|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) That he had killed a rakshasa single handedly.
(b) That he should leave the neighborhood.
(c) That he had saved Kumar's life.
(d) That he should be elected to public office.
2. What help does Nataraj seek from Sen?
(a) Nataraj asks Sen to help him find the doctor for Kumar.
(b) Nataraj asks Sen to act as a go between him and the lawyer.
(c) Nataraj asks Sen how to defeat a rakshasa.
(d) Nataraj wants Sen to give a message to Vasu.
3. What does Rangi say about her whereabouts the night of the procession?
(a) She had gone to Vasu when summoned and he was fine.
(b) She was at home with her grandma.
(c) She has many alibis because she was in the procession all night.
(d) She never saw Vasu that night.
4. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Removes the hyena from view.
(b) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(c) Leaves on vacation.
(d) Nods knowingly.
5. What does Nataraj unwittingly do in the crowd at the celebration?
(a) Warn the police inspector about Vasu.
(b) Scare Kumar.
(c) Communicate in public with Rangi.
(d) Yell for Vishnu to save Kumar loud enough that everyone hears it.
6. Which of the following best characterizes the effect of the police inspector on Vasu?
7. What does the chemical analysis determine about the food Rangi had left for Vasu?
(a) It had killed him.
(b) It came from a local restaurant.
(c) It was poisoned.
(d) It had no trace of poison.
8. When Muthu comes to the press, what does he ask Nataraj for help with?
(a) Framing Vasu.
(b) Finding a doctor for Kumar.
(c) Printing festival fliers.
(d) Getting into Vasu's apartment.
9. Why does K.J. come to the press?
(a) His juice labels are long over due.
(b) To arrest Nataraj.
(c) To inform Nataraj that Kumar is healed.
(d) He is looking for Vasu.
10. What does Nataraj speak with the adjournment lawyer about in their last conversation?
(a) Nataraj demands the lawyer pay his printing debt.
(b) None of the above.
(c) Nataraj wants the lawyer to defend him against criminal accusations.
(d) Nataraj wants to know what he can do to protect himself against slander.
11. What is the state of the arrangements the morning of the celebration?
(a) Various performers cancelled and the procession might not happen.
(b) There are many things left to do and Nataraj barely has time even to wash.
(c) Nataraj dumps everything on Sastri so he can get some sleep.
(d) Everything is finalized and Nataraj can dedicate himself to the issue of Vasu.
12. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(b) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(c) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
(d) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
13. What date do Nataraj and Sastri choose for the celebration?
(a) The not so good day.
(b) Kumar's birthday.
(c) The good day.
(d) The only day the press had off.
14. What does Nataraj wonder about his wife and Babu on the day of the celebration?
(a) If Vasu might kidnap them and hold them ransom.
(b) If he should make them stay home so they will be safe.
(c) If they appreciate all the work he did.
(d) All of the above.
15. What problem was encountered printing the poet's manuscript?
(a) They did not have the special binding to present the work to the temple.
(b) They ran out of the letters K and R.
(c) They ran out of black ink and had to use magenta.
(d) They had misplaced the original manuscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strikes Nataraj about the scene when he sees Vasu?
2. While preparing for the celebration, how do Sastri and Nataraj keep up with work?
3. Where does Nataraj know the unexpected visitor from in the beginning of chapter seven?
4. How do Sastri and Nataraj choose a day for the celebration?
5. What does Rangi tell Nataraj when she comes to his home?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)