|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Papa in the kitchen before Dr. Johnson comes over?
2. What does Cora call Nels?
3. What area of study does Nels focus on?
4. Why does Cora not want Nels to become a doctor?
5. Which aunt has gossip about their old Aunt Elna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
2. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
3. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
4. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
5. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
6. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
7. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
8. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
9. Why does Mama go flying?
10. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a common theme throughout the novel of anything being possible when it comes to family. Mama often says "is good" or "all is good." What does she mean by this statement, and why is it repeated throughout the book? Describe two or three instances when a family member shows that he or she will do anything to protect or show love for another family member.
Essay Topic 2
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)