|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Nestor not get out of his head?
(a) His desire to go home to Cuba.
(b) Thoughts of Maria.
(c) Thoughts of Delores.
(d) A new song he has written.
2. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
(a) A performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.
(b) Their appearance on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(c) Their performances at New York City night clubs.
(d) A performance for the President of the United States.
3. How many times does Nestor "Beautiful Maria of My Soul?"
(d) Four hundred.
4. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the Hotel Splendour.
(c) In a director's chair.
(d) In his kitchen.
5. What does Cesar do to Delores?
(a) He finds her a job with the band.
(b) He makes a pass at her.
(c) He leaves her.
(d) He abuses her.
6. Why does Cesar keep the Mambo Kings together?
(a) Out of habit.
(b) Out of love for the music.
(c) In memory of his brother.
(d) He needs the money.
7. How does Nestor act in California?
(a) He is more wild than Cesar.
(b) He beds as many women as possible.
(c) He stays in the hotel room the entire time.
(d) He does not stray from his marriage vows, due to a sense of duty to Delores.
8. What does Nestor hope a family life will do?
(a) Make him feel more at home in New York City.
(b) Erase any traces of Maria from his mind.
(c) Help him settle down.
(d) Bring him more honor.
9. By what is Cesar plagued?
(a) Heart trouble.
(b) Melancholy in the loss of his daughter, who lives with her mother in Havana.
(c) The desire to gamble.
(d) Bouts of depression.
10. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) A bottle of her perfume.
(b) Her picture.
(c) The sheet music for her song.
(d) A lock of her hair.
11. Where does the story begin?
(b) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Buenos Aires.
12. What kind of advice does Cesar give Nestor?
(a) Abuse Maria, so she will know who is in charge.
(b) Keep asking her to marry him.
(c) Bring her gifts and send her flowers.
(d) Give up on Maria, because she does not want to marry Nestor.
13. What do the other band members suggest to Cesar?
(a) He quit the band.
(b) He take a vacation.
(c) He find more engagements for the band.
(d) He move back to Cuba.
14. To where does Nestor invite the girl?
(a) The Imperial Ballroom.
(b) A movie.
(c) His home.
(d) The park.
15. Why does Delores's father leave Cuba and his wife?
(a) He seeks joy in his life.
(b) He wants to be in America so desperately.
(c) He tries to make a better life for his family.
(d) He earns money to send back to his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Delores and Nestor?
2. When does Nestor first meet Maria?
3. Where do Cesar and Nestor find themselves few months later?
4. Where are the Mambo Kings hugely popular?
5. Who are Cesar and Nestor Castillo?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)