|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
(a) He hadn't planned on being gone, so he had no buttons for his shirt and no money to buy food.
(b) Vasu kept telling everyone what an excellent landlord he was.
(c) Everyone else there was a hunter.
(d) He knew nothing about tigers.
2. What does Vasu do in the village of Mempi?
(a) Summon the elephant with a great horn.
(b) Buy Nataraj a whole feast.
(c) Defend the village homes from the prowling tiger.
(d) Jump into his jeep and head into the jungle, leaving Nataraj stranded.
3. What does Vasu do for a living?
(a) Vasu is out of work.
(b) Vasu is a hunter.
(c) Vasu is police officer.
(d) Vasu is a taxidermist.
4. What does Vasu bring with him when he returns from Mempi?
(a) The tea-shop man.
(b) Invitations to a procession with an elephant.
(c) The head of a tiger.
(d) The printing order from the tea-shop man.
5. How does Vasu explain the stuffed hyena?
(a) Vasu says the hyena came from another forest years ago.
(b) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena was a give from his master.
(c) Vasu claims to have shot the hyena on the street in front of the house.
(d) Vasu claims the stuffed hyena belongs to Nataraj.
6. What does Nataraj do early every morning?
(a) Visit the elephant.
(b) Collect news stories for the paper.
(c) Bathe and wash his clothes in the river.
(d) None of the above.
7. What profession did Vasu engage in earlier in life?
(a) He was a strong man that performed at markets and fairs crushing granite and bending iron.
(b) None of the above.
(c) He was a large game safari hunter that protected travelers as they crossed wilderness.
(d) He was a monk in an isolated monastery.
8. What is the relationship like between Nataraj and his neighbors?
(a) Friendly and cordial.
(b) Cold and distant.
(c) Competitive and suspicious.
(d) Manipulative and deceiptful.
9. Who interrupts Vasu and Nataraj's conversation? What is Vasu's reaction?
(a) The poet interrupts them, and Vasu ignores him.
(b) Babu, Nataraj's son interrupts them, and Vasu brushes him off.
(c) Sastri interrupts them, and Vasu yells at him.
(d) A woman interrupts them, and Vasu falls respectfully silent when she approaches.
10. How does Nataraj control the situation in his parlor?
(a) He removes the Queen Anne chair.
(b) He doesn't, he lets it unfold as it will.
(c) He defends Sen and the poet all the time.
(d) He sends Vasu out on frequent errands.
11. How do Sen and the poet react when Vasu comes into the parlor?
(a) Sen and the poet argue incessantly with Vasu.
(b) Sen and the poet try to leave when Vasu comes.
(c) Sen and the poet anticipate Vasu's arrival and are despondent without him.
(d) Sen and the poet talk for hours with Vasu about his past.
12. What does Vasu want printed?
(a) Business cards and letterhead.
(b) Advertisements for his business services.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Fliers about a festival.
13. What is a rakshasa?
(a) A situation in which the person with true power is left powerless in the face of a lesser power with more conviction.
(b) A man-eating tiger.
(c) A small weasel like predator in the Mempi forest.
(d) A demoniac creature with strange powers that recognizes no restraints of man or God.
14. How is Vasu at keeping his appointment?
(a) He keeps his engagements.
(b) He demands an appointment immediately the first time he wanders in.
(c) He misses the time agreed on for him to return, but shows up fifteen days later.
(d) He arrives early.
15. How does Nataraj feel about having the taxidermy business upstairs?
(a) He thinks it is sort of neat but dislikes the smell.
(b) It horrifies him.
(c) He wishes he could create such life like creations.
(d) None of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was lost when Nataraj's grandmother passed away?
2. Which of the following best describes the relationship between Nataraj and Sastri?
3. What does Nataraj think about Vasu's friend's printing job?
4. Why does the adjournment lawyer owe Nataraj?
5. Where is the office that Nataraj must visit?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)