|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
(a) Swim in the Pacific.
(b) To bed as many women as he can.
(c) To record several songs.
(d) Relax in California's wine country.
2. What is Cesar's intention?
(a) To direct a new movie.
(b) To make dinner.
(c) To watch people play on the beach.
(d) To drink himself to death.
3. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) Bouts of depression.
(b) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(c) Heart trouble.
(d) The desire to gamble.
4. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) In a director's chair.
(b) In his kitchen.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the Hotel Splendour.
5. Who pays for Cesar and Nestor while they are in town?
(a) Their bandmates.
(b) The studio.
(c) Their managers.
6. Who eventually joins Delores and her father?
(a) Her cousin, Lucas.
(b) Her mother, Gabriela.
(c) Her brother, Marco.
(d) Her sister, Ana Maria.
7. What happens to the DeSoto?
(a) It is stolen in New Jersey.
(b) It breaks down in the middle of Pennsylvania.
(c) It hits a patch of ice and hits a tree.
(d) The breaks lock, and it hits a telephone pole.
8. What do the other band members suggest to Cesar?
(a) He quit the band.
(b) He take a vacation.
(c) He find more engagements for the band.
(d) He move back to Cuba.
9. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
(a) He needs the money.
(b) In memory of his brother.
(c) Out of habit.
(d) Out of love for the music.
10. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) A bottle of her perfume.
(b) Her picture.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) The sheet music for her song.
11. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
(a) Los Angeles clubs.
(b) Miami clubs.
(c) Chicago clubs.
(d) New York City clubs.
12. What do Cesar and Nestor escape in 1949?
(b) A civil war.
(c) The rise of the new dictatorship.
(d) An abusive father.
13. What job do Cesar and Nestor have during the day?
(a) They work in a meat packing plant.
(b) They sell cars.
(c) They run a family restaurant.
(d) They play in a band.
14. Who does Cesar marry?
15. Why does Delores's father leave Cuba and his wife?
(a) He wants to be in America so desperately.
(b) He seeks joy in his life.
(c) He earns money to send back to his wife.
(d) He tries to make a better life for his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor do to help Maria?
2. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
3. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
4. What does Delores prepare for the guests?
5. Where does the story begin?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)