|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nestor marry Delores?
2. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
3. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
4. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
5. How does Nestor feel about his celebrity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cesar handle Nestor's death?
2. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
3. How does Cesar feel about his daughter in Havana?
4. How does Lydia feel about Cesar?
5. About what does Cesar begin to hallucinate?
6. How is Cesar in his old age?
7. How does Cesar feel about asking Lydia out on a date?
8. What happens between Eugenio and his father?
9. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
10. Why does Mariela not want to leave Cuba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar drinks himself to death.
Part 1) Why does Cesar drink excessively?
Part 2) What effect does the alcohol have on his body and his relationships?
Part 3) Why does he not stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Cesar and Nestor leave Cuba, in part, because of their father.
Part 1) Describe their father.
Part 2) When Cesar sees his father in Cuba, has his father changed? Explain.
Part 3) How does their father's personality and behavior affect Cesar and Nestor?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)