|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game is Mrs. Martin planning to play?
2. Who does Aunt Elna end up moving in with?
3. What does Aunt Jenny bring Mama when she comes home from the hospital?
4. Why does Cora not want Nels to become a doctor?
5. How many Children does Mama have at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
2. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
3. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
4. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
5. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
6. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
7. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
8. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
9. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
10. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)