|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is realized over drinks?
(a) Desi Arnaz is from the same area as the Castillo brothers.
(b) The owner of the club does not want them to return.
(c) Benny More plays on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(d) Perez Prado and Tito Puente both played with Julian.
2. What do the Castillos do?
(a) Perform a song that made them popular.
(b) Audition for Broadway.
(c) Buy a pizzeria.
(d) Work in a factory.
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) A Cuban warlord.
(b) The Salsa Tsar.
(c) A cooking sensation.
(d) The Mambo King.
4. Where does the story begin?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York City.
(d) Buenos Aires.
5. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) The desire to gamble.
(b) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(c) Heart trouble.
(d) Bouts of depression.
6. What question does Maria continually evade?
(a) Whether or not she loves Nestor.
(b) If she wants to date Nestor.
(c) If she will move to the United States.
(d) Nestor's marriage proposal.
7. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He is more wild than Cesar.
(b) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
(c) He beds as many women as possible.
(d) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
8. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In a director's chair.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the Hotel Splendour.
9. Who are Cesar and Nestor Castillo?
(a) Two cousins living in Puerto Rico.
(b) Two brothers who come to America from Cuba.
(c) Two brothers who leave America for Costa Rica.
(d) Two cousins who come to America from Haiti.
10. To where does Nestor invite the girl?
(a) The park.
(b) His home.
(c) The Imperial Ballroom.
(d) A movie.
11. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(a) Leaving Cuba.
(c) Their love to end.
(d) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
12. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) Her picture.
(b) The sheet music for her song.
(c) A bottle of her perfume.
(d) A lock of her hair.
13. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
(a) Being deported back to Havana.
(b) The trouble of getting to America.
(c) The harsh realities of life in New York City.
(d) A harsh government.
14. How does Delores feel about the celebrities in her home?
(a) Nervous and agitated.
(b) Shy and quiet.
(c) Annoyed and displeased.
(d) Pleased and surprised.
15. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
(a) His desire to go home to Cuba.
(b) Thoughts of Maria.
(c) A new song he has written.
(d) Thoughts of Delores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
2. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
3. What happens to Delores and Nestor?
4. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
5. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)