|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
2. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
4. What happens to the DeSoto?
5. What is realized over drinks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Cesar's other brothers by 1967?
2. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
3. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
4. How does Cesar's vacation in Cuba help him heal?
5. What does Celia want from Cesar? Is she successful?
6. How does Cesar handle Nestor's death?
7. How does Lydia feel about Cesar?
8. How does Cesar feel about asking Lydia out on a date?
9. How does Cesar help young Cuban musicians?
10. Why does Cesar not ask for help with his depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Mambo Kings are a very popular band in the 1950s.
Part 1) Who are the Mambo Kings? How do they end up in the United States?
Part 2) How do they become popular?
Part 3) How do the Mambo Kings handle their fame and fortune?
Essay Topic 3
Maria is Nestor's lost love.
Part 1) How does he lose her?
Part 2) What does he do to remember and honor her?
Part 3) How does he try to forget her? Is he successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)