|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nestor hope a family life will do?
(a) Erase any traces of Maria from his mind.
(b) Help him settle down.
(c) Make him feel more at home in New York City.
(d) Bring him more honor.
2. What happens to Nestor because of this?
(a) He dies.
(b) He has no car.
(c) He is seriously injured.
(d) He has to call a tow truck.
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) The Salsa Tsar.
(b) The Mambo King.
(c) A Cuban warlord.
(d) A cooking sensation.
4. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) The desire to gamble.
(b) Heart trouble.
(c) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(d) Bouts of depression.
5. How does Nestor feel about his celebrity?
(a) He is plagued by depression.
(b) He enjoys it.
(c) He loves it but misses his family.
(d) He basks in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delores's father do every night?
2. What does Cesar do for his daughter?
3. What question does Maria continually evade?
4. When does Nestor first meet Maria?
5. Why does Cesar's wife finally leave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the popularity of the Mambo Kings by 1954.
2. What transpires between Cesar and Don Emilio's wife, Carmen?
3. How does Cesar spend the waning days of his life?
4. What does Cesar do in his travels with the Merchant Marines?
5. What does the doctor say is happening to Cesar?
6. How do Eugenio and Leticia treat their uncle? Why do they treat him this way?
7. How does Eugenio feel after having a conversation with Desi Arnaz?
8. How does the novel end?
9. How does Cesar feel about his daughter in Havana?
10. What happens that causes Cesar to become angry with Lydia?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)