|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
2. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
3. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
4. How does Delores feel about the celebrities in her home?
5. How does Cesar try to help his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Delores.
2. How does Cesar spend the waning days of his life?
3. How to the Castillo brothers handle their popularity?
4. Why does Cesar not ask for help with his depression?
5. How does Cesar's relationship with Celia end?
6. Why does Cesar's ice cream cart not succeed?
7. Who is Maria?
8. About what does Cesar begin to hallucinate?
9. Why does Cesar visit Bernardito Mandelbaum? What does he give him?
10. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Cesar and Nestor suffer from depression.
Part 1) What are the causes of their depression?
Part 2) Why do they not seek help?
Part 3) How do each of the brothers deal with their depression?
Essay Topic 2
Nestor is killed at the age of thirty.
Part 1) How is he killed?
Part 2) Is it an accident or a suicide? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Part 3) How does his death affect those that are close to him?
Essay Topic 3
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)