|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nataraj's reaction to the problem the septuagenarian presents?
(a) Nataraj tells him that it's not his problem.
(b) Nataraj is deeply moved by the old man's plight.
(c) Nataraj wishes he would just go away.
(d) Nataraj vows to help him.
2. How does Nataraj feel about the enmity between him and Vasu?
(a) He wishes he could re-establish cordiality.
(b) He misses Vasu's rough friendship.
(c) It consumes him and makes him feel like a child.
(d) All of the above.
3. What had lived before in the house on Kabir street?
(a) The owner of the Star.
(b) A taxidermist.
(c) A wealthy family that wanted Nataraj to marry their daughter.
(d) Nataraj's extended family, consisting of four uncles and their families.
4. What is Nataraj working on when Vasu wants to take him on a jeep ride?
(a) Labels for aerated soda.
(b) Wedding invitations for the adjournment lawyer.
(c) The daily edition of the Star.
(d) Goldent Thoughts
5. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
(a) He threatens Nataraj against trying to evict him.
(b) He files a complaint against Nataraj as a landlord.
(c) He tries to hide his business so as to not bother anyone.
(d) He starts looking for a house.
6. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
(a) Because the laywer has filed a petition to delay his summons saying he is out of town.
(b) So Sastri can screen his visitors.
(c) So no one will interrupt his work.
(d) So that Vasu will not know he is there.
7. What does the lawyer say when Nataraj suggests they use the money he is owed to pay the court fees?
(a) That he will do so if it erases his entire debt.
(b) That it is a brilliant way of avoiding taxes.
(c) That the accounts must not be mixed.
(d) The money will not be enough.
8. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
(a) The tea-shop man.
(b) The adjournment lawyer for whom he printed wedding invitations.
(c) The forestry official.
(d) The police inspector he met on the bus.
9. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
(a) A demon.
(b) An invader.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A friend.
10. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(b) Ambitious and driven.
(c) Content, kind, and hard working.
(d) Frivolous and vain.
11. When Nataraj was growing up, why did his uncle give him money every day?
(a) To make a donation to the goddess for the sacred animals.
(b) To buy sugar to feed the ants.
(c) To buy bullets to scare away the crows and squirrels.
(d) To buy mice for the pet eagle.
12. What does Nataraj call Vasu?
(a) His tenant.
(b) A man-eater.
(c) His best friend.
(d) The life of his office.
13. What does Vasu do for a living?
(a) Vasu is out of work.
(b) Vasu is police officer.
(c) Vasu is a taxidermist.
(d) Vasu is a hunter.
14. Why was the printing job Nataraj was working on when Vasu takes him away urgent?
(a) The daily edition had to be printed early in the day.
(b) It was for a very influential person.
(c) The order was already late.
(d) The wedding was in two weeks.
15. What does the old Moslem tell Nataraj about his paper?
(a) He does not want it.
(b) He should store it differently.
(c) It is too old and completely brown.
(d) It is the best in the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a rakshasa?
2. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
3. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
4. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
5. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)