|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Schiller leave the store for one hour every day?
2. Where does Katrin put the empty boxes?
3. What is Katrin's favorite candy?
4. What did Mama ask the other children after Dagmar went to bed?
5. What school is Katrin going to for her "High" education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
2. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
3. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
4. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
5. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
6. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
7. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
8. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
9. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
10. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)