|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these was not something the cat is suffering from?
2. What does Peder return with after one week in Oslo?
3. Which two men are doctors?
4. Which person is not a boarder at the Steiner Street house?
5. What does Mama promise to the woman to cover the $75 she is short for the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
2. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
3. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
4. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
5. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
6. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
7. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
8. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
9. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
10. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an old saying "hindsight is 20/20" meaning that looking back, people can always see clearly and probably avoid many mistakes in life. Discuss two or three instances from the novel where a character could have changed his or her actions if he or she would have seen the outcome beforehand, and explain how the actions would have changed and why.
Essay Topic 2
There is a common theme throughout the novel of anything being possible when it comes to family. Mama often says "is good" or "all is good." What does she mean by this statement, and why is it repeated throughout the book? Describe two or three instances when a family member shows that he or she will do anything to protect or show love for another family member.
Essay Topic 3
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)