|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job do Cesar and Nestor have during the day?
2. What does Cesar do for his daughter?
3. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
4. Why are they in this city?
5. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cesar think is important for Eugenio to know? Why is he worried about Eugenio?
2. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
3. How does Cesar handle Nestor's death?
4. How does the novel end?
5. What evidence shows that Cesar feels insecure about Lydia's feelings for him?
6. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
7. How does Lydia feel about Cesar?
8. How do Cesar and his daughter spend their short time together?
9. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
10. Does Cesar play anymore? If so, where?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cesar joins the Merchant Marines.
Part 1) Why does he join the Merchant Marines?
Part 2) What does he do with the Merchant Marines?
Part 3) How does this experience affect Cesar?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar's will to live dies with his brother.
Part 1) Use information from the text to support this statement.
Part 2) Does Cesar's behavior change after his brother's death? What is the reason for his behavior?
Part 3) How does Cesar resolve this lack of desire to survive without his brother?
Essay Topic 3
Nestor is killed at the age of thirty.
Part 1) How is he killed?
Part 2) Is it an accident or a suicide? Use information from the text to support your answer.
Part 3) How does his death affect those that are close to him?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)