|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had lived before in the house on Kabir street?
(a) Nataraj's extended family, consisting of four uncles and their families.
(b) A taxidermist.
(c) The owner of the Star.
(d) A wealthy family that wanted Nataraj to marry their daughter.
2. What does Nataraj say about Vasu's proposal in the attic?
(a) Nataraj is ecstatic about his friend having a reason to be there more often.
(b) Nataraj debates carefully and decided the extra income would be beneficial.
(c) Nataraj never answers but Vasu moves in anyway.
(d) Nataraj is against the idea.
3. What person does Vasu bring into Nataraj's parlor?
(a) His fiancee.
(b) A forestry official.
(c) An animal trainer.
(d) The prime minister.
4. What new problem brought on by Vasu bothers Sastri at the press?
(a) A stuffed hyena at the bottom of the stairs.
(b) Vasu driving away Sen and the poet.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The sound of Vasu's heavy boots pacing back and forth.
5. What did Vasu hear about when they reached Mempi?
(a) There was a wild elephant nearby in the jungle.
(b) Several poachers had been shot and killed.
(c) The forestry service was taking the week off.
(d) There had been a tiger prowling through town the previous night.
6. What does Nataraj have stashed away up in his attic that he wishes to be rid of?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Several animals stuffed by a taxidermist.
(c) Scorpions and snakes.
(d) Old newspapers, magazines and other waste paper.
7. Nataraj denies that Vasu is a tenant, but claims he is what?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A friend.
(c) A demon.
(d) An invader.
8. What problem does the septuagenarian bring to Nataraj?
(a) His grandson's dog had been shot.
(b) He is trying to rent a room in his home but no-one will rent near Vasu.
(c) The odor of Vasu's work is hurting his lungs.
(d) He is afraid of Vasu's violence.
9. Which of the following best describes the feelings of the poet about Vasu?
10. What does Nataraj suddenly fear when Vasu carelessly answers his request for money?
(a) That Vasu had forgotten that they were friends.
(b) That maybe Vasu was abducting him for ransom.
(c) That he would starve to death.
(d) That he wouln't make it home in time for his appointment.
11. How many people work with Nataraj at his press?
(a) Nataraj worked with his whole family at the press.
(b) None of the above.
(c) A foreman, an office boy, a compositor, a binder and an accountant.
(d) Just one, an old man called Sastri.
12. Why does Nataraj feel silly in Mempi?
(a) Everyone else there was a hunter.
(b) Vasu kept telling everyone what an excellent landlord he was.
(c) He knew nothing about tigers.
(d) He hadn't planned on being gone, so he had no buttons for his shirt and no money to buy food.
13. What action does Vasu take regarding where he lives?
(a) He tries to hide his business so as to not bother anyone.
(b) He files a complaint against Nataraj as a landlord.
(c) He threatens Nataraj against trying to evict him.
(d) He starts looking for a house.
14. What is the relationship between Nataraj and Vasu like for a couple weeks after the court summons?
(a) They often fight in public.
(b) They have an argument and then re-establish peace.
(c) They leave each other entirely alone.
(d) They engage in sabotaging each other's lives.
15. Who gives Nataraj cold looks when he runs into them on the street?
(a) The girl he spurned at the market.
(b) His extended family.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The owners of the Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened during the time Nataraj was studying at the Albert Mission?
2. What does Nataraj call Vasu?
3. How is Vasu at keeping his appointment?
4. Which of the following best describes the kind of man that Nataraj is?
5. Why must Nataraj stay hidden behind his blue curtain while the court is in session?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)