|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school club does Christine lead?
2. What sense is Aunt Elna missing?
3. Which child wants to become a nurse?
4. What did Mama recall stealing from Aunt Jenny as a young woman?
5. What type of cookies does Aunt Elna love to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
2. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
3. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
4. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
5. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
6. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
7. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
8. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
9. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
10. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Katrin's school friends similar to the aunts? What changes do each group go through during the novel to make them good and/or evil?
Essay Topic 2
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)