|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the feelings of the poet about Vasu?
2. What does Nataraj worry Vasu will do?
(a) Shoot more sacred animals just to make Nataraj angry.
(b) Take Babu hostage for ransom.
(c) Legally take the attic from him.
(d) Bring live animals back to the attic.
3. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
(a) Nataraj lets any passerby who needs a rest have a seat in his parlour.
(b) He decorates his parlour with pictures so people think he has a family.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He keeps his printing machines in his parlour.
4. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
(a) To propose a law against guns.
(b) To have Vasu evicted.
(c) To speak to Vasu.
(d) To get a new puppy for his grandson.
5. What are the dynamics between Vasu and the poet?
(a) They are mutually respectful but distant.
(b) They knew each other previously.
(c) The poet refuses to hear Vasu talk.
(d) Vasu gets the poet to move from the Queen Anne chair when he arrives.
6. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) The money will not be enough.
(b) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(c) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
(d) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
7. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(b) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
(c) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
(d) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
8. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(b) Content, kind, and hard working.
(c) Ambitious and driven.
(d) Frivolous and vain.
9. What does Sen like to discuss?
(a) The mistakes of the president, Nehru.
(b) Epic poetry.
(c) The business of the press run by Nataraj.
10. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
(a) The tiger skin laid out and ready for stuffing.
(b) The head of an elephant.
(c) Many stuffed animals, including his own cat.
(d) Decaying skins piled in a corner.
11. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
(a) He was a large game safari hunter that protected travelers as they crossed wilderness.
(b) He was a strong man that performed at markets and fairs crushing granite and bending iron.
(c) He was a monk in an isolated monastery.
(d) None of the above.
12. Why was the printing job Nataraj was working on when Vasu takes him away urgent?
(a) The order was already late.
(b) It was for a very influential person.
(c) The daily edition had to be printed early in the day.
(d) The wedding was in two weeks.
13. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
(a) All of the above.
(b) It consumes him and makes him feel like a child.
(c) He misses Vasu's rough friendship.
(d) He wishes he could re-establish cordiality.
14. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
(d) The festival would be poorly attended.
15. What does the tea-shop man carefully tend in Mempi?
(a) A tame tiger kept in a kennel.
(b) The animal population in the forest.
(c) The shrine of the goddess protecting drivers.
(d) His tea plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
2. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
3. What does Vasu want printed?
4. What was lost when Nataraj's grandmother passed away?
5. What does Nataraj promise the sanitary inspector from the health department?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)