|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
(a) An abusive father.
(b) A civil war.
(c) The rise of the new dictatorship.
2. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
(a) Maria Suarez.
(b) Luisa Garcia.
(c) Erika Sanchez.
(d) Delores Fuentes.
3. How does Nestor feel about his celebrity?
(a) He loves it but misses his family.
(b) He is plagued by depression.
(c) He basks in it.
(d) He enjoys it.
4. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He is more wild than Cesar.
(b) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
(c) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
(d) He beds as many women as possible.
5. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
(a) Desi Arnaz and his wife, Lucille Ball.
(b) Benny More.
(c) The owner of the club.
(d) Perez Prado and Tito Puente.
6. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
(b) He forgets about Delores and his children.
(c) He falls in love with another woman.
(d) He writes to Maria.
7. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(a) Go out dancing.
(b) Read books.
(c) Go to night school.
8. How does Cesar try to help his brother?
(a) He takes him for massages and herbal cleansings.
(b) He takes him to a therapist.
(c) He gives him money.
(d) He has him put on anti-anxiety medication.
9. When does Nestor first meet Maria?
(a) In a coffee shop.
(b) In school.
(c) When she and another man are fighting.
(d) At a Cuban club.
10. Why does Delores's father leave Cuba and his wife?
(a) He seeks joy in his life.
(b) He tries to make a better life for his family.
(c) He wants to be in America so desperately.
(d) He earns money to send back to his wife.
11. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
(a) Chicago clubs.
(b) Los Angeles clubs.
(c) New York City clubs.
(d) Miami clubs.
12. What does Delores prepare for the guests?
(a) Huge plates of Cuban food.
(b) A place to stay the night.
(c) An all-American meal.
(d) A performance.
13. What does Pablo say makes a man happy?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) Love and family.
(c) Money and power.
(d) Friends and fans.
14. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(a) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
(c) Leaving Cuba.
(d) Their love to end.
15. What job do Cesar and Nestor have during the day?
(a) They run a family restaurant.
(b) They play in a band.
(c) They sell cars.
(d) They work in a meat packing plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Delores's father do every night?
2. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
3. By what is Cesar plagued?
4. What happens to Nestor because of this?
5. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)