|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
2. With whom is Nestor standing in all their youthful prowess?
3. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
4. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
5. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what does Cesar dream?
2. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
3. What does Perez do with Cesar's mambo club?
4. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
5. Why does Mariela not want to leave Cuba?
6. About what is "The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love?"
7. What evidence shows that Cesar feels insecure about Lydia's feelings for him?
8. How is Eugenio able to please Arnaz?
9. What is taking place with the hearts?
10. How does Cesar's relationship with Celia end?
Essay Topic 1
Nestor and Cesar's cousin, Pedro, warns them that the only way to happiness is through family.
Part 1) Why does he give them this warning?
Part 2) Do they heed this warning? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this warning affect Cesar later in life?
Essay Topic 2
Cesar drinks himself to death.
Part 1) Why does Cesar drink excessively?
Part 2) What effect does the alcohol have on his body and his relationships?
Part 3) Why does he not stop drinking?
Essay Topic 3
A powerful theme in this novel is that the bonds of love are unbreakable.
Part 1) Name two unbreakable bonds of love found in this novel.
Part 2) Describe these two bonds.
Part 3) Is all the love in this book unbreakable? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)