|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are they in this city?
(a) To perform in the House of Blues.
(b) They have been deported.
(c) To play for a huge British following.
(d) To appear on the "I Love Lucy" show.
2. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) Bouts of depression.
(b) The desire to gamble.
(c) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(d) Heart trouble.
3. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) A cooking sensation.
(b) A Cuban warlord.
(c) The Salsa Tsar.
(d) The Mambo King.
4. What is Cesar's intention?
(a) To watch people play on the beach.
(b) To direct a new movie.
(c) To make dinner.
(d) To drink himself to death.
5. Why is Nestor impressed by this girl?
(a) She looks very wealthy.
(b) She intelligent, although not very beautiful.
(c) She is also from Havana.
(d) She is intelligent and beautiful.
6. What does Delores's father do every night?
(a) Reads from his favorite book.
(b) Goes to work as a janitor.
(c) Calls her mother.
(d) Goes to the Cuban clubs.
7. How does Cesar feel about his celebrity?
(a) He worries about losing it.
(b) He is ashamed of it.
(c) He is unsure about it.
(d) He basks in it.
8. What does Cesar do to Delores?
(a) He abuses her.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He makes a pass at her.
(d) He finds her a job with the band.
9. Who pays for Cesar and Nestor while they are in town?
(a) Their managers.
(c) Their bandmates.
(d) The studio.
10. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(b) Read books.
(c) Go to night school.
(d) Go out dancing.
11. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
(a) Benny More.
(b) Perez Prado and Tito Puente.
(c) The owner of the club.
(d) Desi Arnaz and his wife, Lucille Ball.
12. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
(b) He beds as many women as possible.
(c) He is more wild than Cesar.
(d) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
13. Why does he stray from her?
(a) He loves another woman, named Maria.
(b) She has betrayed him, and he wants to get revenge.
(c) He no longer loves her.
(d) His Latin masculinity, claiming infidelity is the right of the Cuban man.
14. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
(a) Out of habit.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) Out of love for the music.
(d) In memory of his brother.
15. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
(a) Their performances at New York City night clubs.
(b) Their appearance on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) A performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
(d) A performance for the President of the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
2. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
3. What is realized over drinks?
4. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
5. What job do Cesar and Nestor have during the day?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)