|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person is not a boarder at the Steiner Street house?
2. What kind of candy does Mr. Grady bring the women every week?
3. Why is Katrin fired from her job?
4. In Chapter 9, what part of Papa is hurting him?
5. Who does Elizabeth belong too?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
2. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
3. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
4. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
5. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
6. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
7. Why does Mama go flying?
8. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
9. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
10. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
Essay Topic 2
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
Essay Topic 3
There is an old saying "hindsight is 20/20" meaning that looking back, people can always see clearly and probably avoid many mistakes in life. Discuss two or three instances from the novel where a character could have changed his or her actions if he or she would have seen the outcome beforehand, and explain how the actions would have changed and why.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)