|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
2. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
3. Why is Nestor impressed by this girl?
4. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
5. What is Cesar's intention?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cesar first meet Lydia?
2. How do Cesar's ailments affect his relationship with Lydia?
3. Why does Cesar marry Luisa?
4. How is Cesar in his old age?
5. What does Eugenio imagine?
6. How does Cesar handle Nestor's death?
7. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
8. Why does Mariela not want to leave Cuba?
9. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
10. How is Nestor killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nestor and Cesar's cousin, Pedro, warns them that the only way to happiness is through family.
Part 1) Why does he give them this warning?
Part 2) Do they heed this warning? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this warning affect Cesar later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar is a very generous man.
Part 1) How is he generous?
Part 2) Why is he generous?
Part 3) What affect does his generosity have on him later in life?
Essay Topic 3
Maria is Nestor's lost love.
Part 1) How does he lose her?
Part 2) What does he do to remember and honor her?
Part 3) How does he try to forget her? Is he successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)