|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
(a) He intervenes during the fight.
(b) He becomes her tutor.
(c) He buys her a meal.
(d) He teaches her how to dance.
2. Why is Nestor impressed by this girl?
(a) She looks very wealthy.
(b) She is intelligent and beautiful.
(c) She intelligent, although not very beautiful.
(d) She is also from Havana.
3. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(b) Leaving Cuba.
(c) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
(d) Their love to end.
4. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) The desire to gamble.
(b) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(c) Bouts of depression.
(d) Heart trouble.
5. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
(a) Chicago clubs.
(b) Miami clubs.
(c) Los Angeles clubs.
(d) New York City clubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cesar do for his daughter?
2. When does Nestor first meet Maria?
3. What question does Maria continually evade?
4. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
5. How does Delores feel about the celebrities in her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Cesar's other brothers by 1967?
2. Why does Cesar begin to play again after Nestor's death?
3. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
4. How is Cesar found at the Hotel Splendour?
5. Describe The Castillo brothers' arrival in New York City in 1949.
6. Why does Cesar marry Luisa?
7. What does Perez do with Cesar's mambo club?
8. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
9. What evidence shows that Cesar feels insecure about Lydia's feelings for him?
10. How does the novel end?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)