|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
2. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
3. Where does the story begin?
4. What does Nestor hope a family life will do?
5. How does Nestor feel about his celebrity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cesar's ice cream cart not succeed?
2. What transpires between Cesar and Don Emilio's wife, Carmen?
3. Why does Cesar hire Eugenio?
4. What does Eugenio imagine?
5. How is Cesar found at the Hotel Splendour?
6. About what does Cesar dream?
7. Why does Mariela not want to leave Cuba?
8. What does Cesar think is important for Eugenio to know? Why is he worried about Eugenio?
9. Where are Cesar's other brothers by 1967?
10. How does Cesar's relationship with Celia end?
Essay Topic 1
The Mambo Kings grow close to Desi Arnaz.
Part 1) Who is Desi Arnaz?
Part 2) How do they meet Arnaz?
Part 3) What affect does their relationship with Arnaz have on their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar drinks himself to death.
Part 1) Why does Cesar drink excessively?
Part 2) What effect does the alcohol have on his body and his relationships?
Part 3) Why does he not stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,465 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)