|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama try to do to the cat?
2. What type of cookies does Aunt Elna love to make?
3. How long does Katrin have to work before getting a salary?
4. Which person is not a boarder at the Steiner Street house?
5. What does Cora call Nels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
2. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
3. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
4. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
5. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
6. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
7. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
8. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
9. Why does Mama go flying?
10. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 2
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)