|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of study does Nels focus on?
2. Where does Katrin plan to work over her vacation?
3. Which of the children sees Papa before the surgery?
4. What are the first names of the two new renters in Chapter 10?
5. What kind of candy does Mr. Grady bring the women every week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
2. Why does Mama go flying?
3. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
4. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
5. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
6. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
7. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
8. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
9. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
10. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Is Katrin a good girl or a bad girl? What types of things does she do throughout the book to make her good or bad?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)