|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Vasu?
(a) Quiet, manipulative, and resentful.
(b) Strong, kind, and slightly confused.
(c) Demanding, sincere, and strongwilled.
(d) Loud, egotistical, and invasive.
2. What does Nataraj see in Vasu's room?
(a) Many stuffed animals, including his own cat.
(b) Decaying skins piled in a corner.
(c) The head of an elephant.
(d) The tiger skin laid out and ready for stuffing.
3. When Nataraj was growing up, why did his uncle give him money every day?
(a) To buy mice for the pet eagle.
(b) To buy sugar to feed the ants.
(c) To buy bullets to scare away the crows and squirrels.
(d) To make a donation to the goddess for the sacred animals.
4. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
(a) So that Vasu will not know he is there.
(b) So Sastri can screen his visitors.
(c) Because the laywer has filed a petition to delay his summons saying he is out of town.
(d) So no one will interrupt his work.
5. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
(a) The afternoon.
(b) A couple hours.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Until evening.
6. What does Nataraj have stashed away up in his attic that he wishes to be rid of?
(a) Old newspapers, magazines and other waste paper.
(b) Several animals stuffed by a taxidermist.
(c) Scorpions and snakes.
(d) All of the above.
7. Why was the printing job Nataraj was working on when Vasu takes him away urgent?
(a) The daily edition had to be printed early in the day.
(b) The order was already late.
(c) The wedding was in two weeks.
(d) It was for a very influential person.
8. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Frivolous and vain.
(b) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(c) Content, kind, and hard working.
(d) Ambitious and driven.
9. What does the tea-shop man carefully tend in Mempi?
(a) The animal population in the forest.
(b) A tame tiger kept in a kennel.
(c) The shrine of the goddess protecting drivers.
(d) His tea plantation.
10. What does Nataraj tell Vasu's friend about the printing job?
(a) To make careful final revisions and then bring it back.
(b) That there is a long waiting period to get things printed.
(c) That he needs to be paid up front.
(d) That it will be expensive to print.
11. Is Vasu Nataraj's tenant?
(a) No, he doesn't pay rent despite living in the attic.
(b) Yes, he gave Natraraj a sum upfront to move in.
(c) Yes, but pays a token rent amount.
(d) No, he isn't answerable to Nataraj.
12. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
(a) Few people seek legal council.
(b) The people he helps can't pay their bills.
(c) Since his daughters wedding he has had to give many gifts to his in-laws.
(d) He is negligent about handling money.
13. What does Vasu bring back to the building with him all the time after he starts going to the forest?
(a) Animals he has shot.
(b) People to look at and make offers on the stuffed tiger.
(c) Big game hunters.
(d) Friends to discuss tiger hunting.
14. How does Vasu end up in Nataraj's attic?
(a) He goes up to inspect the paper with the old moslem.
(b) He is looking for Nataraj.
(c) He goes up to try to get rid of the scorpions and snakes.
(d) He is curious and goes up when Nataraj is not looking.
15. Who does Nataraj consult to help decide what to do about Vasu?
(b) All of the above.
(c) Kavi, the poet.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter one, what part of the life Nataraj lives do we see?
2. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
3. What activity does Vasu start to engage in as his poaching becomes more difficult?
4. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
5. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)