|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
(b) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(c) By finally evicting Vasu.
(d) By mending relations with Vasu.
2. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
(a) In Nataraj's press.
(b) In Mempi.
(c) None of the above.
(d) In Vasu's apartment.
3. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
(a) All of the above.
(b) They work late every day on juice lables.
(c) They send all their customers next door to The Star.
(d) They hire extra help.
4. How does Nataraj get back to town?
(a) Vasu offers him a ride.
(b) Another eight hour bus ride.
(c) He is given a lift by the doctor.
(d) He rides on Kumar with the mahout.
5. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
(a) Nataraj wants to know what he can do to protect himself against slander.
(b) Nataraj wants the lawyer to defend him against criminal accusations.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Nataraj demands the lawyer pay his printing debt.
6. What does Nataraj wonder about his wife and Babu on the day of the celebration?
(a) If he should make them stay home so they will be safe.
(b) If Vasu might kidnap them and hold them ransom.
(c) All of the above.
(d) If they appreciate all the work he did.
7. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She killed Vasu.
(b) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
(c) She knew the identity of the murderer.
(d) She was with Vasu when he died.
8. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
(a) Vasu swears retribution on Nataraj and his friends.
(b) The inspector manages to take a gun, but Vasu as an illegal one still hidden in the room.
(c) Vasu laughs at the inspector and brushes him off.
(d) The inspector has a dislocated wrist, Vasu has his guns and a broken bed.
9. Who killed Vasu and how?
(a) Vasu killed himself slapping mosquitos on his forehead.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Rangi poisoned Vasu.
(d) Muthu and other hunters struck him while he slept.
10. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(b) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
(c) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(d) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
11. What is Nataraj's idea to keep Kumar safe?
(a) To take Vasu with him into the crowds where it will be hard for him shoot Kumar.
12. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
(a) Blames Rangi.
(b) Tells the police Nataraj had been associating with unsavory people.
(c) Covers for Nataraj.
(d) Tells the police she was not with Nataraj at eleven.
13. When does Rangi come to visit Nataraj?
(a) Right before the parade.
(b) At night while he is printing and the rest are sleeping.
(c) During the celebration.
(d) In the morning when she is leaving Vasu's room.
14. What undertaking does Vasu take over from the unwilling Nataraj for the celebration?
(a) Gathering a crowd.
(b) Finding entertainment.
(c) Providing security.
(d) Collecting money.
15. Who is Kumar?
(a) The temple elephant.
(b) The mayor of Mempi.
(c) An elephant trainer of great repute.
(d) A wild elephant that has been seen around town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the delay in the procession?
2. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
3. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
4. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
5. What does Vasu leave in Nataraj's possession after their discussion about money?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)