|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he stray from her?
(a) He no longer loves her.
(b) His Latin masculinity, claiming infidelity is the right of the Cuban man.
(c) She has betrayed him, and he wants to get revenge.
(d) He loves another woman, named Maria.
2. Where does the story begin?
(a) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Buenos Aires.
3. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) He forgets about Delores and his children.
(b) He falls in love with another woman.
(c) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
(d) He writes to Maria.
4. To where does Maria move?
(b) A little house with the man who had been beating her up on the night Nestor came to her rescue.
(c) Back to her family's home, away from Nestor.
(d) The other side of Cuba to escape Nestor.
5. What happens to Nestor because of this?
(a) He is seriously injured.
(b) He has no car.
(c) He dies.
(d) He has to call a tow truck.
6. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
(a) He calls her on the telephone.
(b) He writes a song.
(c) He sends her a letter.
(d) He looks for her everywhere.
7. What happens to the DeSoto?
(a) It hits a patch of ice and hits a tree.
(b) It is stolen in New Jersey.
(c) The breaks lock, and it hits a telephone pole.
(d) It breaks down in the middle of Pennsylvania.
8. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
(a) The trouble of getting to America.
(b) A harsh government.
(c) Being deported back to Havana.
(d) The harsh realities of life in New York City.
9. Of what is there no hope for Nestor and Maria?
(a) Leaving Cuba.
(b) Their love to end.
(c) Distance to keep them from wanting to be together.
10. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In the Hotel Splendour.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In a director's chair.
11. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
(a) The Mambo King.
(b) A Cuban warlord.
(c) The Salsa Tsar.
(d) A cooking sensation.
12. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
(a) Their performances at New York City night clubs.
(b) Their appearance on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) A performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
(d) A performance for the President of the United States.
13. Why are they in this city?
(a) They have been deported.
(b) To appear on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) To play for a huge British following.
(d) To perform in the House of Blues.
14. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
(a) In memory of his brother.
(b) Out of love for the music.
(c) He needs the money.
(d) Out of habit.
15. Why does Cesar's wife finally leave him?
(a) He has other girlfriends.
(b) He is abusive to her and their daughter.
(c) He invites a girlfriend home.
(d) One of his girlfriends is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
2. Who does Cesar marry?
3. What question does Maria continually evade?
4. How does Nestor feel about the New York City nightlife?
5. What does Delores's father do every night?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)