|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member has never been admitted into a hospital?
2. In Chapter 9, what part of Papa is hurting him?
3. Which person is not a boarder at the Steiner Street house?
4. What did Mama recall stealing from Aunt Jenny as a young woman?
5. What does Peder return with after one week in Oslo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
2. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
3. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
4. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
5. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
6. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
7. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
8. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
9. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
10. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
Essay Topic 1
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
Essay Topic 2
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)