|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Nataraj and Sastri raise money for the celebration?
(a) Nataraj charges extra on all printing jobs.
(b) They charge Vasu rent.
(c) They sell copies of the book.
(d) They ask for donations.
2. What does Rangi tell Nataraj when she comes to his home?
(a) Her mother needs protection.
(b) She is concerned about Nataraj.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Vasu has summoned her and she is afraid what he will do.
3. What was the result from the coroner regarding Vasu's death?
(a) It was self inflicted.
(b) He was poisened.
(c) It was of natural causes.
(d) It was caused by a concussion on the right frontal lobe.
4. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
(b) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(c) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
(d) They ran out of the letters K and R.
5. What does Nataraj try to do for the poet?
(a) Nataraj tries to print a delux version of the poets book.
(b) Nataraj tries to give the poet the stuffed tiger cub.
(c) Nataraj tries to convince the poet to write another book.
(d) Nataraj invites the poet to move into the attic.
6. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about Vasu?
(a) Vasu is slowly going crazy.
(b) Vasu plans to shoot Kumar at the parade.
(c) Vasu is very ill.
(d) Vasu is planning on keeping the celebration money.
7. What strikes Nataraj about the scene when he sees Vasu?
(a) That all his troubles are over.
(b) How his body fits in with the taxidermy.
(c) How terrible he looks.
(d) How much blood there was.
8. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She was with Vasu when he died.
(b) She killed Vasu.
(c) She knew the identity of the murderer.
(d) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
9. What is the overriding emotion in Vasu's plans to shoot Kumar?
10. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
(a) The inspector manages to take a gun, but Vasu as an illegal one still hidden in the room.
(b) Vasu swears retribution on Nataraj and his friends.
(c) The inspector has a dislocated wrist, Vasu has his guns and a broken bed.
(d) Vasu laughs at the inspector and brushes him off.
11. Where does Nataraj know the unexpected visitor from in the beginning of chapter seven?
(a) He is the tea-shop man from Mempi.
(b) He is a second cousin.
(c) He is the police inspector from the bus.
(d) He is the adjournment lawyer's assistant.
12. Why can't they change the path of the procession to avoid going by Vasu's window?
(a) They only have permits for that route.
(b) They have already decorated the route.
(c) It is the traditional route.
(d) There is not other safe path for a parade to the temple.
13. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(b) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
(c) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(d) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
14. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
(a) Warn the police inspector about Vasu.
(b) Yell for Vishnu to save Kumar loud enough that everyone hears it.
(c) Communicate in public with Rangi.
(d) Scare Kumar.
15. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
(a) He has paid her in advance for her services for an entire year.
(b) Vasu has proposed marriage to her.
(c) They have no future plans and she will no longer come to him.
(d) He is going to take her away to Bombay where she will cook for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
2. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
3. What help does Nataraj seek from Sen?
4. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
5. What is the cause for the celebration that Sastri and Nataraj undertake?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)