|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
2. Why does Nestor marry Delores?
3. How many times does Nestor "Beautiful Maria of My Soul?"
4. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
5. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Cesar play anymore? If so, where?
2. What happens between Eugenio and his father?
3. What is taking place with the hearts?
4. How does Cesar help young Cuban musicians?
5. Why does Cesar's ice cream cart not succeed?
6. How is Cesar in his old age?
7. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
8. How does Cesar first meet Lydia?
9. What does Cesar do to a forty-year-old unmarried woman? How does he justify his actions?
10. How does Cesar feel while in a relationship with Lydia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Cesar and Nestor suffer from depression.
Part 1) What are the causes of their depression?
Part 2) Why do they not seek help?
Part 3) How do each of the brothers deal with their depression?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar takes a vacation to Cuba.
Part 1) Why does he go to Cuba?
Part 2) Who does he see in Cuba?
Part 3) What affect does this trip have on him?
Essay Topic 3
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)