|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) Her picture.
(c) The sheet music for her song.
(d) A bottle of her perfume.
2. What job do Cesar and Nestor have during the day?
(a) They run a family restaurant.
(b) They play in a band.
(c) They work in a meat packing plant.
(d) They sell cars.
3. How is their performance?
4. How does Cesar feel about his celebrity?
(a) He worries about losing it.
(b) He is ashamed of it.
(c) He basks in it.
(d) He is unsure about it.
5. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
(a) Los Angeles clubs.
(b) Chicago clubs.
(c) New York City clubs.
(d) Miami clubs.
6. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(b) Go to night school.
(c) Go out dancing.
(d) Read books.
7. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
(a) He becomes her tutor.
(b) He teaches her how to dance.
(c) He buys her a meal.
(d) He intervenes during the fight.
8. What is the most important aspect of being in Julian's band, according to Cesar?
(a) The sense of family.
(b) The fame acquired.
(c) The money earned.
(d) The girls.
9. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
(a) Abuse Maria, so she will know who is in charge.
(b) Bring her gifts and send her flowers.
(c) Keep asking her to marry him.
(d) Give up on Maria, because she does not want to marry Nestor.
10. How does Nestor feel about the New York City nightlife?
(a) It is the path to fortune.
(b) It is the only lifestyle he can imagine.
(c) He loves it.
(d) It does not really appeal to him.
11. Where does the story begin?
(a) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Buenos Aires.
12. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
(a) He sends her a letter.
(b) He calls her on the telephone.
(c) He looks for her everywhere.
(d) He writes a song.
13. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) The Mambo King.
(b) A Cuban warlord.
(c) The Salsa Tsar.
(d) A cooking sensation.
14. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
(b) He falls in love with another woman.
(c) He forgets about Delores and his children.
(d) He writes to Maria.
15. Why does Nestor marry Delores?
(a) She is his best friend.
(b) He loves her more than he loved Maria.
(c) Out of duty.
(d) Out of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
2. Why does he stray from her?
3. Who does Cesar marry?
4. How does Delores feel about the celebrities in her home?
5. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)