|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mama able to come up with money to pay for the surgery?
2. What is the name of the hospital Papa is at?
3. Where does Christine leave her weekly wages?
4. Who does Mama have see to pay for the surgery?
5. Who does Elizabeth belong too?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
2. How does Mama barter with Mrs. Beauchamp to pay for the surgery?
3. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
4. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
5. Why does Mama go flying?
6. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
7. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
8. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
9. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
10. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
Essay Topic 2
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 3
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)