|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
2. Why does Cesar's wife finally leave him?
3. What does Pablo say makes a man happy?
4. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
5. What is the most important aspect of being in Julian's band, according to Cesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
2. Why does Cesar visit Bernardito Mandelbaum? What does he give him?
3. Where are Cesar's other brothers by 1967?
4. How does Cesar spend the waning days of his life?
5. Describe the popularity of the Mambo Kings by 1954.
6. How does the novel end?
7. What does Eugenio think about Desi Arnaz's home?
8. Why does Cesar hire Eugenio?
9. What evidence shows that Cesar feels insecure about Lydia's feelings for him?
10. How does Eugenio feel after having a conversation with Desi Arnaz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The hearts represent both Cesar and Nestor.
Part 1) Describe the scene with the hearts.
Part 2) What do the hearts mean, regarding Cesar and Nestor?
Part 3) How does this realization about the hearts affect Eugenio? Are the hearts an effective use of imagery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar drinks himself to death.
Part 1) Why does Cesar drink excessively?
Part 2) What effect does the alcohol have on his body and his relationships?
Part 3) Why does he not stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his life, Cesar indulges in women and alcohol.
Part 1) Give an example of each.
Part 2) Why is he promiscuous?
Part 3) How do these indulgences affect his relationships with others?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)