|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
(a) In memory of his brother.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) Out of love for the music.
(d) Out of habit.
2. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
(a) To record several songs.
(b) Swim in the Pacific.
(c) Relax in California's wine country.
(d) To bed as many women as he can.
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) The Mambo King.
(b) A cooking sensation.
(c) The Salsa Tsar.
(d) A Cuban warlord.
4. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(a) Go to night school.
(b) Go out dancing.
(d) Read books.
5. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In a director's chair.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the Hotel Splendour.
6. Why are they in this city?
(a) They have been deported.
(b) To perform in the House of Blues.
(c) To appear on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(d) To play for a huge British following.
7. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(b) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
(c) Leaving Cuba.
(d) Their love to end.
8. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
(a) The owner of the club.
(b) Desi Arnaz and his wife, Lucille Ball.
(c) Perez Prado and Tito Puente.
(d) Benny More.
9. Who pays for Cesar and Nestor while they are in town?
(a) The studio.
(b) Their bandmates.
(c) Their managers.
10. What does Pablo say makes a man happy?
(a) Money and power.
(b) Fame and fortune.
(c) Love and family.
(d) Friends and fans.
11. Who are Cesar and Nestor Castillo?
(a) Two brothers who leave America for Costa Rica.
(b) Two brothers who come to America from Cuba.
(c) Two cousins living in Puerto Rico.
(d) Two cousins who come to America from Haiti.
12. With whom is Nestor standing in all their youthful prowess?
(a) Desi Arnaz.
(b) Lucille Ball.
(c) Anita Lopez.
(d) Cesar Chavez.
13. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He is more wild than Cesar.
(b) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
(c) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
(d) He beds as many women as possible.
14. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
(a) Their performances at New York City night clubs.
(b) A performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
(c) A performance for the President of the United States.
(d) Their appearance on the "I Love Lucy" show.
15. Why does he stray from her?
(a) His Latin masculinity, claiming infidelity is the right of the Cuban man.
(b) He loves another woman, named Maria.
(c) He no longer loves her.
(d) She has betrayed him, and he wants to get revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor hope a family life will do?
2. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
3. How does Cesar try to help his brother?
4. Where do Cesar and Nestor find themselves few months later?
5. By what is Cesar plagued?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)