|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
(a) The septuagenarian.
(b) The police inspector.
(c) The adjournment lawyer.
(d) The forestry officer.
2. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
(a) None of the above.
(b) A notice of complaints from municipal authority about the sanitation of the tanning business at the press.
(c) The notice of a new date for the court hearing.
(d) A bill from the lawyer for an extravagant amount of money.
3. Which of the following best describes Vasu's presence in the parlor?
(a) Dominating and loud.
(b) Argumentative and intellectual.
(c) Fun and rambuctious.
(d) Uncomfortable and awkward.
4. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(b) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
(c) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
(d) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
5. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) The politicians.
(b) His extended family.
(c) The owners of the Star.
(d) The girl he spurned at the market.
6. Which of the following best describes the relationship between Nataraj and Sastri?
(a) Nataraj rules the press with an iron fist and drives Sastri hard.
(b) Sometimes Nataraj feels like the employee instead of the employer.
(c) Sastri almost lives at the press because he has no family.
(d) Sastri and Nataraj share all tasks equally.
7. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The festival would be poorly attended.
(d) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
8. What action does Nataraj take regarding Vasu?
(a) He decides make Vasu's life difficult and hope he leaves.
(b) He confronts Vasu and tells him he must leave in a week.
(c) He pins a note on his door asking him to come talk to him, then tells him he needs the room.
(d) He summons the police to evict him.
9. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
(b) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(c) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
(d) The money will not be enough.
10. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
(a) Collect news stories for the paper.
(b) Bathe and wash his clothes in the river.
(c) Visit the elephant.
(d) None of the above.
11. What advice does Nataraj receive about Vasu?
(a) That he should ask him to leave.
(b) That nothing would be resolved without a fight.
(c) All of the above.
(d) That he is dangerous and he should proceed with caution.
12. What is the state of the citrus tree behind the house on Kabir Street?
(a) It is flourishing.
(b) Its produces an abundant crop that tastes bitter.
(c) It is withered and never bears any fruit.
(d) It was a great producer, but now only occasionally produces a couple fruits.
13. How does Vasu explain the stuffed hyena?
(a) Vasu says the hyena came from another forest years ago.
(b) Vasu claims to have shot the hyena on the street in front of the house.
(c) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena was a give from his master.
(d) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena belongs to Nataraj.
14. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
(a) Manipulative and deceiptful.
(b) Friendly and cordial.
(c) Competitive and suspicious.
(d) Cold and distant.
15. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
(a) His strength of character and ability to pursue his own will.
(b) His work ethic and success as a taxidermist.
(c) His independence.
(d) His confidence in the face of danger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Star?
2. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
3. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
4. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
5. What does speaking to Vasu remind Nataraj of?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)