|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delores prepare for the guests?
2. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
3. What happens to Nestor because of this?
4. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
5. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
2. Who is Maria?
3. What does Celia want from Cesar? Is she successful?
4. What transpires between Cesar and Don Emilio's wife, Carmen?
5. How do Cesar's ailments affect his relationship with Lydia?
6. How does Delores feel about Lydia?
7. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
8. How to the Castillo brothers handle their popularity?
9. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
10. How is Eugenio able to please Arnaz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cesar's will to live dies with his brother.
Part 1) Use information from the text to support this statement.
Part 2) Does Cesar's behavior change after his brother's death? What is the reason for his behavior?
Part 3) How does Cesar resolve this lack of desire to survive without his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar joins the Merchant Marines.
Part 1) Why does he join the Merchant Marines?
Part 2) What does he do with the Merchant Marines?
Part 3) How does this experience affect Cesar?
Essay Topic 3
Both Cesar and Nestor suffer from depression.
Part 1) What are the causes of their depression?
Part 2) Why do they not seek help?
Part 3) How do each of the brothers deal with their depression?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)