|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Fernando Perez?
(a) A notorious gangster in the Latin community in New York City.
(b) Cesar's best friend.
(c) The mayor of New York City at the time.
(d) Cesar's boss.
2. Why does Cesar's neighbor knock on his door?
(a) To invite Cesar to a party.
(b) To say hello.
(c) To ask if Cesar has any alcohol he can buy.
(d) To tell him to turn down his television.
3. How does Cesar known Bernardito Mendelbaum?
(a) He used to be in the Mambo Kings' band.
(b) He is also from Havana.
(c) He worked with Cesar and Nestor at the meat packing plant.
(d) He used to be Cesar and Nestor's roommate.
4. Why does Celia do this to Cesar?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She cannot wait any longer to be married.
(c) She wants revenge.
(d) She tries to prevent him from going out.
5. Who enter Cesar's life thrilled to be with the famous Cesar Castillo?
(a) New friends.
(b) The club owners.
(d) Young musicians.
6. What leads Cesar to hire Eugenio to help with maintenance at the apartment building?
(b) A new management company.
(c) New tenants.
(d) More work than usual.
7. Into what does Perez convert the club?
(a) A family restaurant.
(b) A rock and jazz venue.
(c) A retirement home.
(d) A disco club.
8. What does Cesar teach?
(c) The mambo.
(d) The salsa.
9. How does this change affect Cesar?
(a) It is exciting to him.
(b) It breaks his heart.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is unchanged.
10. Where does Cesar play most frequently?
(a) The Tree Restaurant.
(b) The Risoteria Restaurant.
(c) Joe's Pizzeria.
(d) The Mamey Tree Restaurant.
11. What does she do to Cesar?
(a) She leaves him.
(b) She cheats on him.
(c) She pushes him into a chair and restrains him with rope.
(d) She punches him.
12. What is one reason why Mariela does not want to leave Cuba?
(a) She is not involved as an artistic director of a ballet company.
(b) She trusts Fidel Castro.
(c) She does not want to leave her mother.
(d) She does not want to be near her father.
13. Where does Cesar continue to play?
(a) At bars.
(b) At clubs and restaurants.
(c) In the park.
(d) With the symphony.
14. Who does Cesar host at the club?
(a) Famous mambo players.
(b) Young Cuban musicians.
(c) Young Latino musicians.
(d) His old mambo friends.
15. What theme is very clear in this part?
(b) Certainty in celebrity.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1967, from where do Cesar's three remaining brothers escape?
2. For what does Cesar invite his nephew?
3. What does Cesar continue to do through the night?
4. Why can Cesar not stop what is going on at the club?
5. How do Mariela and her mother live comfortably in Cuba?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)