|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is wearing plasterer's overalls?
2. Why does Cora say her and Nels can not join the family for dinner?
3. What does Aunt Marta and Uncle Ole bring the children while Papa is at the hospital?
4. Where does Katrin put the empty boxes?
5. Who disapproves of Katrin working at her new place of employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
2. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
3. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
4. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
5. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
6. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
7. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
8. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
9. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
10. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 3
How are Katrin's school friends similar to the aunts? What changes do each group go through during the novel to make them good and/or evil?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)