|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who eventually joins Delores and her father?
(a) Her sister, Ana Maria.
(b) Her cousin, Lucas.
(c) Her brother, Marco.
(d) Her mother, Gabriela.
2. Why does Delores's father leave Cuba and his wife?
(a) He seeks joy in his life.
(b) He earns money to send back to his wife.
(c) He wants to be in America so desperately.
(d) He tries to make a better life for his family.
3. What happens to Nestor because of this?
(a) He has to call a tow truck.
(b) He has no car.
(c) He is seriously injured.
(d) He dies.
4. What happens to Delores and Nestor?
(a) They become inseperable.
(b) They begin to argue.
(c) They realize they can only be friends.
(d) They get lost in New York City.
5. What does Delores's father do every night?
(a) Goes to work as a janitor.
(b) Reads from his favorite book.
(c) Calls her mother.
(d) Goes to the Cuban clubs.
6. To where does Nestor invite the girl?
(a) His home.
(b) The park.
(c) The Imperial Ballroom.
(d) A movie.
7. To where does Maria move?
(a) The other side of Cuba to escape Nestor.
(c) A little house with the man who had been beating her up on the night Nestor came to her rescue.
(d) Back to her family's home, away from Nestor.
8. What does Cesar do to Delores?
(a) He finds her a job with the band.
(b) He abuses her.
(c) He leaves her.
(d) He makes a pass at her.
9. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) He forgets about Delores and his children.
(b) He falls in love with another woman.
(c) He writes to Maria.
(d) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
10. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
(b) He beds as many women as possible.
(c) He is more wild than Cesar.
(d) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
11. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(a) Their love to end.
(b) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
(d) Leaving Cuba.
12. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) A cooking sensation.
(b) A Cuban warlord.
(c) The Salsa Tsar.
(d) The Mambo King.
13. How is their performance?
14. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
(a) A harsh government.
(b) The harsh realities of life in New York City.
(c) Being deported back to Havana.
(d) The trouble of getting to America.
15. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) Her picture.
(b) The sheet music for her song.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A bottle of her perfume.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
2. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
3. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
4. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
5. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)