|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christine in the hospital?
2. Who does Elizabeth belong too?
3. What kind of animal is Thor?
4. What school club does Christine lead?
5. What school is Katrin going to for her "High" education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
2. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
3. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
4. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
5. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
6. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
7. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
8. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
9. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
10. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nels, Dagmar, and Katrin each have passions. Whether it be medicine, writing, or animals, Mama always supports these passions. Explain how Mama allowed each to grow their passions throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)