|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
(a) As civilized beings, it is up to us to prove our superiority to nature.
(b) Hard work pays off.
(c) Might is right.
(d) All of the above.
2. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
(a) No, his closest family is a brother that lives nearby.
(b) No, he was raised an orphan and never married.
(c) Yes, he has a wife and a son.
(d) Yes, his four sons have recently married.
3. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
(a) With Vasu living above the press forever.
(b) With the loss of the friendship between him and Vasu.
(c) With him in jail and Vasu running the press as a museum.
(d) With Vasu murdering him.
4. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Frivolous and vain.
(b) Ambitious and driven.
(c) Content, kind, and hard working.
(d) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
5. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
(a) That there is a long waiting period to get things printed.
(b) That it will be expensive to print.
(c) That he needs to be paid up front.
(d) To make careful final revisions and then bring it back.
6. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
(a) They engage in sabotaging each other's lives.
(b) They often fight in public.
(c) They leave each other entirely alone.
(d) They have an argument and then re-establish peace.
7. What makes Vasu change and become soft and agreeable?
(a) The presence of an official.
(b) When Nataraj threatens to evict him.
(c) The presence of women.
(d) When everyone compliments him.
8. Which of the following most accurately portrays the conversations between Nataraj and Vasu as of chapter two?
(a) Succinct and professional.
(b) Lengthy and thoughtful.
(c) Personal and private.
(d) Abrasive and slightly hostile.
9. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
(a) Nataraj printed the wrong information on the cards.
(b) Vasu returns expecting his cards to be done, but he still needs to choose type and stationary.
(c) Vasu expects the cards to be delivered and Nataraj waits for him to pick them up.
(d) Vasu thinks the cards are a fraction of their real price.
10. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
(a) By taxi.
(b) Vasu drives him back.
(c) The tea-shop man gets him a ride with a relative.
(d) An eight hour bus ride on credit.
11. What is the Star?
(a) The restaurant on the corner.
(b) The newspaper Nataraj prints.
(c) The epic poem of Krishna.
(d) The newspaper printed right next door.
12. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
(a) He removes the Queen Anne chair.
(b) He defends Sen and the poet all the time.
(c) He sends Vasu out on frequent errands.
(d) He doesn't, he lets it unfold as it will.
13. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
(a) The tiger skin laid out and ready for stuffing.
(b) Decaying skins piled in a corner.
(c) Many stuffed animals, including his own cat.
(d) The head of an elephant.
14. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
(a) Six people.
(b) I employ several specialists.
(c) As many as I need.
(d) Just Sastri.
15. How does Sastri change the conversation with the septuagenarian?
(a) Sastri mentions Vasu as the possible offender.
(b) Sastri tells the old man to leave the building.
(c) Sastri knows more of the story and shares his insight.
(d) Sastri demands action.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
2. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
3. What did Vasu hear about when they reached Mempi?
4. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
5. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)