|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the animal hospital like?
(a) The animal hospital is surrounded by sacred cows being cared for.
(b) The animal hospital is packed with animals, loud, and dirty.
(c) The animal hospital is a wide open field with a little hut.
(d) The animal hospital is very modern and clean.
2. After Vasu's death, how is business at the press? How does Nataraj spend his time?
(a) Business is very slow, and Nataraj tries to read War and Peace.
(b) The press is very busy, and Nataraj is kept running from client to client.
(c) Business is slow, so Nataraj spends all his time talking to people in his parlor.
(d) The press is way behind on printing jobs, so Nataraj spends all his time doing both his and Sastri's jobs.
3. What does the post man tell Nataraj?
(a) That Vasu had shot himself.
(b) That Vasu was poisened and is in the hospital.
(c) That Vasu was missing.
(d) That Vasu is dead.
4. What does Nataraj say was the greatest damage caused by the man-eater?
(a) He destroyed Nataraj's name, friendships, and world.
(b) He brought suspicion into Malgudi.
(c) He caused fear in those of good heart.
(d) He took sacred animals from the world.
5. What does Sastri do when he hears of Vasu's demise?
(a) Removes the hyena from view.
(b) Leaves on vacation.
(c) Says a prayer to the goddess.
(d) Nods knowingly.
6. When Muthu comes to the press, what is his relationship with Vasu?
(a) He has only seen him a couple times.
(b) He is researching a legal case against him.
(c) They are no longer on speaking terms.
(d) They are working together.
7. What is the general attitude of people towards Nataraj after Vasu's death?
(a) People said he should be taken to jail.
(b) They avoided him.
(c) People soon forgot the whole affair and life went back to normal.
(d) He was a town hero.
8. What sends Nataraj scurrying out of Vasu's room as the procession passes?
(a) Vasu's rage.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) Concern for the crowd below.
(d) The horror at what he just did.
9. How is Thanappa, the postman, different than usual the morning after the procession?
(a) He usually chats for half hour before leaving the mail, but this morning he is all business.
(b) He is very late from sleeping in because he stayed up all night.
(c) He is full of gossip about the temple and the poem.
(d) He is could and disdainful to Nataraj.
10. What does Rangi tell Nataraj about her future with Vasu?
(a) He has paid her in advance for her services for an entire year.
(b) They have no future plans and she will no longer come to him.
(c) Vasu has proposed marriage to her.
(d) He is going to take her away to Bombay where she will cook for him.
11. When Muthu comes to the press, what does he ask Nataraj for help with?
(a) Printing festival fliers.
(b) Framing Vasu.
(c) Getting into Vasu's apartment.
(d) Finding a doctor for Kumar.
12. How have Sastri and Nataraj given themselves some peace from the hyena and prostitutes?
(a) By finally evicting Vasu.
(b) By inviting the police inspector around for tea on a regular basis.
(c) By mending relations with Vasu.
(d) By hanging a woven mat between them and the stairs.
13. How do Nataraj and Sastri raise money for the celebration?
(a) Nataraj charges extra on all printing jobs.
(b) They charge Vasu rent.
(c) They ask for donations.
(d) They sell copies of the book.
14. Who comes to visit Nataraj at home while he is resting?
(b) Sen and the poet.
(c) Muthu, Sen, and Rangi.
(d) Muthu, Sen, the poet, Dr Joshi, and Rangi.
15. What did Rangi do to try to protect Kumar?
(a) She put sleeping pills in Vasu's food so he would sleep through the night.
(b) She tried to seduce Vasu to distract him from the procession.
(c) She knocked Vasu on the head with the butt of his gun.
(d) She told her devout cousins about Vasu's intent, and they murdered Vasu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chemical analysis determine about the food Rangi had left for Vasu?
2. What emotion does Nataraj experience while actually printing the book for the poet?
3. What does Nataraj wonder about his wife and Babu on the day of the celebration?
4. What is the result of the police inspector's attempt to disarm Vasu?
5. What was the town saying about Nataraj after Vasu's death?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)