|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
(a) He doesn't give an answer.
(b) He has a house but he rented it out for the money.
(c) He is no longer looking for a house.
(d) He said his house would be available in several months.
2. What is a rakshasa?
(a) A situation in which the person with true power is left powerless in the face of a lesser power with more conviction.
(b) A small weasel like predator in the Mempi forest.
(c) A demoniac creature with strange powers that recognizes no restraints of man or God.
(d) A man-eating tiger.
3. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
(a) The police inspector he met on the bus.
(b) The adjournment lawyer for whom he printed wedding invitations.
(c) The tea-shop man.
(d) The forestry official.
4. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
(a) A foreman, an office boy, a compositor, a binder and an accountant.
(b) Nataraj worked with his whole family at the press.
(c) Just one, an old man called Sastri.
(d) None of the above.
5. Why does the adjournment lawyer owe Nataraj?
(a) Nataraj lent him money.
(b) None of the above.
(c) He has not yet paid for the wedding invitations.
(d) He is Nataraj's tenent.
6. What does Nataraj ask Vasu for at the tea-shop in Mempi?
(a) To be left alone.
(b) To take him back to Malgudi.
(c) To save the village from the tiger.
(d) Money to buy something to eat.
7. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
(a) All of the above.
(b) It consumes him and makes him feel like a child.
(c) He misses Vasu's rough friendship.
(d) He wishes he could re-establish cordiality.
8. What does Nataraj say about Vasu's proposal in the attic?
(a) Nataraj is ecstatic about his friend having a reason to be there more often.
(b) Nataraj debates carefully and decided the extra income would be beneficial.
(c) Nataraj is against the idea.
(d) Nataraj never answers but Vasu moves in anyway.
9. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) His staff was out.
(b) He was in a hurry to leave.
(c) He didn't believe he was serious.
(d) The press machine was broken.
10. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
(a) Argumentative and intellectual.
(b) Fun and rambuctious.
(c) Dominating and loud.
(d) Uncomfortable and awkward.
11. What makes Vasu change and become soft and agreeable?
(a) When everyone compliments him.
(b) When Nataraj threatens to evict him.
(c) The presence of women.
(d) The presence of an official.
12. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
(a) His confidence in the face of danger.
(b) His independence.
(c) His strength of character and ability to pursue his own will.
(d) His work ethic and success as a taxidermist.
13. What does Vasu do for a living?
(a) Vasu is a hunter.
(b) Vasu is a taxidermist.
(c) Vasu is police officer.
(d) Vasu is out of work.
14. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
(a) Summon the elephant with a great horn.
(b) Defend the village homes from the prowling tiger.
(c) Buy Nataraj a whole feast.
(d) Jump into his jeep and head into the jungle, leaving Nataraj stranded.
15. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
(a) The brothers were sent in different directions to learn careers.
(b) Nataraj's grandfother split the family up and emptied the house.
(c) A printing press was started to make them work together.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
2. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
3. What are the dynamics between Vasu and the poet?
4. What does Vasu want printed?
5. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)