|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Vasu end up in Nataraj's attic?
(a) He is curious and goes up when Nataraj is not looking.
(b) He goes up to try to get rid of the scorpions and snakes.
(c) He goes up to inspect the paper with the old moslem.
(d) He is looking for Nataraj.
2. What is Nataraj's poet friend trying to accomplish?
(a) Nataraj's poet friend wants Nataraj to marry his sister.
(b) Nataraj's poet friend is determined to prove Nataraj has no family.
(c) Nataraj's poet friend is documenting the life of the town in poems.
(d) Nataraj's poet friend is writing the life of Krishna is monsyllabic verse.
3. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
(a) The back room of the place he owns.
(b) A shop downtown with three rooms.
(c) He can just squeeze everything into the place he has.
(d) He uses the back wall of his home where he can line up the machines.
4. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
(a) Vasu returns expecting his cards to be done, but he still needs to choose type and stationary.
(b) Vasu expects the cards to be delivered and Nataraj waits for him to pick them up.
(c) Nataraj printed the wrong information on the cards.
(d) Vasu thinks the cards are a fraction of their real price.
5. What does Vasu say when Sen criticizes Nehru?
(a) Vasu tells Sen that if he is wiser than Nehru he should go try to be prime minister.
(b) Vasu tells Sen that Vasu himself could do a better job being prime minister.
(c) Vasu agrees wholeheartedly with Sen's criticism.
(d) Vasu tells Sen that Nehru always does the right thing.
6. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(c) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(d) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
7. How does Sastri change the conversation with the septuagenarian?
(a) Sastri demands action.
(b) Sastri mentions Vasu as the possible offender.
(c) Sastri knows more of the story and shares his insight.
(d) Sastri tells the old man to leave the building.
8. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(b) Frivolous and vain.
(c) Content, kind, and hard working.
(d) Ambitious and driven.
9. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
(a) Friendly and cordial.
(b) Cold and distant.
(c) Competitive and suspicious.
(d) Manipulative and deceiptful.
10. What did Vasu hear about when they reached Mempi?
(a) The forestry service was taking the week off.
(b) There had been a tiger prowling through town the previous night.
(c) Several poachers had been shot and killed.
(d) There was a wild elephant nearby in the jungle.
11. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Visit the elephant.
(c) Bathe and wash his clothes in the river.
(d) Collect news stories for the paper.
12. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
(a) The septuagenarian.
(b) The police inspector.
(c) The forestry officer.
(d) The adjournment lawyer.
13. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) The money will not be enough.
(b) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(c) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
(d) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
14. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
(a) By taxi.
(b) An eight hour bus ride on credit.
(c) The tea-shop man gets him a ride with a relative.
(d) Vasu drives him back.
15. What happened during the time Nataraj was studying at the Albert Mission?
(a) He was betrothed by his family to a girl he refused to marry.
(b) His grandfather passed away and his father inherited the ancestral home.
(c) He had many dreams about an elephant.
(d) The Star needed a new apprentice and offered him the position.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
2. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
3. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
4. What does speaking to Vasu remind Nataraj of?
5. What activity does Vasu start to engage in as his poaching becomes more difficult?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)