|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
(a) His fiancee.
(b) A forestry official.
(c) An animal trainer.
(d) The prime minister.
2. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
(b) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(c) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
(d) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
3. Does Nataraj have a family of his own?
(a) No, he was raised an orphan and never married.
(b) No, his closest family is a brother that lives nearby.
(c) Yes, he has a wife and a son.
(d) Yes, his four sons have recently married.
4. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
(a) A friend.
(b) A demon.
(c) A murderer.
(d) An invader.
5. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
(a) A couple hours.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) The afternoon.
(d) Until evening.
6. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
(a) The daily newspaper.
(b) Business cards for a taxidermist.
(c) Invitations to a festival.
(d) Colour labels for K.J.'s aerated drinks.
7. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) The press machine was broken.
(b) His staff was out.
(c) He was in a hurry to leave.
(d) He didn't believe he was serious.
8. How does Nataraj feel about people coming through the blue curtain into the back of the press?
(a) Nataraj hates the curtain but Sastri insists on keeping it up for privacy.
(b) Only people on business are allowed past the curtain into the back.
(c) The curtain is a barrier between two worlds and people are not invited to pass.
(d) The curtain is often left open for conversation and light to pass.
9. What does Sen like to discuss?
(a) The mistakes of the president, Nehru.
(c) Epic poetry.
(d) The business of the press run by Nataraj.
10. What does Vasu say when Sen criticizes Nehru?
(a) Vasu tells Sen that Vasu himself could do a better job being prime minister.
(b) Vasu tells Sen that if he is wiser than Nehru he should go try to be prime minister.
(c) Vasu agrees wholeheartedly with Sen's criticism.
(d) Vasu tells Sen that Nehru always does the right thing.
11. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
(a) They leave each other entirely alone.
(b) They have an argument and then re-establish peace.
(c) They often fight in public.
(d) They engage in sabotaging each other's lives.
12. After the court summons, what is the next thing official thing to arrive for Nataraj in a brown envelope?
(a) A bill from the lawyer for an extravagant amount of money.
(b) The notice of a new date for the court hearing.
(c) None of the above.
(d) A notice of complaints from municipal authority about the sanitation of the tanning business at the press.
13. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
(b) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(c) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
(d) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
14. Which of the following best describes Vasu?
(a) Strong, kind, and slightly confused.
(b) Loud, egotistical, and invasive.
(c) Quiet, manipulative, and resentful.
(d) Demanding, sincere, and strongwilled.
15. What action does Nataraj take regarding Vasu?
(a) He confronts Vasu and tells him he must leave in a week.
(b) He pins a note on his door asking him to come talk to him, then tells him he needs the room.
(c) He decides make Vasu's life difficult and hope he leaves.
(d) He summons the police to evict him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and wants to ask Nataraj questions about Vasu?
2. What does Nataraj promise the Septuagenaraian in order to appease him?
3. What misunderstanding occurs between Vasu and Nataraj?
4. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
5. How much room does Nataraj need for his printing press?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)