|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
2. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
3. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
4. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
5. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Cesar and his daughter spend their short time together?
2. What does Cesar do to a forty-year-old unmarried woman? How does he justify his actions?
3. About what does Cesar begin to hallucinate?
4. How does Cesar feel about asking Lydia out on a date?
5. Why does Cesar not ask for help with his depression?
6. How is Nestor killed?
7. Why does Cesar want to drink himself to death?
8. What does Cesar think is important for Eugenio to know? Why is he worried about Eugenio?
9. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
10. What happens to Cesar's club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his life, Cesar indulges in women and alcohol.
Part 1) Give an example of each.
Part 2) Why is he promiscuous?
Part 3) How do these indulgences affect his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 2
The Mambo Kings are a very popular band in the 1950s.
Part 1) Who are the Mambo Kings? How do they end up in the United States?
Part 2) How do they become popular?
Part 3) How do the Mambo Kings handle their fame and fortune?
Essay Topic 3
Cesar drinks himself to death.
Part 1) Why does Cesar drink excessively?
Part 2) What effect does the alcohol have on his body and his relationships?
Part 3) Why does he not stop drinking?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)