|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Christine found a job?
2. Which child is honored with a medal for outstanding achievement?
3. Why does Mama buy Christine a plaid dress?
4. Which family member has never been admitted into a hospital?
5. What is Mama's request before choosing a hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
2. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
3. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
4. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
5. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
6. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
7. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
8. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
9. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
10. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)