|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
(a) An animal trainer.
(b) The prime minister.
(c) His fiancee.
(d) A forestry official.
2. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
(a) No, his closest family is a brother that lives nearby.
(b) No, he was raised an orphan and never married.
(c) Yes, his four sons have recently married.
(d) Yes, he has a wife and a son.
3. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
(a) The brothers were sent in different directions to learn careers.
(b) A printing press was started to make them work together.
(c) Nataraj's grandfother split the family up and emptied the house.
(d) None of the above.
4. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
(a) As civilized beings, it is up to us to prove our superiority to nature.
(b) Hard work pays off.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Might is right.
5. What happened during the time Nataraj was studying at the Albert Mission?
(a) He had many dreams about an elephant.
(b) The Star needed a new apprentice and offered him the position.
(c) His grandfather passed away and his father inherited the ancestral home.
(d) He was betrothed by his family to a girl he refused to marry.
6. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
(c) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(d) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
7. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The festival would be poorly attended.
(d) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
8. Which of the following is a phrase used to describe Vasu?
(a) Gentle oaf.
(b) Lord of the universe.
(c) Intellectually honed.
(d) Considerate to a fault.
9. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) His staff was out.
(b) The press machine was broken.
(c) He was in a hurry to leave.
(d) He didn't believe he was serious.
10. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
(a) He has a house but he rented it out for the money.
(b) He doesn't give an answer.
(c) He said his house would be available in several months.
(d) He is no longer looking for a house.
11. What is it that Vasu's guest wants printed?
(a) A book of a collection of philosophical ideas and virtues.
(b) Posters about poaching.
(c) Forestry rules and regulations.
(d) A flier for a festival.
12. What does Vasu bring back to the building with him all the time after he starts going to the forest?
(a) People to look at and make offers on the stuffed tiger.
(b) Friends to discuss tiger hunting.
(c) Animals he has shot.
(d) Big game hunters.
13. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
14. What does Vasu do for a living?
(a) Vasu is police officer.
(b) Vasu is a hunter.
(c) Vasu is a taxidermist.
(d) Vasu is out of work.
15. How does Nataraj feel about people coming through the blue curtain into the back of the press?
(a) Nataraj hates the curtain but Sastri insists on keeping it up for privacy.
(b) The curtain is a barrier between two worlds and people are not invited to pass.
(c) Only people on business are allowed past the curtain into the back.
(d) The curtain is often left open for conversation and light to pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
2. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
3. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
4. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
5. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)