus.
(d) He is the adjournment lawyer's assistant.
4. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
(a) Vasu laughs at the inspector and brushes him off.
(b) The inspector has a dislocated wrist, Vasu has his guns and a broken bed.
(c) The inspector manages to take a gun, but Vasu as an illegal one still hidden in the room.
(d) Vasu swears retribution on Nataraj and his friends.
5. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
(a) They ask when Kumar will be available.
(b) They choose day the press will be closed.
(c) They choose the day of the Goddess.
(d) They get an astrologer to fix the date.
6. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
(a) Covers for Nataraj.
(b) Blames Rangi.
(c) Tells the police she was not with Nataraj at eleven.
(d) Tells the police Nataraj had been associating with unsavory people.
7. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
(a) Yell for Vishnu to save Kumar loud enough that everyone hears it.
(b) Communicate in public with Rangi.
(c) Scare Kumar.
(d) Warn the police inspector about Vasu.
8. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To live in his house.
(b) To answer his questions about Vasu.
(c) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
(d) To send money.
9. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
(a) He is going to take her away to Bombay where she will cook for him.
(b) Vasu has proposed marriage to her.
(c) They have no future plans and she will no longer come to him.
(d) He has paid her in advance for her services for an entire year.
10. What did the police find that they tried to discover the origins of?
(a) The money Vasu had collected for the procession.
(b) Vasu's guns.
(c) The tiger skins.
(d) The food Rangi had brought Vasu.
11. Who comes to visit Nataraj at home while he is resting?
(a) Muthu, Sen, and Rangi.
(b) Muthu, Sen, the poet, Dr Joshi, and Rangi.
(d) Sen and the poet.
12. What reason does Sastri give for being delayed returning from his niece's wedding?
(a) After the wedding they went on a pilgrimage.
(b) He was staying away until the dust settled about Vasu.
(c) None of the above.
(d) He was investigating the murder.
13. How do Nataraj and Sastri raise money for the celebration?
(a) They sell copies of the book.
(b) Nataraj charges extra on all printing jobs.
(c) They ask for donations.
(d) They charge Vasu rent.
14. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By mending relations with Vasu.
(b) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(c) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
(d) By finally evicting Vasu.
15. When Muthu comes to the press, what does he ask Nataraj for help with?
(a) Getting into Vasu's apartment.
(b) Finding a doctor for Kumar.
(c) Printing festival fliers.
(d) Framing Vasu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
2. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
3. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
4. Why does K.J. come to the press?
5. What does the post man tell Nataraj?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)