|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school is Katrin going to for her "High" education?
2. Who does Elizabeth belong too?
3. What happens to Uncle Elizabeth in the end of Chapter 13?
4. Who was Aunt Elna betrothed to?
5. Who marries Miss Durant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
2. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
3. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
4. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
5. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
6. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
7. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
8. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
9. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
10. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a common theme throughout the novel of anything being possible when it comes to family. Mama often says "is good" or "all is good." What does she mean by this statement, and why is it repeated throughout the book? Describe two or three instances when a family member shows that he or she will do anything to protect or show love for another family member.
Essay Topic 2
The style of the book is unique in that the author chose to tell multiple stories all relating to Mama. How does this style help or hurt the story? Give specific examples from the book. Was this the best style to use to write this book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)