|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Nestor "Beautiful Maria of My Soul?"
(a) Four hundred.
2. What happens to Delores and Nestor?
(a) They realize they can only be friends.
(b) They become inseperable.
(c) They begin to argue.
(d) They get lost in New York City.
3. How does Nestor feel about the New York City nightlife?
(a) He loves it.
(b) It does not really appeal to him.
(c) It is the path to fortune.
(d) It is the only lifestyle he can imagine.
4. Where is Cesar sitting as the story switches perspective?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In the Hotel Splendour.
(c) In a director's chair.
(d) On the beach.
5. What does Cesar do for his daughter?
(a) He does not do much, because he is so busy.
(b) He sends money to her mother, so she may attend the best schools.
(c) He sends cards and gifts regularly and flies to Havana to see her.
(d) He sends her to presitigious American boarding schools.
6. What does Nestor carry with him always as a reminder of Maria?
(a) A bottle of her perfume.
(b) The sheet music for her song.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) Her picture.
7. Why does Nestor marry Delores?
(a) Out of love.
(b) He loves her more than he loved Maria.
(c) Out of duty.
(d) She is his best friend.
8. What is Cesar's intention?
(a) To drink himself to death.
(b) To direct a new movie.
(c) To watch people play on the beach.
(d) To make dinner.
9. What does Delores's father do every night?
(a) Reads from his favorite book.
(b) Calls her mother.
(c) Goes to the Cuban clubs.
(d) Goes to work as a janitor.
10. What opportunity does Cesar take while in California?
(a) Relax in California's wine country.
(b) To bed as many women as he can.
(c) Swim in the Pacific.
(d) To record several songs.
11. What does Nestor do as he travels around the country?
(a) Diligently sends letters and gifts to his family.
(b) He writes to Maria.
(c) He forgets about Delores and his children.
(d) He falls in love with another woman.
12. What does Cesar do to Delores?
(a) He makes a pass at her.
(b) He leaves her.
(c) He finds her a job with the band.
(d) He abuses her.
13. Why does he stray from her?
(a) She has betrayed him, and he wants to get revenge.
(b) He no longer loves her.
(c) His Latin masculinity, claiming infidelity is the right of the Cuban man.
(d) He loves another woman, named Maria.
14. With whom is Nestor standing in all their youthful prowess?
(a) Lucille Ball.
(b) Anita Lopez.
(c) Cesar Chavez.
(d) Desi Arnaz.
15. To where does Nestor invite the girl?
(a) The Imperial Ballroom.
(b) His home.
(c) The park.
(d) A movie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grants Cesar and Nestor instant fame?
2. What does Delores usually do in the evenings?
3. What happens to Nestor because of this?
4. Who does Cesar marry?
5. How does Nestor act in California?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)