|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christine leave her weekly wages?
2. Which aunt has gossip about their old Aunt Elna?
3. What does Nels nickname the refinished basement?
4. What type of cookies does Aunt Elna love to make?
5. What sense is Aunt Elna missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
2. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
3. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
4. Why does Papa tell Mr. Kenmore he can not go flying?
5. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
6. Why does Mama think it is bad for Dagmar to think Mama performed a miracle?
7. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
8. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
9. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
10. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Life is often about learning lessons and throughout the book, the children learn many valuable lessons. Explain two to three lessons the children learn and how they grow from such experiences.
Essay Topic 2
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the family's Norwegian culture play an important role throughout the novel? Does their cultural background add depth to the novel or is it unnecessary? Often times throughout the book the adults begin conversing in Norwegian. What is the importance of this?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)