|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the general attitude of people towards Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) People said he should be taken to jail.
(b) They avoided him.
(c) He was a town hero.
(d) People soon forgot the whole affair and life went back to normal.
2. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By mending relations with Vasu.
(b) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
(c) By finally evicting Vasu.
(d) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
3. What does Rangi say about her whereabouts the night of the procession?
(a) She has many alibis because she was in the procession all night.
(b) She was at home with her grandma.
(c) She had gone to Vasu when summoned and he was fine.
(d) She never saw Vasu that night.
4. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
5. What is Nataraj's idea to keep Kumar safe?
(b) To take Vasu with him into the crowds where it will be hard for him shoot Kumar.
6. How does Sen help Nataraj?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He finds an article about the animal hospital in a newspaper.
(c) He gives him a book on elephant care.
(d) He lends him money to pay the lawyer.
7. What does Rangi tell Nataraj when she comes to his home?
(a) Vasu has summoned her and she is afraid what he will do.
(b) She is concerned about Nataraj.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Her mother needs protection.
8. What is the overriding emotion in Vasu's plans to shoot Kumar?
9. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
(a) Blame and anger.
(b) Fear and mourning.
(c) Relief and subdued celebration.
(d) Suspicion and theorizing.
10. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
(a) Nataraj wants the lawyer to defend him against criminal accusations.
(b) Nataraj demands the lawyer pay his printing debt.
(c) Nataraj wants to know what he can do to protect himself against slander.
(d) None of the above.
11. What date do Nataraj and Sastri choose for the celebration?
(a) The not so good day.
(b) Kumar's birthday.
(c) The good day.
(d) The only day the press had off.
12. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about Vasu?
(a) Vasu plans to shoot Kumar at the parade.
(b) Vasu is very ill.
(c) Vasu is planning on keeping the celebration money.
(d) Vasu is slowly going crazy.
13. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
(b) They ran out of the letters K and R.
(c) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(d) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
14. What causes the delay in the procession?
(a) They go to pick up a golden headdress for Kumar.
(b) The police are trying to thwart Vasu.
(c) Rangi is late to take her place in front.
(d) Nataraj files permits for a different route.
15. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She killed Vasu.
(b) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
(c) She was with Vasu when he died.
(d) She knew the identity of the murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What undertaking does Vasu take over from the unwilling Nataraj for the celebration?
2. What is the animal hospital like?
3. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
4. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
5. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)