|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are the Castillos unprepared after leaving Havana?
(a) Being deported back to Havana.
(b) The trouble of getting to America.
(c) The harsh realities of life in New York City.
(d) A harsh government.
2. To where does Nestor invite the girl?
(a) The Imperial Ballroom.
(b) A movie.
(c) The park.
(d) His home.
3. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) Her picture.
(b) The sheet music for her song.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A bottle of her perfume.
4. What happens to the DeSoto?
(a) The breaks lock, and it hits a telephone pole.
(b) It is stolen in New Jersey.
(c) It hits a patch of ice and hits a tree.
(d) It breaks down in the middle of Pennsylvania.
5. What do the other band members suggest to Cesar?
(a) He find more engagements for the band.
(b) He move back to Cuba.
(c) He quit the band.
(d) He take a vacation.
6. What does Delores's father do every night?
(a) Goes to work as a janitor.
(b) Reads from his favorite book.
(c) Goes to the Cuban clubs.
(d) Calls her mother.
7. What does Pablo say makes a man happy?
(a) Money and power.
(b) Love and family.
(c) Friends and fans.
(d) Fame and fortune.
8. Who is waiting for the same bus as Nestor?
(a) Maria Suarez.
(b) Luisa Garcia.
(c) Delores Fuentes.
(d) Erika Sanchez.
9. Where do Cesar and Nestor find themselves few months later?
(d) Los Angeles.
10. What is the most important aspect of being in Julian's band, according to Cesar?
(a) The sense of family.
(b) The fame acquired.
(c) The money earned.
(d) The girls.
11. What happens to Nestor because of this?
(a) He has to call a tow truck.
(b) He is seriously injured.
(c) He has no car.
(d) He dies.
12. What is realized over drinks?
(a) Benny More plays on the "I Love Lucy" show.
(b) The owner of the club does not want them to return.
(c) Desi Arnaz is from the same area as the Castillo brothers.
(d) Perez Prado and Tito Puente both played with Julian.
13. How many times does Nestor "Beautiful Maria of My Soul?"
(c) Four hundred.
14. Why is Nestor impressed by this girl?
(a) She looks very wealthy.
(b) She is also from Havana.
(c) She is intelligent and beautiful.
(d) She intelligent, although not very beautiful.
15. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) He falls in love with another woman.
(b) He writes to Maria.
(c) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
(d) He forgets about Delores and his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor do for a girl he once love?
2. How is Cesar known, first in Julian's band?
3. Why does he stray from her?
4. How does Nestor feel about the New York City nightlife?
5. How does Nestor feel about his celebrity?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)