|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal is Thor?
2. What item does Cora Martin own that surprised Dagmar?
3. Why is Christine upset?
4. What is the name of the hospital Papa is at?
5. Who marries Miss Durant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Mama comfort Christine when Nels and Frank can not?
2. How is the Martin family different from Mama's family?
3. Why does Mrs. Beauchamp handle Dr. Beauchamp's accounting needs?
4. Why does Christine want to work instead of continuing her education?
5. How does Mama help Aunt Elna and Aunt Jenny?
6. Why does Cora call Nels "Nelson"?
7. Why does Papa pretend to be lazy about his household chores?
8. What does Mama buy with her coat money?
9. What is Aunt Elna's favorite thing to do?
10. Why does Katrin want a graduation present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is school so important to Mama and Papa? Would they be proud of their children if they chose not to go to school?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of savings accounts and banks are important throughout the book. Although the book is called "Mama's Bank Account" the family rarely mentions either account. Compare and contrast Mama's Bank Account and The Little Bank and explain why the author does not mention the accounts very much, but chooses to title the book after one of them.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, symbolism is an important theme. Discuss the use and meaning of the following symbols: the silver brooch, Christine's wages, and Katrin's writing brochures.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)