|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
(a) He threatens Nataraj against trying to evict him.
(b) He tries to hide his business so as to not bother anyone.
(c) He starts looking for a house.
(d) He files a complaint against Nataraj as a landlord.
2. What did Vasu hear about when they reached Mempi?
(a) There was a wild elephant nearby in the jungle.
(b) Several poachers had been shot and killed.
(c) There had been a tiger prowling through town the previous night.
(d) The forestry service was taking the week off.
3. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(b) The money will not be enough.
(c) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
(d) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
4. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Nataraj worked with his whole family at the press.
(c) A foreman, an office boy, a compositor, a binder and an accountant.
(d) Just one, an old man called Sastri.
5. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
6. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
(a) Uncomfortable and awkward.
(b) Fun and rambuctious.
(c) Argumentative and intellectual.
(d) Dominating and loud.
7. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
(a) He removes the Queen Anne chair.
(b) He sends Vasu out on frequent errands.
(c) He doesn't, he lets it unfold as it will.
(d) He defends Sen and the poet all the time.
8. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(c) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(d) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
9. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
(a) Colour labels for K.J.'s aerated drinks.
(b) The daily newspaper.
(c) Business cards for a taxidermist.
(d) Invitations to a festival.
10. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He was hoping to stop at a bar for a drink himself.
(c) It was worse that Vasu would conduct himself the way he did dead sober.
(d) He was hoping that Vasu would fall asleep in Mempi.
11. What is Nataraj's reaction to the problem the septuagenarian presents?
(a) Nataraj is deeply moved by the old man's plight.
(b) Nataraj wishes he would just go away.
(c) Nataraj vows to help him.
(d) Nataraj tells him that it's not his problem.
12. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
(a) By taxi.
(b) The tea-shop man gets him a ride with a relative.
(c) Vasu drives him back.
(d) An eight hour bus ride on credit.
13. Which of the following best describes Vasu?
(a) Quiet, manipulative, and resentful.
(b) Demanding, sincere, and strongwilled.
(c) Strong, kind, and slightly confused.
(d) Loud, egotistical, and invasive.
14. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
(a) Nataraj lets any passerby who needs a rest have a seat in his parlour.
(b) All of the above.
(c) He keeps his printing machines in his parlour.
(d) He decorates his parlour with pictures so people think he has a family.
15. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
(a) The police inspector he met on the bus.
(b) The adjournment lawyer for whom he printed wedding invitations.
(c) The tea-shop man.
(d) The forestry official.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
2. How is Vasu at keeping his appointment?
3. How does Nataraj gain leverage in negotiations with the old moslem?
4. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
5. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)