|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Papa at the City Hall job?
2. Who is the carpenter Mama promises will do the work?
3. What is the name of the specialist who is going to perform Papa's surgery?
4. Why does the family not serve food to the boarders on Sundays?
5. What did Mama recall stealing from Aunt Jenny as a young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine come back to San Francisco to have her baby?
2. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
3. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
4. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
5. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
6. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
7. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
8. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
9. What makes Uncle Elizabeth such an odd cat?
10. What does Katrin enjoy her job at the drugstore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama values family above anything. How does she show her love of her family throughout the book, even when times are rough or she is frustrated with her family?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
How are Katrin's school friends similar to the aunts? What changes do each group go through during the novel to make them good and/or evil?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)