|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nataraj say about Vasu's proposal in the attic?
(a) Nataraj is ecstatic about his friend having a reason to be there more often.
(b) Nataraj never answers but Vasu moves in anyway.
(c) Nataraj debates carefully and decided the extra income would be beneficial.
(d) Nataraj is against the idea.
2. What does Vasu receive from the forestry department?
(a) A book of forestry rules.
(b) A warning about trespassing into the forest.
(c) A big game hunting license.
(d) A permit to go into forest and shoot duck and deer.
3. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) The politicians.
(b) The owners of the Star.
(c) The girl he spurned at the market.
(d) His extended family.
4. Who currently lives in the house on Kabir Street?
(a) Nataraj, his wife, and son Babu.
(b) A famous elephant trainer.
(c) The owners of the Star.
(d) Just Nataraj.
5. What does Nataraj have stashed away up in his attic that he wishes to be rid of?
(a) Several animals stuffed by a taxidermist.
(b) Old newspapers, magazines and other waste paper.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Scorpions and snakes.
6. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
(a) Vasu expects the cards to be delivered and Nataraj waits for him to pick them up.
(b) Nataraj printed the wrong information on the cards.
(c) Vasu returns expecting his cards to be done, but he still needs to choose type and stationary.
(d) Vasu thinks the cards are a fraction of their real price.
7. What problem does the septuagenarian bring to Nataraj?
(a) He is trying to rent a room in his home but no-one will rent near Vasu.
(b) His grandson's dog had been shot.
(c) The odor of Vasu's work is hurting his lungs.
(d) He is afraid of Vasu's violence.
8. What does Nataraj worry Vasu will do?
(a) Legally take the attic from him.
(b) Take Babu hostage for ransom.
(c) Shoot more sacred animals just to make Nataraj angry.
(d) Bring live animals back to the attic.
9. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
(a) With Vasu living above the press forever.
(b) With the loss of the friendship between him and Vasu.
(c) With him in jail and Vasu running the press as a museum.
(d) With Vasu murdering him.
10. When Nataraj was growing up, why did his uncle give him money every day?
(a) To buy bullets to scare away the crows and squirrels.
(b) To buy sugar to feed the ants.
(c) To buy mice for the pet eagle.
(d) To make a donation to the goddess for the sacred animals.
11. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
(a) The daily newspaper.
(b) Invitations to a festival.
(c) Business cards for a taxidermist.
(d) Colour labels for K.J.'s aerated drinks.
12. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
13. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
(a) To have Vasu evicted.
(b) To get a new puppy for his grandson.
(c) To speak to Vasu.
(d) To propose a law against guns.
14. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
(a) That it will be expensive to print.
(b) That there is a long waiting period to get things printed.
(c) To make careful final revisions and then bring it back.
(d) That he needs to be paid up front.
15. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
(a) Vasu asks Nataraj if he can live in the attic.
(b) Vasu asks Nataraj to store his professional equipment.
(c) Vasu asks Nataraj to share the fee collected from the old moslem.
(d) Vasu asks Nataraj to think of him as family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
2. What does Vasu bring with him when he returns from Mempi?
3. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
4. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
5. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)