|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is confined to a wheelchair?
(a) Eugenio Castillo.
(b) Don Emilio.
(c) Cesar Castillo.
(d) Delores Castillo.
2. Why does Cesar begin playing music again after his brother's death?
(a) He misses playing.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) His brothers in Cuba need financial help.
(d) Music is his therapy.
3. How do Mariela and her mother live comfortably in Cuba?
(a) Mariela's stepfather makes a six-figure salary.
(b) Mariela is close with Fidel Castro.
(c) Mariela's mother is paid very well for her work.
(d) Mariela's stepfather is an official close to the Castro regime.
4. Who does Cesar date for awhile?
5. What does Cesar notice about his brothers?
(a) They want to move to New York City.
(b) They are content to become old men.
(c) The are unhappy.
(d) This miss Cuba.
6. How does Cesar known Bernardito Mendelbaum?
(a) He is also from Havana.
(b) He used to be Cesar and Nestor's roommate.
(c) He used to be in the Mambo Kings' band.
(d) He worked with Cesar and Nestor at the meat packing plant.
7. What does Cesar continue to do through the night?
(b) Talk to his dead brother.
(d) Watch television.
8. Who is Cesar's hardest goodbye?
9. Why can Cesar not stop what is going on at the club?
(a) It is too exhausting.
(b) It is no longer his.
(c) He cannot afford a lawyer.
(d) He does not care enough about it.
10. About what does Cesar continue to reminisce?
(a) People and events in his life.
(b) His life in Cuba.
(d) His daughter.
11. Why is Celia frustrated with Cesar?
(a) He will not listen to her.
(b) He is abusive.
(c) He continues to refuse her.
(d) He is unkind.
12. What about the woman next door catches Cesar's attention?
(a) She has a strange accent.
(b) He is struck by her beauty.
(c) She is very tall.
(d) She is unusual.
13. Who does Cesar host at the club?
(a) Young Latino musicians.
(b) Young Cuban musicians.
(c) His old mambo friends.
(d) Famous mambo players.
14. From what is Cesar unable to stop himself?
(a) The inappropriate behavior with Carmen.
(c) Arguing with Don.
15. What does Cesar want for Mariela?
(a) To stay in Cuba.
(b) To live with him.
(c) To find a more stable career.
(d) To be released from the strict regime of the revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Cesar hospitalized?
2. What does Cesar begin to do?
3. What does Cesar do as Eugenio heads home on the subway?
4. What theme is very clear in this part?
5. Where does Cesar continue to play?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)