|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I promise you your husban'--he will be alright."
2. What happens to Papa at the City Hall job?
3. Which aunt is having trouble keeping boarders?
4. How long does Katrin have to work before getting a salary?
5. How much cash does Mama pay for the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
2. How are the boarders "part of the family"?
3. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
4. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
5. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
6. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
7. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
8. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
9. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
10. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christine and Katrin, although sisters, are very different girls. Provide three similarities and differences in the characters, and determine which one you would rather be like, and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
Essay Topic 3
Education plays an important role throughout the book. Mama values education and wants the best for her children. Why is education so important to Mama and do the children feel the same way about education? How do Mama and Papa show the reader how much they value education? Provide examples.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)