|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the first names of the two new renters in Chapter 10?
2. Which child wants to become a nurse?
3. What happens to Papa at the City Hall job?
4. What does Peder return with after one week in Oslo?
5. What is the chosen career path for Katrin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
2. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
3. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
4. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
5. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
6. Why does Mama go flying?
7. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
8. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
9. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
10. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
Essay Topic 2
There is a common theme throughout the novel of anything being possible when it comes to family. Mama often says "is good" or "all is good." What does she mean by this statement, and why is it repeated throughout the book? Describe two or three instances when a family member shows that he or she will do anything to protect or show love for another family member.
Essay Topic 3
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)