|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nataraj offer Muthu right away when he recognizes him?
(a) To send money.
(b) To answer his questions about Vasu.
(c) To live in his house.
(d) To pay for the tea and buns he ate in Mempi.
2. How does Nataraj's wife feel about Rangi coming to see Nataraj at home?
(a) She doesn't like it but understands.
(b) It makes her very angry.
(c) She wants Rangi to use the back door.
(d) She is grateful for Rangi's help saving Kumar.
3. What causes the delay in the procession?
(a) Nataraj files permits for a different route.
(b) Rangi is late to take her place in front.
(c) They go to pick up a golden headdress for Kumar.
(d) The police are trying to thwart Vasu.
4. What is the general attitude of people towards Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) They avoided him.
(b) He was a town hero.
(c) People said he should be taken to jail.
(d) People soon forgot the whole affair and life went back to normal.
5. What does Rangi tell Nataraj when she comes to his home?
(a) Her mother needs protection.
(b) Vasu has summoned her and she is afraid what he will do.
(c) All of the above.
(d) She is concerned about Nataraj.
6. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Leaves on vacation.
(b) Nods knowingly.
(c) Removes the hyena from view.
(d) Says a prayer to the goddess.
7. What does Vasu offer Nataraj when he hears of the celebration, and what is Nataraj's reaction?
(a) Vasu offers ten rupees and Nataraj says he wants a hundred.
(b) Vasu offers Nataraj friendship and Nataraj willingly embraces it.
(c) Vasu offers Nataraj a stuffed animal for his parlour and Nataraj agrees.
(d) Vasu offers to move out of the attic and Nataraj tells him he doesn't have to.
8. What help does Nataraj seek from Sen?
(a) Nataraj asks Sen how to defeat a rakshasa.
(b) Nataraj asks Sen to help him find the doctor for Kumar.
(c) Nataraj asks Sen to act as a go between him and the lawyer.
(d) Nataraj wants Sen to give a message to Vasu.
9. Who arrives at the last moment and is able to get Kumar to stand?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The doctor.
(c) A mahout.
10. What was the general atmosphere of the community for days after Vasu's death?
(a) Fear and mourning.
(b) Relief and subdued celebration.
(c) Suspicion and theorizing.
(d) Blame and anger.
11. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(b) By mending relations with Vasu.
(c) By finally evicting Vasu.
(d) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
12. What does Nataraj's wife do when interviewed by the police?
(a) Blames Rangi.
(b) Tells the police Nataraj had been associating with unsavory people.
(c) Tells the police she was not with Nataraj at eleven.
(d) Covers for Nataraj.
13. Why does K.J. come to the press?
(a) His juice labels are long over due.
(b) To inform Nataraj that Kumar is healed.
(c) He is looking for Vasu.
(d) To arrest Nataraj.
14. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(b) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
(c) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(d) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
15. What does Sastri divulge about Rangi?
(a) She was with Vasu when he died.
(b) She knew the identity of the murderer.
(c) She killed Vasu.
(d) She was the only one that could control Vasu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the debate at Mempi regarding Kumar?
2. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
3. Who is Kumar?
4. When does Rangi come to visit Nataraj?
5. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)