|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disapproves of Katrin working at her new place of employment?
2. How many Children does Mama have at the end of the book?
3. Which of the children sees Papa before the surgery?
4. What is the name of the hospital Papa is at?
5. What happens to Papa in the kitchen before Dr. Johnson comes over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
2. Why does Mama go flying?
3. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
4. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
5. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
6. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
7. Why does Christine come back to San Francisco to have her baby?
8. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
9. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
10. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)