|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mama buy Christine a plaid dress?
2. What does Mama do with Christine's hospital food?
3. What are the first names of the two new renters in Chapter 10?
4. Which family member has never been admitted into a hospital?
5. What is Katrin's favorite candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
2. Why does Christine come back to San Francisco to have her baby?
3. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
4. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
5. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
6. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
7. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
8. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
9. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
10. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
Essay Topic 1
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 3
The style of the book is unique in that the author chose to tell multiple stories all relating to Mama. How does this style help or hurt the story? Give specific examples from the book. Was this the best style to use to write this book? Why or why not?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)