|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks, "Now truly, indeed, do you have Peder?"
2. Where has Christine found a job?
3. What did Mama recall stealing from Aunt Jenny as a young woman?
4. What is Mr. Kenmore's Sunday hobby?
5. Which child is honored with a medal for outstanding achievement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Katrin upset when she learns how Mama has paid for her graduation present?
2. Why does Mama go flying?
3. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
4. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
5. Why is Mama shaking until she finds out Christine is going to be fine?
6. Why is Mrs. Beauchamp angry when she discovers who the carpenter is?
7. Why does Peder marry a woman from Oslo instead of Elna?
8. Why does Mama try to kill Uncle Elizabeth?
9. How is Mama able to afford Katrin's graduation present?
10. Why is Mama upset with Christine's choice to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Chris is a man who is disliked by much of his family for his strict and mean-hearted ways. When Uncle Chris passes, the family realizes that he may not have been as evil as they all thought. How was Uncle Chris' story ironic, and would the family have had different feelings towards him if they would have known the truth about him when he was alive?
Essay Topic 2
The family met the Martin family towards the end of the book and were disgusted at how they treated one another. In what ways were the families different? Which family would you rather be a part of and why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, the family lives in three different homes. Discuss the three homes by comparing their similarities and differences, and determine which home was most important to the family.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)