|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Christine found a job?
2. Why does Cora say her and Nels can not join the family for dinner?
3. Which aunt has gossip about their old Aunt Elna?
4. What game is Mrs. Martin planning to play?
5. Who was Aunt Elna betrothed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the aunts and uncles give Mama money before she asks them for help?
2. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
3. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
4. Why does Nels break up with Cora?
5. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
6. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
7. Why is Mama understanding when Katrin tells her that she has stolen candy from the drugstore?
8. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
9. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
10. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 2
There is a common theme throughout the novel of anything being possible when it comes to family. Mama often says "is good" or "all is good." What does she mean by this statement, and why is it repeated throughout the book? Describe two or three instances when a family member shows that he or she will do anything to protect or show love for another family member.
Essay Topic 3
In the end of the book, Christine thinks she is dying after giving birth. How does Mama comfort Christine and make her realize she will not die? What do you imagine Mama said about being a mother? In your own words, what does being a mother mean to Mama?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)