|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vasu say when Sen criticizes Nehru?
(a) Vasu tells Sen that Vasu himself could do a better job being prime minister.
(b) Vasu agrees wholeheartedly with Sen's criticism.
(c) Vasu tells Sen that if he is wiser than Nehru he should go try to be prime minister.
(d) Vasu tells Sen that Nehru always does the right thing.
2. What happened during the time Nataraj was studying at the Albert Mission?
(a) He was betrothed by his family to a girl he refused to marry.
(b) His grandfather passed away and his father inherited the ancestral home.
(c) The Star needed a new apprentice and offered him the position.
(d) He had many dreams about an elephant.
3. What is Nataraj working on when Vasu wants to take him on a jeep ride?
(a) Goldent Thoughts
(b) Wedding invitations for the adjournment lawyer.
(c) The daily edition of the Star.
(d) Labels for aerated soda.
4. What action does Nataraj take regarding Vasu?
(a) He confronts Vasu and tells him he must leave in a week.
(b) He decides make Vasu's life difficult and hope he leaves.
(c) He pins a note on his door asking him to come talk to him, then tells him he needs the room.
(d) He summons the police to evict him.
5. What new problem brought on by Vasu bothers Sastri at the press?
(a) A stuffed hyena at the bottom of the stairs.
(b) Vasu driving away Sen and the poet.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The sound of Vasu's heavy boots pacing back and forth.
6. What does Nataraj say he should have done if he cared for a peaceful existence?
(a) Close his parlour.
(b) Negotiate with his family.
(c) Reject Vasu on the first day.
(d) Run the printing press by himself.
7. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
(a) Competitive and suspicious.
(b) Friendly and cordial.
(c) Manipulative and deceiptful.
(d) Cold and distant.
8. In the beginning of chapter two, what are Nataraj and Sastri printing?
(a) Business cards for a taxidermist.
(b) The daily newspaper.
(c) Colour labels for K.J.'s aerated drinks.
(d) Invitations to a festival.
9. What does Nataraj have stashed away up in his attic that he wishes to be rid of?
(a) Old newspapers, magazines and other waste paper.
(b) Scorpions and snakes.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Several animals stuffed by a taxidermist.
10. How long does Vasu say the jeep ride he takes Nataraj on will take?
(a) A couple hours.
(b) The afternoon.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Until evening.
11. Why does the adjournment lawyer owe Nataraj?
(a) None of the above.
(b) He is Nataraj's tenent.
(c) Nataraj lent him money.
(d) He has not yet paid for the wedding invitations.
12. Who does Nataraj run into that helps him with his situation?
(a) The adjournment lawyer for whom he printed wedding invitations.
(b) The tea-shop man.
(c) The police inspector he met on the bus.
(d) The forestry official.
13. What was lost when Nataraj's grandmother passed away?
(a) Family unity between the five brothers and their families.
(b) The stories of Nataraj's grandfather, an elephant handler.
(c) All documentation of Nataraj's existence.
(d) The ancestral home of the family.
14. How does Vasu explain the stuffed hyena?
(a) Vasu claims to have shot the hyena on the street in front of the house.
(b) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena belongs to Nataraj.
(c) Vasu says the hyena came from another forest years ago.
(d) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena was a give from his master.
15. What does Vasu ask of Nataraj in the attic?
(a) Vasu asks Nataraj to store his professional equipment.
(b) Vasu asks Nataraj if he can live in the attic.
(c) Vasu asks Nataraj to think of him as family.
(d) Vasu asks Nataraj to share the fee collected from the old moslem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Nataraj a little disappointed that Vasu was not drunk during the jeep ride to Mempi?
2. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
3. What does Nataraj admire about Vasu even when they are no longer friends?
4. What does Nataraj worry Vasu will do?
5. What is a rakshasa?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)