|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
(a) A foreman, an office boy, a compositor, a binder and an accountant.
(b) Just one, an old man called Sastri.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Nataraj worked with his whole family at the press.
2. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
(a) He hadn't planned on being gone, so he had no buttons for his shirt and no money to buy food.
(b) Vasu kept telling everyone what an excellent landlord he was.
(c) Everyone else there was a hunter.
(d) He knew nothing about tigers.
3. What does the tea-shop man carefully tend in Mempi?
(a) The animal population in the forest.
(b) His tea plantation.
(c) A tame tiger kept in a kennel.
(d) The shrine of the goddess protecting drivers.
4. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) The press machine was broken.
(b) He didn't believe he was serious.
(c) His staff was out.
(d) He was in a hurry to leave.
5. What does Sen like to discuss?
(b) The business of the press run by Nataraj.
(c) Epic poetry.
(d) The mistakes of the president, Nehru.
6. Which of the following is a phrase used to describe Vasu?
(a) Gentle oaf.
(b) Considerate to a fault.
(c) Intellectually honed.
(d) Lord of the universe.
7. What answer does Vasu give Nataraj about whether he found a house to live in?
(a) He has a house but he rented it out for the money.
(b) He is no longer looking for a house.
(c) He said his house would be available in several months.
(d) He doesn't give an answer.
8. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
(a) Emotional and easy to manipulate.
(b) Ambitious and driven.
(c) Frivolous and vain.
(d) Content, kind, and hard working.
9. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
(c) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(d) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
10. What does Vasu bring back to the building with him all the time after he starts going to the forest?
(a) People to look at and make offers on the stuffed tiger.
(b) Big game hunters.
(c) Friends to discuss tiger hunting.
(d) Animals he has shot.
11. What was lost when Nataraj's grandmother passed away?
(a) All documentation of Nataraj's existence.
(b) The stories of Nataraj's grandfather, an elephant handler.
(c) Family unity between the five brothers and their families.
(d) The ancestral home of the family.
12. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(b) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
(c) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
(d) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
13. What does Nataraj worry Vasu will do?
(a) Legally take the attic from him.
(b) Shoot more sacred animals just to make Nataraj angry.
(c) Bring live animals back to the attic.
(d) Take Babu hostage for ransom.
14. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
(a) So no one will interrupt his work.
(b) So that Vasu will not know he is there.
(c) So Sastri can screen his visitors.
(d) Because the laywer has filed a petition to delay his summons saying he is out of town.
15. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
(b) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(c) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
(d) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
2. What advice does Nataraj receive about Vasu?
3. What problem does the septuagenarian bring to Nataraj?
4. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
5. Who does Nataraj consult to help decide what to do about Vasu?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)