|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
(a) They engage in sabotaging each other's lives.
(b) They often fight in public.
(c) They leave each other entirely alone.
(d) They have an argument and then re-establish peace.
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
(a) Few people seek legal council.
(b) He is negligent about handling money.
(c) The people he helps can't pay their bills.
(d) Since his daughters wedding he has had to give many gifts to his in-laws.
3. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
(a) He wishes he could re-establish cordiality.
(b) It consumes him and makes him feel like a child.
(c) All of the above.
(d) He misses Vasu's rough friendship.
4. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
(a) No, he isn't answerable to Nataraj.
(b) No, he doesn't pay rent despite living in the attic.
(c) Yes, he gave Natraraj a sum upfront to move in.
(d) Yes, but pays a token rent amount.
5. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
(a) Vasu returns expecting his cards to be done, but he still needs to choose type and stationary.
(b) Nataraj printed the wrong information on the cards.
(c) Vasu expects the cards to be delivered and Nataraj waits for him to pick them up.
(d) Vasu thinks the cards are a fraction of their real price.
6. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He was a strong man that performed at markets and fairs crushing granite and bending iron.
(c) He was a large game safari hunter that protected travelers as they crossed wilderness.
(d) He was a monk in an isolated monastery.
7. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) The press machine was broken.
(b) He was in a hurry to leave.
(c) He didn't believe he was serious.
(d) His staff was out.
8. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
(b) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(c) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
(d) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
9. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
(a) It was a great producer, but now only occasionally produces a couple fruits.
(b) It is withered and never bears any fruit.
(c) Its produces an abundant crop that tastes bitter.
(d) It is flourishing.
10. What did Vasu hear about when they reached Mempi?
(a) There was a wild elephant nearby in the jungle.
(b) The forestry service was taking the week off.
(c) There had been a tiger prowling through town the previous night.
(d) Several poachers had been shot and killed.
11. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
(a) To speak to Vasu.
(b) To get a new puppy for his grandson.
(c) To propose a law against guns.
(d) To have Vasu evicted.
12. What advice does Nataraj receive about Vasu?
(a) All of the above.
(b) That nothing would be resolved without a fight.
(c) That he should ask him to leave.
(d) That he is dangerous and he should proceed with caution.
13. How does Nataraj gain leverage in negotiations with the old moslem?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He explains how many employees he has to pay.
(c) He pulls Vasu into the transaction as someone he is answerable to.
(d) He denies the faults of the paper.
14. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
(a) Cold and distant.
(b) Friendly and cordial.
(c) Manipulative and deceiptful.
(d) Competitive and suspicious.
15. What activity does Vasu start to engage in as his poaching becomes more difficult?
(a) Vasu starts bullying people for money.
(b) Vasu starts yelling and threatening the neighborhood children.
(c) Vasu starts bringing women to the apartment.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
2. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
3. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
4. What does Vasu want printed?
5. How does the septuagenarian react when he hears Sastri's information?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)