|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
2. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
3. Where do Cesar and Nestor find themselves few months later?
4. How does Nestor act in California?
5. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires between Cesar and Don Emilio's wife, Carmen?
2. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
3. What does Cesar think is important for Eugenio to know? Why is he worried about Eugenio?
4. What is taking place with the hearts?
5. How does Cesar spend the waning days of his life?
6. How do the Castillo brother handle the fame and fortune acquired from being on the "I Love Lucy" show?
7. How does Cesar handle Nestor's death?
8. Who is Maria?
9. Why does Cesar remain in New York City?
10. How is Cesar found at the Hotel Splendour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar remains in New York City, while his brothers live in Miami.
Part 1) Why does he remain in New York City?
Part 2) What bothers him about his brothers' lives in Miami?
Part 3) What does his reason for remaining in New York City and his feelings about his brothers say about Cesar?
Essay Topic 3
Cesar takes a vacation to Cuba.
Part 1) Why does he go to Cuba?
Part 2) Who does he see in Cuba?
Part 3) What affect does this trip have on him?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)