|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Mariela and her mother live comfortably in Cuba?
(a) Mariela is close with Fidel Castro.
(b) Mariela's stepfather makes a six-figure salary.
(c) Mariela's stepfather is an official close to the Castro regime.
(d) Mariela's mother is paid very well for her work.
2. What can Cesar not stop?
(a) Thinking about Maria.
(b) Being thankful his brother died instead of him.
(c) His alcoholic lifestyle.
(d) Begging his daughter to move to America.
3. What does Cesar begin to do?
(a) Consider moving.
(b) Stop drinking.
(c) Say goodbye to the people he has loved.
(d) Save money to buy back the club.
4. What does Cesar do to the forty-year-old woman?
(a) He rapes her.
(b) He kicks her out.
(c) He asks her to sing for him.
(d) He tells her she is too old.
5. In 1967, from where do Cesar's three remaining brothers escape?
6. Why does Celia do this to Cesar?
(a) She wants revenge.
(b) She cannot wait any longer to be married.
(c) She tries to prevent him from going out.
(d) She hates him.
7. What is Cesar's excuse for his actions?
(a) He only likes young women.
(b) It is way past time for her to have enjoyed sex.
(c) He has heard she has a beautiful voice.
(d) He is interested in pretty women.
8. From what is Cesar unable to stop himself?
(c) The inappropriate behavior with Carmen.
(d) Arguing with Don.
9. About what does Cesar continue to reminisce?
(a) People and events in his life.
(b) His life in Cuba.
(c) His daughter.
10. What does Cesar do as Eugenio heads home on the subway?
(a) He cries.
(b) He calls Delores.
(c) He drinks.
(d) He watches him disappear from his life.
11. Why does Cesar remain in New York City?
(a) To relive his life through his friends and memories.
(b) He is afraid to move anywhere else.
(c) He cannot afford to move to Miami.
(d) He has no where else to go.
12. What does Cesar provide for these men?
(a) housing, money and temporary jobs at the club.
(b) Food and a place to stay.
(c) Jobs in the neighborhood.
(d) Room and board.
13. Who does Cesar host at the club?
(a) His old mambo friends.
(b) Famous mambo players.
(c) Young Latino musicians.
(d) Young Cuban musicians.
14. For what does Cesar invite his nephew?
(a) A performance.
(b) Dinner and drinks.
(c) A night out at the clubs.
(d) A mambo lesson.
15. About what does Cesar worry?
(a) Eugenio will miss him.
(b) Eugenio is not successful in his career.
(c) Eugenio has inherited his father's melancholy.
(d) Eugenio is lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Cesar not stop what is going on at the club?
2. Where do the brothers settle?
3. What does Cesar continue to do through the night?
4. Why is it now difficult to make a living in Cuba?
5. What happens to Celia and Cesar's relationship?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)