|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Mama goes to see about the surgery keep complaining about while Mama is with her?
2. What is Mr. Kenmore's Sunday hobby?
3. What does Mama promise to the woman to cover the $75 she is short for the surgery?
4. Why does Cora say her and Nels can not join the family for dinner?
5. How is Mama able to come up with money to pay for the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
2. Why does Christine come back to San Francisco to have her baby?
3. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
4. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
5. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
6. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
7. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
8. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
9. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
10. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)