|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
2. What happens to Nestor because of this?
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
4. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
5. By what is Cesar plagued?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cesar's father.
2. How is Eugenio able to please Arnaz?
3. How does Cesar's vacation in Cuba help him heal?
4. Why does Cesar not ask for help with his depression?
5. Why does Cesar's ice cream cart not succeed?
6. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
7. How does Cesar's relationship with Celia end?
8. How does Cesar feel while in a relationship with Lydia?
9. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
10. Describe the popularity of the Mambo Kings by 1954.
Essay Topic 1
Nestor and Cesar's cousin, Pedro, warns them that the only way to happiness is through family.
Part 1) Why does he give them this warning?
Part 2) Do they heed this warning? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this warning affect Cesar later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Maria is Nestor's lost love.
Part 1) How does he lose her?
Part 2) What does he do to remember and honor her?
Part 3) How does he try to forget her? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cesar remains in New York City, while his brothers live in Miami.
Part 1) Why does he remain in New York City?
Part 2) What bothers him about his brothers' lives in Miami?
Part 3) What does his reason for remaining in New York City and his feelings about his brothers say about Cesar?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)