|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cesar's intention?
2. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
3. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
4. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
5. What is the most important aspect of being in Julian's band, according to Cesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cesar begin to play again after Nestor's death?
2. How do Cesar's ailments affect his relationship with Lydia?
3. What does Perez do with Cesar's mambo club?
4. Where are Cesar's other brothers by 1967?
5. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
6. About what does Cesar begin to hallucinate?
7. Does Cesar play anymore? If so, where?
8. How does Delores feel about Lydia?
9. Who is Maria?
10. How do Cesar and his daughter spend their short time together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cesar joins the Merchant Marines.
Part 1) Why does he join the Merchant Marines?
Part 2) What does he do with the Merchant Marines?
Part 3) How does this experience affect Cesar?
Essay Topic 2
Nestor is killed at the age of thirty.
Part 1) How is he killed?
Part 2) Is it an accident or a suicide? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Part 3) How does his death affect those that are close to him?
Essay Topic 3
Both Cesar and Nestor suffer from depression.
Part 1) What are the causes of their depression?
Part 2) Why do they not seek help?
Part 3) How do each of the brothers deal with their depression?
This section contains 1,550 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)