|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Vasu accuse Nataraj of?
(a) Turning the neighbors against him.
(b) Stealing some of his merchandise.
(c) Pretending to be his friend when he was not.
(d) Setting the forestry officer on him.
2. Why has the adjournment lawyer had a hard time financially?
(a) Since his daughters wedding he has had to give many gifts to his in-laws.
(b) He is negligent about handling money.
(c) The people he helps can't pay their bills.
(d) Few people seek legal council.
3. What does Nataraj use his parlor for?
(a) All of the above.
(b) He keeps his printing machines in his parlour.
(c) He decorates his parlour with pictures so people think he has a family.
(d) Nataraj lets any passerby who needs a rest have a seat in his parlour.
4. Who does Nataraj consult to help decide what to do about Vasu?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Kavi, the poet.
(d) His wife.
5. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
(a) He tries to hide his business so as to not bother anyone.
(b) He threatens Nataraj against trying to evict him.
(c) He files a complaint against Nataraj as a landlord.
(d) He starts looking for a house.
6. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
(a) The festival would be poorly attended.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The rules were clearly being printed for Vasu's benefit.
(d) The book contained most of the sentiments Vasu missed in life.
7. How does Sastri change the conversation with the septuagenarian?
(a) Sastri tells the old man to leave the building.
(b) Sastri demands action.
(c) Sastri knows more of the story and shares his insight.
(d) Sastri mentions Vasu as the possible offender.
8. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
9. How does Nataraj fear the housing affair with Vasu will end?
(a) With the loss of the friendship between him and Vasu.
(b) With Vasu living above the press forever.
(c) With Vasu murdering him.
(d) With him in jail and Vasu running the press as a museum.
10. Which of the following best describes a philosophy practiced by Vasu?
(a) Might is right.
(b) As civilized beings, it is up to us to prove our superiority to nature.
(c) Hard work pays off.
(d) All of the above.
11. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
(a) Colour labels for K.J.'s aerated drinks.
(b) Business cards for a taxidermist.
(c) Invitations to a festival.
(d) The daily newspaper.
12. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
(a) Buy Nataraj a whole feast.
(b) Summon the elephant with a great horn.
(c) Defend the village homes from the prowling tiger.
(d) Jump into his jeep and head into the jungle, leaving Nataraj stranded.
13. Which of the following most accurately portrays the conversations between Nataraj and Vasu as of chapter two?
(a) Succinct and professional.
(b) Lengthy and thoughtful.
(c) Abrasive and slightly hostile.
(d) Personal and private.
14. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He was hoping to stop at a bar for a drink himself.
(c) He was hoping that Vasu would fall asleep in Mempi.
(d) It was worse that Vasu would conduct himself the way he did dead sober.
15. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
(a) He said his house would be available in several months.
(b) He is no longer looking for a house.
(c) He has a house but he rented it out for the money.
(d) He doesn't give an answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
2. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
3. What does Vasu receive from the forestry department?
4. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
5. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)