|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
(a) The afternoon.
(b) A couple hours.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Until evening.
2. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
(c) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(d) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
3. How does Nataraj return to Malgudi from Mempi?
(a) By taxi.
(b) The tea-shop man gets him a ride with a relative.
(c) An eight hour bus ride on credit.
(d) Vasu drives him back.
4. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
(b) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
(c) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(d) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
5. What new problem brought on by Vasu bothers Sastri at the press?
(a) Vasu driving away Sen and the poet.
(b) All of the above.
(c) A stuffed hyena at the bottom of the stairs.
(d) The sound of Vasu's heavy boots pacing back and forth.
6. What does Vasu want printed?
(a) Fliers about a festival.
(b) Business cards and letterhead.
(c) Advertisements for his business services.
(d) None of the above.
7. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
(a) He doesn't, he lets it unfold as it will.
(b) He sends Vasu out on frequent errands.
(c) He defends Sen and the poet all the time.
(d) He removes the Queen Anne chair.
8. Who currently lives in the house on Kabir Street?
(a) A famous elephant trainer.
(b) The owners of the Star.
(c) Just Nataraj.
(d) Nataraj, his wife, and son Babu.
9. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He was hoping that Vasu would fall asleep in Mempi.
(c) It was worse that Vasu would conduct himself the way he did dead sober.
(d) He was hoping to stop at a bar for a drink himself.
10. What does the old Moslem tell Nataraj about his paper?
(a) It is too old and completely brown.
(b) He should store it differently.
(c) He does not want it.
(d) It is the best in the neighborhood.
11. What is the first action of Vasu in The Man-eater of Malgudi?
(a) The first action of Vasu is to order a large printing job.
(b) The first action of Vasu is to barge through the curtain, violating the traditions of Nataraj's press.
(c) The first action of Vasu is to show Nataraj a selection of his work.
(d) The first action of Vasu is to threaten Nataraj.
12. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) The owners of the Star.
(b) The girl he spurned at the market.
(c) The politicians.
(d) His extended family.
13. Why does Nataraj tell Vasu he must return another day to make decisions about his printing job?
(a) His staff was out.
(b) He was in a hurry to leave.
(c) The press machine was broken.
(d) He didn't believe he was serious.
14. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
(a) The adjournment lawyer for whom he printed wedding invitations.
(b) The tea-shop man.
(c) The forestry official.
(d) The police inspector he met on the bus.
15. What does Nataraj answer when Vasu asks him how many people he employs in his press?
(a) As many as I need.
(b) I employ several specialists.
(c) Six people.
(d) Just Sastri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nataraj working on when Vasu wants to take him on a jeep ride?
2. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
3. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
4. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
5. Which of the following most accurately portrays the conversations between Nataraj and Vasu as of chapter two?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)