|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
(a) The rise of the new dictatorship.
(b) An abusive father.
(d) A civil war.
2. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(b) Read books.
(c) Go to night school.
(d) Go out dancing.
3. What happens to the DeSoto?
(a) It is stolen in New Jersey.
(b) The breaks lock, and it hits a telephone pole.
(c) It breaks down in the middle of Pennsylvania.
(d) It hits a patch of ice and hits a tree.
4. To where does Maria move?
(a) A little house with the man who had been beating her up on the night Nestor came to her rescue.
(b) Back to her family's home, away from Nestor.
(c) The other side of Cuba to escape Nestor.
5. Why does Cesar's wife finally leave him?
(a) One of his girlfriends is pregnant.
(b) He invites a girlfriend home.
(c) He is abusive to her and their daughter.
(d) He has other girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nestor marry Delores?
2. What does Cesar do for his daughter?
3. What question does Maria continually evade?
4. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
5. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celia want from Cesar? Is she successful?
2. Why does Cesar hire Eugenio?
3. Does Cesar play anymore? If so, where?
4. Who is Maria?
5. What is it that Cesar likes about Lydia?
6. How does the novel end?
7. How do the Mambo Kings meet Desi Arnaz?
8. What does Eugenio imagine?
9. What do the Castillo brothers have in common with Desi Arnaz?
10. How does Cesar feel while in a relationship with Lydia?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)