|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the chemical analysis determine about the food Rangi had left for Vasu?
(a) It came from a local restaurant.
(b) It had no trace of poison.
(c) It had killed him.
(d) It was poisoned.
2. What does Nataraj's wife force him to do when she takes him home from the celebration?
(a) Confront Vasu.
(b) Tell her what's going on.
(c) Eat and sleep.
(d) See a doctor.
3. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
(a) She knocked Vasu on the head with the butt of his gun.
(b) She tried to seduce Vasu to distract him from the procession.
(c) She put sleeping pills in Vasu's food so he would sleep through the night.
(d) She told her devout cousins about Vasu's intent, and they murdered Vasu.
4. Who killed Vasu and how?
(a) Vasu killed himself slapping mosquitos on his forehead.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Rangi poisoned Vasu.
(d) Muthu and other hunters struck him while he slept.
5. What does the post man tell Nataraj?
(a) That Vasu is dead.
(b) That Vasu was poisened and is in the hospital.
(c) That Vasu had shot himself.
(d) That Vasu was missing.
6. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
7. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She killed Vasu.
(b) She was with Vasu when he died.
(c) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
(d) She knew the identity of the murderer.
8. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
(a) The horror at what he just did.
(b) Vasu's rage.
(c) Concern for the crowd below.
(d) An alarm clock.
9. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
(a) He is full of gossip about the temple and the poem.
(b) He usually chats for half hour before leaving the mail, but this morning he is all business.
(c) He is could and disdainful to Nataraj.
(d) He is very late from sleeping in because he stayed up all night.
10. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
(a) Tells the police Nataraj had been associating with unsavory people.
(b) Blames Rangi.
(c) Tells the police she was not with Nataraj at eleven.
(d) Covers for Nataraj.
11. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
(a) It makes her very angry.
(b) She wants Rangi to use the back door.
(c) She is grateful for Rangi's help saving Kumar.
(d) She doesn't like it but understands.
12. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To send money.
(b) To answer his questions about Vasu.
(c) To live in his house.
(d) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
13. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He has only seen him a couple times.
(b) They are no longer on speaking terms.
(c) They are working together.
(d) He is researching a legal case against him.
14. What causes the delay in the procession?
(a) Nataraj files permits for a different route.
(b) Rangi is late to take her place in front.
(c) The police are trying to thwart Vasu.
(d) They go to pick up a golden headdress for Kumar.
15. Where does the police inspector hold the investigation into Vasu's death?
(a) In Nataraj's press.
(b) In Vasu's apartment.
(c) None of the above.
(d) In Mempi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
2. What does Nataraj remove from Vasu's apartment?
3. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
4. What is the cause for the celebration that Sastri and Nataraj undertake?
5. What does Vasu leave in Nataraj's possession after their discussion about money?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)