|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama try to do to the cat?
2. What happens to Uncle Elizabeth in the end of Chapter 13?
3. What gift does Katrin end up getting from the family for her graduation?
4. Who does Mama have see to pay for the surgery?
5. Why is Mama happy at the end of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
2. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
3. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
4. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
5. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
6. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
7. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
8. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
9. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
10. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)