|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the printing job Nataraj was working on when Vasu takes him away urgent?
(a) It was for a very influential person.
(b) The wedding was in two weeks.
(c) The daily edition had to be printed early in the day.
(d) The order was already late.
2. What does Vasu bring with him when he returns from Mempi?
(a) The printing order from the tea-shop man.
(b) The head of a tiger.
(c) Invitations to a procession with an elephant.
(d) The tea-shop man.
3. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(b) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
(c) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
(d) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
4. How does Vasu end up in Nataraj's attic?
(a) He goes up to inspect the paper with the old moslem.
(b) He is curious and goes up when Nataraj is not looking.
(c) He goes up to try to get rid of the scorpions and snakes.
(d) He is looking for Nataraj.
5. What interaction does Vasu have with a woman and her daughter on the roadside?
(a) He stops the car and helps the women tie up a bundle on a horse that has fallen off.
(b) He tries to persuade the woman and her daughter to join him and Nataraj in the jeep.
(c) He grabs some snacks the poor woman was peddling and leaves without paying.
(d) He aims the jeep at them and swerves at the last moment, laughing at their fright.
6. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(c) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(d) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
7. How does Vasu choose the details of the printing job he wants done?
(a) Vasu chooses the cheapest of everthing.
(b) Vasu has strong likes and dislikes and knows exactly what he wants.
(c) Vasu asks Nataraj to choose for him.
(d) Vasu chooses the most expensive of everything.
8. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
(a) Pretending to be his friend when he was not.
(b) Setting the forestry officer on him.
(c) Turning the neighbors against him.
(d) Stealing some of his merchandise.
9. What starts a friendly conversation between Nataraj and the tea-shop man?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The tea-shop man needs to print some fliers.
(c) The feast that Vasu has paid for.
(d) Both have been slighted by Vasu.
10. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
(a) I employ several specialists.
(b) As many as I need.
(c) Six people.
(d) Just Sastri.
11. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
(a) Buy Nataraj a whole feast.
(b) Summon the elephant with a great horn.
(c) Defend the village homes from the prowling tiger.
(d) Jump into his jeep and head into the jungle, leaving Nataraj stranded.
12. How does Nataraj feel about having the taxidermy business upstairs?
(a) It horrifies him.
(b) None of the above.
(c) He thinks it is sort of neat but dislikes the smell.
(d) He wishes he could create such life like creations.
13. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The festival would be poorly attended.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
(d) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
14. What move was taken to preserve peace between the five brothers and their families?
(a) Nataraj's grandfother split the family up and emptied the house.
(b) The brothers were sent in different directions to learn careers.
(c) A printing press was started to make them work together.
(d) None of the above.
15. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
(a) A forestry official.
(b) The prime minister.
(c) His fiancee.
(d) An animal trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kumar come to Mempi?
2. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
3. What is Nataraj working on when Vasu wants to take him on a jeep ride?
4. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
5. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)