|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of candy does Mr. Grady bring the women every week?
2. Who drops out of school to work at a five-and-dime?
3. Who does Aunt Elna end up moving in with?
4. Which family member has never been admitted into a hospital?
5. Which aunt is having trouble keeping boarders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine come back to San Francisco to have her baby?
2. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
3. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
4. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
5. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
6. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
7. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
8. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
9. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
10. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 3
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)