|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dagmar ask Mama to do with the cat?
2. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
3. Who does Aunt Elna end up moving in with?
4. Who is wearing plasterer's overalls?
5. Which child is honored with a medal for outstanding achievement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
2. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
3. Why does Katrin get fired from her job?
4. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
5. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
6. Why does Mama go flying?
7. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
8. Why do the aunts and uncles come over when Papa goes to the hospital?
9. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
10. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 2
Mama has high expectations for her children, but also shows each of them unconditional love. What makes Mama a good parent?
Essay Topic 3
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)