|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christine leave her weekly wages?
2. Who does Mama have see to pay for the surgery?
3. How is Mama able to come up with money to pay for the surgery?
4. What school club does Christine lead?
5. Who is the carpenter Mama promises will do the work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
2. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
3. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
4. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
5. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
6. Why does Mama go flying?
7. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
8. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
9. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
10. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)