|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Maria continually evade?
(a) If she wants to date Nestor.
(b) Nestor's marriage proposal.
(c) If she will move to the United States.
(d) Whether or not she loves Nestor.
2. Who are Cesar and Nestor Castillo?
(a) Two cousins who come to America from Haiti.
(b) Two brothers who come to America from Cuba.
(c) Two brothers who leave America for Costa Rica.
(d) Two cousins living in Puerto Rico.
3. What happens to Delores and Nestor?
(a) They become inseperable.
(b) They begin to argue.
(c) They realize they can only be friends.
(d) They get lost in New York City.
4. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) The sheet music for her song.
(b) Her picture.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A bottle of her perfume.
5. Who greets the Mambo Kings at the Mambo Nine Club?
(a) Benny More.
(b) The owner of the club.
(c) Desi Arnaz and his wife, Lucille Ball.
(d) Perez Prado and Tito Puente.
6. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
(a) Go to night school.
(b) Go out dancing.
(c) Read books.
7. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
(a) A performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
(b) Their appearance on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) Their performances at New York City night clubs.
(d) A performance for the President of the United States.
8. How does Cesar try to help his brother?
(a) He gives him money.
(b) He takes him for massages and herbal cleansings.
(c) He takes him to a therapist.
(d) He has him put on anti-anxiety medication.
9. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) Bouts of depression.
(b) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(c) The desire to gamble.
(d) Heart trouble.
10. How does Delores feel about the celebrities in her home?
(a) Nervous and agitated.
(b) Pleased and surprised.
(c) Shy and quiet.
(d) Annoyed and displeased.
11. What does Pablo say makes a man happy?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(b) Love and family.
(c) Money and power.
(d) Friends and fans.
12. Who eventually joins Delores and her father?
(a) Her mother, Gabriela.
(b) Her brother, Marco.
(c) Her sister, Ana Maria.
(d) Her cousin, Lucas.
13. What does Cesar do soon after returning from Cuba?
(a) He becomes a maintanence man.
(b) He joins the Merchant Marines.
(c) He returns to the Mambo Kings.
(d) He buys an icecream stand.
14. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
(a) New York City clubs.
(b) Los Angeles clubs.
(c) Miami clubs.
(d) Chicago clubs.
15. What is realized over drinks?
(a) Perez Prado and Tito Puente both played with Julian.
(b) Benny More plays on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) The owner of the club does not want them to return.
(d) Desi Arnaz is from the same area as the Castillo brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cesar marry?
2. How many times does Nestor "Beautiful Maria of My Soul?"
3. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
4. Where do Cesar and Nestor find themselves few months later?
5. Why does Cesar's wife finally leave him?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)