|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other band members suggest to Cesar?
2. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
3. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
4. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
5. Why does Delores's father leave Cuba and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cesar's vacation in Cuba help him heal?
2. Why does Cesar begin to play again after Nestor's death?
3. How do Cesar and his daughter spend their short time together?
4. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
5. How does Cesar first meet Lydia?
6. How is Eugenio able to please Arnaz?
7. Why does Mariela not want to leave Cuba?
8. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
9. What does Cesar do to a forty-year-old unmarried woman? How does he justify his actions?
10. How is Fernando Perez able to help Cesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cesar's daughter, Meriela, does not leave Cuba.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does Cesar feel about her not wanting to leave?
Part 3) How is her life in Cuba different from many other Cubans? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Maria is Nestor's lost love.
Part 1) How does he lose her?
Part 2) What does he do to remember and honor her?
Part 3) How does he try to forget her? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The hearts represent both Cesar and Nestor.
Part 1) Describe the scene with the hearts.
Part 2) What do the hearts mean, regarding Cesar and Nestor?
Part 3) How does this realization about the hearts affect Eugenio? Are the hearts an effective use of imagery? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,661 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)